Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

texifornia

God help me, but I had to look up and see if that pustule Matt Hayes was still employed. He's writing for some B1G 10-centric site called Saturday Tradition

No Talent Ass Clown Articles

Here's the type of insight you'll find ol' Matt still slinging (in his ranking of the top 25 OCs in college football).

5. Bobby Petrino, Texas A&M

The longtime head coach has seen it all. But nothing will match the dynamics that could play out this season with the Aggies — good or bad. Petrino is an elite quarterbacks developer, and maybe the best play-caller of the past 2 decades. He understands offenses and how to attack defenses like few others. But his personality eventually rubs everyone the wrong way.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Matt Hayes. What a fucking hack. Is that imbecile still around? I remember how adamant he was that a spread offense could never succeed in the SEC. He wrote stories about how Urban Meyer was going to have to change his offense to win at Florida. Just a fucking know-nothing through and through. 

Matt Hayes also predicted us to go 8-4 in 2005. He is a bigtime OSU honk. After 2005, he hated on Texas a lot more.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Matt Hayes. What a fucking hack. Is that imbecile still around? I remember how adamant he was that a spread offense could never succeed in the SEC. He wrote stories about how Urban Meyer was going to have to change his offense to win at Florida. Just a fucking know-nothing through and through. 

Weird how all the “SEC defenses” now give up 30 a game now that the offenses they face aren’t slow tempo pro style run, run, pass, isn’t it?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You touch on one of my favorite Liucci quotes. During the OC hiring fiasco at aTm, before Petrino turned them down the first time, ole’ Billy was introducing Petrino to his marks to try to break in the shock and disappointment that he would be the possible hire. 

I will pause now to remind everyone here, amidst the Petrino Kool Aid times we see now, that his initial reveal as a candidate, and then as the hire, we’re both met with chagrin and disappointment. Both times. 

anyway, in his blurb discussing Petrino, and I’ll never forget this, he literally described Petrino as leading Missouri State to “never before seen heights.” I laughed for about 20 minutes, then posted his stats and record at Missouri State. I’m also pretty sure he was on a downward W/L trend year over year. Never before seen heights indeed. 

It wasn’t just Liucci, who was hating on the Petrino possibility, it was ubiquitous throughout the aggysphere. Good Bull Hunting said in an article in November:

I’d low key hate this hire since it would give the Ags two coordinators with scandalous pasts, but I feel like he may actually be on A&M’s radar. As mentioned with other candidates, he has the experience to give Jimbo some level of comfort in giving him authority (HC at Arkansas and Louisville, OC at Auburn and in the NFL), and his “power spread” offense a history of good production. But this just feels stale, and stale is the last thing this A&M program needs.”

This was shortly before Petrino initially turned them down and went to UNLV. Mullen, Longo, and Garrett Riley we’re the preferred candidates. Lulz.

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2022/11/21/23471567/who-should-top-the-list-of-texas-a-m-aggies-offensive-coordinator-options-jimbo-fisher

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Matt Hayes also predicted us to go 8-4 in 2005. He is a bigtime OSU honk. After 2005, he hated on Texas a lot more.

Yeah, but now he ranks Mack Brown (who he ragged on constantly while at the Sporting News) in his top 10 of the current best HCs in CF, citing what Mack did at Texas and our 10 years of wandering through the desert of mediocrity.

For fun, here is the saved text from the Matt Hayes Sporting News article, explaining that Reggie McNeal is better…
The guy can't catch a break. He has been dealing with this -- what's that term athletes use? -- disrespect going on seven years now. Since back to high school, when his tall, skinny rival from the big city always got credit for doing more and showing more even though he really didn't.

All Reggie McNeal needs now is that annoying uncle at the annual family reunion, the one who always says you'll never be as good as . . .

"It's always been Vince," McNeal says. "He's the one I'm always compared to."

Anyone who has followed Texas quarterback Vince Young and Texas A&M quarterback Reggie McNeal knows there is no comparison. McNeal is a complete quarterback; Young is not. McNeal can make all the throws, and he can be dazzling and deflating when he scrambles away from pressure. Young is a tailback trapped in the body of a quarterback, the first guy you pick when choosing sides because God knows you don't want to tackle him.

