College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

Last 10 years Baylor has been a better basketball program and more successful than Kentucky. Drew's got a championship already (at Baylor), I'm really not surprised he's staying. Pressure/outside noise at Kentucky not worse a couple extra million a year in a more difficult environment.

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Apparently, you were right and I was wrong. I didn't think he'd be able to pass up the bucks.

More and more coaches seem to be passing up on the highest dollar when it comes with a whole bunch of bullshit.

17 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Last 10 years Baylor has been a better basketball program and more successful than Kentucky. Drew's got a championship already (at Baylor), I'm really not surprised he's staying. Pressure/outside noise at Kentucky not worse a couple extra million a year in a more difficult environment.

Make no mistake, Drew already had an extension in hand that will make him a top 3 paid coach in the land along with a huge NIL haul to go with it.  The extra 8-10% bump over and above that along with fans that will call a hole in the wall restaurant 1200 miles away to court their next coach just wasn’t worth the squeeze.  

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Drew already had an extension in hand that will make him a top 3 paid coach in the land along with a huge NIL haul to go with it.  

All at the expense of football. Unless Aranda pulls a miracle with a bunch of diamonds in the rough, Baylor football will be mid tier in the new B12. 

UK's athletics director is an idiot who hired two coaches (Billy Gillespie and Joker Phillips) that were complete disasters and would have gotten him fired anywhere else. He gave Calipari a lifetime contract and Arkansas bailed him out of that mistake.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John80 said:

UK's athletics director is an idiot who hired two coaches (Billy Gillespie and Joker Phillips) that were complete disasters and would have gotten him fired anywhere else. He gave Calipari a lifetime contract and Arkansas bailed him out of that mistake.

He also hired a stoops 

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

I’ve got better odds of being able to look down and see my pecker than Pope does of being UK HC. 

You guys are trying to literally eat one of your own here, but the guy can coach.  BYU was an absolute fucking headache under him.

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Damn, what’s going on in Kentucky? Two big time programs with weak hires considering their expectation and standards.

Guys who are already making generational wealth don’t see the point in making money they’ll never spend just for the privilege of dealing with psychotic fanbases.

• Hook 'Em 1

If the Mark Pope news is real, I guess they are going the same route as Duke and UNC by hiring a former player with some coaching experience. It's a bold strategy, cotton. Let's see if it works out for them. 

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You guys are trying to literally eat one of your own here, but the guy can coach.  BYU was an absolute fucking headache under him.

Yeah they were good and he'll have actual black players at UK, but it's wild that UK of all people is hiring a coach that has been a D1 HC for 9 seasons and has 0 NCAA wins to his name.

Well I'm fired up... 

This guys a bigger tool than PJ Fleck.

At least do it outside of a brick building in Provo nobody will recognize vs your old teams gym. He probably had his assistant inform the team via group text vs calling them in and telling them face to face.
  • Hook 'Em 2

UK boards melting  hard, lulz. Seeing aggy fans freak and getting the AD to revoke Stoops offer has their bourbon soaked brain cells working overtime. This shit is always amusing when its not your team. 

14 minutes ago, Blotto said:

UK boards melting  hard, lulz. Seeing aggy fans freak and getting the AD to revoke Stoops offer has their bourbon soaked brain cells working overtime. This shit is always amusing when its not your team. 

wat?

19 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Don’t forget the blue blood modifier and the insufferable fan bonus.  

I was at OSU, back when that meant something and tickets were hard to come by.  Walked into the old GIA as a clueless freshman in 98, left with my ears ringing and a holy shit face.  Damn I miss the old GIA.

So I have a bit of schadenfreude to see Kentucky sweat a bit (sorry Underdog)

Edited by Homercles