Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

Is it me or is the suggestion that the University of Texas (or anyone) is paying teenagers $100k apiece not to go swimming at an apartment complex in College Station completely fucking batshit crazy?

It is entirely possible that I am naive about this stuff, but this doesn’t seem like a way that any reasonable person would choose to spend money. It’s short-sighted, unsustainable, and the value for what you’re getting with that money doesn’t seem to be remotely worth the cost. I don’t care how much money someone has, they generally want value in return commensurate with what they are spending; value is relative, but I can’t see how this checks that box. Maybe I’m the dummy.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Is it me or is the suggestion that the University of Texas (or anyone) is paying teenagers $100k apiece not to go swimming at an apartment complex in College Station completely fucking batshit crazy?

It is entirely possible that I am naive about this stuff, but this doesn’t seem like a way that any reasonable person would choose to spend money. It’s short-sighted, unsustainable, and the value for what you’re getting with that money doesn’t seem to be remotely worth the cost. I don’t care how much money someone has, they generally want value in return commensurate with what they are spending; value is relative, but I can’t see how this checks that box. Maybe I’m the dummy.

It's batshit crazy. We're lightyears ahead of other schools, and let me tell you, getting money donated to a legit enterprise is beyond frustrating. My life at times the past 12 months has looked like a perpetual recreation of The Scream. There is no money to pay these kids, illegally, to not visit. There wasn't even an appetite to pay kids like that in the fucking bag game. 

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Makes about as much sense as how we were allegedly paying off players with F250s and bass boats (things aggys think are the greatest but probably not young folks).  Those rubes will believe/can talk themselves into an...y...thing...

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

They have such an inflated view of how we see our $9.95ers based on how highly they think of theirs. Most of the regulars on the recruiting board also think Nahlin, Wells, and Gerry can be overconfident.

Nahlin definitely pushes his chips in when he feels strongly, but it's not like he gives a list of must get recruits in the cycle and half of them are committed to Texas 3 weeks later, or goes 0 for 16 in predicting class commits.  

1 minute ago, El Compadre said:

So who's that super secret recruit that is supposedly showing up to their ol' waterin' hole?

It's @South Austin's mom.  Which would potentially be a boon for them except she's going to wear a Karen Key Largo mask the entire weekend. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 3

Props to the 12th man foundation for putting more thought and consideration into reporting who's going to a pool party at some apartment complex than their entire university ever put into a 5 story bonfire before they slaughtered 11 students.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol yea, my family has 300 acres (inherited mind you, not 1%) on that map. Water front. Poor us so close to that cesspool 😩😩😩

Dad??? I didn't know you were on this site too! Been meaning to ask - Did you ever get around to changing your will to cancel out that sibling of mine who keeps badmouthing you and ratting you out to your manager, as you had promised?

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Dad??? I didn't know you were on this site too! Been meaning to ask - Did you ever get around to changing your will to cancel out that sibling of mine who keeps badmouthing you and ratting you out to your manager, as you had promised?

There's a building hiding in plane sight in Austin that houses people who can make that problem disappear. 

49 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Not to underestimate their just about literal penis envy, the building circled below is called Rudder Tower. I believe it was their response to Texas having a tower that's actually a tower.

image.png.9870d3c0e327a3044f518dfa75e6213d.png

That's actually their oceanography and meteorology building....

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

That's actually their oceanography and meteorology building....

Easy mistake considering the drab uniformity of their architecture. Here is fabulously towering Rudder Tower.

spacer.png

Thanks for correcting my error. I just assumed the tallest ugly building in the picture was the tower.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Easy mistake considering the drab uniformity of their architecture. Here is fabulously towering Rudder Tower.

spacer.png

Thanks for correcting my error. I just assumed the tallest ugly building in the picture was the tower.

No problem. It all defected from the communist block in the mid 70s

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

ah yes my wheelhouse, architecture

Engineering campus was always shit at Texas, drove Larry Speck nuts. Things are a changing though, building I did some work on - EERC.

11_ennead_jacobs_eerc_university_texas_f

09_ennead_jacobs_eerc_university_texas_f

TAMU's response, they rewrapped this around their existing engineering building

factors-to-consider-new-buildings12.jpg

zach-building-23Aug2018.jpg

TAMU Galveston has some newer buildings that look better than anything I've seen in Collie station

GLP_TAMUG_081418-30.jpg

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

Engineering campus was always shit at Texas, drove Larry Speck nuts. Things are a changing though, building I did some work on - EERC.

Ya don't say.  This was the architectural marvel where I attended classes and labs during my four years on the Forty.

a799a658583351dc8b0f724fed6dd048cb4ca74c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Did that thing get built around the time jester and RLM were built?

6 years before Jester, about a decade before RLM.  

It was called "ENS" for Engineering Sciences, it was the EE building.  It actually might have had just a tiny bit of mid-century charm if it weren't executed so poorly.

On 7/26/2022 at 11:57 PM, jimmyjazz said:

They prefer Occ8&4's Razor.

Fixed it for you.  BTW, thanks to all of you who wade through all those messages to post these gems.  All fanbases have their morons but it's rare to find a fanbase where abject stupidity is the celebrated norm...

• texifornia changed the title to Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread