Texas BBQ

Washpark

Truth last week. Cutter is trying to kill me or is in cahoots with my doctor. Dude always cuts and weighs my order, then adds freebies. This time a slice of brisket and a rib.  Everything, just like always, was excellent. 

image.thumb.jpeg.918aeff6d09edddf8208f613644a873c.jpeg

Took a buddy to Brett’s in Rockdale today. Excellent meal. Brisket was stellar. 

image.thumb.jpeg.877006f202323ef7e3da7051e6bd900c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Was in Tyler last night, took my wife and son to Stanley's.  It's not bad, but a little long in the tooth.  I had pork ribs, and they were pretty well cooked, but a little too sweet in the rub.  Wife had chopped brisket sammich, she said it was good.  Son had the Mother Clucker and said he wished it was beef.

Nice folks, though.  Breakfast at Mama's today was better.  (Diner breakfast.)

52 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Truth last week. Cutter is trying to kill me or is in cahoots with my doctor. Dude always cuts and weighs my order, then adds freebies. This time a slice of brisket and a rib.  Everything, just like always, was excellent. 

image.thumb.jpeg.918aeff6d09edddf8208f613644a873c.jpeg

Took a buddy to Brett’s in Rockdale today. Excellent meal. Brisket was stellar. 

image.thumb.jpeg.877006f202323ef7e3da7051e6bd900c.jpeg

Anti-Ribite. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Son had the Mother Clucker and said he wished it was beef.

I had the same reaction to the Popeye's Spice Chicken Sammich

But in all seriousness, I may see if they'll add the fried egg to a Super Deluxe next time I'm in there.  The kid may be on to something.

Edited by dcbc

Is Rudy’s considered good BBQ? I went a couple weeks ago and it was meh to me. Thinking of going to Coopers in Llano instead.

If you have a good one, and you’re on the interstate, and you’re a ways away from your favorite joints, I would go to Rudy’s. If surrounded by the big chains it’s certainly superior to Dickeys, Colters, Spring Creek, etc.

Motherfucker, don't be badmouthing the McRib.

I hold eat a McRib over any Dickeys 100 times of 100 times. Dickeys is constantly on the D level of clean; they do just enough to not get shut down.

Dickeys now has hundreds of stores nationally exposing Yankees to the sorriest excuse for Texas bbq ever. If they had killed people without remorse I would rank them the worst Texas company over blue bell.

5 hours ago, Okie State said:

I'd eat at Rudy's over Cooper's. I've been to two different Cooper's locations and both were average to below average.

I've had a few shitty meals at Rudy's, but most have been pretty good.

beware of the cooper's in juncition. closest ive ever come to shitting my pants / shitting on the side of the road, about 15 mins after leaving that dump

Edited by tx 3 putt

9 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

If you have a good one, and you’re on the interstate, and you’re a ways away from your favorite joints, I would go to Rudy’s. If surrounded by the big chains it’s certainly superior to Dickeys, Colters, Spring Creek, etc.

If you’re in Texas and going to get barbecue as an event, there’s usually something better within a reasonable distance.

The fact is, even with the barbecue Renaissance going on and the ability to get good Texas style brisket in most big cities— Rudy’s would be the best around for about 90 percent of the country. It’s by no means bad. 

If you’re getting hangry on a road trip and you see it, you’ll be fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 8/19/2022 at 1:24 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Holy cow Bodacious is terribad.

Mobberly?

i mean, they promoted someone who was in their family to the role after being closed to "remodel" for months after they ran off Bryan/Dave.

After Jordan left, and they ran off Bryan/Dave they just went back to what basically every other Bodacious BBQ in the state is - incredibly mediocre.

edit: it was SS, sorry.

21 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Is Rudy’s considered good BBQ? I went a couple weeks ago and it was meh to me. Thinking of going to Coopers in Llano instead.

Avoid Coopers in Llano unless you are going there to order the big chop or you want the free beans.

All you need to know is that they didn't even make the Top 50 Honorable Mentions. They may not even be the best BBQ in Llano anymore if you talk to people who live there.

Rudys is fine and has a time and place. As long as you don't go and expect craft BBQ you will be fine.

where do you live? i am sure you can get some good recs from people in this thread if you let us know!

