Airplane Etiquette Thread

956 Worldwide

8 hours ago, kevwun said:

Had a lady a few weeks ago sitting behind me who thought her tv in the back of my seat was a touchscreen.  She kept jabbing her finger at the screen and was convinced that someone else was changing her channels.  After 6 or 7 pokes to the back of my head, I nicely told her the controls for it were in her armrest and that it wasn't a touchscreen.

China Airlines had Insaniquarium on the inflight touchscreen. Not a wise decision by their inflight entertainment dept. See screenshot. This game is incredibly touch intensive. Every one of those coins needs to be touched to be picked up. When an enemy appears you tap on it to attack it until it dies. My brother and I got to some insane high level before the guy seated ahead of us stood up and gave us a very stern look. (in hindsight, he musta been a saint to have put up with us playing for so long) We stopped touching the screen and sadly watched as we eventually lost the game.

insaniquarium.jpg.67f44ec3faa8aa27bd0adb25067449d2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Scored a 2/3 full southwest flight to Chicago today and have a row with the middle seat empty. I feel like a king. 

Probably a Max that no one wants to fly on.  Can we have your stuff?

Sweating Heat Wave GIF

Edited by midtown
  • Haha 4

On 7/14/2021 at 2:52 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 7/14/2021 at 2:50 PM, Lhorn said:
What the fuck is wrong with people?  Flying is a PITA as it is.  Do you want to go through the hassle and not get to your destination because you got dragged off a plane for acting like a child?  Mental illness. 

Lots of mental illness going around these days.

So is being a stupid bitch/asshole.

On 7/19/2021 at 6:26 PM, Surly Bevo said:

The summer always brings out some riff-raff and a LOT more stupid infrequent fliers who either don't know what the fuck to do or just don't give a fuck.  For example, coming back from a wedding I was in PIT yesterday in the regular security line because while I have Pre-Check my wife doesn't fly all that often and doesn't have it and the line was short anyway.  Woman in front of me with two roller bags and a shoulder bag.  One of the roller bags was clearly much too big to be considered a carry on but she gets right to the point where she's ready to step up to the TSA agent and turns and asks me, "so this is where we check our bags right?"  "Uh nooooo you are going to have to take that escalator right there and go back to your airlines ticket and BAGGAGE CHECK desk for that."  She then proceeds to bump and bounce all her shit back through the snake line.  

But on the quoted line of thought every time I have been in DFW the last two weeks (also went to Mexico for a vacation) the terminals were filled with a LOT more riff-raff and a lot more dumbasses.  The bus station comment above sprang to my mind each time I was through there.

Anybody have their carryon chickens or other livestock?

On our flight to Athens from Newark, the guy sitting next to me couldn't fit his bag in the overhead bin because there were several backpacks there.  If one was removed, it would fit.  So as he's trying to get it in there (and I'm trying to help out so he doesn't smash my bag), I asked the guy across the aisle if it was his backpack.  Yes said it was.  I then asked if he had space underneath to which he quickly said, "nope!".  I stuck my bag on top of his and the other guy managed to get his bag in.  Sit down, look down and see that Mr. Backpack has nothing under his seat.  Jackass.

Meanwhile, the Jersey couple sitting next to me bicker the entire flight.  The  E N T I R E  flight.  He kept trying to ignore her but she just wouldn't let anything go.  Good news for me is that we sat on the plane while we were delayed for four hours so I got to hear her constant bitching. 

• Like 1

Oh... and of course as with every 8-9-10 hour flight, there two old people who decided it was OK to talk through the whole damn flight while everyone is trying to sleep.  They usually sit behind me or the dude who wants to keep his overhead light on throughout the flight.

25 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I asked the guy across the aisle if it was his backpack.  Yes said it was.  I then asked if he had space underneath to which he quickly said, "nope!".  I stuck my bag on top of his and the other guy managed to get his bag in.  Sit down, look down and see that Mr. Backpack has nothing under his seat.  Jackass.

