Airplane Etiquette Thread

956 Worldwide

6 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Flew Finnair once from JFK to Helsinki with a college group. The FAs stocked up the cart with booze, told us to have at it, and then went to sleep.

We basically had a house party in the rear cabin of a MD-11. Twas 1992.

SWA HOU - DAL circa 1977 Friday evening flight. An actual football game was played in the aisle. Not that anyone was keeping score or anything. Plus I was 15 and had no problem getting beer from the FA, other than the aforementioned game slowing service.

I flew Allegiant a few years ago because at least at the time they were the only nonstop between Austin and Albuquerque. It wasn't horrible and everyone was well behaved. The interior was reminiscent of what I imagine a Greyhound bus looks like but the exit row was fine on a short flight. I don't think I'd get on the same airline today, unless they're the only nonstop.

I lived in Europe for a few years and saw what happens on the weekend to any city with Ryanair or Easyjet flights to and from the UK. Those two airlines with $19 tickets transport the lowest of the low alcoholics for binge weekends.

Edited by Chopper

20 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The FAs should receive raises and promotions. 

Meanwhile Spirit has canceled like 70 percent of its flights the past three days, its employees (well contractors, Spirit has few ground employees if any) have walked off the job in San Juan, etc. 

Friends don't let friends fly cheap airlines. 

There should be quick access to the baggage compartment for exactly this dude. Throw him some blankets down there.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Finished catching up on this thread and a minute later saw this. Frontier Airlines and an idiot who couldn't handle his liquor.

E74Z1PfXsAcOcGC?format=jpg&name=medium

That FA really needed to drop an elbow to that little fuckers chin as he walked away. Of course he couldn't, but we all wish he would have.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/30/2021 at 5:03 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Flying home from Vegas this week (Southwest).  Flight is just over 2 hours long.

About halfway through, we had some turbulence.  Dude in front of me just pukes all over the place.  I don't know if he had taken his mask off, or the force of the vomit blew it off.  Watching the FA's get suited up (gloves, apron, etc) to go into battle and start to clean up the biohazards was fun.

The smell was pleasant.

Oh good lord that seems awful.

Was it really bad turbulence or was the guy just like hungover AF, lol?

I think I've only experienced what I would call "severe" turbulence once.... in that it was bad enough that I actually reached for the puke bag at one point because I thought if it went on much longer I was definitely going to spew.  It was on a flight from Denver into DFW in winter.  Most of the flight was OK but the decent into DFW was a fucking roller coaster, and we were in the clouds the whole time so I couldn't just look out the window to see the horizon and get my inner ear unscrambled.

Luckily it smoothed out right as I was about to blow.... but holy shit that was one uncomfortable 20-30 minutes.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Oh good lord that seems awful.

Was it really bad turbulence or was the guy just like hungover AF, lol?

Being Vegas, it's possible he was hammered (2:30 pm flight) but he didn't exhibit any drunkeness on the plane.  He was traveling solo.   And the turbulence wasn't bad at all; one "drop" that lasted maybe a couple of seconds.

I forgot to add; he was on the window seat, and splattered the 2 people beside him.

5 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The FAs should receive raises and promotions. 

Meanwhile Spirit has canceled like 70 percent of its flights the past three days, its employees (well contractors, Spirit has few ground employees if any) have walked off the job in San Juan, etc. 

Friends don't let friends fly cheap airlines. 

Not sure that is entirely true, it might be.  Both sides are being kind of vague.  There is some confusion as to why Spirit is cancelling flights.  The current thing I read is that they are not able handle the massive load (insert joke here) of passengers so fast.  They need time to ramp up and they are the cheapest.  So cheap travel + covid bucks + don't travel regular = this shit right here.  

12 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Not sure that is entirely true, it might be.  Both sides are being kind of vague.  There is some confusion as to why Spirit is cancelling flights.  The current thing I read is that they are not able handle the massive load (insert joke here) of passengers so fast.  They need time to ramp up and they are the cheapest.  So cheap travel + covid bucks + don't travel regular = this shit right here.  

True, it could be a combo of tech crashes + staff issues.

