Inherited Family Food Quirks

Royalfan5

As I’m getting married soon, I’ve been trying to explain some of my family legacy dishes to my fiancé, like that our beloved beans and weenies recipe is hot dogs sliced vertically into green beans and a white sauce, we dip cookies and bars into leftover fruit syrup from canned fruit as part of dessert, and all still know how to make and like head cheese among other things. Mostly I’m trolling to see if anyone else did the hot dogs and green bean things but want to hear about other oddball dishes 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Denver Sandwich.

Sauté ground beef, onion, and bell pepper. Add some scrambled eggs and cook through. Mix in mayonnaise and a smaller amount of mustard. Serve on white bread.

Total white trash cooking but oddly delicious.

sounds fantastic, but fuck that mayo.

8 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Homemade cheap skate kolaches. (No fruit)

Small Pillsbury crescent rolls with Li’l smokey’s and some cheese inside. 

that ain't weird.  Those are great for 'movie nights' or when your teenage boys had friends over to the house.

Never fucking leftovers with them lil sumbeeches.

Peanut butter and pickle sandwiches are something I ate a lot of as a kid, but I think that was more of a poor thing than some family tradition.

I need to try it again.  My memory of it is awesome, but you HAVE to use crunchy peanut butter.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Frito sandwich.

That sounds pretty good.

We always put chips (sometimes fritos) on our cold meat sandwiches out of sack lunches during planting and harvest on the farm.  I still do it, and it definitely makes a cold ham and cheddar sandwich a little more interesting.

12 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

I suppose I should note I ate shit ton of miracle whip sandwiches growing up too. Graham crackers in milk as well. (Still do sometimes too on Graham crackers)

I think many people do graham crackers in milk.  Nailing the dunking time is crucial.  Pull out too early, and it won't have that pleasing moistness.  Leave it in too long, and you are going to have to go fishing or wait until the end and spoon out the dregs.  A nice variation is to make peanut butter sandwiches with the graham crackers, and then dunk those. 

I also like peanut butter on apple slices. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I think many people do graham crackers in milk.  Nailing the dunking time is crucial.  Pull out too early, and it won't have that pleasing moistness.  Leave it in too long, and you are going to have to go fishing or wait until the end and spoon out the dregs.  A nice variation is to make peanut butter sandwiches with the graham crackers, and then dunk those. 

I also like peanut butter on apple slices. 

I don't dunk, crumble them cover with milk, consume with spoon. 

2 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

You are missing out on the "match milk line to cracker seam" experience.  Why not just go this route?

General Mills Golden Grahams Cereal - Shop Cereal at H-E-B

Because they way I do it is how Grandma served it too me and I never saw any reason to change. 

• Like 1

Bacon mac and cheese sammich: Kraft Deluxe mac and chee and bunch of crumbled bacon (or nowadays Kirkland Real Bacon Pieces) betwixt buttered toast, often served with a side of bacon mac and cheese. One of my dad's go-to meals on Saturdays when he watched us while mom was at work.  My then-GF said "WTF is that?" when I made one while we were dating.  So I made her one.  She saw the light. I say with no small amount of pride that my daughter requests them from time to time.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

Can I take a minute, raise a glass, and offer a moment of reflection to all our dads (and grandfathers) who have shown us the finer side of the culinary ways of the world. My colors of my food life wouldn't be anywhere near as vibrant without his guidance.

Here's to you, dad. Requiescat in pace.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

As I’m getting married soon, I’ve been trying to explain some of my family legacy dishes to my fiancé, like that our beloved beans and weenies recipe is hot dogs sliced vertically into green beans and a white sauce, we dip cookies and bars into leftover fruit syrup from canned fruit as part of dessert, and all still know how to make and like head cheese among other things. Mostly I’m trolling to see if anyone else did the hot dogs and green bean things but want to hear about other oddball dishes 

52 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My grandfather used to make us sandwiches with a mixture of smashed Vienna sausages and mayo.  None of us had the heart to tell him "no".

These are perhaps the two most terrifying posts I've ever read in my 20+ years of being on the longhorn boards. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Denver Sandwich.

Sauté ground beef, onion, and bell pepper. Add some scrambled eggs and cook through. Mix in mayonnaise and a smaller amount of mustard. Serve on white bread.

Total white trash cooking but oddly delicious.

38 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Bacon mac and cheese sammich: Kraft Deluxe mac and chee and bunch of crumbled bacon (or nowadays Kirkland Real Bacon Pieces) betwixt buttered toast, often served with a side of bacon mac and cheese. One of my dad's go-to meals on Saturdays when he watched us while mom was at work.  My then-GF said "WTF is that?" when I made one while we were dating.  So I made her one.  She saw the light. I say with no small amount of pride that my daughter requests them from time to time.

These both sound quite awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Can I take a minute, raise a glass, and offer a moment of reflection to all our dads (and grandfathers) who have shown us the finer side of the culinary ways of the world. My colors of my food life wouldn't be anywhere near as vibrant without his guidance.

Here's to you, dad. Requiescat in pace.

One of my Grandpa's just made what he called slop all the time, where he just mixed whatever he could find in the fridge and cooked and ate it. (He also loved mixing salad dressings together in the bottles and putting them back.) He cooked his own meals, and grandma cooked for everyone else. Also refused to wear his dentures and just gummed meat until he could swallow. Also quit wearing pants once he lost his legs to the diabetes too. 

We called them Arkansawyers.

Cut up canned biscuits and fry in a cast iron lightly coated with oil and bacon grease.  Mix up sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.  Cook the biscuits to a nice brown on all sides so they're not too doughy, then shake/toss in the sugar/cinnamon mixture.  Cheap as shit, tasty saturday morning breakfast.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Queso, not shredded cheese for fajitas. 

Also, either queso with the meal (bonus is you eat less chips) or two bowls (rare) so...

1. still queso left when fajitas arrives

2. still hot

Shredded cheese makes a DAF F, was so disappointed as a kid to find this was not SOP at other homes

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

Dad always asked mom to make him a sanGwich.  I don't know if he still says that or not, i'm gonna go with probably. I'll start with, probably, one that is common to some of you.  He did the peanuts in pop thing.  Next, he had a thing for potted meats, not spam.  No, he opted for Deviled Ham spread...with pimento cheese on top.  Lastly, he could not get enough of Luby's lime green jello salad.  I can't even tell what in tarnation is in that mess.  I assure you that none of those tastes/quirks were passed down.  Not to one of us.      

• Hook 'Em 1

Cut up canned biscuits and fry in a cast iron lightly coated with oil and bacon grease.  Mix up sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.  Cook the biscuits to a nice brown on all sides so they're not too doughy, then shake/toss in the sugar/cinnamon mixture.  Cheap as shit, tasty saturday morning breakfast.  

My grandma would fry cut in half canned biscuits in Crisco. Salt and sugar them right out of the grease.

IIRC, biscuits are basically the same recipe as donuts. The OG Gordough trailer fried up Grand Biscuits as their “donut”.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

I suppose I should note that bread at dinner time was also topped with margarine and various jellies. (To be fair oleo was written on reusable margarine container) 

White bread with margarine was a regular side dish.  Sometimes white bread was worked into the main dish - prime example was shit on a shingle.  As near as I can remember, it was toast with hamburger cream gravy.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

White bread with margarine was a regular side dish.  Sometimes white bread was worked into the main dish - prime example was shit on a shingle.  As near as I can remember, it was toast with hamburger cream gravy.

My grandpa and great-uncles forbade their wives from ever making Shit on a Shingle; apparently they had enough of it while in their respective branches of service to last a lifetime. 

my dad made hot dog soup - which was a can of Campbell's tomato soup and a couple can's worth of milk as the broth, a can of corn, cubed potatoes, sauteed onions, and chopped up hot dogs. 

i asked him to make it when i went home to visit my folks well into my late 20s and maybe later. 

i don't make it for myself these days and my dad is too old to cook, but damn if it doesn't sound pretty good as i type it out now

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

We have that and chipped beef every so often.  Jr is wanting momma to make it while we're down in Dallas next month.  

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Cinnamon roles?