[Surly Official] Texas @ TCU Game Thread - 11am on ABC

Pancho

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Riley is gonna do way better at isolating our deficiencies on D.   given the TO's this should have been a 20 to 25 point blowout cruise win.  

I'm still in show me mode with Sark. we took a step back on O today with Casey, WR and OL.  

If you're saying OU might kick our ass, you might be right. Sark has to get his shit together. Way too much reliance on one player. Way too little  deception. Way to little outside attack. not nearly enough play action. I'd like to think Sark is saving that for OUsucks.

2 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Only one stat counts.  W, beaches.

This is how idiots think. This team couldn't hang with Georgia let alone Alabama. Wins the rest of the season get us embarrassed in the playoffs if we don't correct the mental mistakes we saw today that were enormous. Bijan saved us. Casey started to play hero ball with the drops and Sark reigned him in finished strong. We need to execute properly in the medium to long pass game or we get blown out against anyone that isn't dogshit big XII. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Riley is gonna do way better at isolating our deficiencies on D.   given the TO's this should have been a 20 to 25 point blowout cruise win.  

I'm still in show me mode with Sark. we took a step back on O today with Casey, WR and OL.  

The O didn't take a step back. It faced a much better defense. At least the team gritted it out and finished on the road. But yeah, OU is going to be the next level test. Lots to work on.

Just now, bullet said:

Also thought the should have used Roschon more near the goal line. Both because of his strength and to keep Robinson fresher for next week.  He looked tired the 4th quarter.

This. Also think the other Robinson should get more touches. Still, I'm excited about the future with Sark and co.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

If you're saying OU might kick our ass, you might be right. Sark has to get his shit together. Way too much reliance on one player. Way too little  deception. Way to little outside attack. not nearly enough play action. I'd like to think Sark is saving that for OUsucks.

Somebody said Sark's philosophy was to keep doing something until they stop it.

Just now, sith_horn said:

The O didn't take a step back. It faced a much better defense. At least the team gritted it out and finished on the road. But yeah, OU is going to be the next level test. Lots to work on.

We had 4 or 5 drops and 3 deep balls that Thompson missed.

Fix that and this game is completely different for the O.

• Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, bullet said:

I did think skipping the FG was a mistake.  Make that and you go to OT in worst case.  Sark was wondering about that after the game.

yep. take the points and let your D work.  He did the only thing that could potentially lose the game in regulation without having to convert a 2 pointer.

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is how idiots think. This team couldn't hang with Georgia let alone Alabama. Wins the rest of the season get us embarrassed in the playoffs if we don't correct the mental mistakes we saw today that were enormous. Bijan saved us. Casey started to play hero ball with the drops and Sark reigned him in finished strong. We need to execute properly in the medium to long pass game or we get blown out against anyone that isn't dogshit big XII. 

playoffs????.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

You're right.  Fuck it, I would rather lose than go to the playoffs.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

OU's defense isn't as good as TCU's, the Texas offense is going to roll them.  50+ points.

OU's offense versus our defense, on the other hand.... well, we could give up 50+ points.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Yeah fuck this.  We went into FW and won scoring 32 points.  Our last 9 against them were 2-7 averaging 18 points.  You forget there’s only like 2 receivers that can catch and one of em had a case of the drops today.  Sark found what worked and stuck to it, which is crazy to praise, but we haven’t seen that in 10 fucking years. 

TCU is fucking awful.  I'm still in show me mode.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, utee94 said:

OU's defense isn't as good as TCU's, the Texas offense is going to roll them.  50+ points.

OU's offense versus our defense, on the other hand.... well, we could give up 50+ points.

Sounds like a vintage Big 12 game then - 56-53 final 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Funny, but this game gave me a lot of confidence in Sark. He had to coach his ass off to get us that win.  I see him paying attention to details and getting angry over details that make or break games. He’s winning despite a lack of talent in almost every area. You can only do so much to overcome a crappy offensive line, a weak receiver room, and a new starting quarterback.

Outside of Not taking the field goal at the end, I like almost all of what I’m seeing out of our coaching.

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

If Tom Herman was still here we lose that game by 10 or more. Offense was bad in red zone, defense wasn’t that good except for turnovers, worthy dropped balls, Casey had a bad game but we still win by 5 and could/should have been 13 or more. We might still have another stumble or two but I like where we’re headed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I get what you’re saying, but saying “this team couldn’t hang with the second best team in the country, let alone the first”, is an odd way to make that point. Georgia is really fucking good, I don’t think the gap between them and Bama is all that big.

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean… didn’t Ricky save us a few times? This seems a bit of a lazy take. Sometimes the team goes mediocre and the best player balls out (bijan) and earns the legend status. Thems the breaks 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep. take the points and let your D work.  He did the only thing that could potentially lose the game in regulation without having to convert a 2 pointer.

Really he was letting the D work. The damn D can’t give up a 99 yard td drive there.

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

uh SMU put 42 points on TCU.  TCU's defense isn't good.

1 minute ago, bullet said:

Also thought the should have used Roschon more near the goal line. Both because of his strength and to keep Robinson fresher for next week.  He looked tired the 4th quarter.

Yeah, we had a lot of short yardage situations where I'd like to see us with Roschon in the wildcat and Bijan beside him.  Maybe have KR come across for jet sweep potential.  Have Wiley in there for a little short jump ball. 

Instead, we're just running all these straight-ahead handoffs, we're not giving the defense a single thing to defend except Bijan... We're just counting on good O-line play, and that's not a great bet for us.

... and yeah, I know he made a couple superhuman runs to get first downs and ice the game, but our performance in the last 6 or 8 short-yardage situations is kind of shitty given what we've got on the roster.  We could have easily scored anther 12-15 points by just converting a few red-zone 3rd and 1.

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Show me what? That he can win with an absolute dogshit OL, DL, and secondary? Dude was hired in fucking January cool your jets Turbo 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

I get what you’re saying, but saying “this team couldn’t hang with the second best team in the country, let alone the first”, is an odd way to make that point. Georgia is really fucking good, I don’t think the gap between them and Bama is all that big.

So you want to not win national championships?