McNeal has better career numbers -- and has been a more productive player -- than Young, yet Young is everybody's All-American. Young has every able-bodied sportswriter, television bobblehead and amateur analyst gawking over his quick feet and flashy moves. McNeal barely is known outside of College Station.

Young is a Heisman Trophy favorite, but he's not the best quarterback in his conference. Or even in his division.

"Reggie is a once-in-a-lifetime player," says A&M coach Dennis Franchione.

That's what all of the recruiting experts were saying about Young four years ago. The best player in the nation, the best quarterback in the nation, a consensus No. 1 recruit. And McNeal? They didn't even know where to slot him, and some gave him the catchall "athlete" label. Yet it was McNeal who led his small-town Lufkin High team to a Texas Class 5A state championship after Young's big-city Houston team lost in the semifinals -- with an opportunity to play Lufkin on the line.

"Would've been a great game," McNeal says.

It also would've been his only fair shot at competing against Young. The reality: Young is playing with a bazooka behind a talented Texas team. McNeal is playing with a pop gun. Young plays for one of the nation's top five teams, a media darling of a program that gets bigger with every season. McNeal plays for the Longhorns' stepsister, a once-proud program in the middle of a housecleaning under Franchione.

Yet, with all of that, one thing stands clear: Young is style; McNeal is substance.

"No one in this conference scares you more than Reggie McNeal," says Iowa State coach Dan McCarney.

A few weeks ago, Franchione sat at a table during the Big 12 media days and humbly said McNeal ran a legitimate 4.3 40 in summer timing. Not a pencil moved. A day later, when told of a teammate's alleged sub-4.3 40 time, Young defiantly responded, "Ain't nobody on this team faster than me." The assembled throng of media giggled and feverishly scribbled on notepads before launching into a series of Heisman Trophy questions.

Heisman Trophy.

What's that word again? Yeah, disrespect.

I would agree with McNeal, no comparison at all.
2b60af1097da24767af9e94445e32775.jpg
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

You touch on one of my favorite Liucci quotes. During the OC hiring fiasco at aTm, before Petrino turned them down the first time, ole’ Billy was introducing Petrino to his marks to try to break in the shock and disappointment that he would be the possible hire. 

I will pause now to remind everyone here, amidst the Petrino Kool Aid times we see now, that his initial reveal as a candidate, and then as the hire, we’re both met with chagrin and disappointment. Both times. 

anyway, in his blurb discussing Petrino, and I’ll never forget this, he literally described Petrino as leading Missouri State to “never before seen heights.” I laughed for about 20 minutes, then posted his stats and record at Missouri State. I’m also pretty sure he was on a downward W/L trend year over year. Never before seen heights indeed. 

Maybe Looch is dyslexic when he looks at the charts?

For the record- I got nothing against McNeal. It’s just that he really didn’t develop much after his freshman year, and Vince really did…a lot. 

Matt Hayes is a total dumbass though. There was plenty of VY footage from 2003-2004 showing that something here was really special 

Just now, statsman said:

For the record- I got nothing against McNeal. It’s just that he really didn’t develop much after his freshman year, and Vince really did…a lot. 

Matt Hayes is a total dumbass though. There was plenty of VY footage from 2003-2004 showing that something here was really special 

This isn’t entirely true. Didn’t he allegedly develop a coke habit? I thought I remember him getting popped for fighting in midtown Houston (red door?) and he had some coke on him. Could be mistaken. 

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This isn’t entirely true. Didn’t he allegedly develop a coke habit? I thought I remember him getting popped for fighting in midtown Houston (red door?) and he had some coke on him. Could be mistaken. 

Per his Wiki page (which some poor sheepfucker had to make and find career "highlights" for, including his lone NFL stat of an 8-yard scramble resulting in a first down!)

n the early morning of Sunday, December 3, 2006, McNeal was arrested and charged with resisting arrest at The Red Door, a nightclub in downtown Houston, Texas. McNeal allegedly pushed an off-duty Houston Police Department officer while trying to get into the club after it closed.[17] Stemming from the same evening's events, McNeal also faced drug possession charges for having a cigarette which contained promethazine, a prescription antihistamine and also a popular street drug.[18]

In 2012, Reggie was found to be carrying marijuana in his car.[19]

"Real Deal" indeed

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I feel sorry for those of you who are too young to have witnessed the glory that was Agtimes.com before it folded.  Ed Watson, the owner, brought the pure, uncut, Peruvian maroon flake to that board. Best of all was how he gussied up everything in faux-military speak. "Well, it didn't look like the Ags had much of a chance when General McNeal and his squad took the field at 1900 hours ..."  

