Inherited Family Food Quirks

Royalfan5

Crunchy ham sandwiches-two slices of sourdough bread, three slices of canned ham, sweet pickle relish, hand full of ruffles, slathered in Kraft real mayonaise on both slices of bread.  Many a night spent with buddies growing up eating these superb offerings while watching the late night horror flicks in black and white in the 60's.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pch said:

Crunchy ham sandwiches-two slices of sourdough bread, three slices of canned ham, sweet pickle relish, hand full of ruffles, slathered in Kraft real mayonaise on both slices of bread.  Many a night spent with buddies growing up eating these superb offerings while watching the late night horror flicks in black and white in the 60's.

You're a sadist aren't you.

• Haha 1

I just found out this isn't that common of a thing, but it was the way we always make cold meat sandwiches made for sack lunches during planting and harvest:

Butter in place of mayo.  The sandwiches are always wheat bread, butter, cheese, and ham or turkey.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/22/2021 at 11:01 AM, Damor said:

I grew up putting salt on grapefruit, thought it was weird to see people put sugar on it.  That's also what we left out for Santa instead of cookies when I was a kid.  Dunno if that was a South Texas thing or a weird family thing.

Probably because y'all were hoarding the ruby reds in South Texas forever. I grew up in Houston and didn't have one until I was about 12 (early '80s). I'd been sugaring those shitty pink grapefruit up until then, but shitty pink grapefruit are shitty, and ruby reds are not. Salt would rock on one, I bet. 

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I just found out this isn't that common of a thing, but it was the way we always make cold meat sandwiches made for sack lunches during planting and harvest:

Butter in place of mayo.  The sandwiches are always wheat bread, butter, cheese, and ham or turkey.

That's the default setting for a sandwich in England. Way too dry for my taste. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Probably because y'all were hoarding the ruby reds in South Texas forever. I grew up in Houston and didn't have one until I was about 12 (early '80s). I'd been sugaring those shitty pink grapefruit up until then, but shitty pink grapefruit are shitty, and ruby reds are not. Salt would rock on one, I bet. 

That's the default setting for a sandwich in England. Way too dry for my taste. 

When you're storing them in a fridge for 2-3 days, it actually seems like it keeps stuff from drying out.  I usually pack some mustard in my cooler because the previous arrangement is pretty bland, but I think it does serve the purpose of preserving it a little.

When my wife first saw this she was mystified as to why anyone would do that, and her hometown is 45 minutes away from mine and basically the exact same culturally, so I figured this must be a weird thing we did.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

One side of my family does that. Other had salad dressing(the Natural Light to Miracle Whips Busch Light) Also lots of summer sausage in place of other lunch meats. If Grandpa was involved in the planning might see a little heart and lung loaf.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 4:53 PM, burntorangebongos said:

When I was a wee one, mom would heat up a can of pork and beans or are they called baked beans? She would add cut up hot dogs and serve it on a plate with Ruffle potato chips. Somehow, maybe from a balogna sandwich, mustard got introduced to the chips. So after that, she'd add a mustard drizzle to my chips. I haven't eaten that since I was under 10 but little me loved it. I wonder if I could eat that now?

It was Van Camp's Pork and Beans! It had weird little cubes of pork that were super soft in with the beans. Ran across this when I was trying to remember. I'll give it a try this weekend, but maybe use HEB Kettle cooked crinkle cut with it to kick it up a notch. 

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Hook 'Em 1

One side of my family does that. Other had salad dressing(the Natural Light to Miracle Whips Busch Light) Also lots of summer sausage in place of other lunch meats. If Grandpa was involved in the planning might see a little heart and lung loaf.

Summer sausage was a staple of every family gathering. Summer sausage, sharp cheddar or longhorn colby, and Ritz crackers. An unimpeachable snack for any occasion.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I'm not a vegetarian.  I celebrate all forms of cooked animal flesh.  But... Morningstar Veggie Sausage is fucking delicious. 

My family has been eating it since I was a kid and I prefer it over real breakfast sausage.  It tastes nothing like real sausage, so if you are thinking of it as a substitute for pork you will be disappointed.  I just think of it as a completely different product.  I still eat it several times a week, with eggs, in tacos, alone as a quick snack...  My kids love it too.

Also, a huge scoop of peanut butter in a bowl, covered in pancake syrup, and stirred up.  Take two slices of bread and dip it in that delicious concoction one bite at a time with a glass of milk.  That was breakfast at Grandpa's house and it's still often breakfast at my house today.  

Edited by Your Mom
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I'm not a vegetarian.  I celebrate all forms of cooked animal flesh.  But... Morningstar Veggie Sausage is fucking delicious. 

