Thoughts on the new Texas Constitutional Carry?

Armybrat

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

It affirmatively states that "The mere possession or carrying of a firearm, openly or concealed, with or without a Concealed Handgun License, shall not constitute probable cause for a peace officer to disarm or detain an otherwise law-abiding person."

Yes, by law in Texas a cop can disarm a licensed carrier they have detained for whatever reason.... even a traffic stop

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Yes, by law in Texas a cop can disarm a licensed carrier they have detained for whatever reason.... even a traffic stop

Yep, which is why if you are carrying and have an interaction with a LEO, you damn well better tell them you are carrying and where exactly the holster is...then wait for VERY detailed instructions on what they want you to do while keeping your hands in plain sight for them to see at all times.  

After further research, the text I quoted was in a different constitutional carry house bill that was introduced this session, not the one that was voted on last night. In its place is the following: "A peace officer may not disarm or detain a person under Subsection (a) (me: subsection (a) is what gives cops the right to disarm someone) solely because the person is carrying a concealed or holstered weapon."

Seems like there was a bit of a battle over this and I'm guessing this new language was intended to give officers a little more leeway, but I'm not sure it really does.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Way up thread I think it was deadshank who asked if anyone had drawn their weapon. He gave an example when he thought he needed or was glad he had his pistol. I don’t recall anyone answering. I would be interested to hear of instances where y’all drew your weapon or felt you needed one and the circumstances that surrounded that experience.

I told the story years ago on previous iterations of this this community.

Living in historic district near Five Points, Denver during open gang warfare summer (crips/bloods/latino gangs (Inca St. Boys). Shotgun drawn on attempted home invasion. Invader broke door glass (1890's home with heavy glass). Perp reached for deadbolt after breaking glass. Warning giving - "if your hand touches lock, I shoot you." Hand withdraws. Federal Protective Service (federal judge on the block) and DPD arrive within 10 minutes. 

Those in harm's way were in cast iron tubs on second and third floors, as we planned for this scenario (that became likely as the violence spread that summer). I had no worries about hitting a friendly in that scenario. Controlled setting made it much easier. I can't imagine trying to target a perp in a fluid public setting. 

Situational awareness is your best friend - weapon or no weapon. Fear is the mind killer in those situations and the fog of war is not an excuse. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

After further research, the text I quoted was in a different constitutional carry house bill that was introduced this session, not the one that was voted on last night. In its place is the following: "A peace officer may not disarm or detain a person under Subsection (a) (me: subsection (a) is what gives cops the right to disarm someone) solely because the person is carrying a concealed or holstered weapon."

Seems like there was a bit of a battle over this and I'm guessing this new language was intended to give officers a little more leeway, but I'm not sure it really does.

Thanks, I haven’t read all the amendment language yet.

42 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep, which is why if you are carrying and have an interaction with a LEO, you damn well better tell them you are carrying and where exactly the holster is...then wait for VERY detailed instructions on what they want you to do while keeping your hands in plain sight for them to see at all times.  

No furtive movements plz.

54 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

bought my first weed at the royal rack room from a rasta dude. he put it in a styrofoam cup, so i just casually rolled out of there with a styrofoam cup full of weed. spent every waking minute of the next 15 years stoned out of my gourd.

That was one big cup. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I’m not a huge fan of constitutional carry (not that anyone here cares what I think) but do wish getting a permit was easier/cheaper.

Perfect world would be this:
Go to a gun range
Demonstrate proficiency
Upload proficiency doc
Get new DL that now shows you have an LTC
Pay $10

I'm on board with that.  ND Enhanced carry is 4 hours in class and 1-2 hours on the range.  It's a good thing.

48 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Situational awareness is your best friend

100%.  I do find myself more "turned on" when I carry, as I'm nervous someone will see me printing, act weird, etc.  I try to stay small when I carry and never stand out.  

49 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Living in historic district near Five Points, Denver during open gang warfare summer (crips/bloods/latino gangs (Inca St. Boys). Shotgun drawn on attempted home invasion. Invader broke door glass (1890's home with heavy glass). Perp reached for deadbolt after breaking glass. Warning giving - "if your hand touches lock, I shoot you." Hand withdraws. Federal Protective Service (federal judge on the block) and DPD arrive within 10 minutes. 

Those in harm's way were in cast iron tubs on second and third floors, as we planned for this scenario (that became likely as the violence spread that summer). I had no worries about hitting a friendly in that scenario. Controlled setting made it much easier. I can't imagine trying to target a perp in a fluid public setting. 

Living in a bad area, you were probably ready when at home.  Problem is most are not.  What you need is time.  Almost nobody carries in their own home, which is where you might need it the most.  I have to loud ass dogs that bark at every event, which was always the plan.  They are harmless and sweet, but I can their barks from the kids coming home from school, or a stranger.  Someone crashes into the house and they will go nuts, hopefully buying me a little time to get the gun out of the safe in the nightstand.  

That you have "a plan" is also to be commended.  Fire.  Gas.  Home invasion.  Nothing crazy or "tacticool", but everyone on the same page is so important.  Good on you.  

42 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

100%.  I do find myself more "turned on" when I carry, as I'm nervous someone will see me printing, act weird, etc.  I try to stay small when I carry and never stand out.  

Living in a bad area, you were probably ready when at home.  Problem is most are not.  What you need is time.  Almost nobody carries in their own home, which is where you might need it the most.  I have to loud ass dogs that bark at every event, which was always the plan.  They are harmless and sweet, but I can their barks from the kids coming home from school, or a stranger.  Someone crashes into the house and they will go nuts, hopefully buying me a little time to get the gun out of the safe in the nightstand.  

This is why God invented Claymores brah.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Here is the Conference Committee Report with the agreed language:

https://lrl.texas.gov/scanned/87ccrs/hb1927.pdf#navpanes=0

Looks like the House bill's language preventing investigatory stops based on carrying a gun got removed. 

ETA: also, this conference report doesn't have the new disarmament language I quoted above, which I took from the engrossed version of the House's bill. I don't know what's up with that. Anyway, looks like cops can still disarm anyone they want.

Edited by wildcat09

My wife carries but I don’t. I don’t trust myself with a gun. I guess I was a strong supporter of concealed carry up until about 5 years ago. I just don’t trust some of these idiots with guns but then again criminals carry guns. I would probably feel better about things if everyone wasn’t so high strung right now. 

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

So no furtive movements?

Open carry is like wearing a “shoot me first” sign. 
I've always thought the same thing, and I'm a CC license holder. No way I hell would I open carry.

That's completely a "look at me look at me YOU FUCKING BETTER LOOK AT ME" statement if I have ever seen one.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don’t want to live in a world where you need to carry a gun to feel safe. My little contribution to creating the world I want to live in is that I won’t ever carry a gun for personal protection.  I’ll rely on statistics to make me feel safe.   And if it just so happens that my number’s up, then it’s up.  
Move to Chicago. They are illegal there.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Who here has had to draw your pistol to protect yourself?  Concealed, OC or otherwise? 

Not looking for bad-ass shot out  stories.  Has anyone?  Did you torch off a shot?  Was the mere display of a pistol sufficient for causing the threat to back down?
I don’t have a CHL anymore as it has lapsed and the CD extended to vehicles.  I keep a pistol with me in my truck when going to and from my deer camp and on me at all times while at camp.  

When I did have a CHL I actually needed a pistol twice.  Both times I was approached by individuals with bad intent and each instance was related to Houston hurricane mass hysteria.  No shots were fired and the pistol wasn’t pointed at anyone.  The mere fact that they saw I was armed gave them pause to find better things to do.  
I've had to brandish once in shreveport at a gas station heading home maybe 8 to 10 years ago after a late flight.

By myself at a gas station and saw a guy walking my way while pumping. Grabbed my pistol and held it low when he was maybe 50 feet away and he turned the other way. That would have gone South if I didn't have my gun.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Or a male.  Or between 18-40.  Age and gender have a lot more correlation to your likelihood of being shot by a cop than your skin color.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

I've had to brandish once in shreveport at a gas station heading home maybe 8 to 10 years ago after a late flight.

