Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

texifornia

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

On the other hand, he’s always going to function as a buffer between the fans and the AD, obfuscating and exaggerating feedback and issues, never fully allowing anyone to really understand where anything stands until it is too late. 

The thing is, I think this is just aggy. They live in their own reality. They don't want somebody to feed them the truth and would rather continue to have false hope. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

So much this.  The aggy $9.95ers are actually pretty tame considering the audience they serve.  If anything, there’s a market opening for someone to just unabashedly publish truly batshit propaganda and steal their subscribers. 

Hamm filled that role until he imploded his life being, as you said, "batshit" in everything he did. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I want this aggy misery to go forever.  No matter how big that buyout, they’ll find a way to make it happen if this gets bad enough.  For that reason I’d love to see them win just enough games that they can’t justify it.  I don’t know what that number is.

If Weigman looks promising enough maybe they keep Jimbo even with a terrible record just based on hope.

Edited by Lhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, ajax said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what the "worst Bama team in the Saban era" is going to do to aggy on Oct 7.

Same here. After all aggy parroting Sabans finished, they're way down this year, their talent level is way down etc etc, can't wait to see how that ages when Bama hangs 50 ir 60 points on them.

Spin that aggots.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I want this aggy misery to go forever.  No matter how big that buyout, they’ll find a way to make it happen if this gets bad enough.  For that reason I’d love to see them win just enough games that they can’t justify it.  I don’t know what that number is.

If Weigman looks promising enough maybe they keep Jimbo even with a terrible record just based on hope.

Their very own Shaka Smart debacle. Just way more expensive and causing way more angst for way more fans. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I've come to realize that if The University of Texas did not exist....aggy would still have called themselves Texas A&M aggys, and would still only have 1/3 of the PUF funds, plus, they still would not be the flagship university of Texas...with no encumbrances....they would still be the aggy we know and love today....its their destiny!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

So much this.  The aggy $9.95ers are actually pretty tame considering the audience they serve.  If anything, there’s a market opening for someone to just unabashedly publish truly batshit propaganda and steal their subscribers. 

Shark Tank Writing GIF

Edited by Deej

50 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Same here. After all aggy parroting Sabans finished, they're way down this year, their talent level is way down etc etc, can't wait to see how that ages when Bama hangs 50 ir 60 points on them.

Spin that aggots.

They didn't have the good fortune of facing Milroe. Duh!

• Haha 1

Yep. They’ll get smoked by Buchner and this will be their out.
I’m starting to understand them. As long as they have 1 illogical excuse to hang their hats on, it’ll get them to next year. 
Next year they will be properly prepared for Bama having a competent QB.

Oh, and before I forget..free beer at the Chicken tomorrow!

He’s for sure got another year since they are zeroing in their hate on durkin.. kings like last year they will convince themselves to let the ceo get another defensive boss
  • Hook 'Em 3

"His third year was a top-five finish, an Orange Bowl championship and a legitimate argument to be in the playoff."

I guess you can technically use that term, but for Aggie it seems a bit Freudian. Most people just say "Orange Bowl win" or "Orange Bowl victory."

Did Jimbo get another home-made plaque for that "championship?"

• Haha 1

He’s for sure got another year since they are zeroing in their hate on durkin.. kings like last year they will convince themselves to let the ceo get another defensive boss
Yes, they're all enamored with the Jimbobby offense but blame Durkin for not getting enough stops.

I mean, they aren't wrong about Durkin, but he's far from the only issue that program has.

10 hours ago, Rimbo said:

This little gem from just over two years ago, too.

Source didn't have the paragraphs right, so I tried to add 'em in where it looked like they should've been.

Thank you for finding this, first off. 

second, I just want to add that Olin IS a fucking idiot, and yes, if he is driving around in a Maserati in his shitty cookie cutter neighborhood full of 200k track homes, then yes, I’m also going to fucking call him a stupid fucking idiot. And that’s my fucking business. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve never quite figured out whether or not Liucci is more of an asset or a hindrance to that program. On the one hand, he functions as an extension of the AD and helps recruit players with impunity and was a big part of their bagman program. 

