House of the Dragon

crash_davis

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Anyone sitting around watching shows about dragons has 20 minutes to kill.

i would legit say i enjoy watching people break down the show (yt channel emergency awesome) and reading the backstory on wiki, as much as i enjoy the show itself

back on topic, the difference i find from HOD is that primary characters in GOT had more humanity and complexity, where you simultaneously sympathized with their good and bad sides.  they were also wittier.

in HOD daemon has a bit of that (hes a "bad" guy, but also just seeking attention).  rhaenys has potential for it, but they simply dont give her enough screen time. 

bob baratheon was a terrible king, but there was charisma in his hedonism.  viserys on the other hand is just a soppy milquetoast.  otto is nowhere as clever/devious as tywin or tyrion.

episode 1 was great.  episode 2 was a bit of a daytime drama slog.  i have hopes for episode 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know this may be crazy, but follow me....if these people like incest so much, why doesn't Viserys just marry his daughter and have a male heir? God only knows what that poor bastard would look like, but Viserys' line would be secure. Seems like that would avoid a lot of angst. Or is that crossing some incestual morality red line? little fuzzy on the rules

2 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

I know this may be crazy, but follow me....if these people like incest so much, why doesn't Viserys just marry his daughter and have a male heir? God only knows what that poor bastard would look like, but Viserys' line would be secure. Seems like that would avoid a lot of angst. Or is that crossing some incestual morality red line? little fuzzy on the rules

Yeah I'm guessing that's a bridge too far.  I mean, we're talking about nobility here.

3 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

I don't think the Targs were ever into father/daughter incest. They mostly stick to brother/sister marriages. Viserys's parents were bro and sis. 

On 8/31/2022 at 4:25 PM, 52-80 said:

back on topic, the difference i find from HOD is that primary characters in GOT had more humanity and complexity, where you simultaneously sympathized with their good and bad sides.  they were also wittier.

in HOD daemon has a bit of that (hes a "bad" guy, but also just seeking attention).  rhaenys has potential for it, but they simply dont give her enough screen time. 

bob baratheon was a terrible king, but there was charisma in his hedonism.  viserys on the other hand is just a soppy milquetoast.  otto is nowhere as clever/devious as tywin or tyrion.

episode 1 was great.  episode 2 was a bit of a daytime drama slog.  i have hopes for episode 3.

Dude we're 2 fucking episodes in. Character development is meant to take time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

My feelings are the same. Even though we didn’t know anything about the characters in the first couple of episodes of GoT we really really wanted to because they were so engaging. For the most part I’m still meh on these characters.

9 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

My feelings are the same. Even though we didn’t know anything about the characters in the first couple of episodes of GoT we really really wanted to because they were so engaging. For the most part I’m still meh on these characters.

They had a lot of personality, color, depth.  So far the HotD characters are really....mild?

Wtf. All that hype of that crab fucker and he gets beat offscreen? Offscreen?!  Whole episode was whiny bullshit about heir to throne.  

I guess some are amazed by the little battle? I guess I need to know the people fighting...only knew Corlys ad Daemon.  Burning people gets old...rather see hand to hand combat.  

Just jump forward already and split the house.  I don't need another episode of Rhynera at this same age.  I get it. She isn't happy. 

Edited by utxmike05
  • Hook 'Em 3

57 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Who was on the dragon at the end ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Lanaor… (sp)

Black dude son. That was speaking at battle field 

Laenor

I didn't realize any of the Velaryons were dragon riders, since they're seafarers, and thought that privilege was reserved only to the Targaryens.

55 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Wtf. All that hype of that crab fucker and he gets beat offscreen? Offscreen?!  Whole episode was whiny bullshit about heir to throne.  

I guess some are amazed by the little battle? I guess I need to know the people fighting...only knew Corlys ad Daemon.  Burning people gets old...rather see hand to hand combat.  

Just jump forward already and split the house.  I don't need another episode of Rhynera at this same age.  I get it. She isn't happy. 

Crab fucker was clearly a half burned feeble fucking dude, you wanted to see a fight play out with him? It was actually cooler Daemon ran in the cave and came back out with a part of his upper body only.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Covri said:

Crab fucker was clearly a half burned feeble fucking dude, you wanted to see a fight play out with him? It was actually cooler Daemon ran in the cave and came back out with a part of his upper body only.

Cmon. All those cut scenes, trailers, suspense of some mysterious guy. And supposedly their armies have been fighting for years. We never get to see him fight or maybe speak? That's a cheap way out. Yes it's cool the way he killed him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I know people love gore and battle and shit, but the strategy of the military campaign in the step stones made no sense to me.

1) from the get go, they are islands. If you want to take islands, you will need plenty of infantry and not just ships. It's not just a naval battle. I'm not sure what the original plan of the sea snake was.  

2) let's see, 2 years in, the entirety of your enemy is holed up on on a small rock-based island bereft of natural resources, and you have them cut off from any re-supply.  And you are "losing?" If you have time to kill (and you do - it's been at least two years) and you don't need the islands for strategic reasons (e.g., an airstrip in WW2), why not just starve them out?  They'll be dead of dehydration in 2-3 weeks.  

3) if you actually need the island quickly, you take it the way they did at the end, without all the silly Prince Daemon 1 vs 1,000 theatrics.  Use the dragons to get your men on the beach, take out their archers with said fire-breathing dragon, chase them to their holes and then smoke them out.  

I didn't get it. 

The rest of the episode was fine, but there's a lot of brooding and pouting and drinking and vista-staring.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I know people love gore and battle and shit, but the strategy of the military campaign in the step stones made no sense to me.

1) from the get go, they are islands. If you want to take islands, you will need plenty of infantry and not just ships. It's not just a naval battle. I'm not sure what the original plan of the sea snake was.  

2) let's see, 2 years in, the entirety of your enemy is holed up on on a small rock-based island bereft of natural resources, and you have them cut off from any re-supply.  And you are "losing?" If you have time to kill (and you do - it's been at least two years) and you don't need the islands for strategic reasons (e.g., an airstrip in WW2), why not just starve them out?  They'll be dead of dehydration in 2-3 weeks.  

3) if you actually need the island quickly, you take it the way they did at the end, without all the silly Prince Daemon 1 vs 1,000 theatrics.  Use the dragons to get your men on the beach, take out their archers with said fire-breathing dragon, chase them to their holes and then smoke them out.  

I didn't get it. 

The rest of the episode was fine, but there's a lot of brooding and pouting and drinking and vista-staring.  

Yeah the battle was kind of dumb. No reason Daemon was needed as bait to burn the archers. They could have done that at any point. And I’m not sure why anyone was afraid of said archers since they couldn’t take down one guy. Or why they were afraid of the foot soldiers since crab man sent what 30 guys out in waves before he finally sends everyone. 

9 hours ago, Covri said:

I read it as greyscale, but I get stuff wrong in this world all the time. Also had me concerned with how Daemon was dragging his torso around 

13 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I read it as greyscale, but I get stuff wrong in this world all the time. Also had me concerned with how Daemon was dragging his torso around 

It might have been grayscale I dunno he just looked worse I thought than even the previous episodes implied.

I also get the 1 vs 100 talk being a bit over the top but it's clearly there to set Daemon up as the bad ass who went medieval John Wick on the crabfeeder versus his brother the king who took three tries to kill a held down buck.