Not sure about this.  Who wants to have a bag under their seat for a 10 hour flight?   Now if you have already have a carryon and the backpack is your personal item ok.   Plus it sounds like there was a viable solution that allowed everyone to get their bags up and have room under their seat.

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

This isn't really an airport/airplane etiquette thing but what is the deal with flying that makes people (usually stereotypical dad-mode types) stand up and do bizarre stretching exercises in public?

Was back at the airport today waiting to head to Miami, and I watched this 40 something guy just stand there in front of a gate full of people and do a full stretch and limber up routine for a good 10 minutes. 

If you did this at a grocery store someone would call to have you committed. 

I felt like I was watching one of those Dr. Rick Progressive commercials. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Regarding the whole backpack thing. If I’m in a godforsaken situation where I have to fly southwest, my understanding is it’s the space under the seat in front of yours is where you are supposed to place your stuff (hence the front row has no storage..at least that’s what a stewardess and a bitchy passenger told me years ago) If I place something there, it takes up room for my feet/legs. I also always only take one carryon on the the plane so I feel it’s appropriate to take out what I am going to use (this is generally done before I board) and put my backpack/bag in the overhead. If someone asked me to put it under the seat in front of me, I would say no too.  What’s the etiquette on that?

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, TornACL said:

This isn't really an airport/airplane etiquette thing but what is the deal with flying that makes people (usually stereotypical dad-mode types) stand up and do bizarre stretching exercises in public?

Was back at the airport today waiting to head to Miami, and I watched this 40 something guy just stand there in front of a gate full of people and do a full stretch and limber up routine for a good 10 minutes. 

I was on a lengthy  Air China flight a while back. I was engrossed in a book that I was reading when I caught this movement out of the corner of my eyes. Almost everyone on the flight were doing coordinated exercises to prevent DVT. They had interrupted the inflight movies to play exercises on the seat back screens.

I think I saw the same guy in Denver on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, TornACL said:

Not quite the same situation, as he really doesn't have the option to go somewhere private and do it, and is about to spend X hours of being stuck in a cramped chair. (Grocery store means he can go home soon after.) I've not done it in airport while waiting, but on long flights (6+hr) I usually go to the back and do a few stretches every few hours.

• Like 2

flying AA DFW to Anchorage Monday.  First class provides two bags at 70 pounds each, so here I go.  Anybody care to explain how greatness of first class?  First time ever.  AA said no meal, so there's that.  6 and half hour flight.  I imagine plenty of room in overhead compartments and under the seat?  

3 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Domestic first class? Basically a bigger chair and free drinks. They will find a place for your carryons. Bring your whole apple pie.

and 

Cool Whip Topping
$1.99
With Card

For two entrees that can be eaten during two nights in Anchorage, this is the number one contender:
Home Chef Whole Roasted, 8-Piece Chicken or 5-Piece Tenders
2/
$10.00
When You Buy 2 With Card

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

flying AA DFW to Anchorage Monday.  First class provides two bags at 70 pounds each, so here I go.  Anybody care to explain how greatness of first class?  First time ever.  AA said no meal, so there's that.  6 and half hour flight.  I imagine plenty of room in overhead compartments and under the seat?  

They will take care of your bags, plus boarding first will give you first dibs on overhead space.  I fly United not AA and they are using some international planes for domestic routes.  For example just did a flight to Denver and back and flew on the 777 first class.  On the way there it was full on Polaris with the gift bag and such.  On the way back it was the international seating pods, but no gift, just the drinks etc.  Don't know about AA but with United First class I believe you get club access, might be the same with AA.  Worth a stop to get a bite and a roadie whiskey in a coffee cup before you walk to your gate.  Plus you don't have to sit at the gate with everyone else.  When you get used to the perks it is a challenge to travel any other way.  But travel still is a pain in the ass.  

