What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

42 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Hasn’t read about this case/followed it. But I guess it’s making the rounds on local news 24 years later.

Maybe he walked into the lake? I doubt it from the details of the disappearance and possible person of interest. Or maybe he’s in hiding in another country? Anyway, I was in school then and always following true crime so don’t know why I don’t remember hearing about  the below disappearance. Paresh Patel owned several bars around 6th in the late 90’s early 2000.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/6th-street-paresh-patel-dissapearance-missing-persons/269-988d4466-df7a-4d33-a4f0-d72ff90bfa16

It was September of 2000. Patel, a 36 year-old club owner and entrepreneur, was in charge of some of the hottest nightlife spots in Downtown Austin. 

"He was a a well known, established figure in the downtown entertainment district," Wood said. "He owned multiple bars."

One of those bars was called Metro. On Monday, Sept. 25, Patel swung by the club. 

"That was standard practice for him. He would pick up the weekends, take of the money," Wood said. 

Carrying a large amount of cash, Patel then made his way toward Azucar, a Latin dance club he also owned, located on Lavaca Street. 

Soon after that, he was never seen again.

sounds to me like he got hoffa'd.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Man... this is a mystery...

Carrying a large amount of cash, Patel then made his way toward Azucar, a Latin dance club he also owned, located on Lavaca Street. 

Soon after that, he was never seen again.

Followed by...

"We haven't narrowed down the exact motive for his disappearance, so that leaves a lot of options on the table," Austin Police Department (APD) Det. Christophe Wood said. 

I just don't know.  What could the motive be.  Hmmm.  I'm stumped.

• Haha 1

Austin Biz Journal article today that Waterloo Records is expected to lose their location at the end of their current lease term (per the article, 3 years appx from now). Endeavor is planning on re-developing that site (although article mentions that they might be able to lease space in the new project, that never happens in my experience). When I first moved to town they were  just across Town Lake on South Lamar.  @YGIFS you know anything about this travesty?

3 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

Austin Biz Journal article today that Waterloo Records is expected to lose their location at the end of their current lease term (per the article, 3 years appx from now). Endeavor is planning on re-developing that site (although article mentions that they might be able to lease space in the new project, that never happens in my experience). When I first moved to town they were  just across Town Lake on South Lamar.  @YGIFS you know anything about this travesty?

I mean, to precisely your point, that isn't Waterloo Records' forever home.  And a mundane strip center--even if we really like one of the tenants--is far from the best use of that particular piece of real estate.

I really don't think they'll have a hard time securing a lease elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

Only that endeavor is overhauling everything they can on west 6th from Lamar to mopac.  I heard the deal about a spot for Waterloo to relocate j to a new ground up.  But as you say, it’s probably bullshit.  That public storage down the road raised rates to meet their NNNut. Apparently people are figuring out you don’t need to pay studio apartment rates to access your shit once a quarter in a storage closet.  Somebody is looking real serious at re-doing that spot.  Maybe Waterloo could go there. Shit, At least there’s decent parking.  

I just love their in store shows and SXSW family stuff.  Hate to see them have to leave forever   But yeah, all your east sixth is belong to stream   All your west sixth is belong to Endeavor.  

and there is another group discreetly buying up some space on ninth Street.   And they’re doing another shell corps that Are totally not named Nate Paul or Frank Stallone

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Help me out - when can I go vote this piece of shit out of office? I can go right now?

Just heard about the CoA employee that assaulted teenagers and wound up killing one of them and got zero prison time. 

Early voting going on right now.  Here's a link to polling locations:  https://elections.traviscountytx.gov/current-election-information/current-election/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

Dude, Soros funded his first go round.  Soros has no ties to Austin, it's just a goon throwing around money to get his way.  At least the local people donating are donating to affect their LOCAL municipalities.  This EXACT mindset is what's going to screw Travis County over for years to come. We'll support someone who's backed by some National Level PAC over a local moderate who's ACTUALLY qualified but has some moderates donating to his or her cause.  Then again, Austin masses are freaking idiots and refuse to vote on anything other than a letter after their name or what the Statesman endorses.

You calling George Soros a "goon" is rather revealing.

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

Sure, all of that may be true about Garza, but Sylestine is FUNDED BY REPUBLICANS!!!!!!!!

