Texas BBQ

Washpark

Thursday 8/31.  Just curious how long we might wait after arriving to get some food.  I'm not wanting to subject neophytes to an hour + wait when we could just go get something else, it's business.

You also need to check if beef rib is on menus for weekdays. Seems like many places only do them on the weekend.

4 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

I'm staying.by medical center/NRG area and passed a Citadel BBQ.  Is it worth a try?

This place must’ve moved from downtown recently. I had it once since it was near my office and all I can say is that it was not good.

Edited by Etexhorn13

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I know Jerry is a big fan, but Micklethwait now has dinner hours.

I am a fan of Micklethwait, but I wouldn't be doing dinner service when it's 100+ degrees outside. 

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Austin BBQ -- which joint has the better dino beef rib, Stiles Switch (Lamar) or Terry Black's?  Or other?  Thinking "dinner service".

Either Terry Black's or Stiles Switch should be good for beef ribs.  Double check, though.  Some places only do beef ribs on weekends.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've had zero good experiences at Micklethwait, but even if I had, I wouldn't suggest it for a client dinner when it's 100+ outside.  Agree that both Terry Black's and SS should be good for your beef rib plan, so whichever is closest and is serving beef ribs at your desired time, is the one I'd do.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I'd not heard of them before.  Great website.  Hope that they cook as good as all of that looks!

like most places, super nice and friendly people 

30 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I've had zero good experiences at Micklethwait, but even if I had, I wouldn't suggest it for a client dinner when it's 100+ outside.  Agree that both Terry Black's and SS should be good for your beef rib plan, so whichever is closest and is serving beef ribs at your desired time, is the one I'd do.

terry blacks 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

Stopped at Lulling a couple weeks ago. Disappointing.

Otoh, I was quite happy with Blacks.

1701 BBQ in Beaumont is fantastic.

I want to try Redbird in Port Neches, but I got called in at 2245 last night and worked until 0730 this morning. So I slept until after 1300 today.

Edited by lilMAC25

23 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’ve never had a bad meal at the pit room, it’s a great spot 

Wish I could say the same. Took my out of state in-laws there a couple of months ago and it was truly awful. The brisket was dry and damn near inedible. Didn't even bother to wrap up the leftovers to bring home. I was embarrassed for taking my in-laws there for what was supposed to be a fun Texas BBQ experience for them.

24 minutes ago, royiv said:

Wish I could say the same. Took my out of state in-laws there a couple of months ago and it was truly awful. The brisket was dry and damn near inedible. Didn't even bother to wrap up the leftovers to bring home. I was embarrassed for taking my in-laws there for what was supposed to be a fun Texas BBQ experience for them.

I would have taken it back to the counter and asked them to pull another brisket

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I would have taken it back to the counter and asked them to pull another brisket

I truly don’t understand why more folks don’t go this route.   Steak, brisket, whatever.  Heck, I’ve done it a Luby’s.  

You get a clunker?  It’s not a problem to ask for a replacement.  I’ve had servers, cooks and pit masters nod in agreement.   They don’t want to serve bad food, especially at a BBQ or steak joint.  Frequent flyer at a joint, automatic.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I definitely should have and probably would have had the in-laws not been there. They would have thought I was causing some sort of unforgivable scene.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wife and i dropped into Terry Black's last night on Barton Springs Road.  The place was hopping, even at 6 PM, but we got through the line and got a table inside quickly.  She had a sammich, I had pork ribs, we did sides of pinto beans, cole slaw, and cobbler.

Honestly, it was all pretty good.  I thought the ribs were a bit on the sweet side, but it wasn't like some got-damned KC sauce or anything like that.  They were meaty and tender.  The beans were particularly good.  Slaw was "eh", cobbler was good.  It was a pretty good quick dinner with some Sandy's custard as a follow-on.  I need to head downtown more often.

And then we drove into the fringes of Bat Fest.  Oy.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/23/2023 at 12:47 PM, TXSooner518 said:

The ribs at the Tavern are phenomenal IMO.  Everything else is fine/solid/good. The brisket baked beans also quite solid. But the main takeaway is just get the large rib plate. 

when was the last time you were there? the only people ive ever heard say they were really good last went about a decade ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:17 AM, DallasSooner said:

Okay when I go to East Texas I hit 1) Sunbird 2) Jeffersons Riverport (because I love Stephen Joseph) and 3. Bodacious Hallsville. 

I have never stopped at the Country Tavern in Kilgore and I have always wanted to. What's your thoughts on it??

Bryan and Dave at Sunbird are good dudes.

Stephen Joseph is also a good dude.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

when was the last time you were there? the only people ive ever heard say they were really good last went about a decade ago.

Last time I went was more than a decade ago and my recollection was not that they were "really good."

Red Bird BBQ, Port Neches. I think this is one of the offshoots of Goldee’s. I can’t keep it all straight.

Nice building with a good amount of seating. Line moves slow. Had 1/2 lb of brisket, a link of sausage and some red beans and rice.

Brisket was excellent. Maybe the every so tiniest bit salty, but flavor was fantastic. I liked the sausage as well. Wish it would have been a spicy variety. Red beans and rice were delicious. This makes choosing between 1701 and Red Bird a difficult task when you are in the armpit of Texas.

9f383c14ef7c7c12fde41845b5d818b6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Red Bird BBQ, Port Neches. I think this is one of the offshoots of Goldee’s. I can’t keep it all straight.

Nice building with a good amount of seating. Line moves slow. Had 1/2 lb of brisket, a link of sausage and some red beans and rice.

Brisket was excellent. Maybe the every so tiniest bit salty, but flavor was fantastic. I liked the sausage as well. Wish it would have been a spicy variety. Red beans and rice were delicious. This makes choosing between 1701 and Red Bird a difficult task when you are in the armpit of Texas.

Got dam, that looks like the perfect lunch. Now I want some red beans and rice AND a tall bottle of Big Red.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I would put all of that in my mouth.  Every bit of it.  Fuck, now I'm hungry.

• Like 2

Finally made it to Merrit Meats today and, um, I’m gonna have to twist the wife’s arm to come back to Round Top a couple times a year.

No line at 12:50 and they had everything (not too surprising given how quiet it is this time of year, but still)

Brisket - 9.5
Absolutely outstanding and if I’m being really picky it only lacked for a bit of bark. Perfectly cooked, glistening greatness that had an abundance of flavor. The ends were also stupid good

Sausage - 8
Good snap, even though sliced, and expertly cooked but somewhat lacking in flavor. A purists sausage that really leaned into the traditional filling, but didn’t wow me.

Ribs - 8.5
Match the notes for the sausage but the pepper on these boys shined through and they had a good bite

Sides - 7.5
“Good” but nothing really special here despite the variety of approaches to each.

That brisket tho…

d07473978e2c4c1a39b8b2621414af59.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2