Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 5/20/2022 at 11:06 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

IIRC, 16 lb bag for $2.50 or 20 lb loose for the same.
It’s minimal given gas prices these days.

There's also one at Plano Road and Buckingham. SW corner in a gas station parking lot.  It works consistently (better than Arapaho and Shilo)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've been meaning to try one of those -- looks like there are 2 in Austin (Mueller & Slaughter locations).  Brisket is $20/lb, turkey is $17/lb.  Same at Rudys are $22-$24 (lean or moist brisket) and $20 (turkey).  Not enough to justify eating lesser Q but worth trying regardless.  If Rudy's is slipping then I am afflicted with sad.

For a while (and maybe still) the Whole Foods in The Domain had a BBQ kiosk.  They smoked on site.  It wasn't bad at all, but everything was the same price/lb, including sides (which was bizarre).

I don’t know if Rudy’s is slipping or not but the location at Selma puts out Brisket that is so overcooked and dry that I gave it to the dogs. Not exaggerating.

21 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t know if Rudy’s is slipping or not but the location at Selma puts out Brisket that is so overcooked and dry that I gave it to the dogs. Not exaggerating.

Pretty sure that's a rogue Rudy's and not part of the overall Rudy's corp.  I think someone on here gave the details at some point.  I avoid that place, which is disappointing, because it's a perfect spot to grab grub on the way back from SATX.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Pretty sure that's a rogue Rudy's and not part of the overall Rudy's corp.  I think someone on here gave the details at some point.  I avoid that place, which is disappointing, because it's a perfect spot to grab grub on the way back from SATX.

Fuck I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

On 5/20/2022 at 10:30 AM, Hpara759 said:

Screenshot_20220520-102920.png

Last time I was looking for turkey breasts, it was cheaper to purchase a fresh, whole turkey.  It was around the holidays, so there were fresh birds around.  I separated the breast and cooked those as I had intended.  I also smoked the wings, thighs, and drumsticks for future use.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Last time I was looking for turkey breasts, it was cheaper to purchase a fresh, whole turkey.  It was around the holidays, so there were fresh birds around.  I separated the breast and cooked those as I had intended.  I also smoked the wings, thighs, and drumsticks for future use.

You can also buy the frozen bone-in and separate 'em yourselves. I wish they did more fresh, though, as thaw time blows. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 1:29 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Why the hell won't Rudy's build one that isn't in the BFE suburbs?  Does 10-50 achieve Rudy's level?

About the worse experience I have had with Rudy's is crumbly brisket, which is still damn tasty.

10-50 is above average.  And they charge elite prices.  I wouldn’t advise anyone go out of their way to try it, but if you’re in that particular part of town it’s probably the best you can do within a reasonable driving distance, which is an important factor on a weeknight.  They’ve also never been out of anything I’ve wanted to order at 7:00 p.m., which is an underrated quality for a bbq restaurant.  If you go, order their fries.  That is not something I would ordinarily order at a bbq place, but they may have the best fried I have ever had.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've been meaning to try one of those -- looks like there are 2 in Austin (Mueller & Slaughter locations).  Brisket is $20/lb, turkey is $17/lb.  Same at Rudys are $22-$24 (lean or moist brisket) and $20 (turkey).  Not enough to justify eating lesser Q but worth trying regardless.  If Rudy's is slipping then I am afflicted with sad.

For a while (and maybe still) the Whole Foods in The Domain had a BBQ kiosk.  They smoked on site.  It wasn't bad at all, but everything was the same price/lb, including sides (which was bizarre).

Just to clarify here, since there are three HEBs on Slaughter, the True Texas BBQ location is at Slaughter/South Congress.  It is pretty damn tasty in a pinch.

Yeah. I heard my Dad’s voice when I read that. “We can’t go there. It’s not on the right side of the highway.”
Goddamnit I hate that I'm turning into my Dad. And your Dad.

Actually my dad is pretty fucking awesome. I'm confused.

15 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Does anyone know if Creekside cookers and Wimberley still has a food truck?  I know they shut down their location on River Road.