My family has been eating it since I was a kid and I prefer it over real breakfast sausage.  It tastes nothing like real sausage, so if you are thinking of it as a substitute for pork you will be disappointed.  I just think of it as a completely different product.  I still eat it several times a week, with eggs, in tacos, alone as a quick snack...  My kids love it too.

Also, a huge scoop of peanut butter in a bowl, covered in pancake syrup, and stirred up.  Take two slices of bread and dip it in that delicious concoction one bite at a time with a glass of milk.  That was breakfast at Grandpa's house and it's still often breakfast at my house today.  

+1 on Morningstar.  Two slices of bread, sausage, and mustard here.

It was Van Camp's Pork and Beans! It had weird little cubes of pork that were super soft in with the beans. Ran across this when I was trying to remember. I'll give it a try this weekend, but maybe use HEB Kettle cooked crinkle cut with it to kick it up a notch. 

Not to rain on your parade, but are you thinking your mom invented beanie weenies? I mean, if she did, let's get her a Nobel prize. But I'm pretty sure this is a really common kids meal and has been for decades.

And to your point, yes, they are best with Van Camp's. I enjoyed introducing my kids to this one.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

No. Obviously, Van Camp's Pork and Beans has been around for at least 150 years. It was that it was the first meal that I remember liking because of the mixture of flavors. The bean sauce would soak into the Ruffle's potato chips and the mustard on the chips tasted good. I was a picky kid and didn't like my food to touch, or things mixed together. But this was so good I didn't care. 

• Like 2

On 5/20/2021 at 10:55 PM, Incredulity said:

Lutefisk 

My paternal grandfather was Danish, not Sweden, but we had our own Scandinavian gelatinous delicacy called Finker. A family cookbook from the 80s had multiple recipes for Finker, most of which called for wasting a gotdam brisket as one of the meats.

This is the one I’m including because it assumes the cook knows less (in case one of Surly wants to try it out...don’t forget to add brisket). You can add whatever odd leftover body parts you like.

A8288-D29-97-A7-46-D5-8-B28-E0-ADFE7-CD1

F5-AD1-C53-BECD-4-E59-91-D5-3-B8792-EA83

My grandparents (born in the 1880s) got me to try this once.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

31 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My paternal grandfather was Danish, not Sweden, but we had our own Scandinavian gelatinous delicacy called Finker. A family cookbook from the 80s had multiple recipes for Finker, most of which called for wasting a gotdam brisket as one of the meats.

This is the one I’m including because it assumes the cook knows less (in case one of Surly wants to try it out...don’t forget to add brisket). You can add whatever odd leftover body parts you like.

Sweden?

image.jpeg.550f7fe2e723415a2edd977c8ec0fbf8.jpeg

Norway!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

No. Obviously, Van Camp's Pork and Beans has been around for at least 150 years. It was that it was the first meal that I remember liking because of the mixture of flavors. The bean sauce would soak into the Ruffle's potato chips and the mustard on the chips tasted good. I was a picky kid and didn't like my food to touch, or things mixed together. But this was so good I didn't care. 

Yep.  Scooping baked beans with ruffles is a pro move. 

On 5/21/2021 at 7:03 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

We called it Del Rio chili when I was a kid, but it just consisted of a big can of Hormel chili, Rotel, Ranch style beans and some Velveeta.  Nuke it for 2 min in the microwave and serve over Fritos.  I feed that to the kids when my wife is gone.

Fancy!

My version growing up was a little simpler.  It was just ranch style beans, Fritos and shredded cheese.

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Sweden?

image.jpeg.550f7fe2e723415a2edd977c8ec0fbf8.jpeg

Norway!

My BIL’s extended family always goes to a Swedish Midsommar celebration at a small Lutheran church in what was once a small town.  We’ve gone with them, but after trying lutefisk, I passed in favor of the meatballs and lefsa with lingonberry jam.

24-A23300-2338-421-C-9-C99-2-C3338296346

Velveeta grilled cheese sandwiches dipped in catsup served with a mug of Campbell’s Tomato Soup. My wife thought I was crazy for dipping them in ketchup, but she became a convert.

I also loved frozen Chicken Pot Pies (Swanson ftmfw) with lots of crushed red pepper and black pepper as I grew older and more sophisticated.

Seemed like one of these was lunch most Saturdays growing up.

My go to for late night tv watching was frozen pizza with Ruffles. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

3 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Velveeta grilled cheese sandwiches dipped in catsup served with a mug of Campbell’s Tomato Soup. My wife thought I was crazy for dipping them in ketchup, but she became a convert.

I also loved frozen Chicken Pot Pies (Swanson ftmfw) with lots of crushed red pepper and black pepper as I grew older and more sophisticated.

Seemed like one of these was lunch most Saturdays growing up.

My go to for late night tv watching was frozen pizza with Ruffles. 