• Haha 4

For reference, the 247 composite has us at 1/9/6 right now.  (And them at 1/17/2 fwiw)

we shall see how that changes over the season, but we all already know that any elevations to our commits will be received by them as bias so it won’t matter in those parts. Unless we are not good in a couple of seasons, when they will point to the higher rankings as proof that the team is loaded with talented players yet underachieving. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, statsman said:

Yea I mean VY in college was literally a man amongst boys.

Like if I was to play in some 3rd graders football league. 

He was that good. 

For you youngins if you haven't watched older highlights you should check them out , he was unreal 

• Hook 'Em 2

Honestly, he ran like Doak Walker. I’ve seen Doak’s highlights- a graceful glider, got up to speed quickly but seemingly effortlessly, had moves in stride that made people look silly as they missed. 

Only difference is that Doak was 5’10” and 180 #, and passed sparingly his whole college career. Vince was 6’4”, 225, faster top end and got better as a passer every year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I feel sorry for those of you who are too young to have witnessed the glory that was Agtimes.com before it folded.  Ed Watson, the owner, brought the pure, uncut, Peruvian maroon flake to that board. Best of all was how he gussied up everything in faux-military speak. "Well, it didn't look like the Ags had much of a chance when General McNeal and his squad took the field at 1900 hours ..."  

I loved the Agtimes certainty in their moral and ethical superiority to Longhorns, at all times. 

5 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Aggy

Screenshot_20230819_124103_Chrome.jpg

Aggy won heads up against us on Myles Davis and Tyanthony Smith, both good gets.  Blake Ivey and Weston Davis are both players I hope the Texas staff circles back to if we whiff on the Mater Dei boys.  If Dealyn Evans can gain 40 pounds and maintain his quickness, he'll be a really good interior D-lineman.  Cameron Coleman is a legitimately fantastic WR prospect who wins a ton of difficult jump balls in his film and is really difficult to bring down after the catch.  Of their 20 current commits, those are the only 6 dudes I think Texas would be interested in and we're currently looking at better prospects than all of them.

I like Josh Lair more than Myles Davis, Lair hits like a truck.  Davis shows better coverage skills on film, but you can't teach a violent mentality like Lair has.

Brandon Baker and Deandre Carter are both better OL prospects than Davis and Ivey.

Dominick McKinley is just as athletic as Evans at DL but is already bigger and has a better frame for adding more weight to play inside.

Ryan Wingo has better deep speed than Coleman, though Coleman shows more jump ball skills on film.  

There's only one guy Aggy has that was clearly at the top of our board at the position and that is Tyanthony Smith.  And considering last year's haul, I don't think we were pushing all that hard to fill a LB spot in this class.

And that's not even mentioning the dudes we already have committed.  Texas is addressing its roster needs well with this class so far and, if we close out strongly with the remaining guys on our board, I wouldn't trade our class for anyone else's.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Honestly, he ran like Doak Walker. I’ve seen Doak’s highlights- a graceful glider, got up to speed quickly but seemingly effortlessly, had moves in stride that made people look silly as they missed. 

Only difference is that Doak was 5’10” and 180 #, and passed sparingly his whole college career. Vince was 6’4”, 225, faster top end and got better as a passer every year. 

Highest passer efficiency in the country his junior year. And all anyone talked about was his running. But having him with Sweed, Selvin, Ramonce, Thomas, Pittman, and Jamaal was filthy. Even Myron Hardy, Nate Jones, and Peter Ullman stood up to make the occasional play. Hardy's catch in the 2005 title game in particular always stodd out to me. If Henry Melton would've decdided to lower his shoulder more to bowl people over and stopped trying to run like Reggie Bush, he could've been a really special RB (not that he wasn't a good DE eventually). And holy shit, the OL. So mean and nasty.

That team was just so stacked

Edited by campcrunk
Fixed because I forgot VY was a Jr.

2 hours ago, statsman said:

More than straight line speed, it was his quickness that defied his size. There are TD runs from within 10 yards of the goal line where he makes about a dozen moves to walk in untouched.

• texifornia changed the title to Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread