Fast food - no (few) employees available

Nice Guy Eddie

NYT's Upshot on how fast food restaurants have grown by 40% since 2000 but teenagers in the labor force have declined by 30% in the same time.   And even the overall supply of 16-19 year olds only grew by 5%.  Result is difficulty in hiring and/or more adults in these jobs.

NYT_fastfood.jpg

“Thirty years ago, I would not put up with the stuff I put up with today,” said John Motta, a longtime Dunkin’ Donuts franchisee in Nashua, N.H. When an employee recently missed a shift, one of his stores could serve only drive-through customers for about an hour.

“You try not to be too harsh on them,” he said, “because you’re afraid tomorrow they’re not going to show up.” 

Guess its a good time to be a teenager and you can dictate when/how you work.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/03/upshot/fast-food-jobs-teenagers-shortage.html

21 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Sounds like the chances of getting poo poo or pee pee in your fast food happy meal are going up significantly.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Had a friend from high school who's older brother would regularly spit loogies on the hamburgers at Wendy's. 1980's - San Antonio - Wurzbach Road location FYI.

7 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Had a friend from high school who's older brother would regularly spit loogies on the hamburgers at Wendy's. 1980's - San Antonio - Wurzbach Road location FYI.

That SOB.  I used to live with my girlfriend (now wife) in the apartment complex behind that location I believe.  This was late 90's however.  New crop of loogies providers I suppose.

3 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Maybe the calls for $15/hour for fast food workers weren’t quite as far above market as they first seemed.

Nobody was outraged that $15/ hr might be paid, but rather that it was going to be mandated.

Details...

4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

What happened around 2001 that wrecked the trend?  

It looks like the two big declines in teenage labor force participation and employment coincided with our last two recessions. You can only speculate, but I'd hazard a guess that employers preferred older workers as they became available (i.e. unemployed) to teenagers. The graph, however, does show that the hiring of teenagers has gradually picked back up over the last few years.

On strictly anecdotal evidence, the nicer fast food places around here (Culver’s, Freddy’s, Chik-Fil-a, Runza) seem to have no problem finding fresh faced teens, and are usually over staffed. The McDonalds have recent immigrants, and everyone else is understaffed badly with few folk that don’t have a collection of job stoppers. 

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

On strictly anecdotal evidence, the nicer fast food places around here (Culver’s, Freddy’s, Chik-Fil-a, Runza) seem to have no problem finding fresh faced teens, and are usually over staffed. The McDonalds have recent immigrants, and everyone else is understaffed badly with few folk that don’t have a collection of job stoppers. 

Mighty Fine really has their shit together.  I almost wish I could tip those kids.

52 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Is it the same level of outrage you had when you signed up for selective service? 

WTF does a mandated registration program have to do with grossly artificial wage increases?

{30 for 30 voice}What if I told you this war mongering imperialist pig never signed up for Selective Service?

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

Hey, I started out mopping the floor just like you guys. But now... now I'm washing lettuce. Soon I'll be on fries; then the grill. In a year or two, I'll make assistant manager, and that's when the big bucks start rolling in.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, slorch said:

WTF does a mandated registration program have to do with grossly artificial wage increases?

{30 for 30 voice}What if I told you this war mongering imperialist pig never signed up for Selective Service?

Both are government mandates. I'm just trying to figure out which mandates are OK.

And as long as we're talking about grossly artificial wage increases, are you upset about grossly artificial prices as well? You know, for things like oil, corn, automobiles, planes -- things like that.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

21 minutes ago, slorch said:

you're trolling like a motherfucker and know it.

Of course not every mandate is the same.

What about grossly artificial prices for goods and services? Are you OK with those? Or do you just have a problem with grossly artificial prices for labor?

Edited by David Dennison
  • Fuck You 3

For fuck’s sake David, if you want a thread about artificial pricing go start it somewhere else. Slorch and I rarely share the same political view but you can be in favor of some mandates while thinking others are horseshit.  

On topic, fuck fast food. I indulge from time to time but the whole country would be better off if every single fast food joint gradually disappeared. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chuychanga said:

For fuck’s sake David, if you want a thread about artificial pricing go start it somewhere else. Slorch and I rarely share the same political view but you can be in favor of some mandates while thinking others are horseshit.

12 hours ago, slorch said:

Nobody was outraged that $15/ hr might be paid, but rather that it was going to be mandated.

Details...

Apparently.

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I remember several years ago reading about how fast-food was being taken over by mexicans, because white kids would prefer to work at some shitty store at the mall instead of taco bell

Sometimes I'll stop in a Taco Bell, and there's some guy who was obviously riding the Mexico City subway a month before, and he's eating his food, seems happy...

...and I wonder if he even notices that Taco Bell is allegedly Mexican food. There's got to be no way he realizes that.