I believe they are now known as Kelly's Hill Country BBQ

https://khcbbq.com/

Address:

14306 Ranch Rd 12
Wimberley, TX 78676

Hours: Tue – Sat: 11:00 AM – Sold Out

On 5/18/2022 at 11:17 AM, jimmyjazz said:

My son and I have taken a few trips to the Metroplex and parts further north for soccer this spring, and he always wants BBQ on the way home.  So far I've managed to sway him off Hard 8 and just go for Rudy's in Waco.  No complaints yet.  Hard 8 just screams "corner cutting" to me.

man, less a mile or two west y’all could hit up Guess Family BBQ instead of Rudy’s and that young man would brag on his awesome dad forever and a day.  

shit’s legit…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 3:21 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

i asked for some help in the houston bbq thread and no one has replied so now asking here......

2 best options for clear lake / friendswood / seabrook

Smokin’ Z’s down in Hitchcock.   DV did a write up on them a couple years back.  it’s pretty damn good.  

other than that, i got nothing.  

14 hours ago, Deej said:

Y'all's dads were soft. My dad wasn't stopping for anything. Didn't matter what side of the road it was on. 

my dad complains that my mom does that (his vision sucks so can't drive).  he started buying himself an extra sandwich for the road, and she got mad first time he broke it out. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, elfenix said:

my dad complains that my mom does that (his vision sucks so can't drive).  he started buying himself an extra sandwich for the road, and she got mad first time he broke it out. 

We'd drive to Colorado every summer to go camping. Mom and Dad in the cab, kids and dogs in the truck bed (camper shell on it, and dad had built a bed back there for when he was out on hunting and fishing trips) and pulling a pop up trailer. Dad would stop for gas and gas only. If we had to pee, he had a big plastic pickle "jar" with a screw top lid for us to go into. We learned pretty quickly to drink fluids sparingly while on the road. 

• Haha 2

I was riding in the back of my uncle’s pickup with my cousin. Camper shell platform bed and all. No stopping except gas. A long distance prison van.

I had to go so bad one night I got cuz to hold up the back window so I could piss over the tailgate while we were Barrel king down I30. I didn’t know the headlights behind were my aunt and uncle driving with the windows down due to their smoking.

I pissed like fucking Secretariat I was so full…

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Starting to have second thoughts about pickle juice and mustard as a binder for the BBQ rub.

That pickle jar was a lifesaver, though. My grandparents babysat us one year while my parents went on vacation without us. Grandma wasn't that great of a cook. She made a giant pot of vegetable soup that my sister and I despised. She made enough for at least a week. On what would have been day three of eating it, she told us she had found the perfect container out in the garage to store all the leftover soup, and held up the piss jar, filled with soup. We explained to her what that particular container was used for and she poured the soup out, sparing us from eating it for the next two or three days. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Deej said:

We'd drive to Colorado every summer to go camping. Mom and Dad in the cab, kids and dogs in the truck bed (camper shell on it, and dad had built a bed back there for when he was out on hunting and fishing trips) and pulling a pop up trailer. Dad would stop for gas and gas only. If we had to pee, he had a big plastic pickle "jar" with a screw top lid for us to go into. We learned pretty quickly to drink fluids sparingly while on the road. 

Shit, we did the same thing to Colorado sans the pickle jar. My father was a refined man and would stop so we could use a roadside toilet.

My old man put a piece of plywood on the bedrails with a foam topper and a sheet. Did you have the innertube between the cab and shell so the a/c could reach through the split window?

Just now, LW Goatman said:

Shit, we did the same thing to Colorado sans the pickle jar. My father was a refined man and would stop so we could use a roadside toilet.

My old man put a piece of plywood on the bedrails with a foam topper and a sheet. Did you have the innertube between the cab and shell so the a/c could reach through the split window?

Hell no. We had to open the little side windows on the camper shell. When it was really hot, though, my dad would let the dogs ride in the back of the cab on the jumper seats. Kids stayed in the truck bed. 

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Hell no. We had to open the little side windows on the camper shell. When it was really hot, though, my dad would let the dogs ride in the back of the cab on the jumper seats. Kids stayed in the truck bed. 

Sounds like I rode in the Ritz Carlton of pickup bed setups.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Finally made it over to Zavala's. Great stuff. The brisket and the sloppy juan were the stars. Ribs were phenomenal too, well seasoned. Sausage was a tad dry. Not a fan of their cheesy sauce on the hominy but the potato salad was awesome. 

20220527_121626.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I once found myself passing through Decatur, AL and stopped at Big Bob Gibson’s.  I thought their ribs were pretty good.  I’m not a big chicken guy, but since it was their specialty I ordered it and put their white sauce on it.  When in Rome and all of that.  Not a fan.  At all.  If I ever find myself back in Decatur (unlikely) I would go back and get the pulled pork and ribs.