19 hours ago, midtown said:

Not sure about this.  Who wants to have a bag under their seat for a 10 hour flight?   Now if you have already have a carryon and the backpack is your personal item ok.   Plus it sounds like there was a viable solution that allowed everyone to get their bags up and have room under their seat.

Well, it took a long time because the guy was going from full bin to full bin trying to find a spot.  We kept trying to move bags to make them work... it took a while.  If this dubmass would've had a bag under his seat (like me, like most of us), then it would have been easier.  Just saying... sometimes you try to do the right thing to help others and this guy gave me a straight up nope to my carefully worded question of "is there space under your seat".  Just tell me you have a cloven goat foot or gangrene or something but don't tell me there's no space when its empty.

22 hours ago, midtown said:

On longer flights like that if my only carry-on is the backpack, I tend to sit aisle, start with my backpack under my seat, and then once we hit cruising altitude, throw it in the overhead to avoid being "that guy" taking up bin space.

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I got up while everyone else was sleeping and stretched in the aisle on the second leg of DFW-LHR-CPT.  I can’t sleep on an airplane and those were some long ass flights.

I do this too.  But the weirdest was when I woke up in the middle of a flight from TLV -> JFK and the Orthodox Jews were hogging the aisle to do their prayers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

On longer flights like that if my only carry-on is the backpack, I tend to sit aisle, start with my backpack under my seat, and then once we hit cruising altitude, throw it in the overhead to avoid being "that guy" taking up bin space.

I do this too.  But the weirdest was when I woke up in the middle of a flight from TLV -> JFK and the Orthodox Jews were hogging the aisle to do their prayers. 

One of my best friends in high school spent a couple of years in Tunisia in the early 1980s (family was oil patch).  He remembers taking flights locally and around the Med, and talking to flight attendants who related stories of their in-flight announcements during the Hajj (the pilgrimage to Mecca that every muslim is supposed to take once -- including dirt poor people who had never been on ANY real transport, especially an airliner).  They would actually have to issue an announcement that passengers couldn't take out their little travel grills and cook in the aisles.

Again, this was 40 years ago.....I'm SUSPECTING that things may have improved just a little bit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

They will take care of your bags, plus boarding first will give you first dibs on overhead space.  I fly United not AA and they are using some international planes for domestic routes.  For example just did a flight to Denver and back and flew on the 777 first class.  On the way there it was full on Polaris with the gift bag and such.  On the way back it was the international seating pods, but no gift, just the drinks etc.  Don't know about AA but with United First class I believe you get club access, might be the same with AA.  Worth a stop to get a bite and a roadie whiskey in a coffee cup before you walk to your gate.  Plus you don't have to sit at the gate with everyone else.  When you get used to the perks it is a challenge to travel any other way.  But travel still is a pain in the ass.  

thanks.  I am flying on the 787, which is a really big plane.  I will check into the club access thing. 

On 7/21/2021 at 1:01 PM, texasdago said:

On our flight to Athens from Newark, the guy sitting next to me couldn't fit his bag in the overhead bin because there were several backpacks there.  If one was removed, it would fit.  So as he's trying to get it in there (and I'm trying to help out so he doesn't smash my bag), I asked the guy across the aisle if it was his backpack.  Yes said it was.  I then asked if he had space underneath to which he quickly said, "nope!".  I stuck my bag on top of his and the other guy managed to get his bag in.  Sit down, look down and see that Mr. Backpack has nothing under his seat.  Jackass.

Meanwhile, the Jersey couple sitting next to me bicker the entire flight.  The  E N T I R E  flight.  He kept trying to ignore her but she just wouldn't let anything go.  Good news for me is that we sat on the plane while we were delayed for four hours so I got to hear her constant bitching. 