You decide which is worse.

I'm sorry for pointing out who's been giving Sylestine's campaign money. I'll likely vote for him anyway, but his backing by Matt Mackowiak gives me serious pause.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I mean, to precisely your point, that isn't Waterloo Records' forever home.  And a mundane strip center--even if we really like one of the tenants--is far from the best use of that particular piece of real estate.

I really don't think they'll have a hard time securing a lease elsewhere.

What worries me is the owner saying, "Yeah, I've had a good run... I'm done" which does tend to happen. That would suck.  Need to hit up some more free shows while I can.

Early voted yesterday - let's replace Garza.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, bolverk said:

You calling George Soros a "goon" is rather revealing.

Starting a philanthropic arm of a company and investing millions if not billions in trying to influence politics at the level he does... Yeah, no thanks.  That money would be better spent feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, or aiding natural disasters, not funding Beto's third failed attempt at running for office.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Austin Biz Journal article today that Waterloo Records is expected to lose their location at the end of their current lease term (per the article, 3 years appx from now). Endeavor is planning on re-developing that site (although article mentions that they might be able to lease space in the new project, that never happens in my experience). 

I'm similarly skeptical that Swedish Hill will re-open in their new permanent location once development is finished.  (Eh, it's not the same as Sweetish Hill, anyway. Mostly the same, but I preferred the old name.)

• Rage+1 1

46 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Starting a philanthropic arm of a company and investing millions if not billions in trying to influence politics at the level he does... Yeah, no thanks.  That money would be better spent feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, or aiding natural disasters, not funding Beto's third failed attempt at running for office.

Now do Tim Dunn, the Koch Brothers, David Green, etc.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm similarly skeptical that Swedish Hill will re-open in their new permanent location once development is finished.  (Eh, it's not the same as Sweetish Hill, anyway. Mostly the same, but I preferred the old name.)

I think that one is much more likely since Swedish Hill is owned by MML and they are partners in the redevelopment.

• Hook 'Em 2

AUSTIN, Texas — The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children is asking for the public’s help in locating 13-year-old Kylee Washington, who was last seen at her home in Austin on Feb. 1.

Kylee is described as 5’3” tall and weighs 120 pounds. She has brown eyes and black hair. Officials believe she is still in the Austin area.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/officials-searching-for-missing-13-year-old-girl-out-of-austin-kylee-washington-ncmec-national-center-for-missing-and-exploited-children#

—————————————-

I get because of her age possible runaway scenario might have been pursued initially. But it’s been fucking 3 weeks. If something nefarious happened and she did not run away any decent information by way of witnesses or people who thought they might have seen something is lost and at best hazy. Fuck. What the fuck is wrong with you Austin? 

IMG_9538.webp

8 hours ago, royiv said:

Now do Tim Dunn, the Koch Brothers, David Green, etc.

Can’t they all be galactic douchebags? Both foreign and domestic?

Comparing the two options for the next Travis County DA, the choice seems clear, regardless of who gives money to who. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 2

Does anyone in Austin really give a shit about these? I live in West Lake Hills, so doesn't really impact me, but seems unfair to adjacent streets. I have noticed them when I'm cutting through Bouldin to get to Polvos or El Mercado on S. 1st.

On 2/21/2024 at 12:14 PM, Pig Bellmont said:

Oh look, Nicole confessing to another murder 

I just saw an ad on YouTube that murders in Austin are up %127 and auto thefts are over %100 as well.  My oldest kid was in the room and looked startled and I reassured him that he’s fine as long as he stays away from Rainey Street bars and Town Lake at night in general. 

The ad was fucking stupid and was meant to scare people who probably just moved here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I just saw an ad on YouTube that murders in Austin are up %127 and auto thefts are over %100 as well.  My oldest kid was in the room and looked startled and I reassured him that he’s fine as long as he stays away from Rainey Street bars and Town Lake at night in general. 

The ad was fucking stupid and was meant to scare people who probably just moved here. 

Here is the murder map so far for 2024…

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-homicide-map-2024/?ipid=promo-link-block1

Ten homicides since start of the year. They update it with each one so it’s a good one to follow if you are keeping track of Austin murders. I have to study this. I don’t want any crossover stuff with my “work.” Still in Atlanta. Lots of crime here too. I have to stay focused. ✌️ 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Here is the murder map so far for 2024…

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-homicide-map-2024/?ipid=promo-link-block1

Ten homicides since start of the year. They update it with each one so it’s a good one to follow if you are keeping track of Austin murders. I have to study this. I don’t want any crossover stuff with my “work.” Still in Atlanta. Lots of crime here too. I have to stay focused. ✌️ 

Ahem... 11.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/police-investigating-homicide-in-southeast-austin/

Had a good streak for most of February, but now three in five days. WTF Austin?

Homeless camp on Parmer back in the woods, but you could see it from the street if you were looking for it. Fairly hidden. Drove by today, and they have a fucking garage sale set up with several tables on the side of Parmer. If any of y'all want used tires for $10, I know a place because they literally have a painted sign advertising it on the side of the road.

On 2/22/2024 at 10:28 AM, PvilleStang said:

All of those things you listed are things the government is supposed to do. Willing to bet you're the "small government" type, though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Does anyone in Austin really give a shit about these? I live in West Lake Hills, so doesn't really impact me, but seems unfair to adjacent streets. I have noticed them when I'm cutting through Bouldin to get to Polvos or El Mercado on S. 1st.

What I do is I note their suggestion and then I keep driving where I was intending to. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Mister, you’re going the wrong way!

”how the hell does he know where we’re going?”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Ahem... 11.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/police-investigating-homicide-in-southeast-austin/

Had a good streak for most of February, but now three in five days. WTF Austin?

Yeah, we were doing well and then...

BTW, those ads?  The people they're trying to scare?  Guess where the live on this map?

image.png.240ec6d603f45a6fc7f2419bc10e63db.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Shutting down streets feels good for the one street but it puts extra traffic and risk onto neighboring roads, and for that reason I'm against it.

6 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Shutting down streets feels good for the one street but it puts extra traffic and risk onto neighboring roads, and for that reason I'm against it.

What's funny about this is that I don't know that they are enforceable.  Its not like there is a Safety Sally stationed at each entrance checking papers.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Homeless camp on Parmer back in the woods, but you could see it from the street if you were looking for it. Fairly hidden. Drove by today, and they have a fucking garage sale set up with several tables on the side of Parmer. If any of y'all want used tires for $10, I know a place because they literally have a painted sign advertising it on the side of the road.

parmer and where?

6 minutes ago, texasdago said:

What's funny about this is that I don't know that they are enforceable.  Its not like there is a Safety Sally stationed at each entrance checking papers.

I don't think it's remotely enforceable. For starters - "local traffic" is a wildly arbitrary, subjective term. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't think it's remotely enforceable. For starters - "local traffic" is a wildly arbitrary, subjective term. 

I hate it just like I hate "residential parking only".  I pay property taxes like everyone else, and those taxes (in part) fund infrastructure.  The idea that I can't (or shouldn't) drive or park on any particular public street is infuriating.

#oldmancloudsetc

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Define "local". 

I live in Austin. I consider myself local. 

• Hook 'Em 4

59 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Some local dude bought the sign and pylons and put them up. Not remotely city/county sanctioned. I ignore that shit. I'm still waiting for some dude to try to stop me to enforce the bullshit. I'll ask him to write me a fake ticket.

• Hook 'Em 3

CapMetro built a new McKalla Place stop (great idea, honestly).

Um, it cost $60 million dollars? The downtown library was $120 million. Q2 Stadium was $260 million.

Then the thing didn't even operate right, stranding people. Holy shit we are in deep.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

56 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

CapMetro built a new McKalla Place stop (great idea, honestly).

Um, it cost $60 million dollars? The downtown library was $120 million. Q2 Stadium was $260 million.

Then the thing didn't even operate right, stranding people. Holy shit we are in deep.

Just wait until you see the final bill on Project Connect. Its already doubled in cost and halved in scope and they haven't even turned a shovel yet.

Just now, Orange&White said:

Just wait until you see the final bill on Project Connect. Its already doubled in cost and halved in scope and they haven't even turned a shovel yet.

Oh, trust me. I know. 

It needs to be revoted it has changed so substantially. Right, going to build trains city wide when the Zilker Zephyr still doesn't run.