New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

On 9/20/2023 at 1:45 PM, Gucci_Suit said:

When we return to grass, we should also do some extra iconic landscaping around the field like they do in the SEC. But instead of hedges, I was thinking cactus? You don’t go into Austin, TX and get a win between the cacti, etc. 

Or maybe instead of grass, we should zero scape the field? Creative juices are flowing. 

We’re gonna need to order more footballs. Or stock up on this…

IMG_1746.thumb.png.abfb8ac54b28aea7a7856524225efbba.png

22 minutes ago, troph said:

yeah ok, maybe a redirect is needed here....

so what the fuck is the latest on pods? what's the SEC gonna look like when we show up to fuck their shit up?

I'm not sure there is a "latest" on pods.

As of the spring, the Sankey said it would be one of two models: 1-7 or 3-6. No divisions. No pods. They couldn't get the required votes for either so they made the 2024 bridge schedule.

This IT piece is the only place I've seen pods brought up again, and they gave no details. Feels more like clickbait.

49 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

I'm not sure there is a "latest" on pods.

As of the spring, the Sankey said it would be one of two models: 1-7 or 3-6. No divisions. No pods. They couldn't get the required votes for either so they made the 2024 bridge schedule.

This IT piece is the only place I've seen pods brought up again, and they gave no details. Feels more like clickbait.

Ah yes forgot where it landed the bump and university area homeless youth discussion threw me for a loop 

On 9/20/2023 at 1:45 PM, Gucci_Suit said:

When we return to grass, we should also do some extra iconic landscaping around the field like they do in the SEC. But instead of hedges, I was thinking cactus? You don’t go into Austin, TX and get a win between the cacti, etc. 

If we do this, Okie Lite needs to be on the non-conference schedule every year. 

Didn’t think I’d be heading back into this thread but i have a question- is there a reason that the 3-6-6 has to involve 4 four team pods that all play each other, instead of pairing each team up with their best 3 matchups/rivalries and filling in from there?  Too much complexity, or want some semblance of a shared schedule?

and more importantly, co 2001 and dragworm. Never heard of drag rat until this thread. 

5 hours ago, troph said:

yeah ok, maybe a redirect is needed here....

so what the fuck is the latest on pods? what's the SEC gonna look like when we show up to fuck their shit up?

I'm doing well. Thank you for asking. 

I'm fairly positive you've been to West Texas and seen all the dead armadillos. That's what the rest of the SEC is going to look like after we show up. Flat, bloody and riddled with leprosy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Didn’t think I’d be heading back into this thread but i have a question- is there a reason that the 3-6-6 has to involve 4 four team pods that all play each other, instead of pairing each team up with their best 3 matchups/rivalries and filling in from there?

It doesn't. That's why 3-6-6 is better than Pods.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Didn’t think I’d be heading back into this thread but i have a question- is there a reason that the 3-6-6 has to involve 4 four team pods that all play each other, instead of pairing each team up with their best 3 matchups/rivalries and filling in from there?  Too much complexity, or want some semblance of a shared schedule?

and more importantly, co 2001 and dragworm. Never heard of drag rat until this thread. 

3-6-6 and 4-team pods are two completely separate setups.

7 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

It doesn't. That's why 3-6-6 is better than Pods.

This feels weirdly personal. 

On a serious note, the best set up for Texas would have been a protected OU game and rotate the others.

Playing Arkansas and aggy yearly does nothing for me and does nothing for UT.

Everyone would be much better off if we launched the Arkansas and aggy fanbases into the sun. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Pods said:

I'm doing well. Thank you for asking. 

I'm fairly positive you've been to West Texas and seen all the dead armadillos. That's what the rest of the SEC is going to look like after we show up. Flat, bloody and riddled with leprosy. 

Excellent retort you should win today. But it’s usually titties, suck my dick retorts or mass posting. But in my book you win the day. 

• Haha 2

I’m good with a pod of aggy, piggy, and OU. These are our rivals. If you don’t think they are, well you don’t know shit about our history. 

Take a deep breath. We’ll play everybody else every other year. 

aggy’s bitch made pod will be interesting. I think it’ll be piggy to keep their dumb ass game in Jerryworld, Texas, and LSU. I’m not sure if LSU be furious with that. They seem to enjoy engaging aggy insanity. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not with Pods. They would need to add permanent crossovers because not everyone's rivals fit nicely into the same pod.

Example:

UGA needs to play UF and AU
Bama needs to play UTn and AU

One of those matchups cannot happen with pods unless you add permanent crossovers and lengthen the rotation.

That's why 3-6-6 wins.

Edited by gatormarc
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Not with Pods. They would need to add permanent crossovers because not everyone's rivals fit nicely into the same pod.

