Meanwhile in China

RPM

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Parliament said:

They tried this before and it was extremely effective...at ridding their population of people.  Now they have an overpopulation of men.  Seems like an effective plan maybe.  

This:

Guangdong's plan, which was widely panned on social media, coincided with the rate of urban unemployment among 16- to 24-year-olds surging to 19.6%, the second highest level on record.

Is not a group of people you want hanging around and unemployed, because good old fashioned dissent usually comes out of that group.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Parliament said:

They tried this before and it was extremely effective...at ridding their population of people.  Now they have an overpopulation of men.  Seems like an effective plan maybe.  

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/30/economy/china-youth-unemployment-intl-hnk/index.html

Screenshot_20230501-214623_Chrome.jpg

Ya know, Russia is gonna be missing a generation of men and needing a workforce....

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, F250 said:

Does the Chinese military have any battle experience? When was the last time they fought a war?

The border war with Vietnam was probably their biggest in the last 50 years.  They tangle with the Indians in the Himalayas but it never works out for them.

And they've never conducted an amphibious assault of any size.  So yeah, there's a lot ways things can go south for them.  The Russians actually had combat experienced veterans and pilots from Syria, Chechnya, and various Wagner operations, and they still couldn't get their shit together.

A big part of the Russian failure is the inability (or unwillingness) for junior officers/NCOs to take the initiative, with senior Russian officers having to make decisions that in the US Army, would be made by sergeants or second/first lieutenants (and the US military generally rewards the lower ranks taking the initiative).  That's both due to training (or lack thereof), a lack of professional development of junior officers/NCOs, and a fear of fucking up within their system and being severely punished.

I'm wondering how rigid the Chinese military is, because I'm assuming it's going to be similar to the Russian in that aspect - lower ranks not having the authority to make decisions on a dynamic battlefield, or too afraid to fuck up and be punished, or just not trained to think independently, so passing the buck up the chain-of-command.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm wondering how rigid the Chinese military is, because I'm assuming it's going to be similar to the Russian in that aspect - lower ranks not having the authority to make decisions on a dynamic battlefield, or too afraid to fuck up and be punished, or just not trained to think independently, so passing the buck up the chain-of-command.

I think it’s safe to assume the dynamic will be the same as Russia in combat. Largely top down control and decision making, and if/when they decide to go, it will be all in. We have to be ready for that level of commitment.

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

And kind of tied the Russians in 69. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Soviet_border_conflict

Yeah, I thought about that one after.  It's been a long time since the Chinese had successful campaigns, and even then it was mostly against other Chinese.  I'm thinking the Communists coming to power was the last time.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

And even that one was at tremendous cost. Then add the aftermath of the reeducation camps. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_People's_Republic_of_China

This is an interesting list.  While there are many stalemates and supposed "victories,"  it seems to me that many of them are distinguishable from a scenario where the PLA was the main player, rather than part of a group or having someone else doing the fighting.  One wonders how often Wiki has to comb through this page to prevent Chinese propaganda from showing up.  

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_People's_Republic_of_China

This is an interesting list.  While there are many stalemates and supposed "victories,"  it seems to me that many of them are distinguishable from a scenario where the PLA was the main player, rather than part of a group or having someone else doing the fighting.  One wonders how often Wiki has to comb through this page to prevent Chinese propaganda from showing up.  

Not sure I would count GWOT and Mali as wars. China will send an engineering platoon into peacekeeping missions, but have never seen them do any heavy lift fighting. 

And Tibet? LMAO. Beat up a bunch of monks in a country with almost no armed forces. Will read up more on that one just to be sure, but pretty confidant Tibet did not have a modern or robust military at the time. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Not sure I would count GWOT and Mali as wars. China will send an engineering platoon into peacekeeping missions, but have never seen them do any heavy lift fighting. 

And Tibet? LMAO. Beat up a bunch of monks in a country with almost no armed forces. Will read up more on that one just to be sure, but pretty confidant Tibet did not have a modern or robust military at the time. 

Yup, those were my thoughts as well.  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Brad Pitt out front should have told you.

On 5/2/2023 at 4:18 PM, atomheartbevo said:

It is that very thing, unwillingness of lower-echelon employees to "stick their necks out" that is attributed to their tendency to copy rather than organically innovate.

So, yeah, that's not a good sign for them.

• Hook 'Em 2

I realize this is stupid as I say it, but Taiwan is a wildly valuable technical resource. We've got 4 years. We should just get a chunk of land and just let everyone in Taiwan move off that fucking island, bring as many as want to come, bring as much tech and resources and knowledge as they can, and then raze what's left to the fucking ground so China gets nothing. Give them the worthless acreage they want, and allow the people and intellectual bounty to resettle elsewhere. It's the size of Maryland or New Jersey. Lets lease them a chunk of Alaska for 500 years in exchange for friendly sharing of technology, with the chance to become a state later if they want. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I realize this is stupid as I say it, but Taiwan is a wildly valuable technical resource. We've got 4 years. We should just get a chunk of land and just let everyone in Taiwan move off that fucking island, bring as many as want to come, bring as much tech and resources and knowledge as they can, and then raze what's left to the fucking ground so China gets nothing. Give them the worthless acreage they want, and allow the people and intellectual bounty to resettle elsewhere. It's the size of Maryland or New Jersey. Lets lease them a chunk of Alaska for 500 years in exchange for friendly sharing of technology, with the chance to become a state later if they want. 

@closetojumping Please respond to your buddy's inquiry.

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

image.jpeg.17b05e3ce13b4f65e8fb2506088a841f.jpeg

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, before he shows up and does his thing, you don't want to share your own thoughts and comments in advance?

No, I've been attending adult cotillion and zazen meditative discipline classes and responding to a surlyite who begins with  "I realize this is stupid as I say it" runs counter to my training.

Do you have a newsletter?

On 5/18/2023 at 10:15 AM, SydneyCarton said:

So aside from the absurdity of relocating 23M+ people to "somewhere else," there may be a nugget of goodness in here.  We could offer a completely streamlined green card/residency program for Taiwanese nationals and their families who have a certain education level or are in certain industries that we want to absorb (chip manufacturing?).  Of course that would: 1) really piss off the government of Taiwan for brain draining their population, 2) signal that we see their country as a lost cause and those who can had better get on the lifeboat and if you can't, "sorry," and 3) doesn't do anything to replicate the extensive infrastructure in manufacturing that TSMC and others have built up there which will take a decade or more to rebuild elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 3