House of the Dragon

crash_davis

Episode 5 was hit and miss with us. Finally in agreement with those of you that have thought it drags occasionally. We were rather bemused by Rhaenyra stealing Ser Christon's line (run away with me and be freeeeee) and using it on Uncle Daemon only to be ghosted by him when the wedding dance turns into a scrum. (what? Oh, that. I needed to see my attorney regarding an inheritance and to measure the castle for drapes).

The entrance with Queen Alicent was a nice touch, although I didn't think they needed to explain the color scheme in the scene (they mentioned this in their explanatory video after). It was obvious something was up, and the scene later with her 'house' explained it clearly enough without being hit over the head.

The King is going to limp along for awhile I believe (spoiler not book related) but it looks like some new characters are moving front and center besides the usual suspects.

Spoiler

On IMDB the actor is listed for all contracted episodes for the remainder of the season.

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

So wait - King’s Guard are supposed to be celibate like priests or something? Was that explained in GOT?  I guess Ser Criston had some serious anger issues about being rejected and took it out on Lanor’s bf. 

At least Viserys collapsed after bleeding out and we can get to the fighting. 

I hate to break it to you but if you watched the previews you'd know Viserys is still around next episode.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So wait - King’s Guard are supposed to be celibate like priests or something? Was that explained in GOT?  I guess Ser Criston had some serious anger issues about being rejected and took it out on Lanor’s bf. 

At least Viserys collapsed after bleeding out and we can get to the fighting. 

Yes, that’s why Tywin was pissed at Jamie for staying in the Kingsguard. He wanted Jamie to inherit and rule Casterly Rock. 

Kingsguard give up all inheritance and swear to never marry or bear children. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Horn80 said:

She seems like a casting miss.  
image.jpeg.bf3e4cf83bf4ef81bfdf79748efcb395.jpeg

She’s terrible. Looks wise, and an average actor. 

12 hours ago, Haphap said:

Not sure why Daemon passed on that.  Not blonde enough?

Fcj5clpXwAMNnJS.jpg

Better actress. Wholly unattractive. 

I liked the episode, probably my favorite so far.  I didn't understand the fight scene though.  It looked like some guards showed up on the perimeter of the room and then Criston just snapped and hit the prince and then started pounding his lover into hamburger?

Hey, cool! New characters! A new house? New storyline away from Kin'g Land--? Nevermind. 

The green dress late entrance shit just landed with a thud. I laughed when they cut to the two explainer dudes telling why the scene is supposed to be dramatic. Ooooh, green dress. Okay, got it.

Alicent suddenly on a warpath beggars belief. I mean, she did find out that her dad was wrong, and Rhaenyra wasn't outright lying. And she's that furious about Rhaenyra breaking her chastity vow or whatever? I'm not buying this sudden turn to Dark Alicent.

The ending was ridiculous, but kind of fun. This show is approaching mediocre, but will still be watchable if it turns into a primetime soap. 

Laenor during the ceremony:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

This is show is fine. Not great, but above average. Maybe barely above average. It drags way too much.  

Also, the youtube algo has been showing me scenes from GOT, and there's a scene with Joffrey and Margery that is a major spoiler for this show. King turd is recounting some of the history of Westeros. I had no idea at the time and didn't really pay much attention to those details because I didn't now who those historical characters were.  Anyway, thanks youtube.  

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I want the gimpy Littlefinger-lite guy to get his throat cut with the Valyrian dagger. Fuck Hightower. The Alicent turn is more about what her father said which is true. There's nothing to stop Rhaenyra from killing her son and other kids when the King dies. 

Along the same vein.  Listened to an analysis video talking about the succession question by Corlys.  Once Viserys /Rhaenyra are dead and passed the crown to the next heir.  Who will prevent that heir to actually use Velaryon when he/she ascends the throne.     King's word are meaningless once he is dead.  We seen that with Cersei ripping out Robert's last will

Of course we know that is not what happened because we still had a Targaryen King up until Robert's Rebellion. 

Edited by Haphap

31 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Alicent suddenly on a warpath beggars belief. I mean, she did find out that her dad was wrong, and Rhaenyra wasn't outright lying. And she's that furious about Rhaenyra breaking her chastity vow or whatever? I'm not buying this sudden turn to Dark Alicent.

25 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I want the gimpy Littlefinger-lite guy to get his throat cut with the Valyrian dagger. Fuck Hightower. The Alicent turn is more about what her father said which is true. There's nothing to stop Rhaenyra from killing her son and other kids when the King dies. 

My thoughts were similar mdmost--that Alicent's turn was not as speedy as one might think, and that her father's words brought it front and center. If several years have passed (between ep1 and the Targaryen/Valeryan wedding), then these two besties have been building to this with the underlying resentment/jealousy severing their relationship. Alicent chafes less against the patriarchy but it's not like she necessarily enjoys being obedient to its service. She observes Rhaenyra butting heads with everyone and (in Alicent's eyes) never really being punished for any of it. Maybe I'm off base, but she views it as a betrayal larger than just remaining 'pure,' but for everything upon which the House should stand. With her father's words, she seems to 'get' that those who hold the power/throne set the rules and those rules are malleable, double standards abound, and one's fortunes can change upon a whim, a death, an unlucky knick that turns septic.

Ser Criston had a similar awakening it seems when he realized that the ethics he held so dear were not so common as he thought. Life is messy.

I've defended Viserys for being soft because I have a daughter who is a whole mood too, but man, having your brother show up wedding crashing after you put a knife to him and say if you ever show up ill kill you or youll go to the dungeon etc. and you just get him a chair and let him eat off the good charcuterie boards? Then he goes and dances and gropes your daughter again. Viserys is the legendary King of Poons. Histories and songs will be written about how he is softer than whatever the Medieval's used for toilet paper.

Also, in that vein, hilarious how miscalculated Ser Gerard Butler was when he tried to angry whisper an accusation from the steps of the stage. Oh crap, this guy now owns Runestone and I'm the Knight of...er....Runestone. Well, you are now a dead man walking, dummy.

Green dress, late entrance, etc. was mega dumb. Alicent isn't hardcore, she's lame. Cristen is lame. Lame-footed, manipulating with the brain because he is physically disabled trope guy is lame. 

The only guy I like is the new hand, but only because he is articulate and seems to be the only one with a brain. He's like Tyrion but without being witty or clever or funny or interesting. Which now that I type this is a nice microcosm of the show versus GoT.

Edited by MeerkatBong
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

57 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Its almost like you have never communicated with a woman before- they hear what they want to hear, and ignore whatever they feel is irrelevant (even when that "whatever" is actually critically relevant)

WE know Rhaenyra didnt lie... she answered the question asked by stating that she did not sleep with Daemon, swore on it in fact.  

but Rhae also didnt tell her that she had fucked Sir Cris, nor did she swear that her maidenhood was intact....   

Alicent is the one who swore to the King that Rhaeynra had said her maidenhood was intact (because she misunderstood what was said to her).

So Alicent is pissed because she BELIEVES Rhae swore she was a virgin, so she was made to look a fool when defending her to the King, when in fact, all Rhae said was she didnt boink Daemon (although she tried- he couldnt).

• Hook 'Em 3

I was definitely confused by the fight....we see Daemon grabbing Rha and then there is a should and scuffle.  Daemon is gone...huh? why?

It had a Red Wedding feel at first, the way it showed one thing after another happening....Queen's green dress, Daemon, the fight, then the blood from King's nose...felt like a mutiny or shady attack plan was happening.  But nope...it was just another shitty wedding in Westeros.  

I walked off during part of the wedding and missed Joffrey talking to Cole...so I rewatched it.  Cole must have just lost it knowing Joffrey knew his secret.  The whole oath thing was already eating at Cole.  Queen will probably save him and he will be indebt to her forever. 

