Texas BBQ

Washpark

Peak Bert’s  holds a special place in my heart.  I realize that the game has changed, and I appreciate the craft bbq movement, but getting a T-man for $7 was nirvana in college.  The last time I went there was when they were in the space adjacent to University Towers.  Tom came out from behind the counter and gave me a hug.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Also, they still have a sign on the wall saying they'll cook your meat for $1/lb.  Bring them a brisket, pork butt, whatever, and the next day you'll get it back in all its smoky goodness.  Now THAT'S a bargain.

Call first.

They used to do it for a 6 pack of Coors.

• Haha 1

just adding this for folks to see about Helberg:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0aH870uJo6/?hl=en&img_index=1

image.thumb.png.f11428d28ce86e9e1d6e98aaf8fd5be6.png

Sendero collab link: https://senderopc.com/collections/sendero-x-helberg-bbq-collab

Hole in the roof BBQ link: https://store.holeintheroof.com/helberg_bbq_relief_fund/shop/home

can't speak to the second one but Sendero makes some quality stuff.

go fund me is over 80k now: https://www.gofundme.com/f/helberg-fire-relief-fund

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Waco Trib say Helberg hopes to be up and running middle of next week out of a couple of food trucks on the property.

Yeah, they went and picked up the truck that had been on premise at Barnett's downtown to get some extra cooking capacity.  I'll be out there for sure, even if it's a pickup order for a few lbs of Trinity.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Hello from LJ’s in Brenham, where I’m full af:

e69f825950320fb2fb28dc2bbae1c2f2.jpg
7c0888ca45780072cbb447769354e1ae.jpg

Brisket: 8 - Little dry and tough in parts but well cooked… probably caught a bad cut

Ribs: 10 - Fantastic flavor and fell right off the bone

Sausage: 9 - went with the jap cheese and it was gooey goodness all the way

Sides: 9 - Mac was a standout, but the street corn salad rocked. Coleslaw was mid.

Worth a stop for sure!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

On 12/5/2023 at 9:33 AM, Trey3216 said:

Yeah, they went and picked up the truck that had been on premise at Barnett's downtown to get some extra cooking capacity.  I'll be out there for sure, even if it's a pickup order for a few lbs of Trinity.  

It’s been a minute since I darkened the door at Barnett’s, they used to have about every bourbon known to man. 

6 minutes ago, skilesare said:

Dear Lord...what is the cooking process for that? I guess they smoke it and then fry it?  I wonder how much cooking the fryer does. Looks pretty good!

yep, they showed the process on their instagram stories. looks like it's smoked, chilled, then fried. the breading had a nice crunch and then you got the good smoky flavor at the end. definitely a once a year type of meal. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, stc said:

yep, they showed the process on their instagram stories. looks like it's smoked, chilled, then fried. the breading had a nice crunch and then you got the good smoky flavor at the end. definitely a once a year type of meal. 

Those ribs are so damned big, I doubt the fryer brings the internal temperature up that much.

So how's the gravy?

24 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'm actually off today so I think I'm headed back for the smoked chicken and dumplings.

Oh, I gotta try that.

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

4 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

It's not an everyday item there. They're just doing a bunch of specials this month for Christmas.

Yup.  But, they DO do it, every year in December.  Some of the other "12 days" specials change up, but the chicken fried beef rib is a staple.  So tasty, so ridiculous.

Had the smoked chicken and dumplings today and really liked it.  They have these Christmas specials dialed in.  

Don't think I can make it tomorrow but I'll be back on Sunday for the gumbo.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Need a ref or two for a friend …. Stiles and switch for bbq ? <<< no line kind of place 

need another brunch and lunch spot rec, downtownish thanks 

any good tex mex ?

Stiles Switch and Terry Black's both have full dining rooms and full dining hours, so they're a good choice for BBQ at dinner.  Minimal lines at both except at peak lunch hour and even then it might only be 20 people in line.

Not sure about downtown brunch or lunch.

For Tex-Mex, Enchiladas y Mas

• Hook 'Em 1