Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

texifornia

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's always crazy to watch aggies rationalize bad shit happening with their program. Of the 20 guys officially in the portal from ATM, 9 of them are from the last two classes. 6 of them were originally top 100 national recruits. 13 4 stars, 2 5 stars. Y Brown was a 4 star and he's not listed yet. If Cooper does jump, he's another 4 star. Admittedly, one of the players (3 star) is a kicker, but the premise that many of the rest of these guys were dead weight is laughable. Their guys going in are young. 

Compare their losses, so far, to Texas. Texas has 12 scholarship players in the portal. 4 of them are offensive linemen. ATM has one OL in there. You want the non-performing OLs such as Garth, Parr and Karic in there, as they don't contribute on special teams. Admittedly, losing Angilau wasn't ideal. There are 4 guys from 2021 in there and none from 2022. One of the 2021 is the punter. It's mostly older guys that have been passed over on the depth chart.

Sign a big class every year and then optimize & cherry-pick from the portal. A&M is bizarrely doing the opposite. Signing a tiny class and then trying build all of their depth in the portal. 

It’s such an easy formula too, you have to be a moron to not get it. 

Sign 25 a year. Ruthlessly run off 10 guys after their 2nd or 3rd year that aren’t cracking the two deep. Replace those 10 guys with upper level guys in the portal that have proven they can be on your two deep as needs exist on the roster.  Those guys should be G5 or FCS stars or solid starters on mid tier P5 teams. Guys with 1 year

of eligibility so you aren’t messing with the timelines of your high school recruits. 

Push your chips in for a star or two where they will move the needle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's always crazy to watch aggies rationalize bad shit happening with their program. Of the 20 guys officially in the portal from ATM, 9 of them are from the last two classes. 6 of them were originally top 100 national recruits. 13 4 stars, 2 5 stars. Y Brown was a 4 star and he's not listed yet. If Cooper does jump, he's another 4 star. Admittedly, one of the players (3 star) is a kicker, but the premise that many of the rest of these guys were dead weight is laughable. Their guys going in are young. 

Compare their losses, so far, to Texas. Texas has 12 scholarship players in the portal. 4 of them are offensive linemen. ATM has one OL in there. You want the non-performing OLs such as Garth, Parr and Karic in there, as they don't contribute on special teams. Admittedly, losing Angilau wasn't ideal. There are 4 guys from 2021 in there and none from 2022. One of the 2021 is the punter. It's mostly older guys that have been passed over on the depth chart.

Sign a big class every year and then optimize & cherry-pick from the portal. A&M is bizarrely doing the opposite. Signing a tiny class and then trying build all of their depth in the portal. 

I mean I don’t think they’re signing a small class and building depth from the portal intentionally…just through ineptitude.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

5 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

If I’m understanding this correctly, the amount of maroon money offered to Hill far outstrips what Texas can/will do from an NIL perspective, but most of the Aggies think the only reason Hill is considering Texas is because A&M is being outbid?

Most likely, the correct scenario is  Aggy is offering Hill a bag of cash right now, with a promise for more bags in the future. Texas is offering Hill a minimum guarantee of NIL opportunities in the future, with the possibility of more. Aggy fans know that the Texas NIL offer is better than any NIL offering that A&M might have. BUT, since they're a bunch of regarded morons, they are somehow blissfully unaware that their recruiters are handing out bags of cash, and that the only reason they signed the #1 class last year was those same bags of cash.

2 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Most likely, the correct scenario is  Aggy is offering Hill a bag of cash right now, with a promise for more bags in the future. Texas is offering Hill a minimum guarantee of NIL opportunities in the future, with the possibility of more. Aggy fans know that the Texas NIL offer is better than any NIL offering that A&M might have. BUT, since they're a bunch of regarded morons, they are somehow blissfully unaware that their recruiters are handing out bags of cash, and that the only reason they signed the #1 class last year was those same bags of cash.

That’s fair. Given the rest of the nonsense surrounding being an Aggie which is swallowed uncritically, it may well be that some of them are regarded enough to believe that these guys have been showing up because they’re all about College Station, the milkmen, and not so much as a division championship this century.  

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's not plausible to ask some of you guys who haven't been on this board the whole time to go back and read threads from the beginning, but it's also difficult to capture everything regarding the ATM situation in quick bullets and still do it justice. I'll do my best, but I also recommend reading the June-July pages for this thread, the ATM 2023 thread and the Texas 2023 thread if you want some additional context that is also entertaining.

-ATM boosters went all-in with Fisher after what they viewed as confirmation of his future prowess - the 2020 corona season. We foretold of this to the board in the UT 2022 thread in Jan/Feb of 21. 

-ATM bought the bestest class ever after 8 and 4feit for the 2022 cycle.

-They went so far overboard with their bag game that they broke the rules of the game itself, thus infuriating the normal dark market participants and the neighbors like Texas. Bama, UGA, Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, etc., - they weren't ready at the same monetary levels.

-Meanwhile ATM is not only ignoring NIL, they're mocking it as fantasy compared to what they can do directly under the table when they talk to handlers/players/parents. They have therefore been totally blindsided by the size and scope of NIL across the recruiting landscape, and especially with Texas. Whoops.

-So everyone is running them over in recruiting. Everyone is building NIL engines. All during the 2023 cycle. ATM is lost at sea, cursing the winds.

-Then Saban baits the little man into public controversy. Fisher takes the bait. In doing so, he painted himself into a corner by staunchly denying using NIL ever, and relying on the wonderment of College Station as to why they signed the 2022 class. 

