2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Watched this again because it’s awesome, noticed Keith’s call:  “it’s got some carry.”

also I was wondering if this weekend set any kind of attendance record. Anyone know where to find that type of info?

Yeah looks like it.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-baseball-series-sweep-Rice-Owls-Sunday-romp-14-2-Ivan-Melendez-Trey-Faltine-David-Pierce-183201552/

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas opened the 2022 season looking every bit the part of the nation’s No. 1-ranked team, finishing off a three-game series sweep of Rice with a blowout victory on Sunday, 14-2. The 7,039 fans who packed UFCU Disch-Falk Field for the series finale (a three-game attendance total of 21,850 established a new opening-weekend attendance record for the program) watched Tanner Witt scatter five hits, strike out five and walk two while surrendering one earned run in his first career start for the Longhorns, but the story of the day (and, in turn, the weekend) was Ivan Melendez leading the offensive charge.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I just watched that clip of the second one like 20 times. It should win an Oscar. The sound off the bat, the bat flip, the call, the soundtrack.  It’s 15 seconds of perfection.

I loved the cockiness by everyone all weekend, too. You always worry with carrying expectations and having that 1 next to your name that guys might get a little nervy or self-conscious. Everyone on this team knows they're bad mofos - and they aren't afraid of owning it and displaying it. There isn't any "well everyone thinks we're #1 - I guess let's see what happens" it's "we're the best team in the fucking country - come do something about it". There also wasn't any "eh, it's just Rice" it was "we'll do this against anyone - pick a time and place". 

This team will lose some games - don't get me wrong - but it seems like they have a great balance of focus and confidence in themselves - and you need that late in the season. 

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I just watched that clip of the second one like 20 times. It should win an Oscar. The sound off the bat, the bat flip, the call, the soundtrack.  It’s 15 seconds of perfection.

Not quite.  

The cameraman working the outfield/ball going over the wall angle blew it royally.

No perfection in that.

Loved sitting behind  "The Wild Bunch" at Texas games behind the visitors dugout... 

COLLEGE WORLD SERIES

The man behind the Longhorn Cadillac: Superfan has been to 1,000+ Texas games, every CWS since '81

5b255a90aaef5.image.jpg?resize=750,500 

Texas graduate Scott Wilson tailgates with his 1975 Cadillac Sedan DeVille as he attends his 40th College World Series.

5b255a902f0fd.image.jpg?resize=750,500

Scott Wilson, of Austin, Texas, poses for a portrait as he attends his 40th College World Series and on June 17 will attend his 1,173rd consecutive Texas baseball game.

5b255a908596e.image.jpg?resize=750,500

Brother Gideon, of Houston, Texas, fixes the hubcap on a 1975 Cadillac Sedan DeVille belonging to friend Scott Wilson, of Austin, Texas, during pregame CWS festivities.

By Michael O'Connor World-Herald staff writer

You might spot his 1975 burnt orange Cadillac cruising around Omaha.

The one with the longhorns jutting out of the hood.

Scott Wilson is a Texas baseball superfan and has been to every College World Series since 1981.

The 66-year-old retired lawyer has a streak going, too: He said he’s hit every Longhorn game, home or away, since 2000.

By his count that’s 1,175 games. That’s a lot of shouting, “Go Horns, Go.”

He’s an unofficial cheer captain and is known for leading fans in “The Eyes of Texas,” the school song. 

His home in Austin is a museum of UT memorabilia and history.

Wilson’s first trip to the CWS was in 1975, when he stayed in a $13-a-night motel and saw the Longhorns win the national championship. He returned in 1979 and started his consecutive attendance streak two years later.

He said one of the best parts of following the team is the relationships he’s had with other fans, players and coaches over the years.  “It’s lifelong friendships,” said Wilson, a 1972 Texas graduate.

He said his baseball roots go back to the 1950s when his dad would take him to watch the minor league Austin Senators.  He first got involved with the Longhorns in the 1970s, when he was part of the “wild bunch,” a group of Texas fans who loved sitting behind the opposing team’s dugout and tossing zingers.

Drew Bishop, director of operations for the Texas baseball team, said there’s no doubt Wilson is passionate about the game and the Longhorns.  Bishop, a former Texas player, said Wilson’s presence is particularly appreciated on road games when there’s not always a lot of fans in the stands.  “We have a lot of fans, but he sticks out,” Bishop said. “Our kids know he’s behind us no matter what.” 

https://omaha.com/sports/the-man-behind-the-longhorn-cadillac-superfan-has-been-to-1-000-texas-games-every/article_582a381b-7f3b-5220-a48f-78f6271830c0.html

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, cochamps said:

The real Wild Bunch often had kazoos.  They would break out circus music when the opponent made multiple errors.  That was the only artificial noise maker in "the good ole days". 😉

Yeah we gotta get the assholes on here in a section behind the visitors dugout. Fuck with the players 

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

FMEdOacX0AkZONR?format=jpg&name=900x900

Did you take that pic, LT?

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Of course he didn’t, it’s from a reply in that Breezy tweet he re-posted. 

This is what happens when I smoke a loaded blunt at 5. Normally wouldn’t  engage but randomly felt like it. His consistent meaningless tweets and links he posts 40 times in multiple threads per subject is amazing. Not sure the guy sleeps or like socializes or anything 

Edited by Fletch

4 hours ago, CowtownHorn said:

Can we at least get one of these out there until the other one is fixed?

C2ACF4BC-46D7-4632-B004-3035EA329655.jpeg

that would be so bad ass!!

I dont get the whiney little bitches about the board.  everything is a pain to get right now.  Thats covid life right now.  how do people not get that?.   i have product on back order from june of last year.  even one piece from april of last year.  someone said just pay up but that isnt always the answer.   trust me   we would pay up if it would help.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Loved sitting behind  "The Wild Bunch" at Texas games behind the visitors dugout... 

COLLEGE WORLD SERIES

The man behind the Longhorn Cadillac: Superfan has been to 1,000+ Texas games, every CWS since '81

5b255a90aaef5.image.jpg?resize=750,500 

Texas graduate Scott Wilson tailgates with his 1975 Cadillac Sedan DeVille as he attends his 40th College World Series.

5b255a902f0fd.image.jpg?resize=750,500

Scott Wilson, of Austin, Texas, poses for a portrait as he attends his 40th College World Series and on June 17 will attend his 1,173rd consecutive Texas baseball game.

5b255a908596e.image.jpg?resize=750,500

Brother Gideon, of Houston, Texas, fixes the hubcap on a 1975 Cadillac Sedan DeVille belonging to friend Scott Wilson, of Austin, Texas, during pregame CWS festivities.

By Michael O'Connor World-Herald staff writer

You might spot his 1975 burnt orange Cadillac cruising around Omaha.

The one with the longhorns jutting out of the hood.

Scott Wilson is a Texas baseball superfan and has been to every College World Series since 1981.

The 66-year-old retired lawyer has a streak going, too: He said he’s hit every Longhorn game, home or away, since 2000.

By his count that’s 1,175 games. That’s a lot of shouting, “Go Horns, Go.”

He’s an unofficial cheer captain and is known for leading fans in “The Eyes of Texas,” the school song. 

His home in Austin is a museum of UT memorabilia and history.

Wilson’s first trip to the CWS was in 1975, when he stayed in a $13-a-night motel and saw the Longhorns win the national championship. He returned in 1979 and started his consecutive attendance streak two years later.

He said one of the best parts of following the team is the relationships he’s had with other fans, players and coaches over the years.  “It’s lifelong friendships,” said Wilson, a 1972 Texas graduate.

He said his baseball roots go back to the 1950s when his dad would take him to watch the minor league Austin Senators.  He first got involved with the Longhorns in the 1970s, when he was part of the “wild bunch,” a group of Texas fans who loved sitting behind the opposing team’s dugout and tossing zingers.

Drew Bishop, director of operations for the Texas baseball team, said there’s no doubt Wilson is passionate about the game and the Longhorns.  Bishop, a former Texas player, said Wilson’s presence is particularly appreciated on road games when there’s not always a lot of fans in the stands.  “We have a lot of fans, but he sticks out,” Bishop said. “Our kids know he’s behind us no matter what.” 

https://omaha.com/sports/the-man-behind-the-longhorn-cadillac-superfan-has-been-to-1-000-texas-games-every/article_582a381b-7f3b-5220-a48f-78f6271830c0.html

Wilson accidentally burned a hole in my foam “hook ‘em” hand with a black and mild when I was younger. The wild bunch was already pretty old and mild but when we did the dugout switch that really officially ended it. We really could use a new version on the other side.

29 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I love that after a weekend if awesome we only have to wait one day until Texas plays again. I am so ready for this team and this season. Been a long time in any sport I am this fired up to see us play every game.

Right there with you, my friend.

I'm going to Omaha regardless, but I have high hopes that the Horns might be there as well.  And that they might do a lot of damage.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I love that after a weekend if awesome we only have to wait one day until Texas plays again. I am so ready for this team and this season. Been a long time in any sport I am this fired up to see us play every game.

Seriously!!!! Been waiting for this week since state got the last out on us back in June. This is going to be a truly epic season 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Right there with you, my friend.

I'm going to Omaha regardless, but I have high hopes that the Horns might be there as well.  And that they might do a lot of damage.

I’m definitely going to Omaha if we make it. Surly road trip? @B00M said he’d drive, buy all our tickets, hotels and food and booze. Even said he’s gonna bring a kilo or the good stuff 

Edited by Fletch
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I’m definitely going to Omaha if we make it. Surly road trip? @B00M said he’d drive, buy all our tickets, hotels and food and booze. Even said he’s gonna bring a kilo or the good stuff 

Im in on that.  I went to Omaha to watch a random game years ago (Tech vs. TCU happened to be playing) and Im itching to go back again. 

52 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I got to go to the championship series in 05 and that’s my greatest sports memory of my life. I would love to go again. For those who have been how’s the new stadium compare to Rosenblatt?

Never went to Rosenblatt. The new one is nice, a little corporate, but when it's full of fans who really cares?

• Hook 'Em 1

Not gonna be able to make it to Austin for the Bama series but I will be in Houston for the Shriners Classic the following weekend.

I highly recommend that weekend for anyone on the fence. It's a great event and fun to booze it up in downtown or EaDo and walk to Minute Maid.

Saturday night is gonna be electric vs LSU. Interested to see what the attendance figure is for that one.

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

Not gonna be able to make it to Austin for the Bama series but I will be in Houston for the Shriners Classic the following weekend.

I highly recommend that weekend for anyone on the fence. It's a great event and fun to booze it up in downtown or EaDo and walk to Minute Maid.

Saturday night is gonna be electric vs LSU. Interested to see what the attendance figure is for that one.

Seconded.  I'm sure we will have a Shaggy meetup..  someone was talking about organizing it last years thread.

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah this team is relentless on offense through 4 games. I can't remember this kind of start offensively in the last 10 seasons. Even when Texas got out to hot starts, their offense was lagging behind. Going to be fun this weekend with Bama in town.

Really like their better patience at the plate this year -- getting deeper in counts significantly helps offensive production !!!  🤘

Are those games televised ? Don’t get lhn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, TornACL said:

Tenn / LSU / UCLA, all ranked I believe 

6 hours ago, TornACL said:

Got the 3 day pass for that Shriner's Classic in Houston. Kids and wife are coming on Sunday. Maybe get the boy to spend the day with me for a good part of Saturday. Then send him home so I can focus on the LSU game.