Spirit hasn't had a flight leave from San Juan in 3 days. Spirit is the worst in the best of times, I'd rather drive than fly them (or Allegiant) today. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

How hard is it to sit there for 3 hours on your flight and not be a complete fucking asshole?

I mean, wtf is happening?

I've only flown one round trip since all this started and it was uneventful, thank god.  I would have a very hard time not beating the shit out of that guy had I been seated where the camera guy was.

Like, a really hard time.

signed,

Johnny Toughguy

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

How hard is it to sit there for 3 hours on your flight and not be a complete fucking asshole?

I've only flown one round trip since all this started and it was uneventful, thank god.  I would have a very hard time not beating the shit out of that guy had I been seated where the camera guy was.

I mean, have you met people? People are the absolute fucking worst.

If I were to estimate, I would say that I only find about 10-15% of the entire population of this stupid fucking country people I would want to interact with.... maybe there's another 10-15% that I would tolerate sitting in the same room with... the rest I actively try to avoid at all costs.

That's why travel, in general, is just a fucking beating unless you have the cash to separate yourself from the mouth-breathing morons.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The “people new to air travel” thing is real. Saw some people in the security line in ft Lauderdale this weekend that looked more like they belonged in Walmart. 

Yep.  Cheap tickets and things opened up again after like 18 months. 

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

I will poorly paraphrase a comment I heard a few weeks ago on the radio.

Humans are social animals.  We have isolated and alienated each other for 18 months, of course people are going to be on edge.

That doesn't mean I condone or excuse the A-hole from the video. He got what he deserved, probably a little less than he deserved actually.

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Spirit hasn't had a flight leave from San Juan in 3 days. Spirit is the worst in the best of times, I'd rather drive than fly them (or Allegiant) today. 

Reminded me of the customer service rep for American who told the irate Karen that she would not be flying American and should fly Spirit instead.  Couldn't help but lol.

This is not to assign blame to the airlines or the crew, but I do think they could do one little thing better that may help.

On AA, the flight attendants come on and say things like "help us comply with the federal mask mandate" or "we ask that you keep your mask on....", with a reference to FAA rules.   On one flight, the FA actually said "we don't like it any more than you do".  It's a very soft approach to communicating this particular requirement.

I think the pilot should come on right before the door closes (or the purser if there is no time in the pilot's pre-flight routine).  He or she should say something to the effect that everyone is required to comply with crew instructions, including the mask requirement which is intended to keep everyone sage and healthy.  If you don't comply with crew instructions, you will be reported to the FAA and be subject to fines.  We may return to the gate, divert the flight or have the flight met by law enforcement officials.  If you interfere with the crew or behave inappropriate with your fellow passengers, you may also be subject to criminal charges.  You will be banned from flying with us ever again, lose any frequent flying miles you may have and lose all elite status on this airline.  If you don't intent to comply with crew instructions or intend to play games with us like sipping on your water to keep your mask off, you must get off the plane now.  This is your last chance.  Are we clear?"

• Hook 'Em 2

I get what you are saying, but I still run into fuckers who want to argue about taking their shoes off or taking a laptop out of their bag.

TSA AGENT *every 30 seconds for the 20 min in line*,  "EVERYONE MUST REMOVE THEIR SHOES AND TAKE LAPTOPS OUT OF BAG"

Dipshit directly in front of me who finally gets to metal detector, " Do I have to take MY shoes off?"

20 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I get what you are saying, but I still run into fuckers who want to argue about taking their shoes off or taking a laptop out of their bag.

TSA AGENT *every 30 seconds for the 20 min in line*,  "EVERYONE MUST REMOVE THEIR SHOES AND TAKE LAPTOPS OUT OF BAG"

Dipshit directly in front of me who finally gets to metal detector, " Do I have to take MY shoes off?"

Global Entry/Pre/CLEAR is your friend. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

This is awesome, you may have to click through to see the full screen but trust me it's short and well worth it.

Edited by blacklab
autoplay

Flying home from Vegas this week (Southwest).  Flight is just over 2 hours long.
About halfway through, we had some turbulence.  Dude in front of me just pukes all over the place.  I don't know if he had taken his mask off, or the force of the vomit blew it off.  Watching the FA's get suited up (gloves, apron, etc) to go into battle and start to clean up the biohazards was fun.
The smell was pleasant.