Newark to Athens Greece?  And his bag was a suitcase? 100% his fault for not checking the bag.  Fucking heathen.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

One of my best friends in high school spent a couple of years in Tunisia in the early 1980s (family was oil patch).  He remembers taking flights locally and around the Med, and talking to flight attendants who related stories of their in-flight announcements during the Hajj (the pilgrimage to Mecca that every muslim is supposed to take once -- including dirt poor people who had never been on ANY real transport, especially an airliner).  They would actually have to issue an announcement that passengers couldn't take out their little travel grills and cook in the aisles.

Again, this was 40 years ago.....I'm SUSPECTING that things may have improved just a little bit.

My best friend/kids godfather's family used to run 747 Charters from Africa and Europe for those Mecca pilgrims, during school breaks he would tag along on layovers and bang the stewardesses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Flew out of KHI during the Hajj and can say that it was 100 percent more of a mess than ordinarily flying out of KHI. And that’s saying something. The pilgrims have to wear their pilgrimage robes from the moment they start the journey. For men (they’re mostly men), that means you’re sitting next to someone who is literally wrapped in unhemmed towels and sporting some cool shower shoes. Also, no scents including deodorant. KHI is hot any time of year, FWIW.

Edited by 956 Worldwide

According to KNX1070 radio: “An American Airlines gate agent is getting major props for standing up for a flight attendant while talking to a passenger who had just been booted from a Miami-bound flight at DFW Airport. According to the video, the flight attendant claimed, and was backed up by other passengers, that the passenger had called her ‘the B-word’ during a dispute over a mask. Viral video shows a masked supervisor advising the passenger that among other things, “you can find another carrier to fly. I’d suggest Spirit.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just watching people board a plane is so cringeworthy and stupefying.  

Idiots can’t seem to manage putting their luggage in the overhead and sit down. 

Good grief. 

My flight from Houston to Dallas to Boise is full of folks that just can’t function in society.  

Heck, buttering bread is most likely to difficult for some of these fools. 

15 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I always have a carryon roller bag with 2-3 days worth of stuff just in case my bag goes missing, especially on long international trips.

I've probably checked one or two bags in 20 years of travel and that includes a lot of 10-14 day international trip.   Of course not on business and not usually getting dressed up much.

17 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I always have a carryon roller bag with 2-3 days worth of stuff just in case my bag goes missing, especially on long international trips.

Even on a domestic flight, I carry on my toiletries, an clean shirt, socks, undies.  I figure that will get me by until I can get to a store.  No fucking way am I checking my contact lenses, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If I am in the window seat with headphones on and eyes closed, and you tap me on the arm to ask me a question, it better be a God damn emergency. Like you better be telling me the engines are on fire or something. 

The grandmother on my last flight asked me five times during the flight what time we're supposed to land. 

As far as I know, nothing's changed since the first time I told you, gram gram.

24 minutes ago, TornACL said:

If I am in the window seat with headphones on and eyes closed, and you tap me on the arm to ask me a question, it better be a God damn emergency. Like you better be telling me the engines are on fire or something. 

The grandmother on my last flight asked me five times during the flight what time we're supposed to land. 

Unless one of the pilots has a heart attack, an engine explodes or we have a mid-air collision. Then we will be landing sooner, gram gram.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 1:38 PM, deadshank said:

Just watching people board a plane is so cringeworthy and stupefying.  

Idiots can’t seem to manage putting their luggage in the overhead and sit down. 

Good grief. 

My flight from Houston to Dallas to Boise is full of folks that just can’t function in society.  

Heck, buttering bread is most likely to difficult for some of these fools. 

People seem to not realize that the seats are in numerical order. The minute that they board the flight they keep checking their ticket each time they pass a row as if magically row 28 will somehow be the first row after first class.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

There are cases where the seat numbers will jump to stay even with seats on the other side due to lavatory or door asymmetry, but rare. You also see jumps between cabins sometimes if the interior was reconfigured but the seating database was not updated. That said, there is zero chance 28D is anywhere near first class.

On 7/24/2021 at 10:58 AM, TornACL said:

Wait... you were on a flight with my Gram Gram ?  We can't find her anywhere !!!