2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I couldn't be happier. Starting 8-0? I mean without a good old fashioned Gus type opening schedule? Amazing. Not only did we think we were going to be awesome, now we see that we are in fact awesome and living up to expectations. I knew we were going to be great this year but I had prepared myself emotionally for a possible slow start like last year.

I hope the more casual UT fans jump on this bandwagon and we pack Disch-Falk the rest of the season. Too bad we have to wait until Incarnate Word comes into town before we have another home three game series.

Yeah I knew come May and June we’d be firing on all cylinders, I just thought there was a slight chance we’d get off to one of those 16-8 or whatever type starts we’ve seemingly gotten under Pierce every year. He’d spread out reps and throw pitchers into situations to see who could handle it and all that. Now part of it is obviously the ocean of experience we’ve returned so Pierce and co know what we got. But we’re still splitting some reps and innings this year, we’re just so damn talented it doesn’t make a fuck. Any of Pierces previous teams probably drop one to bama and fuck up the aggy corpus game last Wednesday. Not this squad. Seeing them play like dog shit against corpus and gut it out then beat bama in the cold with 2 very frustrating days at the plate is that Texas baseball magic we’ve missed the last 10 years 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, that team had the look of being special. 

This.  Every fanbase can "what coulda been" on 2020, but I think that team was likely bound for Omaha as well.  Probably not title winner great, but damn good and I think they were on their way there.  We were also just an inning away in two different games from winning that regional in 2017 (Long Beach IIRC), and due to an upset opposite of us, would have hosted a Super and probably made Omaha.  Plus two actual trips to Omaha.  Hate to sound Aggy, but you take out the horrific shitshow that was 2019 (and I still can't wash that stink off)...and we make it this year (knock on wood)...that's a helluva fucking run by Pierce.  

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

2020 started 9-0 and ended 14-3. Swept rice and Fullerton at home, beat arky in Houston. 

Yeah that was a going to be a good year but If I’m remembering correctly, the 2020 start of the season was filled with inconsistent play even tho we were winning. This years start seems to be more in line with complete wins and overall better play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DoneWithit said:

Yeah that was a going to be a good year but If I’m remembering correctly, the 2020 start of the season was filled with inconsistent play even tho we were winning. This years start seems to be more in line with complete wins and overall better play. 

Elder-Madden-Hansen(or Stevens) would’ve been unreal 

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Elder-Madden-Hansen(or Stevens) would’ve been unreal 

Freshman Pete starter the year out as a reliever but looked really good. Probably would have found his way in the rotation. It was the freshman Pete and Duplantier that saved our ass in the Arkansas game and prevented the choke. There was a ton of young players on that squad that showed great promise. Actually having a game changer at short stop with the Faltine was fun to watch in the limited action we saw. You also can’t forget the monster walk off homer from Cam against Boise. Sad that we didn’t get 2 full years of him. 

2 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

Freshman Pete starter the year out as a reliever but looked really good. Probably would have found his way in the rotation. It was the freshman Pete and Duplantier that saved our ass in the Arkansas game and prevented the choke. There was a ton of young players on that squad that showed great promise. Actually having a game changer at short stop with the Faltine was fun to watch in the limited action we saw. You also can’t forget the monster walk off homer from Cam against Boise. Sad that we didn’t get 2 full years of him. 

That’s right. All of 2020 is a blur for obvious reasons. My dad and I were at the last game before everything got canceled. But shit yeah man. Elder-Madden would’ve been like Ruffin and Jungmann back in 09. Faltine and Stehly up the middle with Cam and Zub at the corners with Kennedy-Ellis-Todd in the outfield and Silas behind the plate. Maybe Powell would’ve actually played. Fucking Covid fucking everything up. 2020 probably would’ve been exactly like last year then last years team has the experience and…..

God dammit. Thanks dude. Getting my pregame blunt in and now I’m sitting here playing the what if game. Dammit 

2 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

That ain’t gonna satisfy the outlaw in the average Texan …

He could go rob his neighbor and use the money to subscribe to ESPN+.

Or subscribe, watch the game, then drunkenly complain to ESPN that the service never worked and get his money back. 

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So what's the word on Kash?  Wasn't he supposed to be a massive stud or something?  Haven't heard anything about him.

His best hope for significant playing time this year was Melendez staying at DH. We could see him see get some more DH ABs if some of the guys in that rotation start to scuffle. Assuming there isn't a transfer, I would think that he is the early favorite to replace Melendez at 1B next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

So what's the word on Kash?  Wasn't he supposed to be a massive stud or something?  Haven't heard anything about him.

He's a true frosh playing on a ridiculously stacked team. The fact that he's gotten a few PAs should be a testament to his potential. 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

He’ll get some midweek ab’s probably but Stehly and Campbell are looking like the DHs with Todd getting some days there for some days off from right. Now it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Kash ended up being the hero in Omaha cause that’s just the way it goes 

6 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Be there or be square.  Going over to my oldest son's place Saturday; then I'll be somewhere around the Juice Box.  The wife is some aggy function.

Like, she's a tradition, or?  

20 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I am pumped for our CWS rematch coming up on Friday. It's on the MLB network right?

Straight from the website:

As one of the most accessible college baseball tournament in the country, all nine games of the tournament will be televised regionally by AT&T SportsNet SW and streamed nationally on Astros.com, the Astros Twitter, Facebook and YouTube accounts, and the MLB app. AT&T SportsNet SW is available in the Astros five-state viewing area. Subscribers to AT&T SportsNet SW can also stream all nine games live on the AT&T SportsNet app. Fans are asked to check local listings for more information.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Nice job last night...  terrible pic in this tweet    (WTF)

Really hope Mess keeps adding power to this lineup !!!

This team is damn good. We’ve got like 13 guys who should be playing every day, and I think we have enough arms for 2 top 25 teams. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This team is damn good. We’ve got like 13 guys who should be playing every day, and I think we have enough arms for 2 top 25 teams. 

That kind of depth can come in handy come tournament time if you have a bad game and fall into the loser's bracket in the Regional or in Omaha.

59 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

That kind of depth can come in handy come tournament time if you have a bad game and fall into the loser's bracket in the Regional or in Omaha.

35 minutes ago, WBT said:

The pitching depth will be interesting to watch.  In Omaha last year Pierce only trusted 6 guys.

True  !

Also, Pierce needs to play Gash and O'Dowd  a couple of innings in these blowouts for infield experience to backup Melendez and Daly in case of injury.   Gash was rated  by Perfect Game as top 1B in Texas.  O'Dowd got 3 innings  against Corpus.   Not to mention Peyton Powell.

No idea about the backup for Faltine.    Perhaps Staley.  

Edited by torre

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

We could bench Faltine, Messinger and Daly and replace them with O’Dowd and Stehly up the middle with Campbell at 3rd and Powell or someone DHing and we’d still be a top 10 team. Just fucking ridiculous. Witt is gonna be a 10+ year mlb guy and he’s our fucking Sunday starter. Just unreal how much talent Pierce has brought in 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Take me out to the ballgame....

ucla-eric-filia-lauralee-mcintyre.jpg

50 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Since you brought it up .. here’s a trip down memory lane from last summer.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The cameramen that work the CWS are fucking heroes. 

• Haha 1