A few years back a guy had his toddler expel like the girl in The Exorcist all over him. I was 20 rows up and almost vomited from the smell. When we landed and I saw the dad, he looked like he laid faced down in a puddle of oatmeal. Completely drenched from head to toe.

3 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

This is not to assign blame to the airlines or the crew, but I do think they could do one little thing better that may help.

On AA, the flight attendants come on and say things like "help us comply with the federal mask mandate" or "we ask that you keep your mask on....", with a reference to FAA rules.   On one flight, the FA actually said "we don't like it any more than you do".  It's a very soft approach to communicating this particular requirement.

I think the pilot should come on right before the door closes (or the purser if there is no time in the pilot's pre-flight routine).  He or she should say something to the effect that everyone is required to comply with crew instructions, including the mask requirement which is intended to keep everyone sage and healthy.  If you don't comply with crew instructions, you will be reported to the FAA and be subject to fines.  We may return to the gate, divert the flight or have the flight met by law enforcement officials.  If you interfere with the crew or behave inappropriate with your fellow passengers, you may also be subject to criminal charges.  You will be banned from flying with us ever again, lose any frequent flying miles you may have and lose all elite status on this airline.  If you don't intent to comply with crew instructions or intend to play games with us like sipping on your water to keep your mask off, you must get off the plane now.  This is your last chance.  Are we clear?"

Right before boarding a Southwest flight from Chicago to Austin, they came over the speaker and explained that wearing a mask was a requirement and they had masks if you needed one.  Ended with this: "If you do not WANT to wear a mask, please come see Deborah at the counter and she will direct you to the car rental agency where they can tell you how to DRIVE to Austin."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Right before boarding a Southwest flight from Chicago to Austin, they came over the speaker and explained that wearing a mask was a requirement and they had masks if you needed one.  Ended with this: "If you do not WANT to wear a mask, please come see Deborah at the counter and she will direct you to the car rental agency where they can tell you how to DRIVE to Austin."

😄Southwest wins the have fun with announcements award every year.  Kelleher's little airline is my choice whenever flying to a location they service.

9 hours ago, Chopper said:

So satisfying.

On 8/3/2021 at 10:09 PM, Biff Tannen said:

The “people new to air travel” thing is real. Saw some people in the security line in ft Lauderdale this weekend that looked more like they belonged in Walmart. 

In and out of FTL twice a year; it’s always the same crowd.  Check the wrists, though-some of the bums (boat guys) are wearing $20,000+ watches.  Worst for me is MIA; it’s as oppressive as La Guardia with more voodoo.

Is stimulus money actually driving these crowds?  I figured all that money was long gone.

20 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

This is exactly what the pilot did on my United flight from Denver to Austin last weekend. Everyone was boarded, the FAs did their thing while the door was still open.  Pilot comes out -- large, Scottish (I think) -- and basically said, "these are the mask rules. You don't have to like them, but you have to follow them. And if you don't think you can do that for the next two hours, then GTFO the plane right now because I'm not going to tolerate any BS."  It was firm and effective.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Flown Delta a few times in the last few weeks, they have been uneventful and people have been much more respectful boarding and unloading than in the past. The airports (especially Atlanta) still seem like they are way down on volume even though I think RSW has hit some record summer volumes.

1 hour ago, Horn Draoi said:

In and out of FTL twice a year; it’s always the same crowd.  Check the wrists, though-some of the bums (boat guys) are wearing $20,000+ watches.  Worst for me is MIA; it’s as oppressive as La Guardia with more voodoo.

Is stimulus money actually driving these crowds?  I figured all that money was long gone.

Cheap fares, cheaper than a bus, were the norm for a lot of domestic leisure spots in the late winter/spring. We're seeing the results now (I think this edges off come winter since fares are somewhat back to normal and above bus fare for most airlines iirc). 

The other factor is people have lost their goddamn minds, and money isn't a factor in that. Mental illness is running rampant and unchecked and getting on a metal tube 35,000' in the air is a trigger. 

It's not the cheap fares.   The uptick in incidents is almost exclusively related to masks.  The FAA needs to run some PSA.   WE here at the FAA would like you to know that airlines are not a public utility.  You have no constitutional right to fly.  If you don't like it buy your own plane. 

Looked what just popped up on the twitters

https://onemileatatime.com/news/faa-airport-police-arrest-passengers/?utm_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by midtown

23 hours ago, Incredulity said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Most people are fucking stupid, lazy, inconsiderate dipshits who think every rule and/or social norm in society doesn't apply to them. 

I had a not-great view of most people before the pandemic and now I'm convinced more than ever that we are living in the the Idiocracy and have been for quite a while.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Most people are fucking stupid, lazy, inconsiderate dipshits who think every rule and/or social norm in society doesn't apply to them. 

I had a not-great view of most people before the pandemic and now I'm convinced more than ever that we are living in the the Idiocracy and have been for quite a while.

Nah, I don't agree, most people are normal, and go about their lives trying to be good people. It's the assholes that just stick out so much.  

Not that there aren't a goodly number of 'em mind you.

2 hours ago, midtown said:

It's not the cheap fares.   The uptick in incidents is almost exclusively related to masks.  The FAA needs to run some PSA.   WE here at the FAA would like you to know that airlines are not a public utility.  You have no constitutional right to fly.  If you don't like it buy your own plane. 

Looked what just popped up on the twitters

https://onemileatatime.com/news/faa-airport-police-arrest-passengers/?utm_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=twitter

Several of these incidents have nothing to do with masks, like the “rich parents” guy, the seat recliner war, the fight with the hair being yanked out, etc. Its part of it, but not the overwhelming major contributor imo.

1 hour ago, midtown said:

1900 out of 2500. I'm not a math major but my calculations say that would be the majority

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/faa-unruly-passenger-incidents-2021

Oh, we are dealing with semantics here I see. These mostly all led to crazy altercations which I wasn't considering. Gotcha. 

Meanwhile Spirit looks like it'll be canceling nearly 60 percent of all flights again today. Bang up job, they're doing. 

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nah, I don't agree, most people are normal, and go about their lives trying to be good people. It's the assholes that just stick out so much.  

Not that there aren't a goodly number of 'em mind you.

That's probably fair.

I'm probably a little more worked up about it right now because my wife is an ICU nurse and we have a 5-month-old at home. 

Her hospital is back to five COVID units, which is what it was in the peak last winter. And she has to deal with taking care of people whose family members will literally argue about wearing a fucking mask in the hospital while someone in their family is in the ICU on a fucking vent.  Meanwhile, my wife busts her ass and is late every shift because she's busy taking care of these stupid ungrateful fucks.

I'm just so fucking fed up with people right now.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 11:16 AM, Chewbacca said:
On 7/29/2021 at 11:14 AM, Scary Stranger said:
Yeah, I've been known, much to my wife's horror, to tell other people's kids to cut their shit.

Yep. If parents aren't gonna parent, I'll do it.

Yeah, being a 2nd Grade teacher, Mrs. Wood (no pics) has always done this. Zero hesitation. I used to be more hesitant about it, until after I'd coached baseball for 3 or 4 years. It's easy now. /csb

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 3:19 PM, Chopper said:

Finished catching up on this thread and a minute later saw this. Frontier Airlines and an idiot who couldn't handle his liquor.

E74Z1PfXsAcOcGC?format=jpg&name=medium

Flight attendant speaks out about Frontier duct-taping incident...

(not really, but I still lol'd)

On 8/4/2021 at 9:24 AM, The Ace of Aces said:

True.  I’d legit consider trying to drive from San Juan to Miami before considering flying with Spirit.  

On 8/5/2021 at 2:25 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

That's probably fair.

I'm probably a little more worked up about it right now because my wife is an ICU nurse and we have a 5-month-old at home. 

Her hospital is back to five COVID units, which is what it was in the peak last winter. And she has to deal with taking care of people whose family members will literally argue about wearing a fucking mask in the hospital while someone in their family is in the ICU on a fucking vent.  Meanwhile, my wife busts her ass and is late every shift because she's busy taking care of these stupid ungrateful fucks.

I'm just so fucking fed up with people right now.

I just kick them out.  The whole family.  They can go cry somewhere else.  It’s enjoyable actually. 

• Hook 'Em 3