Marie Calendar's Pot Pies destroy Swanson's, Boston Market, or any other.

But never nuke them.  It's gotta be cooked in the oven.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

Lots of raw fruit and vegetables.

Salmon croquettes shaped like cartoon fish with olives for eyes.

In fact, we had tons of stuff like olives, pickles, sardines, feta... I jumped right into anchovies as soon as I could drive myself to a pizza joint. You don't want em? More for me.

Last thing my gramama ever cooked for me when she was in her 90s was the perfect grilled cheese sandwich. I have never found one as good, and I have looked.

My wife brings many recipes from Old Country Mother-in-law. Leverpastej, neckbone, French recipes with no skimping on the steps, when she goes through the checkout at the Mexican Supermarket, the clerks look at what she's buying and switch back to Spanish. She learned how to make real tortillas with cal.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/28/2021 at 10:25 AM, Your Mom said:

Ive eaten this since I was a kid, except with toast. But peanut butter and syrup is a fantastic combo.

Tomato Preserves

Cantaloupe/Pineapple Preserves

Dried venison sausage sliced thin on homemade bread with butter and pickles.

Cinnamon toast with mini marshmallows browned on top.

My grandmother used to keep root beer concentrate she'd mix with water.  That was soda at her house for a long time.

French fries on fajita taco with.    Thought about this listening to podcast week before last.  

Bowl of cottage cheese with sliced strawberries or canned peaches.   Sometimes just straight with salt and pepper.

On 5/21/2021 at 1:08 PM, Dutch said:

My grandpa and great-uncles forbade their wives from ever making Shit on a Shingle; apparently they had enough of it while in their respective branches of service to last a lifetime. 

My dad forbade Spam and spinach in the house.  The first from the war, and the second from growing up in the valley during depression.  He also taught us the salt on the grapefruit thing, because they had lots of grapefruit and salt was cheaper than sugar.

On 5/24/2021 at 3:17 PM, Frank The Tank said:

I pretty much only eat Fritos with a massive amount of Tabasco on top, from my dad. Add a cold glass of milk to cool you down along side just about any lunch sandwich and it’s a perfect meal. 

Now the bad part....Pear Salad. Several leaves of ice burg lettuce in a bowl, topped with pear halves out of the can. Then inside the pear pit it’s a spoonful of cottage cheese (or Miracle Whip for my dad) and topped with shredded velveeta. We ate this often enough as a kid that I thought it was normal. I had my wife make it one time a few years after we got married, we both agreed never again. 

If mother was feeling especially cheery, we got this pear thing with a half (never a whole) maraschino cherry on top.  And sometimes it was peaches instead of pears.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 1:24 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Mennonite style. I was raised on that.

Mom made a macaroni dish with sauteed onions and really thin cream gravy. She also made sloppy joes by adding canned chicken gumbo soup to browned hamburger and onions. I still make it that way.

• Hook 'Em 1

Zipper cream peas. 2 pounds of peas, 6 tbsp of chicken stock, 1 tsp of pepper, 1 stick of unsalted butter, 1 package of salt pork, and boil on high for 4 hours. I usually make this during football season. Pick up my order from Sides Pea Farm in Canton and leave them in the freezer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Forgot the frying pan action shot, but made some Ed McGill fried taters yesterday.  Big hit with the family and a blast from the past for me.

PXL_20210529_211606458_2.thumb.jpg.5130d9efdaa9f72b98e6ec2c346d87fc.jpg

I might add some garlic next time, although that's not canon and too highfalutin' for Gramp's fishing trip grub.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 5/24/2021 at 6:54 PM, Cousin Strawberry said:

Add ground beef/venison, cumin, oregano, chili powder, bell pepper, onion and sub egg noodles for macaroni and you have a legit Texas hash.  

Change the entire recipe and you have something completely different!

On 5/27/2021 at 10:59 AM, Willfully Horn said:

Pickled herring in sour cream. Yet the in-law’s rollmops seemed odd.

Any Poles in your family? This is called sledz w smietane and is pretty damn popular there.  It’s especially popular at Christmas time.  They usually add apples and onions. 

Yep Miracle Whip sandwiches by the ton as a kid, along with ketchup sandwiches.

My all time go to for sandwiches isn't that crazy, but dang they're good.

White bread, miracle whip, bologna or salami, a generous layer of Pace Picante Sauce (hotter the better), with a layer of nacho cheese Doritos.  Yummmm

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Any Poles in your family? This is called sledz w smietane and is pretty damn popular there.  It’s especially popular at Christmas time.  They usually add apples and onions. 

Apples and onions might have gone well with the herring. My father would eat them on New Years Day, and I assumed it was a family thing. Swiss. Town of Sattel.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Spelling

On 5/29/2021 at 9:54 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

if you squint really hard it's kinda like a terrine.