On the other hand, he’s always going to function as a buffer between the fans and the AD, obfuscating and exaggerating feedback and issues, never fully allowing anyone to really understand where anything stands until it is too late. 

I wouldn’t want somebody like that around Texas. I also don’t like true parasites like Ketchum and Chip Brown hanging around either. At least Texas has extensions actually helping them identify talent and issues with some transparency and honesty though. 

His “intelligence to content produced” ratio asymptotically approaches zero and he has the emotional stability of a 9 month old sitting in a poopy diaper.  Clear hindrance to A&M

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Duke might just keep paying the motherfucker. 

Agreed, Elko has plenty of money and making good money at Duke. He seems like a perfect fit at Duke because he's smart enough to know he's got a great thing going at a great place to live, no reason to chase dollars that he'll never spend.

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Agreed, Elko has plenty of money and making good money at Duke. He seems like a perfect fit at Duke because he's smart enough to know he's got a great thing going at a great place to live, no reason to chase dollars that he'll never spend.

Maybe, but I was referring to the fact that I believe Duke is committed to spending into their football program. Could be a perfect storm for all parties. 

1 hour ago, SimkinsMan said:

If they want Elko they had better fire Jimbo soon. I'm hearing he's at the top of the list for Michigan State.

I think that would be a great hire. 

45 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Duke seems like it will always be a stepping stone in football. Obviously the Research Triangle is far superior to East Lansing in every way, but it seems like way more can be done at MSU vs Duke. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think that would be a great hire. 

Duke seems like it will always be a stepping stone in football. Obviously the Research Triangle is far superior to East Lansing in every way, but it seems like way more can be done at MSU vs Duke. 

Yup - Dantonio but less of an asshole is a great fit at MSU, and he took them to the Playoff. (Michigan being down obviously helped a ton with that, but still)

23 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Traylor is a winner. Has won consistently everywhere he has been as a HC in HS and college so far. UTSA was a laughing stock before he arrived. Even in 2020 in his first season when he had to play 4 different QB's because of injuries he still won 7 games for the second time in school history.

Frank Harris has certainly helped but his ability to motivate and get guys to play above their heads is impressive. They were starting defensive tackles on the OL last year because of injuries and still won 11 games. He also has had several assistants hired away for P5 jobs which is a good sign.

He seems to have a good head of his shoulders so my guess is he knows it is about time to jump ship with Houston, Baylor and potentially some bigger Texas jobs about to come open. I'll be mildly surprised if he is coaching UTSA in Austin next season.

Definitely a good coach but he's now 1-2 with a banged up Harris this year. I don't think Traylor is near the slam-dunk type hire as some think. Maybe I'll change my mind with more evidence this year if Harris is out and UTSA stacks some wins. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

There were some mentions of kielman, yeah?  I’m sure losing to missourah is an immediate disqualifies for such an esteemed program like aggy. 

Klieman is 20-16 in the Big 12 and will likely only have 1 ranked season in 5 years at K-State. 

I would love if aggy hired him. 

• Haha 2

There were some mentions of kielman, yeah?  I’m sure losing to missourah is an immediate disqualifies for such an esteemed program like aggy. 
aggy is above hiring BDF coaches these days...which is why they'll also pass on Leipold and it will be glorious seeing who they manage to hire.

5 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Nah, his teams are usually tough, smart, and play hard. Aggy could do a lot worse. 

Out of all the names mentioned, Klieman is the weirdest fit. 

He has zero connection to Texas, his offensive approach doesn't seem like a great fit with Texas HS talent, he's never really been in a high-pressure cooker like aggy, and NIL/recruiting has never been a huge factor anywhere he's been so he's inexperienced on that front. On top of that, his resume at K-State is just OK. 

