Inherited Family Food Quirks

Royalfan5

You want my Dad's tamale cassarole. Can of Hormel tamales, can of yellow hominy, can of chili. Dump the tamales in a baking dish, add the hominy, smother with chili. Bake 30-40 min. Dee lish.

We did the same with chopped onions and shredded cheese.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I grew up in the Midwest and there are a number of things my half-Mexican wife from New Braunfels was disturbed by.

Early in our marriage, nearly 15 years ago, I got sick with flu or strep or something. My wife asked what comfort food I wanted. I told her to call my mom and get the recipe for soup casserole. After a WTF? look, she did. It's basically a shortcut shepherd's pie. Browned ground beef mixed with Campbell's alphabet soup and some canned vegetables ( usually green beans). Then it all goes in a casserole, gets covered with mashed potatoes and baked. It really is phenomenal. Wife and kids all love it and it's in it regular rotation.

Another one from mom is salmon lasagna. Just a basic lasagna recipe but with canned salmon instead of meat. Sounds gross, but the salmon with red sauce is really good. My wife had to admit this one was good too.

Then there are a couple from my grandparents. A holiday tradition is braised red cabbage (cabbage, bacon, onion, apples, vinegar). My grandfather would also make braunschweiger spread by just mixing braunschweiger with chili sauce until it was a smooth spread/dip. Kids love that one too.

And the cottage cheese comment above reminded me, mom got me in the habit of putting a spoonful of cottage cheese alongside a plate of spaghetti. Not all the time, but if we remember. That's another one my wife came around to.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Speaking of braunschweiger, we have dip/spread that is basically adding a layer of cream cheese to braunschweiger and providing crackers. Also have a beloved dishes that is an apples, sweet potato and sausage casserole. Also, I’ve at far more pork ribs in my life that were made in an electric skillet and covered in kraut than any other way 

• Hook 'Em 1

We did one mom called fried rice.  

brown 2 lbs ground beef with 1 DICED yellow onion and 2 cloves minced garlic.   Cook 3 cups white rice.  When the meat and rice are done, combine and mix with BBQ sauce until a nice light brown color is achieved.   Dump some black pepper and Louisiana Hot Sauce on top and it’s a tasty, quick meal. 

I grew up putting salt on grapefruit, thought it was weird to see people put sugar on it.  That's also what we left out for Santa instead of cookies when I was a kid.  Dunno if that was a South Texas thing or a weird family thing.

And yeah, my grandfather's idea of lunch when fishing was invariably Vienna sausages on saltines.  Sometimes accompanied by half an onion, eaten like an apple.  Fortunately, he usually redeemed himself at supper with T-bones and what he called "Ed McGill Fried Taters" after his old fishing buddy:  sliced potatoes and onions fried in a skillet with tons of salt and pepper.  Damn, I need to make me some of that.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Gladeite said:

Hot Dr. Pepper.  Mom/grandmothers used to warm Dr. Pepper on the stove and serve to the kids in the winter.  With a slice of lemon.  Very good on a cold(Texas) day.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Damor said:

I grew up putting salt on grapefruit, thought it was weird to see people put sugar on it.  That's also what we left out for Santa instead of cookies when I was a kid.  Dunno if that was a South Texas thing or a weird family thing.

And yeah, my grandfather's idea of lunch when fishing was invariably Vienna sausages on saltines.  Sometimes accompanied by half an onion, eaten like an apple.  Fortunately, he usually redeemed himself at supper with T-bones and what he called "Ed McGill Fried Taters" after his old fishing buddy:  sliced potatoes and onions fried in a skillet with tons of salt and pepper.  Damn, I need to make me some of that.

I’d slam some of those taters 

5 hours ago, Damor said:

When my dad would take me fishing, he'd set cans of Vienna sausages and beanie weenies out on the stern to heat up in the sun for lunch. 

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 1

My dad made something he called “dad sandwiches” which was just American cheese slices, sliced hot dogs, put on top of white bread and slid under a broiler. Not bad at all.

We did one like that we called Burnt Weenie Sandwich.

Slice the weenies and fold them open
In the folds insert slivers of cheese and chopped onions

Add Worcestershire Sauce and Tabasco

Broil until the edges are burnt and crispy and the cheese is melted. Make a sandwich with available bread with Mustard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m reluctant to share my idea for upgrading the traditional frito sandwich, but what the hell. Only reason I haven’t tried it is I don’t buy white bread anymore and white bread is the only bread for a frito sandwich.

So...

Slice of white bread, spread jalapeño bean dip on the bread. Add copious amount of Fritos. Sprinkle some Mexican cheese blend (probably the cheaper the better). Another jalapeño bean dip slice of white bread.

I could sell that for $15 at a food truck in Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m reluctant to share my idea for upgrading the traditional frito sandwich, but what the hell. Only reason I haven’t tried it is I don’t buy white bread anymore and white bread is the only bread for a frito sandwich.

So...

Slice of white bread, spread jalapeño bean dip on the bread. Add copious amount of Fritos. Sprinkle some Mexican cheese blend (probably the cheaper the better). Another jalapeño bean dip slice of white bread.

I could sell that for $15 at a food truck in Austin.

Add Flaming Hot Cheetos for a $4 upcharge.  Or Takis if it's an authentico kind of place.

13 hours ago, fuggled said:

And the cottage cheese comment above reminded me, mom got me in the habit of putting a spoonful of cottage cheese alongside a plate of spaghetti. Not all the time, but if we remember. That's another one my wife came around to.

cottage cheese on spaghetti or lasagna is really good. 