-The ATM backers were somewhat fatigued on cash outlays after the 2022 class signed. ATM fell behind in recruiting. Fisher sells the backers on Hill being the silver bullet for winning a national title. They load up specifically on offers for a few players that no one could reasonably match. Hicks and Hill being the main examples. They lock them up in July/August.

-The mercenary program then flops magnificently. Transfers became the talk on the team. Hill visits in November and his future teammates tell him to not go there and that a bunch of them are leaving.

-Texas keeps pushing. NIL is indeed a part of the pitch, but not at the absolute absurd level as ATM.

-The ATM pitch now is that they've weeded out the problems. They're one big happy family. And Hill holds the key to their title hunt in 2023 if he'd just fucking sign on the dotted line and take their money, dammit. 

I read the whole thread. Reading about Aggies flailing is pretty entertaining.  

I posted in response to an Aggie response regarding Hill that appears to have been made within the last couple of days, so I was more focused on the factors at the moment in that recruitment, rather than the Aggie CF as a whole.

Yeah, it’s hard to do justice to the Aggie mindset, or even this subset of it, in bullet points. I suspect there are still some players willing to follow the FedEx model but it shouldn’t be surprising that this isn’t necessarily the most dependable route to building a team. 

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's not plausible to ask some of you guys who haven't been on this board the whole time to go back and read threads from the beginning, but it's also difficult to capture everything regarding the ATM situation in quick bullets and still do it justice. I'll do my best, but I also recommend reading the June-July pages for this thread, the ATM 2023 thread and the Texas 2023 thread if you want some additional context that is also entertaining.

-ATM boosters went all-in with Fisher after what they viewed as confirmation of his future prowess - the 2020 corona season. We foretold of this to the board in the UT 2022 thread in Jan/Feb of 21. 

-ATM bought the bestest class ever after 8 and 4feit for the 2022 cycle.

-They went so far overboard with their bag game that they broke the rules of the game itself, thus infuriating the normal dark market participants and the neighbors like Texas. Bama, UGA, Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, etc., - they weren't ready at the same monetary levels.

-Meanwhile ATM is not only ignoring NIL, they're mocking it as fantasy compared to what they can do directly under the table when they talk to handlers/players/parents. They have therefore been totally blindsided by the size and scope of NIL across the recruiting landscape, and especially with Texas. Whoops.

-So everyone is running them over in recruiting. Everyone is building NIL engines. All during the 2023 cycle. ATM is lost at sea, cursing the winds.

-Then Saban baits the little man into public controversy. Fisher takes the bait. In doing so, he painted himself into a corner by staunchly denying using NIL ever, and relying on the wonderment of College Station as to why they signed the 2022 class. 

-The ATM backers were somewhat fatigued on cash outlays after the 2022 class signed. ATM fell behind in recruiting. Fisher sells the backers on Hill being the silver bullet for winning a national title. They load up specifically on offers for a few players that no one could reasonably match. Hicks and Hill being the main examples. They lock them up in July/August.

-The mercenary program then flops magnificently. Transfers became the talk on the team. Hill visits in November and his future teammates tell him to not go there and that a bunch of them are leaving.

-Texas keeps pushing. NIL is indeed a part of the pitch, but not at the absolute absurd level as ATM.

-The ATM pitch now is that they've weeded out the problems. They're one big happy family. And Hill holds the key to their title hunt in 2023 if he'd just fucking sign on the dotted line and take their money, dammit. 

The notion that Fisher is still trying to sell a title hunt in 2023 is absolutely laughable. They still have quality front line players, but I will be waiting with baited breath for the practice reports during the first week of full contact practices of fall camp. There are ALWAYS injuries to the starters that week, and often a season ender or two. See Junior Angilau. Once they lose a few players from that front line group throughout the first half of the season, the fall off is going to be Luke Brockermeyer bad. The ceiling for this team next season is... *checks notes* 8 and 4. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The notion that Fisher is still trying to sell a title hunt in 2023 is absolutely laughable. They still have quality front line players, but I will be waiting with baited breath for the practice reports during the first week of full contact practices of fall camp. There are ALWAYS injuries to the starters that week, and often a season ender or two. See Junior Angilau. Once they lose a few players from that front line group throughout the first half of the season, the fall off is going to be Luke Brockermeyer bad. The ceiling for this team next season is... *checks notes* 8 and 4. 

Honestly think the fall off will be worse than Brockermeyer, esp at LB.  They have zero bodies.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Meanwhile ATM is not only ignoring NIL, they're mocking it as fantasy compared to what they can do directly under the table when they talk to handlers/players/parents. They have therefore been totally blindsided by the size and scope of NIL across the recruiting landscape, and especially with Texas. Whoops.

I posted this a few months back but this is true in several sports. For those that don't follow recruiting closely in track and field, Floreal is mopping the floor with aggy in recruiting/transfer portal/getting athletes to return instead of going pro in large part because of NIL. 

When I saw what happened in track and field I knew aggy wasn't taking NIL seriously. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In reference to the track and field post above, these morons still haven't figured out what a fully operational NIL program can do. https://texags.com/forums/10/topics/3296837/0

Spoiler

I have zero clue how Floreal keeps these pro prospects coming back year after year! Money has to be involved, there's no way! These girls are pro runners but keep running competitively and in a weak conference! It makes zero sense! Our top girls always seem to go pro so we at least have that!

I had to read that part several times before I caught his meaning. English hard for Elmer.

I also noted this from that same post.

image.png.6d792b433932e6f4439d95eef63683b9.png

I think this fellow should let others make sense. Sure, there's word out there that A&M is going to rake in all the studs from the portal. It's the only explanation for attrition!

Or maybe players hate playing for A&M.

• texifornia changed the title to Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread