2021 Houston Texans Ain't Shit Season Thread

Brothahorn

9 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I'm cool with Lovie and honestly didn't understand why he wasn't considered from the outset.

He wasn't. My bet is this is a panic move. Flores double-fucked them by making himself too radioactive with the other owners while also making it politically impossible to hire McCown, and they were lucky enough to have an eminently qualified Black coach already on the sidelines. He is a Christian, too, though not really the sort this organization seems to prefer. (Black country Baptist vs White suburban megachurch.)

I guess Flores decided that either he knew they were passing on him, or maybe if that wasn't the case, that destroying his career was preferable to coaching here. Surely he had to think he would get a second chance in the next go-round of hirings and firings though, right?  By most accounts, he is a different type of dude so maybe he fifures he's set for life monetarily (or knows he could get a college job) and wants to act on principle. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

He wasn't. My bet is this is a panic move. Flores double-fucked them by making himself too radioactive with the other owners while also making it politically impossible to hire McCown, and they were lucky enough to have an eminently qualified Black coach already on the sidelines. He is a Christian, too, though not really the sort this organization seems to prefer. (Black country Baptist vs White suburban megachurch.)

Pretty much this.  The Texans have an optics problem, which don't seem to matter much to them as a front for being a wannabe evangelical megachurch inside NRG, but they're probably feeling more pressure after firing Culley after one season and seriously pursuing McCown.  Lovie is the beneficiary of being in the building, being black and having HC experience - they can just bring on their true #1 (McCown) as a coach to earn his stripes for his eventual hiring. 

• Hook 'Em 3

They so very clearly want mccown. So much so that they're willing to waste another year with a puppet coach. But this time, mccown will be QBs coach or OC, so that when they inevitably shitcan Lovie they can just conveniently make him interim, then "love the job he's doing" and keep him in that spot. God, it's all so predictable.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think they reall did consider him. Just a sham interview during the process to hire mccown but things blew up on them.

I’m sure they wish they had hired mccown on day one before things unfolded

It’s obvious what their plan is. At least culley got paid well. Hopefully Lovie does as well. He could really bend them over if he wants

39 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

One of the interesting things about Flores is his cultural background. He is the child of Garifuna immigrants from Central America. Their history is fascinating -- way back around 1720 their ancestors survived the wreck of their Spanish slave ship on St. Vincent, killed the Spanish crew, and headed for the hills, where they intermarried with the Carib and Arawak peoples. The Brits steamed in to St Vincent about 20 years later and the Garifuna fought them to a standstill -- they were the first native peoples to force a colonizing power to sign a treaty....Which neither side stuck to, and around 1800 the Brits exiled most of the Garifuna to the shores of Belize, and today they live there and down into Hounduras and Nicaragua. Their native language is a composite of Arawak / Carib, Spanish and English. Most of them share Flores's dark skin tone but genetically they are very native too. Their music is very African-sounding....

In Central America they've played a role something like the Kurds -- a stateless people alternately attacked or used as mercenaries in that region's many wars. (Except in Belize.) New York has the largest colony but there is a substantial one in Houston as well; here, they first came as stowaways via the Ship Channel and settled in the nearby Fifth Ward. A Fifth Ward friend of mine told me they stand out for preferring soccer over basketball; cigars and rum over Newports and beer; and reggaeton over hip hop and R&B.

In more recent years a more middle class contingent of Garifina as arrived in America including a HS buddy of mine who is also a Texas Ex. He came to America at about eight but he keeps his culture alive with his cooking, music (jamming out in his garage with those African sounding drums with friends and family), and frequent trips home. He doesn't speak Garifuna, as his parents were city folk when they came to Houston, but in Belize most of them speak English as either their first or second language. Back in HS we knew he was from Belize but he didn't really talk at all about being Garifuna. That came after we grew up. 

About a year ago we had lunch from this food truck in Houston and he told me about all this stuff. I knew only their music:

Sazón Garifuna - Brays Oaks Management District

Point is Flores was raised with a different mindset. He as spoken out against police violence / trigger happiness: "I've lived this," he said, recalling that he'd personally had NYPD cops point weapons at him based on nothing more than suspicion. In the aftermath of George Floyd's murder, he released this statement: 

Frankly given that sort of outspokenness I am surprised an organization like the Texans ever considered him at all. 

OK - this was fascinating.  Thanks for this.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I think it's hilarious that an actual professional sports team was on the verge of hiring a guy who's only coaching experience is as an assistant high school coach?

What a world.

Hey now, he's a 42 year old with 18 years of experience of being on an NFL sideline with a clipboard.  You can't tell me the Cardinals, Lions, Raiders, Dolphins, Panthers, Hartford Colonials, 49ers, Bears, Bucs, Browns, Jets, Eagles, and Texans all got it wrong, can you?  He probably knows the best cheap breakfast joint in every NFL city in the country!  You can't let a prospect like that go.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

Because he’s a 63 year old retread. He’s not a bad hire, just a meh hire. More treading water for the foreseeable future. 

Agreed.  I think Lovie's a good guy, a good coordinator, and a mediocre head coach.

This isn't the move you make if you're serious about getting better.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Agreed.  I think Lovie's a good guy, a good coordinator, and a mediocre head coach.

This isn't the move you make if you're serious about getting better.

I can't imagine what might've made you think the Texans are serious about getting better. 

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Gourmand said:

I'm cool with Lovie and honestly didn't understand why he wasn't considered from the outset.

I am also fine with Lovie Smith, he is a good man. Don't wish this train wreck on him, but the Texans are kinda setting themselves up for a shitstorm should they fire 2 AA after 1 season. Hopefully with that power Smith can build some real culture in the football side of things away from the two dumbasses trying to sabotage everything. Also, I hope he tells the GM to stay the fuck off the headsets during games.

This team needs to be rebuilt.  I’m okay having a guy like Lovie take it on. They’ll be a .500 team for a few years. Lovie will be forced to retire and then they’ll go out to find their McVay, Kingsbury, Shanahan type hire.  

Personally, I wanted Flores, because I think Miami fucked up in firing him and he could do some good things with this team.

So we're hiring a guy who's coached in the NFL 1 of the last 6 years (last year)....who is a couple years from retiring, who was an assistant for the guy that overachieved that they fired after 1 year. Got it.

I'm assuming that he is the best hire willing to actually come to the Texans (not leave) and not the best actual candidate?

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Lovie to HC, Pep Hamilton as OC, McCown to QB Coach.  

Not gonna win much with this roster, but I could live with this.

Given how hell-bent the org is on getting McCown into the coaching ranks, this seems like the least fucked-up arrangement possible. All 3 of these guys are respected by players, just makes you wonder why in the hell they didnt do this last year instead of wasting time with Culley…

• Hook 'Em 1

I am also fine with Lovie Smith, he is a good man. Don't wish this train wreck on him, but the Texans are kinda setting themselves up for a shitstorm should they fire 2 AA after 1 season. Hopefully with that power Smith can build some real culture in the football side of things away from the two dumbasses trying to sabotage everything. Also, I hope he tells the GM to stay the fuck off the headsets during games.
Then they can counter with the fact they lead the league in black HCs. If you count Romeo's interim, that's 3 straight.

There is not another team in the league as committed to diversity!

• Rage+1 1

I know cal is a idiot but how can anyone as a owner be ok with Jack and nick calling down to hc for play calling. Nothing will change until cal is gone. Completely doesn't care about product on the field or public perception of the front office.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, bejezuz said:

Hey now, he's a 42 year old with 18 years of experience of being on an NFL sideline with a clipboard.  You can't tell me the Cardinals, Lions, Raiders, Dolphins, Panthers, Hartford Colonials, 49ers, Bears, Bucs, Browns, Jets, Eagles, and Texans all got it wrong, can you?  He probably knows the best cheap breakfast joint in every NFL city in the country!  You can't let a prospect like that go.  

So he’s got a clipboard and diarrhea. That’s Texans material my friend 

8 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

One of the interesting things about Flores is his cultural background. He is the child of Garifuna immigrants from Central America. Their history is fascinating -- way back around 1720 their ancestors survived the wreck of their Spanish slave ship on St. Vincent, killed the Spanish crew, and headed for the hills, where they intermarried with the Carib and Arawak peoples. The Brits steamed in to St Vincent about 20 years later and the Garifuna fought them to a standstill -- they were the first native peoples to force a colonizing power to sign a treaty....Which neither side stuck to, and around 1800 the Brits exiled most of the Garifuna to the shores of Belize, and today they live there and down into Hounduras and Nicaragua. Their native language is a composite of Arawak / Carib, Spanish and English. Most of them share Flores's dark skin tone but genetically they are very native too. Their music is very African-sounding....

In Central America they've played a role something like the Kurds -- a stateless people alternately attacked or used as mercenaries in that region's many wars. (Except in Belize.) New York has the largest colony but there is a substantial one in Houston as well; here, they first came as stowaways via the Ship Channel and settled in the nearby Fifth Ward. A Fifth Ward friend of mine told me they stand out for preferring soccer over basketball; cigars and rum over Newports and beer; and reggaeton over hip hop and R&B.

In more recent years a more middle class contingent of Garifina as arrived in America including a HS buddy of mine who is also a Texas Ex. He came to America at about eight but he keeps his culture alive with his cooking, music (jamming out in his garage with those African sounding drums with friends and family), and frequent trips home. He doesn't speak Garifuna, as his parents were city folk when they came to Houston, but in Belize most of them speak English as either their first or second language. Back in HS we knew he was from Belize but he didn't really talk at all about being Garifuna. That came after we grew up. 

About a year ago we had lunch from this food truck in Houston and he told me about all this stuff. I knew only their music:

Sazón Garifuna - Brays Oaks Management District

Point is Flores was raised with a different mindset. He as spoken out against police violence / trigger happiness: "I've lived this," he said, recalling that he'd personally had NYPD cops point weapons at him based on nothing more than suspicion. In the aftermath of George Floyd's murder, he released this statement: 

Frankly given that sort of outspokenness I am surprised an organization like the Texans ever considered him at all. 

elwood-and-jake-were-on-a-mission-from-god.gif

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Why the fuck are you regards Texans fans?

Likely the same reason the Cowboys still have fans. In the 20 seasons since the Texans joined the NFL, the Cowboys have averaged 1.85 wins more per season, but have 1 less playoff win. Neither team has played in the conference championship game.

• Like 1