Highland Park, Austin, Deer killed with poison dart

crash_davis

Thought about posting this in NextDoor thread but I don't usually view that thread. Thought this deserved it's own thread. 

So is killing deer with poison darts in neighborhoods a thing now? When the fuck did this start happening? Thread has over 100 responses with usually Nextdoor shit responses.

image.png.32757c86970d0a83b5bbaea4dbc02e7e.png

Pic of poison dart.

1609a71dc3494cfe219aa97d3e2a6767.jpeg

Game wardens were contacted and met with the homeowner who reported it. Interesting to see what the outcome is.

I get that deer can be nuisance but damn, this is a little harsh.

Just now, deadshank said:

Benny Richards, come on down!!

Perpetrator needs to take a dart to the giblets; but, unfortunately, the penalties for this kind of BS are way too light.  

When game wardens are involved, it's going to get expensive. Not sure if jail time is on the table.

11 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

post from OP.

Apparently the game warden said this has happened a number of times in Northwest Hills. Poison dart, kills large animal almost instantly, in a neighborhood-not enough of a priority to get anybody out here at all, let alone right away. 

When my neighbors were shooting doves in their backyard, I called Parks and Wildlife and a game warden was out the next day. 

"Poison dart"?

That looks like a dart from a blow gun.  Also, did they do an autopsy and blood test to determine the "poison"?   The poison part makes no sense.

Likely some teenager/guy who was an A-hole and shot the deer with a blow gun and happened to hit it in a vital organ that caused it to die.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ABSR said:

That looks like a dart from a blow gun.  Also, did they do an autopsy and blood test to determine the "poison"?   The poison part makes no sense.

They used to sell blowguns with those same darts in the backs of various magazines in the 80s and 90s.  I have a collection of them.  Poison delivery seems a problem with those.  

Also, saliva should be on the darts.  DNA.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They used to sell blowguns with those same darts in the backs of various magazines in the 80s and 90s.  I have a collection of them.  Poison delivery seems a problem with those.  

Can you dust for poison?

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3

I read that thread this morning.  Well, I read half of it before the typical Nextdoor dumbassery broke me down and I had to stop.  My favorite may have been the guy was offended that someone used the word "game".   "This is not a game, people." smdh

Obviously, whoever did this is a sick fuck.  But so are the deer lovers who feed the fucking things in a city.  Lyme disease gives them a big "Thank you!"

• Hook 'Em 1

Dubious of a poisoned blow darts taking out deer.  What's the range situation on those things?  You'd probably have to be within 15 yards of the sucker.  Seems like there would still be some poison on the dart possibly, and identifying that would probably be a big clue.  A guy into blowguns and powerful toxins is probably on a list somewhere already.

58 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

post from OP.

Apparently the game warden said this has happened a number of times in Northwest Hills. Poison dart, kills large animal almost instantly, in a neighborhood-not enough of a priority to get anybody out here at all, let alone right away. 

Meanwhile, in a foyer in Northwest Hills:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, ABSR said:

"Poison dart"?

Likely some teenager/guy who was an A-hole and shot the deer with a blow gun and happened to hit it in a vital organ that caused it to die.

LOL, no.  You're not hitting anything vital with a dart gun from Dicks sporting goods.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Meh.  We used to murder squirrels with them that would get in the attic back in the day.  Our "poison" mixture, if memory serves, was a  condensed nicotine mixture from old cigarettes that ferment in water, then boil and strain.  Condensed nicotine is insanely deadly.  In a liquid form.  The viscosity becomes such that it stays on the dart.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Meh.  We used to murder squirrels with them that would get in the attic back in the day.  Our "poison" mixture, if memory serves, was a  condensed nicotine mixture from old cigarettes that ferment in water, then boil and strain.  Condensed nicotine is insanely deadly.  In a liquid form.  The viscosity becomes such that it stays on the dart.  

tenor.gif?itemid=9817461&f=1&nofb=1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Dubious of a poisoned blow darts taking out deer.  What's the range situation on those things?  You'd probably have to be within 15 yards of the sucker.  Seems like there would still be some poison on the dart possibly, and identifying that would probably be a big clue.  A guy into blowguns and powerful toxins is probably on a list somewhere already.

15 yards?  Dude, the NW Hills deer that hang out in my front yard don't mind when I walk past them 3 yards away as I get in my car in the morning.  These aren't exactly skittish critters.

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

There are some nice, trophy sized deer running around Lakeway. I'm surprised a bow hunter hasn't tried to poach a few. 

They do.  But they use .22 subsonic rounds.  A couple of years ago, someone in the hood woke up to a dead, headshot buck in their front yard with his sizable antlers hacked off.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

15 yards?  Dude, the NW Hills deer that hang out in my front yard don't mind when I walk past them 3 yards away as I get in my car in the morning.  These aren't exactly skittish critters.

They do.  But they use .22 subsonic rounds.  A couple of years ago, someone in the hood woke up to a dead, headshot buck in their front yard with his sizable antlers hacked off.

"I bagged that buck in my front yard as my daughter was petting it" isn't a great hunting story to share around the camp fire. Seriously WTF at killing neighborhood deer for their antlers.

18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

There are some nice, trophy sized deer running around Lakeway. I'm surprised a bow hunter hasn't tried to poach a few. 

The VAST majority of bow kills involve a pass through on the animal.  ZIP.  Most pass through elk, so WT and smaller animals it's almost a guarantee.  Urban hunters use sub's.  

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

They can get DNA from the dart and it won’t be mine.  Blowgun is dumb as fuck to use in that situation.  Based on my youth, the non-pointy ends will be covered in spit.  

The dumbass killed a deer with a dart in a neighborhood 6 miles from downtown Austin. I don't think the dude was smart to begin with.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They can get DNA from the dart and it won’t be mine.  Blowgun is dumb as fuck to use in that situation.  Based on my youth, the non-pointy ends will be covered in spit.  

Were they aiming at a squirrel?  Asking for a friend....

OH SHIT. City Councilwoman Atler is on the case! I'm sure this quickly will get resolved.

I received a call from councilman Alter’s office. They recognize the that this is an unusual and disturbing situation and are escalating it for investigation. Stay tuned.
13 min ago

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

The deer in NW hills are harmless.

Except plants, they will eat the fuck out of your plants. I learned the hard way which plants they wouldn't eat. 

Harmless to humans. Plants and cars however...

As a previous resident of that area I'm not saying he should have done it;  but I understand

• Haha 2

If by harmless you mean they will eat a large majority of your plants, shit all over your yard/driveway, shoot out into the road when seeing headlights and cause you to shart yourself when you drunkingly walk across a dark yard at night and step on one you don't see, yes, they are fairly harmless.  So I'm told...

Edited by ballrific
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, ballrific said:

If by harmless you mean they will eat a large majority of your plants, shit all over your yard/driveway, shoot out into the road when seeing headlights and cause you to shart yourself when you drunkingly walk across a dark yard at night and step on one you don't see, yes, they are fairly harmless.  So I'm told...

They are elusive little creatures