Example:

UGA needs to play UF and AU
Bama needs to play UTn and AU

One of those matchups cannot happen with pods unless you add permanent crossovers and lengthen the rotation.

That's why 3-6-6 wins.

Well alright. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

3-6-6 and 4-team pods are two completely separate setups.

With 4 team pods, the 3 others in your pod are the 3 in the 3-3-6.  But it would still be a 3-3-6. 

my question is why would that have to be the case, instead of using the 3 protected games to protect the best matchups you can, and then do the best you can with the remainder?

32 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

With 4 team pods, the 3 others in your pod are the 3 in the 3-3-6.  But it would still be a 3-3-6. 

my question is why would that have to be the case, instead of using the 3 protected games to protect the best matchups you can, and then do the best you can with the remainder?

I think the confusion is that from Texas's viewpoint, the ideal pod and 3 permanent rivals look the same.

That's not the case for the rest of the conference.

For pods to work, they would have to add additional protected crossover games since the top rivalries don't all fit in the same 4 team buckets.

Let's just go ahead and make some pods:

Texas - Oklahoma - A&M - Arkansas
Alabama - Auburn - Tennessee - Vanderbilt
Florida - Georgia - South Carolina - Kentucky
Missouri - LSU - Ole Miss - Miss St.

This is a great pod solution for most rivalries but it kills Auburn-Georgia game, so it's pretty much a non starter. Crosspod rivals would have to be locked down as well.

By having a single 16 team conference with no divisions or pods and with each having their own personal set of 3 rival games, you secure more rivalries and you can secure the quickest rotation. It's like each school has their own personal pod.

Edited by gatormarc
  • Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m good with a pod of aggy, piggy, and OU. These are our rivals. If you don’t think they are, well you don’t know shit about our history. 

I assume this is in regards to me saying Arkansas and aggy do nothing for me, or for UT, since the past few pages have mostly been drag worm vs. drag rat chat.

First, I'm quite familiar with our history and have been going to games since both Arkansas and aggy were conference opponents in the SWC. I'm not sure why you would assume any differently on a message board filled with mostly middle aged male Texas fans. 

That said, I absolutely stand by the post. They do nothing for us anymore. 

OU is our rival and we are OU's rival.

We are also aggy's rival and Arkansas' rival. They are our second and third rivals, respectively, with both rivalries long dead. They don't make much of a shit to me, or our program anymore. 

OU and UT have national aspirations. Arkansas is limited to regional aspirations, at best. More likely, NIL kills their program.  aggy will forever have national aspirations in their head, but never achieve them. 

I can understand why you might feel differently and feel affinity for playing them, but I think a lot of us view Arkansas and aggy as problematic exes that we rather enjoyed not having to spend time around anymore. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

aggy’s bitch made pod will be interesting. I think it’ll be piggy to keep their dumb ass game in Jerryworld, Texas, and LSU. I’m not sure if LSU be furious with that. They seem to enjoy engaging aggy insanity. 

The SEC is actively trying to avoid the appearance of pseudo pods.

Texas, aggy, and Arkansas as of the last leak will not all play each other as rivals.

The Arkansas/aggy game in Jerry World ends after 2024 and will not be renewed. Neither school really seem to care about the game.

The aggy rivals will be Texas, LSU, and some other SEC school East of the Mississippi, most have penciled in MSU.

On 9/20/2023 at 1:10 PM, Pancho said:

From IT:

Hide contents

Nothing matters more than the 2023 season and the 3-0 Texas Longhorns readying to travel to Waco to play the Baylor Bears. After that game Texas has visiting Kansas, a dangerous offensive team, and then travels to Dallas for the annual rivalry game against Oklahoma. So there’s plenty to concern ourselves with in the present.

As for the future, Texas’ inaugural 2024 SEC season is already scheduled. But that schedule is a placeholder, a one-off designed to buy the schedulers and politicians in the SEC time to figure out a more permanent arrangement. 

Nine game conference schedule 

We are not reporting this as fact but we’ve heard it credibly the SEC will revert to a nine game conference schedule in 2025. Currently the SEC employs an eight game slate that typically features four pushovers in non-conference. SEC scheduling has largely helped to build the mystique of the conference once you get past Alabama, Georgia, LSU and sometimes Florida. That fourth non-conference game equates to a whole lot of conference wins rather than the 50/50 win-loss split you see in other conferences. 

The extra conference game is something Texas power brokers have supported as a way to improve gates and concessions as well as the overall product and fan experience. As you know, the current UT leadership wants all the challenges, best represented by the move to the SEC in the first place. Why switch conferences to play an extra directional school each year?