I personally think Kilieman would be an absolute disaster at aggy. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He has zero connection to Texas, his offensive approach doesn't seem like a great fit with Texas HS talent, he's never really been in a high-pressure cooker like aggy, and NIL/recruiting has never been a huge factor anywhere he's been so he's inexperienced on that front. On top of that, his resume at K-State is just OK. 

So no downside then… 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Were you expecting more than one B12 championship for a team with literally no donors and a bunch of 1-3*? 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, ousux said:

aggy is above hiring BDF coaches these days...which is why they'll also pass on Leipold and it will be glorious seeing who they manage to hire.

I might have read Leilold and fucked it up to kleiman. 

11 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Can’t see Deion wearing burgundy adidas shoes on the sideline. Prime don’t do burgundy!

Hook’em!!!

What are fsu’s colors again?  Garnet isn’t basically the same?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

3 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Were you expecting more than one B12 championship for a team with literally no donors and a bunch of 1-3*? 

No, but 1 good season merely proves it was an outlier year. 

The other years in the Big 12. 5-4, 4-5, 4-5, and I bet around that same range this season. The "hey we coached up a bunch of 1 to 3 stars really good this 1 season" isn't very persuasive to me. 

27 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

No, but 1 good season merely proves it was an outlier year. 

The other years in the Big 12. 5-4, 4-5, 4-5, and I bet around that same range this season. The "hey we coached up a bunch of 1 to 3 stars really good this 1 season" isn't very persuasive to me. 

Yea, that's totally all the success that he's a head coach. He wasn't like 69-6 at North Dakota St. Who gives a shit what conference it is, you have to be a good coach to have a winning percentage like that, period. 

And he's gone 8-5 twice along with 10-4 last year. He's had 1 "bad" year out of 4. I'd say he has exceeded expectations at K St for anyone that doesn't have a stadium named after them. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

4 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

He wasn't like 69-6 at North Dakota St.

Winning at North Dakota State doesn't mean you're a top-tier level coach at this level. Bohl was 104-32 at North Dakota State and is now 54-56 at Wyoming. 

So far, Kleiman has 1 good season at this level and it's probably going to be 1 good season out of 5 the way this year is trending. I don't think he's a bad coach but I don't get the fit at all combined with his resume at K-State. 

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Winning at North Dakota State doesn't mean you're a top-tier level coach at this level. Bohl was 104-32 at North Dakota State and is now 54-56 at Wyoming. 

So far, Kleiman has 1 good season at this level and it's probably going to be 1 good season out of 5 the way this year is trending. I don't think he's a bad coach but I don't get the fit at all combined with his resume at K-State. 

To be fair, Wyoming and K-State are tough jobs. There's a reason they keep getting extensions.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Let me breakdown the usual qualities of his teams and how that relates to coaching at aggy:

1. His teams play tough and hard almost every game. Who's the last aggy coach that got their team to consistently play hard all season regardless of the result? Rumlin's first year? 

2. His teams play smart and typically don't beat themselves. No additional comment needed.

3. His teams usually have a pretty good defense and special teams. Outside of the Elko years, aggy hasn't done that. 

4. He appears to not be a piece of shit himself, or with his hires. No additional comment needed.

5. His players don't hate him. No additional comment needed.

Like I said, aggy could do a lot worse than him. I'd much rather they do their usual money whip of some proven coach with high expectations and then fall flat on their faces thing. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Hook 'Em 3

I’d say anybody other than Deion or Elko would be a win for us. Deion for the unstoppable, unceasing hype train and Elko for extreme competence. 

I work and socialize with quite a few aggys and they haven’t really put a name forward. Drinking until they pass out and hope it gets better seems to be the current plan. 

2 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

The margin for error is so small at these schools.  Count me as a guy who thinks Klieman is a very good coach.  

Klieman is a good coach, but there is a real ceiling for a number of coaches in terms of how big of a program they can effectively lead. Traylor and Kliemann both would be taking monster steps up, and that doesn't always work out.