Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 8/27/2022 at 5:28 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

LaVacas second location in Victoria supposed to open before Halloween. They also currently looking for a 3rd location to open in Bay City sometime next year

bay city is cheaper than victoria. they better have a $6.99 coupon for chopped beef / drink / chips and that two meat plate better not be over $16, if they want to succeed in the victoria market. 

And the parking at that new FTW location is awful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No shit. When it was Derek Allen’s sometimes I just drove on down the road because that lot has shit access to go with the shit parking.

Derek Allen had to be open for breakfast plus lunch and dinner because of the traffic patterns of that hospital area. No wonder he got burnt out and quit.

20 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

No shit. When it was Derek Allen’s sometimes I just drove on down the road because that lot has shit access to go with the shit parking.

Derek Allen had to be open for breakfast plus lunch and dinner because of the traffic patterns of that hospital area. No wonder he got burnt out and quit.

I didn't know they closed up shop.  At once point he was going to expand and open a burger joint across the street. Is he still doing that or is he completely out?

14 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

What's the line/table situation like at Roegels on Voss? 

Never been in, but will have 3 different sets of people and thus 3 different arrival times, meeting there for lunch..

Id guess zero

STQ next door, has the killens beef bbq’d rib for $32. It’s damn good 

On 9/2/2022 at 1:56 PM, Tylerocks said:

What's the line/table situation like at Roegels on Voss? 

Never been in, but will have 3 different sets of people and thus 3 different arrival times, meeting there for lunch..

Thursday (pastrami Reuben day) is traditionally the busiest day.   Get there no later than 11:30 am. 

All the other days are hit and miss.  Always a good crowds with varying line length. 

Edited by deadshank

On 9/2/2022 at 2:12 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Id guess zero

STQ next door, has the killens beef bbq’d rib for $32. It’s damn good 

22 hours ago, deadshank said:

Thursday (pastrami Reuben day) is traditionally the busiest day.   Get there no later than 11:30 am. 

All the other days are hit and miss.  Always a good crowds with varying line length. 

Well, that was underwhelming/disappointing

No line, barely anyone there, guy taking orders was a dick, and the food sucked.

Edited by Tylerocks

37 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

guy taking orders was a dick

Big black guy?

If so, I have a story.  His name is Bruce and he's the hardest working mother fucker I've ever met.

I used to office near there and ate at Baker's Ribs which turned into Roegels dozens of times and all over that area for thirty years. I first ran into Bruce when he was working at Cliff's over on Fountainview. I already knew him to speak to pretty well when one day he told me "Congratulations! The Horns are getting the best quarterback I've ever seen. Kid outta Yates named Vince Young. You just wait - he's incredible."

Since then I've also run into Brucxe at Buffalo Grill, Cafe Express and eventually Roegel's.

So anyway, if Bruce was a dick to you, my guess is you deserved it. I'm willing to give HIM the benefit of the doubt.

If it wasn't him, the I'm willing to take your word for it.

Agree with you and Swayze though. It's not that great compared to Snow's or Franklin or Truth ...

Spoiler

...and I'm apparently having lunch there today.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

Big black guy?

If so, I have a story.  His name is Bruce and he's the hardest working mother fucker I've ever met.

I used to office near there and ate at Baker's Ribs which turned into Roegels dozens of times and all over that area for thirty years. I first ran into Bruce when he was working at Cliff's over on Fountainview. I already knew him to speak to pretty well when one day he told me "Congratulations! The Horns are getting the best quarterback I've ever seen. Kid outta Yates named Vince Young. You just wait - he's incredible."

Since then I've also run into Brucxe at Buffalo Grill, Cafe Express and eventually Roegel's.

So anyway, if Bruce was a dick to you, my guess is you deserved it. I'm willing to give HIM the benefit of the doubt.

If it wasn't him, the I'm willing to take your word for it.

Agree with you and Swayze though. It's not that great compared to Snow's or Franklin or Truth ...

Reveal hidden contents

...and I'm apparently having lunch there today.

That's cool. Just because he's a hard worker doesn't mean he can't be a dick.

Maybe dick is a little harsh.  He was just rude to my sister and my 81 year old dad who weren't standing where he wanted them when ordering.  Again the restaurant was basically empty.

Oh well, whatever

On 3/20/2022 at 11:25 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Goldee's Barbecue - #1 (FW)

Panther City BBQ - #10 (FW)

Dayne's Craft Barbecue (FW)

Hurtado Barbecue (Arlington)

Zavalas Barbecue (Grand Praire)

I just mapped this. Throw in Coopers at the Stockyard and it's the perfectly geographically distributed BBQ list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

That's cool. Just because he's a hard worker doesn't mean he can't be a dick.