On 8/19/2022 at 6:46 PM, dcbc said:

Even if it is the one in Longview on Mobberly, I'm not sure if it's worth a damn after Bryan left to start Sunbird.  When he was there, the brisket still was very good.  I didn't have it in the era when his predecessor, who now is at Franklin, turned that place around.  The chain locations near me are awful.

it's not worth your time.

when Jordan was there it was some of the best BBQ (including brisket) i have ever had.

it was still top 50 worthy after he left and Bryan took over.

if you want good BBQ in Longview, go to Sunbird.

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

beware of the cooper's in juncition. closest ive ever come to shitting my pants / shitting on the side of the road, about 15 mins after leaving that dump

next time go to Lums.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I don’t like Coopers worth a damn. It’s Hard 8 on a bad hair day, and I’m not big on H8.

Of course they have several types of brisket: dry, extra dry, and weezened up dry.

I went to Coopers back in the day when it was one of the best, and it was fantastic. Sad that it's gone so far downhill, but I guess that's the life cycle of Texas BBQ. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I went to Coopers back in the day when it was one of the best, and it was fantastic. Sad that it's gone so far downhill, but I guess that's the life cycle of Texas BBQ. 

Because back in the day, we didn't know the glorious heights bbq could reach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The usual decline of any barbecue joint starts with the decision to open a second location, and then another, and become a chain. Rudy’s has been able to maintain a reasonable level of quality; the world is littered with the Places selling shitcue.

I think the next one up in the batters box is Hurtado, who is taking on a very challenging location that was the post of an equally talented pitmaster with a smokin hot wife. His first store in downtown Arlington is in the heart of a revitalizing area and he is the big dog in the area that is somewhat lacking in dining. The new place is on the wrong side of Magnolia and Heim is the king in a more crowded area of eating places.
  • Like 2

The usual decline of any barbecue joint starts with the decision to open a second location, and then another, and become a chain. Rudy’s has been able to maintain a reasonable level of quality; the world is littered with the Places selling shitcue.

I think the next one up in the batters box is Hurtado, who is taking on a very challenging location that was the post of an equally talented pitmaster with a smokin hot wife. His first store in downtown Arlington is in the heart of a revitalizing area and he is the big dog in the area that is somewhat lacking in dining. The new place is on the wrong side of Magnolia and Heim is the king in a more crowded area of eating places.

Heim is the DFW poster child of expansion at the expense of quality. The one over here by Love Field is average at best. I go there only because it’s five mins from the house.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Lavaca BBQ in Port Lavaca is working on location #2 in Victoria. Pricing alone will kill them, Victoria is a cheap city. Victoria wants a $6 coupon for a chopped beef, bag of chips and a drink.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Speaking of, Killen’s is about to open a third (?) location in Cypress. I am not sure if Willow is the pitmaster, but if he is, it will not suck.

if that's how it works out, hiring willow will be a great move for killen. the pearland site serves a damn good lunch 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Heim is the DFW poster child of expansion at the expense of quality. The one over here by Love Field is average at best. I go there only because it’s five mins from the house.

Totally agree. Travis and his wife started in the backyard, then got a trailer, then a store, a dinner service, a liquor license. As these guys do a lot of business catering high society parties, corporate events, etc with big money in their ear about wanting to invest in them. It’s intoxicating. Sure I can helm an empire! But everything about the barbecue business works against profitability in food costs, labor, fuel, time. Backbreaking work. Got a line out the door and out of food? Come back tomorrow. Nobody showed up? Throw out a weeks profits. The whole business is fine lines. The stress just ran Derek Allan out of the business.

The investors come and the money allows owners to ease off the gas. Heim is one, pecan lodge another. But the pressures change. Where’s my money, pay me. Cheapen ingredients, longer hours, dependence on hired help, cutting corners, all of a sudden you’re headed down the path to mediocrity. Hurtado is next. Are the folks in the ears at Goldee’s? Five owners? That won’t end well.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The usual decline of any barbecue joint starts with the decision to open a second location

Trying to extend to dinner hours also seems to be a recipe for decline as well. Brett's in Katy is moving to a new location and plans to serve through dinner. I hope they can pull it off with a noticeable dip in quality, but I am not optimistic. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

It’s not bad and there is a certain kind of fondness for it because it has been consistent

I love Rudy's. I grew up not too far from the OG location in Leon Springs just outside SA. It is incredibly consistent across most -- if not all -- of the stores.

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Trying to extend to dinner hours also seems to be a recipe for decline as well. Brett's in Katy is moving to a new location and plans to serve through dinner. I hope they can pull it off with a noticeable dip in quality, but I am not optimistic. 