Some already mentioned are similar to things we had growing up:

• Butter bread - got sophisticated later in life and added garlic salt to it
  • Sugar toast - one of my grandmothers would set us grandkids up in an assembly line to put them together
  • Goulash/slum gullion - I forgot one or both of my parents called it slum gullion instead of goulash
  • Deviled ham sammich with diced pickles and a shitton of Miracle Whip, mom would try to sneak in celery, but dad wasn't having any of that

And then a couple things I've come up with:

• Crumbs in your chip bag you don't want to waste?  Put em in a bowl with salsa, japs, and cheese.  Nuke it.  Walla!  Basically frito pie with salsa instead of chili.
  • Grilled jalapeno popper and cheese sammich.  I try to save 3-4 poppers when I make them, so I can make this the next day.  If available, sub pimento cheese for 'Murican slices.  
  • Gumbo over cornbread dressing.  I guess it's not an original, but I'd never heard of people doing it before I started.  We almost always do traditional turkey/dressing at Thanksgiving and gumbo the night before.  Gotta start getting creative with the leftovers by Sat/Sun.  I will say that gumbo on a shingle was an extremely poor concept conjured by a mind weakened by a long day of drinking.  
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

Holliday salad. Some bastard creation of lemon and lime jello, cottage cheese, apples, pineapple, nuts, and mayonnaise.   Looks like vomit and would not eat it as a kid. Now it is a must have during the holidays. 

that sounds a lot like jello salad from the 70s. 

12 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

• Crumbs in your chip bag you don't want to waste?  Put em in a bowl with salsa, japs, and cheese.  Nuke it.  Walla!  Basically frito pie with salsa instead of chili.
  •  

I've absolutely done this with the end of a bag of chips. Cheese, japs, salsa, nuke, eat with a fork. 

I pretty much only eat Fritos with a massive amount of Tabasco on top, from my dad. Add a cold glass of milk to cool you down along side just about any lunch sandwich and it’s a perfect meal. 

Now the bad part....Pear Salad. Several leaves of ice burg lettuce in a bowl, topped with pear halves out of the can. Then inside the pear pit it’s a spoonful of cottage cheese (or Miracle Whip for my dad) and topped with shredded velveeta. We ate this often enough as a kid that I thought it was normal. I had my wife make it one time a few years after we got married, we both agreed never again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank The Tank said:

Now the bad part....Pear Salad. Several leaves of ice burg lettuce in a bowl, topped with pear halves out of the can. Then inside the pear pit it’s a spoonful of cottage cheese (or Miracle Whip for my dad) and topped with shredded velveeta. We ate this often enough as a kid that I thought it was normal. I had my wife make it one time a few years after we got married, we both agreed never again. 

disgusted face GIF

On 5/21/2021 at 3:06 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Macaroni and Tomatoes.  Elbow macaroni and Hunt's diced tomatoes.  Salt.  Pepper.  

Apparently, it's a West Virginia thing from where my folks are from.  Great hangover meal.

Add ground beef/venison, cumin, oregano, chili powder, bell pepper, onion and sub egg noodles for macaroni and you have a legit Texas hash.  

On 5/23/2021 at 9:50 PM, Redneck Mutha said:

• Sugar toast - one of my grandmothers would set us grandkids up in an assembly line to put them together
  • Goulash/slum gullion - I forgot one or both of my parents called it slum gullion instead of goulash
  • Deviled ham sammich with diced pickles and a shitton of Miracle Whip, mom would try to sneak in celery, but dad wasn't having any of that

• Grilled jalapeno popper and cheese sammich.  I try to save 3-4 poppers when I make them, so I can make this the next day.  If available, sub pimento cheese for 'Murican slices.  
  • Gumbo over cornbread dressing.  I guess it's not an original, but I'd never heard of people doing it before I started.  We almost always do traditional turkey/dressing at Thanksgiving and gumbo the night before.  Gotta start getting creative with the leftovers by Sat/Sun.  I will say that gumbo on a shingle was an extremely poor concept conjured by a mind weakened by a long day of drinking.  

Browned hamburger meat with taco seasoning, Spanish rice, bottom of tortilla chip bag, a bunch of salsa and some sliced jalapeños.   We called it Mexican Jambalaya.  

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 10:50 PM, Redneck Mutha said:

Son of a bitch. I’m over 65 and I have never thought to add a dab of garlic salt to butter and bread. What a great fucking idea!

For my generation of military dependents B&B was more of a snack simply because where we were stationed.

7 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Browned hamburger meat with taco seasoning, Spanish rice, bottom of tortilla chip bag, a bunch of salsa and some sliced jalapeños.   We called it Mexican Jambalaya.  

Ghetto taco salad. This is good stuff.

Thriw some lettuce and grated cheese on there. You can swap out the tortilla chips with smashed Doritos for extra flavor too. 

I loved my grandma’s plantation supper as a kid, made it recently and it’s still a damn good easy meal.  Basically brown some ground beef with some onions.   Then mix in milk, cream of mushroom soup, cream cheese, corn, pimientos and simmer.   Then add cooked egg noodles.  Goes perfect with your favorite pepper sauce.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/25/2021 at 6:12 AM, Enchubben said:

Ghetto taco salad. This is good stuff.

Thriw some lettuce and grated cheese on there. You can swap out the tortilla chips with smashed Doritos for extra flavor too. 

I made taco salad last night - Fritos, taco meat, cheese, pico, guac, salsa, lettuce, and Green Goddess salad dressing.

• Hook 'Em 2

When I was a wee one, mom would heat up a can of pork and beans or are they called baked beans? She would add cut up hot dogs and serve it on a plate with Ruffle potato chips. Somehow, maybe from a balogna sandwich, mustard got introduced to the chips. So after that, she'd add a mustard drizzle to my chips. I haven't eaten that since I was under 10 but little me loved it. I wonder if I could eat that now?

• Hook 'Em 1