By myself at a gas station and saw a guy walking my way while pumping. Grabbed my pistol and held it low when he was maybe 50 feet away and he turned the other way. That would have gone South if I didn't have my gun.

According to the CDC there are hundreds of thousands of events like that each year.  "Instances" where someone feels threatened and either has a show of force or actually has to point the weapon.  

13 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

My wife carries but I don’t. I don’t trust myself with a gun. I guess I was a strong supporter of concealed carry up until about 5 years ago. I just don’t trust some of these idiots with guns but then again criminals carry guns. I would probably feel better about things if everyone wasn’t so high strung right now. 

EBD4197C-3B23-4C63-9442-12021D1C4945.jpeg

13 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

My wife carries but I don’t. I don’t trust myself with a gun

Comfort comes from time and exposure.  I grew up hunting, and guns were exclusively for that purpose.  We had ONE pistol.  A Ruger MKI for snakes.  It took me a while to get comfortable with them and I'm still not great with them.  

What helped me was cleaning them.  Get the manual, and take it apart.  See how it works.  See exactly what it does, how it does it.  Let your kids help you if you have and want to expose them.  It was my job as a kid after hunts.  Hated it at the time.  Later learned it was invaluable.  I knew every gun like my kids know their iPhones.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Comfort comes from time and exposure.  I grew up hunting, and guns were exclusively for that purpose.  We had ONE pistol.  A Ruger MKI for snakes.  It took me a while to get comfortable with them and I'm still not great with them.  

What helped me was cleaning them.  Get the manual, and take it apart.  See how it works.  See exactly what it does, how it does it.  Let your kids help you if you have and want to expose them.  It was my job as a kid after hunts.  Hated it at the time.  Later learned it was invaluable.  I knew every gun like my kids know their iPhones.  

That's how the Army taught us. Clean it first and learn the weapon then treat it as a weapon.  I didn't touch a pistol until I was in the Army and deployed for Desert Storm.  I was issued a pistol, pretty much everyone had one and most of us had never fired one or knew how to clean that pistol.  In fact I was cleaning said pistol, the 45, sitting in APC monitoring radio for 7th Corps TAC, when I was assembling I let the spring at the end of barrel shoot out and it went out the APC and in front the Crops map, General Franks was getting a briefing and here comes this spring flying out there.  They all knew me and got a good laugh out of it....  Scared the heck out me thought i was going to get an ass chewing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

Sounds like you escaped certain death there in Shreveport.  roll eyes

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, TexasGrunt said:

That's how the Army taught us. Clean it first and learn the weapon then treat it as a weapon.  I didn't touch a pistol until I was in the Army and deployed for Desert Storm.  I was issued a pistol, pretty much everyone had one and most of us had never fired one or knew how to clean that pistol.  In fact I was cleaning said pistol, the 45, sitting in APC monitoring radio for 7th Corps TAC, when I was assembling I let the spring at the end of barrel shoot out and it went out the APC and in front the Crops map, General Franks was getting a briefing and here comes this spring flying out there.  They all knew me and got a good laugh out of it....  Scared the heck out me thought i was going to get an ass chewing.

LOL.  My best friend was an Abrams driver for the 24th Mech.  The "speedbump" unit first deployed over there.  Speedbump as everyone thought the Iraqi's could/would roll right into and over them if they wanted.  Never did happen.  He didn't deploy in GWI, but his TC did.  Said they took a sabot round to the front glacis plate....ZING!  Like a .22lr bounding off a metal plate.  They think it came from either a T-54 or a T-62, so it was under-gunned against the Abrams.  

11 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, zero chance there was any danger whatsoever.  roll eyes

The false choice game is a fun one!

Maybe. We all have gut instincts that can save us or make us look foolish. No one died or was hurt, so that’s good, but I’m just picturing some guy on the Centenary College message board telling the story of walking to get a Gordita Supreme from Taco Bell when some lunatic at a gas station pulled a gun on him.

A hopeful run for the border diverted; shame and fear at the pump; forced to eat Jack in the Box tacos in indignity; hunger is not a crime.

• Haha 4