House of the Dragon

crash_davis

3 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

I read it as greyscale, but I get stuff wrong in this world all the time. Also had me concerned with how Daemon was dragging his torso around 

I thought it was greyscale too and kept thinking "don't touch that shit!" as Daemon dragged the upper torso by the hand.

I'm liking the show but their bar was S8 GOT which is about as low as you can get.  The end battle of S1E3 felt like something out of S8 GOT.  Super lazy script and just wholly unbelievable within the context of the setting/world.  And the crab guy is dead already?  lol he's been hanging out there for years wreaking havoc and we know nothing about him except he's a torso now ironically feeding crabs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Having a dragon seems about as unfair has having an A-10. And they have many of them. Seems like they would win any battle easily, and could always just threaten to burn their opponents’ cities to the ground at any moment.

Yeah, I fail to see how the war lasted 3 years. Especially when apparently all they had to do was draw the infantry out from the caves for one battle. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

2) let's see, 2 years in, the entirety of your enemy is holed up on on a small rock-based island bereft of natural resources, and you have them cut off from any re-supply.  And you are "losing?" If you have time to kill (and you do - it's been at least two years) and you don't need the islands for strategic reasons (e.g., an airstrip in WW2), why not just starve them out?  They'll be dead of dehydration in 2-3 weeks. 

the daemon hero bit was pretty cool but yeah, surviving 3 years of a siege inside a cave while being defended by 15 archers was a real big WTF moment.

the daemon hero bit was pretty cool but yeah, surviving 3 years of a siege inside a cave while being defended by 15 archers was a real big WTF moment.

Yeah the whole climax was weak. 3 years being thwarted by some dudes retreating into a cave only to be finished with a trap to draw them out. I get the whole point is to raise daemon to be a major character but I was somewhat hoping crabfeeder and his merry band of pirates would be a bigger player but whatever. Major late GoT series vibes on this one .
  • Like 1

Anyone else catching themselves watching intensely whenever Daemons on screen, but if Visereys is on crying about something it’s a good time to surf surly?

Sure the battle was “weak”, but I’m so starved for action that it was cool. Like someone said this is turning into the bachelor if daemon isn’t on the screen.

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

so, we don't have to exclusively slurp this show in this thread? we can even be critical of it?!? i feel like Leslie Knope around the 3 minute mark here:

Here’s what the ballas do/. Watch every episode.  Shit on every episode. Cry about why everyone is still watching the show as it truly sucks.  Now what some people do is just stop watching, leave the thread to those that may like the show

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Anyone else catching themselves watching intensely whenever Daemons on screen, but if Visereys is on crying about something it’s a good time to surf surly?

literally everyone in his extended family is squabbling over the throne and the 1 person whos actually on it is like “omg this job is soooo dreadful”

Also like how after 3 years of fighting in a very well defined battlefield, daemon forgot that landing the dragon exposes him to archers on the cliff

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

good luck telling that to the people in the rick and morty thread. and the south park thread. and always sunny. and seasons 5-7 of GoT. and S8 before the final episode. and

Stop caring what people think.   Or thinking your (general your, not you specifically) opinion is the end-all, be-all of opinions of a show. 

I find half this show boring af - all the succession stuff.  Holy fuck was it boring.  The battle stuff was way better.

25 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

But I was told I could do whatever I wanted.  

Bitch post

Wanna bitch about the show? Feel free, not breaking any rules.  Don't have to ask for permission to criticize the show.

Book talk?  You gonna get in trouble. 

Team illiterati forever here, but my understanding is with the OG show, 1 TV season generally = 1 thing which will not be named.

The pacing here is so slow it seems they are squeezing as much as they can out of 1 thing which will not be named. 

Oh well, I'll take it - it's nice to have GOT back on TV.  

16 hours ago, austingirl said:

Sure, not much about that battle made sense, but it was fun to watch. TBH I'll watch Matt Smith in anything. If you weren't familiar with him before now, check out the Dr. Who seasons with him. Karen Gillan is in them too, if you need an extra reason.

Did you see him play Prince Phillip in the first two seasons of The Crown? There may have been a scene in which King George VI rousts young Phillip out of bed for an early morning duck hunt wherein a very nice shot of Matt Smith was onscreen....sans clothes, but if asked by my family I will have no recollection of that event.

We've been watching, and there are flaws but we have been entertained for the most part, and Matt Smith is a solid actor so we've enjoyed his scenes. We're hoping Rhys Ifans' character will get things going a little more with the behind the scenes drama. The marrying off of the princess may take some time to develop so we're going to keep going with it.

(forgive me for using actor names instead of characters, but I am horrible at them with this type of fictional multi-episode series.)

2 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Man, I was ragging on people who were bitching about this show after two episodes. I'll say that I am still enjoying the show, but that whole battle scene with crab bro was super retarded. Hope it's not a sign of things to come. 

Yea, that was a stupid fucking ending to a war. That was Arya stark coming out of nowhere to kill the Night King bad. Just lazy fucking writing.

The last 2 episodes happen 2 years after the previous episode. Not a lot is happening in this universe.

Hoping things pick up and the writing gets better. 

This is the same crowd that mercilessly eviscerated the battle tactics during The Long Night/Battle of Winterfell?

How about the absolutely braindead NPC behavior of the crabfeeder's men? *Checks sky* "Looks good boys, definitely not a trap. I guess I could tell this fuckwad to come to us, but fuck it. Everybody abandon the safety of the caves and rush the guy with the pet dragon!"

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

This is the same crowd that mercilessly eviscerated the battle tactics during The Long Night/Battle of Winterfell?

How about the absolutely braindead NPC behavior of the crabfeeder's men? *Checks sky* "Looks good boys, definitely not a trap. I guess I could tell this fuckwad to come to us, but fuck it. Everybody abandon the safety of the caves and rush the guy with the pet dragon!"

The whole fucking army rushes out of the caves to kill one dude. One. Just fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Man, I was ragging on people who were bitching about this show after two episodes. I'll say that I am still enjoying the show, but that whole battle scene with crab bro was super retarded. Hope it's not a sign of things to come. 

This. I did enjoy the episode but the whole Mr crab guy thing was stupid. We didn't get any backstory, the battle scene was weak, Daemon running through a ridiculous gauntlet with barely a scratch, ect. It just seemed like useless filler and I'm glad that little subplot is done

I obviously hang out in the CR too much, but I was pretty sure General Crab was either suffering from CTE due to 3 years of battle trauma or the dragon fire had burned too many of his little gray cells because the original idea of hanging out in the caves was working for the most part.

OTOH, Daemon's temper and hubris is going to get him in trouble eventually, though. (I haven't read the books so no clue if that is how it goes.)

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I obviously hang out in the CR too much, but I was pretty sure General Crab was either suffering from CTE due to 3 years of battle trauma or the dragon fire had burned too many of his little gray cells because the original idea of hanging out in the caves was working for the most part.

OTOH, Daemon's temper and hubris is going to get him in trouble eventually, though. (I haven't read the books so no clue if that is how it goes.)

It’s been shown in the original show that as your case of greyscale progresses you eventually go insane. So it’s not shocking that his cognitive condition seriously declined over three years. 

On 9/5/2022 at 7:57 AM, bschoolprof said:

My wife pointed out Viserys was missing two fingers now. The throne keeps eating away at him.  Frankly, I thought he'd be dead by now.  

He's gonna end up like the black knight in Monty Python.

Just a stump sitting on the throne.  

I gotta think if I ascended the Iron Throne my first command would be "Maester, get some goddamned CUSHIONS and drape those arm chairs in someth.....you know what get rid of that fucking throne."

• Haha 2