That's what killed Pecan Lodge IMO. I was glad to be able to get great BBQ at night but that's about when the quality began slipping. I also don't think Justin and Dianne spend much time there anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That's what killed Pecan Lodge IMO. I was glad to be able to get great BBQ at night but that's about when the quality began slipping. I also don't think Justin and Dianne spend much time there anymore.

doubled pit space + new pits (hard to get a handle on)

+ lease holders required them to have dinner service - which means more meat, which means it's easier to cut on ingredients/not just serve your A stuff

+ the quality of BBQ in Dallas started shooting through the roof soon after they moved

always wonder what would have happened if they were in a situation like Cattleack where they just were able to be consistent, serve when they want, tell people to F off and make bank on catering. their service at the farmers market was some of the best BBQ i had to date, and still is probably the best pulled pork i have ever had.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

doubled pit space + new pits (hard to get a handle on)

+ lease holders required them to have dinner service - which means more meat, which means it's easier to cut on ingredients/not just serve your A stuff

+ the quality of BBQ in Dallas started shooting through the roof soon after they moved

always wonder what would have happened if they were in a situation like Cattleack where they just were able to be consistent, serve when they want, tell people to F off and make bank on catering. their service at the farmers market was some of the best BBQ i had to date, and still is probably the best pulled pork i have ever had.

Pecan Lodge's "other" BBQ sauce is one of the best sauces I've ever had

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Totally agree. Travis and his wife started in the backyard, then got a trailer, then a store, a dinner service, a liquor license. As these guys do a lot of business catering high society parties, corporate events, etc with big money in their ear about wanting to invest in them. It’s intoxicating. Sure I can helm an empire! But everything about the barbecue business works against profitability in food costs, labor, fuel, time. Backbreaking work. Got a line out the door and out of food? Come back tomorrow. Nobody showed up? Throw out a weeks profits. The whole business is fine lines. The stress just ran Derek Allan out of the business.

The investors come and the money allows owners to ease off the gas. Heim is one, pecan lodge another. But the pressures change. Where’s my money, pay me. Cheapen ingredients, longer hours, dependence on hired help, cutting corners, all of a sudden you’re headed down the path to mediocrity. Hurtado is next. Are the folks in the ears at Goldee’s? Five owners? That won’t end well.

Outstanding explanation of a once small time pitmaster and his wife who did what most of us would have done if faced with the same offer vs. the backbreaking daily grind of trying to make a living/have a life outside the restaurant.  I will say that the Heim location on White Settlement has been consistently stellar every time I have been there, but you point is valid regarding the song of the siren (empire/$$$) and the lure of being able to not have to work the hours necessary to maintain a reputation that began when trying to be recognized in the first place. Hope you are proven wrong regarding Hurtado/Goldee's but history has proven you are probably correct here.

One thing has proven to be true-there is no shortage of upcoming hopefuls in the barbecue arena here in DFW and Texas.  As some of the formerly famous fade, new stars have their moment of recognition (still wish Goldee's had never been discovered by TM).

3 minutes ago, pch said:

One thing has proven to be true-there is no shortage of upcoming hopefuls in the barbecue arena here in DFW and Texas.  As some of the formerly famous fade, new stars have their moment of recognition (still wish Goldee's had never been discovered by TM).

those dudes had way too much experience at way too many super high profile places to be under the radar for long unfortunately haha

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pch said:

Outstanding explanation of a once small time pitmaster and his wife who did what most of us would have done if faced with the same offer vs. the backbreaking daily grind of trying to make a living/have a life outside the restaurant.  I will say that the Heim location on White Settlement has been consistently stellar every time I have been there, but you point is valid regarding the song of the siren (empire/$$$) and the lure of being able to not have to work the hours necessary to maintain a reputation that began when trying to be recognized in the first place. Hope you are proven wrong regarding Hurtado/Goldee's but history has proven you are probably correct here.

100% agree. I'll never begrudge anybody who gets into something to be more successful monetarily speaking.

Speaking of Goldee's, I only have met Lane and they seem to be young enough and perhaps naive enough to be in it only for the experience of making great 'cue. Maybe I'm wrong but I could see them content with what they've built with some minor tweaks. I would be surprised if they take the Heim track.

And you're not lying about upstarts taking their place. Heim left their first location and a better place sprang up in Panther City. There are studs down at Double and Triple A that are phenomenal pitmasters to take over when the (current) big guns sell out or bow out.