6 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

The only guy I like is the new hand, but only because he is articulate and seems to be the only one with a brain. He's like Tyrion but without being witty or clever or funny or interesting. 

One thing to note is that Lord Lyonel (the new Hand of the King) is also the father of Larys, the gimp-footed guy who told Alicent about the tea in the Godswood. Now, how would Larys know about that? Is he a maester in training (can't remember) and saw it getting brewed up or did his dad tell him? Lyonel, who up to this moment has seemed like a straight up dude giving good advice, might be doing some scheming himself.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, bolverk said:

One thing to note is that Lord Lyonel (the new Hand of the King) is also the father of Larys, the gimp-footed guy who told Alicent about the tea in the Godswood. Now, how would Larys know about that? Is he a maester in training (can't remember) and saw it getting brewed up or did his dad tell him? Lyonel, who up to this moment has seemed like a straight up dude giving good advice, might be doing some scheming himself.

What house are they, bookgay.

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

I haven't read the book about this series. But to answer your question, House Strong.

Thanks.

I thought the new hand was supposed to have the strongest guy in Westeros or something, bone breaker something or another. Maybe he has both and it's a duality of man situation with one lame son and one strong one. Or maybe they were making fun of his disabled son.

16 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

Thanks.

I thought the new hand was supposed to have the strongest guy in Westeros or something, bone breaker something or another. Maybe he has both and it's a duality of man situation with one lame son and one strong one. Or maybe they were making fun of his disabled son.

Yeah, his badass bro competed in the tournament earlier this season I believe.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Yeah, his badass bro competed in the tournament earlier this season I believe.

And he's the guy the Hand sent to grab Rhae and protect her during the mayhem.

I don't have a problem with either Alicent's "turn" or Cole's reaction.

Alicent was unwittingly manipulated into being part of her father's expulsion from King's Landing by defending Rhae and therefore adding to Viserys' perception that Otto was scheming.  She also sees that Rhae is manipulative and vindictive, and therefore her father's warning hit home with her, and she knows her children will be in danger.  Perfectly reasonable.

Cole cares deeply for his honor and the Kingsguard. He sacrificed it because he fell in love with Rhae, and then hoped to elope with her.  She made clear he'd be just a plaything.  Then Ser Joffrey makes a misstep, and rubs it in that he's just a whore, so he realizes he's thrown away his honor for nothing, and takes it out on the guy rubbing it in.  Again, reasonable.

We're still in table-setting mode here so it's not action-packed and there's not as much witty dialogue or intrigue, but it's been very well done, imo, for what it is.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

Lame-footed, manipulating with the brain because he is physically disabled trope guy is lame. 

vs

4 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

... the new hand [is] the only one with a brain. He's like Tyrion ...

did you just reverse uno card yourself?

• Hook 'Em 1

The Knight of Kisses kind of went out like a bitch, but Cole was in full armor was just in a tunic. A Kingsguard beating an honored guest to death at a royal wedding is stretchy to me. It is Game Of Thrones though. Somebody always does at a wedding. 

Cole’s punishment will be interesting. Best case he gets sent to the Wall. Worst case is probably a beheading. If they just keep him around I’ll be disappointed with the writing. There should be a consequence. 

I can’t suggest Alt Shift X’s explanation videos enough. He breaks down everything that flys over the casual viewer’s head. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Hey, cool! New characters! A new house? New storyline away from Kin'g Land--? Nevermind. 

The green dress late entrance shit just landed with a thud. I laughed when they cut to the two explainer dudes telling why the scene is supposed to be dramatic. Ooooh, green dress. Okay, got it.

The ending was ridiculous, but kind of fun. This show is approaching mediocre, but will still be watchable if it turns into a primetime soap. 

Laenor during the ceremony:

spacer.png

It’s definitely mediocre relative to what it could be. Alicent is a really weird character. I can buy her turn if she wants her son to be on the throne. Which she should. Daemon by far my favorite character with the best actor combo.