Tell me what's happening in Afganistan (no CR. Can't we all just get along?)

Parliament

57 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

a few mortars on the runway and its basically only helo's from here on out.

I'm actually shocked they have not done this already. Granted, I've never shot a mortar, but it seems like one could like up and just shoot two or three down the runway and some would hit, and everything is done.

Edited by Harrison Bergeron

14 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Are you saying this has already happened?  Or if it does, then it's only helo's. And where would they  fly to?  Seems like it'd be a long distance to anywhere friendly.

no it hasn't happened I'm saying it could and that would be the result, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Are you saying this has already happened?  Or if it does, then it's only helo's. And where would they  fly to?  Seems like it'd be a long distance to anywhere friendly.

good question on where they would fly to, maybe some NA controlled territory?  not sure how far particular helo's can go.  

my guess is we have aircraft flying that can spot a potential mortar attack.  Maybe Inka or Miller can help shine a light.

5 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I'm actually shocked they have not done this already. Granted, I've never shot a mortar, but it seems like one could like up and just shoot two or three down the runway and some would hit, and everything is done.

Oh they're getting it all set up now......

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Yep, confirming from what I posted this morning, it's now complete chaos and apparently the US has begun its final withdrawal:

AAnd, as expected, the isis presence at the airport has grown exponentially:

Have seen her posts.  Anyone corroborating them?  

9 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Have seen her posts.  Anyone corroborating them?  

The quote that "almost certainly Americans will be left behind" has been reported in numerous sources even from yesterday.  The drawdown quote was from a U.S. intelligence source that's proven reliable the past 48 hours.  As with this hellish, chaotic situation, things could change, but so far pretty much all reporting from there has proven out in one way or another.

She also posted this denial from U.S. diplomatic sources:

... but apparently that was negated by the previous post of what her source told her.  Since Canada has essentially begun their pullout, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that the U.S. has.  However, that doesn't mean it's not on schedule before these incidents.  Listening to reporting about whether the bomb attacks have sped up withdrawal, people are speculating yes, but nothing official is reported on that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

The quote that "almost certainly Americans will be left behind" has been reported in numerous sources even from yesterday.  The drawdown quote was from a U.S. intelligence source that's proven reliable the past 48 hours.  As with this hellish, chaotic situation, things could change, but so far pretty much all reporting from there has proven out in one way or another.

She also posted this denial from U.S. diplomatic sources:

... but apparently that was negated by the previous post of what her source told her.  Since Canada has essentially begun their pullout, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that the U.S. has.  However, that doesn't mean it's not on schedule before these incidents.  Listening to reporting about whether the bomb attacks have sped up withdrawal, people are speculating yes, but nothing official is reported on that.

Any corroboration on the report of "hundreds" of ISIS fighters around the airport?  I'm not seeing anything like that anywhere else.

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m extremely intrigued how we knew there was going to be a suicide attack a day before it happens. I’m guessing we monitor all cell phone and radio transmissions. I wonder if it was technology or good old fashioned CIA assets 

It is possible Taliban told us but IMO, they don't really care because they certainly don't mind the optics that they 'drove us out'.

Its gonna get blamed on ISIS and it likely is.

Its gonna have to get really really ugly.  like 100's of americans getting killed because we can't dump more troops in not knowing if we are fighting ISIS, Taliban or both.

• Like 1

Yes, ISIS is a murderous Sunni fundamentalist terror group that believes in instituting Sharia law in an authoritarian society. 

And the Taliban is a murderous Sunni fundamentalist terror group that believes in instituting Sharia law in an authoritarian society. 

yes, they don’t get along. No, there’s not a dime’s worth of difference between them. 

also, there are maybe low four digit US citizens there, but there are perhaps five digit numbers of US green card holders that the Afghans do not plan on allowing to leave (and to kill a bunch of them). The US government is  not committed to protecting them or bringing them out (unless bad optics motivate it). 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m extremely intrigued how we knew there was going to be a suicide attack a day before it happens. I’m guessing we monitor all cell phone and radio transmissions. I wonder if it was technology or good old fashioned CIA assets 

the bomber started posting about signs of hopelessness and started giving away personal possessions.  You'd be amazed what the CIA picks up on inside nextdoor/facebook trading groups.  

7 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

And it's beginning to trend all over the news that indeed this has caused the U.S to essentially begin shutting down there attempted evacuation of Americans right now. This is from Liz Sly of the Washington Post:

IMO, the logical next step is the hostage situation unfortunately.  will see how much Talibs hate ISIS soon.

I keep thinking about my senior prom date…he was killed in Afghanistan. He was a Staff Sgt with the Army. His dad was in the Marines for 24 years. His dad told me that many of the enlisted men referred to his son as a “mud soldier.” All of this is so gut wrenching. Heart just aches for many right now. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Shit.... @CHIEF, you had a neighbor whose Marine son was shipping out the other day.  Here's hoping that he is okay.  But dammit, someone's kids aren't, and that's just shit.

We saw a picture on CNN the other day. It was a Marine giving fist bumps to some Afghan kids. They were by a wall. Not sure if it was inside or outside the airport, but we are about 90% sure it was him. He is also a "door kicker". We are all just praying and waiting on a phone call.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

We saw a picture on CNN the other day. It was a Marine giving fist bumps to some Afghan kids. They were by a wall. Not sure if it was inside or outside the airport, but we are about 90% sure it was him. He is also a "door kicker". We are all just praying and waiting on a phone call.

CHIEF

Amen, brother.  Amen.

• Hook 'Em 2

That sounds like more than 4. Really one is too many. Gut wrenching. I’ve thought about my friend (senior prom date) over the years and wondered what his life would have been like had he not been killed over there. I can’t imagine what his family must be thinking watching all of the news this past week. 

@CHIEF praying your neighbor’s son is ok. 💛

C88440A6-932F-4267-BBFF-18FE0CD39E98.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Looks like we finally found a situation where the STOVL version of the F-35 might be beneficial?

They were using half the width of the Bagram runway for a long time so they could repair the other side, and then reverse roles. Probably not something you’d want to try with the civil reserve fleet, but I’m sure the C17 and Herc drivers would find it pretty run of the mill.

Also, Bagram is a hop, skip and a jump away buy plane. i would think taking small turbine aircraft and VTOL options if necessary to that facility could be an option, and then let the heavies operate out of there.  No crowds, large fields of fire and all the equipment to run an airbase is assuredly still sitting there. Sweep the surrounding area with apaches etc until a force capable of defending the perimeter could be moved in