The NCAA moving to a 12-team playoff has made this schedule more palatable to conference decision-makers.

Pod of Rivals

We aren’t reporting this as fact, either, but we’re also hearing the 16 member universities will be broken into four pods. The best guess on Texas’ pod includes Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Arkansas. That would be a Pod of Rivals if there ever was one.

RRS game time

Speaking of OU, we’ve heard that game will permanently move to a 2:30 p.m. time slot. We expect it to be held at 11:00 a.m. this year but going forward you’ll likely have the chance to drink much more wax beer and eat much more fried foods at the State Fair. Pace yourselves accordingly.

Natural grass

A final note, the topic of a natural playing surface returning to DKR is often brought up, especially after the scorching conditions on the field turf against Rice and Alabama. Grass will make its return but that’s probably still a few seasons away. We weren’t given a reason for that but we’re sure there’s a good one.

Spoiler

Nothing matters more than the 2023 season and the 3-0 Texas Longhorns readying to travel to Waco to play the Baylor Bears. After that game Texas has visiting Kansas, a dangerous offensive team, and then travels to Dallas for the annual rivalry game against Oklahoma. So there’s plenty to concern ourselves with in the present.

As for the future, Texas’ inaugural 2024 SEC season is already scheduled. But that schedule is a placeholder, a one-off designed to buy the schedulers and politicians in the SEC time to figure out a more permanent arrangement. 

We are not reporting this as fact but we’ve heard it credibly the SEC will revert to a nine game conference schedule in 2025. Currently the SEC employs an eight game slate that typically features four pushovers in non-conference. SEC scheduling has largely helped to build the mystique of the conference once you get past Alabama, Georgia, LSU and sometimes Florida. That fourth non-conference game equates to a whole lot of conference wins rather than the 50/50 win-loss split you see in other conferences. 

The extra conference game is something Texas power brokers have supported as a way to improve gates and concessions as well as the overall product and fan experience. As you know, the current UT leadership wants all the challenges, best represented by the move to the SEC in the first place. Why switch conferences to play an extra directional school each year?

The NCAA moving to a 12-team playoff has made this schedule more palatable to conference decision-makers.

Pod of Rivals

We aren’t reporting this as fact, either, but we’re also hearing the 16 member universities will be broken into four pods. The best guess on Texas’ pod includes Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Arkansas. That would be a Pod of Rivals if there ever was one.

RRS game time

Speaking of OU, we’ve heard that game will permanently move to a 2:30 p.m. time slot. We expect it to be held at 11:00 a.m. this year but going forward you’ll likely have the chance to drink much more wax beer and eat much more fried foods at the State Fair. Pace yourselves accordingly.

Natural grass

A final note, the topic of a natural playing surface returning to DKR is often brought up, especially after the scorching conditions on the field turf against Rice and Alabama. Grass will make its return but that’s probably still a few seasons away. We weren’t given a reason for that but we’re sure there’s a good one.

plaintext

Spoiler

Pod of Rivals

RRS game time

Natural grass

11 hours ago, Hozz said:

Same.  Age 50.  Lived in Austin 91-97.

Yep. At UT ‘91-‘95 and Dragworms was all I heard. 

Note: watched the season opening Mississippi State (Jackie Sherrill castration) game 1991 in the Castilian with my roommate’s dad. Horrible game!

As we left and walked back down the Drag, a dragworm that looked like Miss Gulch from Wizard of Oz would follow people closely and then turn around and walk the other way, follow someone and then turn back the other way. She was followed m, pulled a steak knife on me and was holding it above my back like she was about to plunge it into me. I looked back just in time to see her raising it and she quickly turned and took off in the other direction.

I’m sure she was schizophrenic and I think she was a racist. My roommate’s dad was black and she seemed to have a visceral reaction to him (and I guess me because I was with him). I was down there another time soon after and watched her and it seemed like she only reacted to black people. Weird. My only interaction with a drag worm. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, mdmost said:

Hmm. Either he doesn't know they play every year or he let it slip that pods or 1 dedicated rival are happening instead of 3-6-6.

I just assume Hugh Freeze is too much of an imbecile to be made privy to future scheduling approaches, therefore this is just him flippantly and ignorantly wishcasting. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:
18 hours ago, mdmost said:

Hmm. Either he doesn't know they play every year or he let it slip that pods or 1 dedicated rival are happening instead of 3-6-6.

Expand  

I just assume Hugh Freeze is too much of an imbecile to be made privy to future scheduling approaches, therefore this is just him flippantly and ignorantly wishcasting. 

It could just be a shot across the bow at the Auburn admin since they were one of the votes against the 9 game schedule in May or at least they refused to commit .

Edited by gatormarc

• 1 month later...