The only irreplaceable Texas pitmaster IMO struts her stuff on Saturdays in Lexington.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

August 23, 2022

La Barbecue manager and owner indicted on fraud charges

The owner of an East Austin restaurant and her manager have been indicted and summoned to appear in Travis County District Court for their alleged role in a $350,000 workers’ compensation fraud scheme.
Allison Clem, manager of la Barbecue, and her wife, LeAnn Mueller, who owns the food truck and restaurant are both ordered to appear in court September 28.
Back in 2016, an employee of the restaurant suffered severe injuries while operating a piece of kitchen equipment, and Clem and Mueller found out about the injury that day. Four days later, Clem contacted Paychex Insurance to get workers’ compensation coverage, something the restaurant had been without since November 2014.
According to a Fraud Unit investigation by the Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC), Clem did not disclose her employee’s injuries to the agent but asked that the new policy be backdated to July 1, 2016, three weeks before the employee was hurt. Mueller then submitted a signed application for coverage claiming the business had no prior losses and the policy was approved by Travelers Casualty Insurance Company of America.
When Travelers received the claim for the employee’s injury, they approved the claim and paid the injured employee more than $350,000 in medical and indemnity benefits. The insurance company is also responsible for lifetime care of the injured employee.
If found guilty in Travis County, Clem and Mueller, could be ordered to pay restitution plus double the amount Travelers has already paid in benefits to the injured worker.

Why didn’t the insurance company not find it suspicious that they wanted the start date pushed back? What would be the point other than to file a claim? I’m not defending la bbq, but the insurance co shares some liability for being incompetent.

4 minutes ago, tigol said:

Why didn’t the insurance company not find it suspicious that they wanted the start date pushed back? What would be the point other than to file a claim? I’m not defending la bbq, but the insurance co shares some liability for being incompetent.

Among possibly other things, the application requires specific disclosures of known claims.  So the insurance company asked the question and, if the allegations are true, they lied.  That said, it does seem odd to back date coverage date.  

I've seen insurance companies write policies from the first date of contact, but not back in time from there.  A friend bought a ski boat on a Friday and called his insurance agent to get it covered, the agent had already left the office, so they scheduled an appointment the following Monday.  He hauled the boat out to Lake Travis, and found out he hadn't correctly chained it to the trailer going up Tumbleweed Hill on 2222.  The clue was the boat sliding off the trailer and self-destroying itself while managing to miss all the vehicles coming up the hill behind him.  Insurance covered the loss.

1 hour ago, tigol said:

I'm a little surprised there wasn't more due diligence/investigative given the proximity of the purchasing of the policy and the reported loss. It's one thing if it's Tesla filing the claim with 100K+ employees. It's quite another when a La Barbecue with a half-dozen or so employees has this happen. 

57 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Among possibly other things, the application requires specific disclosures of known claims.  So the insurance company asked the question and, if the allegations are true, they lied.  That said, it does seem odd to back date coverage date.  

This is Travelers' -- and other carriers' -- get out of jail free card. If it is later proven that you've lied on the application for an insurance policy -- work comp, GL, property, life insurance, etc -- this situation can arise.

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've seen insurance companies write policies from the first date of contact, but not back in time from there.  A friend bought a ski boat on a Friday and called his insurance agent to get it covered, the agent had already left the office, so they scheduled an appointment the following Monday.  He hauled the boat out to Lake Travis, and found out he hadn't correctly chained it to the trailer going up Tumbleweed Hill on 2222.  The clue was the boat sliding off the trailer and self-destroying itself while managing to miss all the vehicles coming up the hill behind him.  Insurance covered the loss.

Depending on the coverage and carrier, you can backdate policies but you're required to sign "statement of no loss letters" or something similar. Again, CYA for the carrier.

If your buddy already had a watercraft policy in place, depending on the carrier and coverage there can be automatic coverage for newly acquired boats, especially if the new boat replaces one that was already insured.

39 minutes ago, stc said:

if you need to show there has been no lapsed coverage it's not uncommon for the insurance company to back date the policy. 

Yes, but you'll have to attest to no losses during the lapsed period of coverage.

In summation, Leanne, her wife and La Barbecue are turbo-fucked on this deal. Not sure about the former employee -- I'd be curious to see how that shakes out but I would guess they get to keep the $350K+ already paid out.