Maybe dick is a little harsh.  He was just rude to my sister and my 81 year old dad who weren't standing where he wanted them when ordering.  Again the restaurant was basically empty.

Oh well, whatever

Bruce is a good guy but not as polished as us Surly types and may come off as a little brusque at times.  

Sorry you had a poor experience with him.   

Roegels is OK but not great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Bruce is a good guy but not as polished as us Surly types and may come off as a little brusque at times.  

Sorry you had a poor experience with him.   

Roegels is OK but not great. 

No worries, it wasn't that big a deal...think it was just compounded because the food was a let down.

Have friends that live around the corner and have had great bulk orders.  

Chalk it up to a bad day I guess.

If you are anywhere near Cloudcroft NM hit up Mad Jack's.

Dude is from Lockhart, buys his wood from Central TX, sausages from Kreutz, and is killing it. Seriously the best bbq I have had out of Texas. Well rendered fat. Well trimmed. Great sausages. Even better and interesting sandwiches. Absolutely worth your time. Go early. There is a line. Also there is a solid brewery there.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

Truth?

Why did I go there?  Because my 80 year old aunt was meeting us and she knows where Roegels is located. 

Also she was born and raised in Lexington and has been eating the “best bbq in the world” since the early seventies, so…

what are you considering the best bbq in the world? Snow's opened in 2003. Tootsie sold City Meat Market in 1996. not sure what you are calling the best in the world in this scenario?

23 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Bruce has been rude to me before. But whatever.

I would have gone with Truth. Maybe even Feges or maybe Henderson & Kane. Been ages since I tried Pinkerton’s. Burned too many times by them.

Surprised to see this on your list. I went twice, and it was awful both times. I think I posted a pic of the mangled brisket I got the first time I went. I don't think I'll ever go back, particularly with Truth literally five minutes away. 

Surprised to see this on your list. I went twice, and it was awful both times. I think I posted a pic of the mangled brisket I got the first time I went. I don't think I'll ever go back, particularly with Truth literally five minutes away. 

I haven’t been in over a year. I think I went 2 or 3 times. Al my visits were good. Not great, but certainly as good or better than Roegel’s and without the attitude.

But yes, I nearly always go to truth if I am inside the loop. It’s ridiculous that the cutter recognizes me.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

Yeah, you clearly are. It’s ok. It’s really not worth explaining. 

uh, ok. sorry i didn't randomly know that a poster on Surly had an 80 y/o aunt who was TT. maybe one day i will learn how to read someone's mind.

not sure why you thought my confusion required being an asshole in response, but whatever.

Charlie Day Reaction GIF

19 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Why would anyone go to Roegels? The best bbq joint in the world is less than 15 min from there

It was strictly a geographical decision as my pops lives out west and both my sister and I live in the Montrose area.  Was trying to limit his time driving.

On 9/5/2022 at 2:12 PM, Bullneck said:

I just mapped this. Throw out Coopers at the Stockyard and it's the perfectly geographically distributed BBQ list.

FIFY.  Probably an unintentional oversight because their product is so far below those others listed imho. Worked on the Northside for 21 years and the times I went there when invited by my boss never impressed.

8 hours ago, Bullneck said:

That's Joe Cotten's in Robstown.  Gone but not forgotten.

Beer Pour One Out GIF by Fabian Molina

a trip to Joe Cotton's was always a huge deal / treat. damn i miss that whole experience. it was very good bbq, with a fine dinning experience. their wait staff was jus top notch, always dressed to a T. 

https://texashighways.com/eat-drink/meat-mecca-joe-cotten-s-barbecue/

https://www.austinchronicle.com/columns/2005-10-07/296364/

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 9/6/2022 at 2:41 PM, Hermanator said:

Officially out on Rudy's. 

Used to be the place if I just wanted a cheap brisket for lunch but they're charging like $25/lbs now. The difference in price between them and the great places isn't enough to justify it anymore. 

Pro tip: if you have to go to Rudy’s, just get the sandwich. They seem to give you more than what you would get if ordering by the pound. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Beer Pour One Out GIF by Fabian Molina

a trip to Joe Cotton's was always a huge deal / treat. damn i miss that whole experience. it was very good bbq, with a fine dinning experience. their wait staff was jus top notch, always dressed to a T. 

https://texashighways.com/eat-drink/meat-mecca-joe-cotten-s-barbecue/

https://www.austinchronicle.com/columns/2005-10-07/296364/

It was a short drive from Corpus that my dad and I made with regularity, and your description was spot on.

• Hook 'Em 1