Texas BBQ

Washpark

I just can’t imagine bbq being any better. I present Truth BBQ, Houston Tx …..
918065A3-366F-4967-80F7-35BFB052DF40.thumb.jpeg.bf398aabbbcfca8e99527518b552efa2.jpeg

this is bbq perfection. The burnt end piece melted in my mouth. Y’all can argue who’s the 2nd best in the state all you want, but it doesn’t get any better than truth. 

cutter asked if I was friends with [mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] I said, never heard of that son of a bitch !
great cup of tea too. Unsweet with a shot of blackberry lemonade

That sounds made up.

Haha.
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's just now it's a lot closer to getting a sandwich or stuffed potato at a legit good BBQ place. And there's several in the area

Always was around here.  That's why I almost never go there versus getting a way better meal at Stanley's.

3 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Coopers in New Braunfels is just dreadful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all the Coopers Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que places suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck !

10 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

I was thinking about how dreadful that stretch of Hwy 46 is. Bill Miller. Rudy’s. Blacks. Coopers. And I saw a sign for a Hawaiian BBQ spot.

bill miller's - potato and sausage taco, get extra salsa.

On 9/8/2022 at 8:09 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

That sounds made up.

Haha.

give me heads up next time you go. im about 15 mins away 

I was thinking about how dreadful that stretch of Hwy 46 is. Bill Miller. Rudy’s. Blacks. Coopers. And I saw a sign for a Hawaiian BBQ spot.

Hawaiian BBQ is a Hawaiian plate meal with teriyaki chicken, kulala pork, rice and macaroni salad. Good stuff in its own right but don’t go thinking you’re trying Hawaiian style smoked bbq.

Hawaiian BBQ is a Hawaiian plate meal with teriyaki chicken, kulala pork, rice and macaroni salad. Good stuff in its own right but don’t go thinking you’re trying Hawaiian style smoked bbq.

We have a bunch of Hawaiian places with. Poke bowls and plate lunches. I’m ok with the typical proteins like teriyaki, Kalua pork. I hate their dogmatic adherence to rice and macaroni salad. I’d prefer some options for sides that are green or fruit; if you ask it’s the Hawaiian joint nazi practically telling you to leave. Uhh you might do more biz if you’d get your head out of your ass. Most places do shitty loco moco and I’ll pass on the mush I.

So in Seguin this week Monday Tuesday. Burnt Bean not open. 
HEB has one of their BBQ stores here. One of the new N Tex stores close to me will have one so thought I would scout it out. 
2 meat plate $15.49. Got sausage and burnt ends. (Upcharge on burnt ends. So more than listed price. Fair if you ask me). 
Sausage: good flavor but damn that casing was tough. Literally walked back to counter and got a knife. 
Burnt ends: 2 large pieces that were sitting in a bowl of sauce. Not as tender as I would like but not bad. Lots of bark on this.
Sides: Collard greens. A 3 year convert to these and I like theirs. Small cut and a decent amount of vinegar hot sauce. Beans were very good. 

A decent bargain at the price and on a scale probably 6.5-7.0. Not a high end BBQ but not priced like it either. 

B6335B32-266C-4EE0-849D-D892AF5EC4D7.jpeg

On 8/22/2022 at 9:00 PM, Texzilla58 said:

The usual decline of any barbecue joint starts with the decision to open a second location, and then another, and become a chain. Rudy’s has been able to maintain a reasonable level of quality; the world is littered with the Places selling shitcue.

I think the next one up in the batters box is Hurtado, who is taking on a very challenging location that was the post of an equally talented pitmaster with a smokin hot wife. His first store in downtown Arlington is in the heart of a revitalizing area and he is the big dog in the area that is somewhat lacking in dining. The new place is on the wrong side of Magnolia and Heim is the king in a more crowded area of eating places.

On 8/22/2022 at 10:43 PM, C-Man said:

Heim is the DFW poster child of expansion at the expense of quality. The one over here by Love Field is average at best. I go there only because it’s five mins from the house.

I feel like Pinkerton's has done well at both locations in terms of quality.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Smoke'N Ash BBQ in Arlington was recently named one of the top 50 restaurants in the US by the New York Times. It's apparently a BBQ-Ethiopian mash-up. It was one of two DFW-area restaurants to make NYT's Top 50 list.

https://www.smokenashbbq.net/

Daniel Vaughn did an extensive write-up in December 2021 as well.  

We're barbecue experts; we're not payroll experts," Black said

Smarmy little fuck. 

The repayment amounted to about 10% of what employees should have been paid originally under the updated federal guidelines, Black said.

So the employees lost out on 90% of money they were owed? Nice. 

Edited by Deej

Black’s (all locations) apparently stole tips from employees and gave it to managerial staff, then blamed their payroll processor. 

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2022/09/20/blacks-barbecue-tied-to-illegal-tip-sharing-by-federal-investigation/69506351007/

Hard 8 up here in Coppell had a similar — but much worse — situation up here. Think they grifted close to a $1M in employee tips. I’ll look for story.

Here it is: https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/hard-eight-bbq-says-tips-were-given-to-the-wrong-people-pays-868k-to-employees/2947810/?amp=1

Black’s (all locations) apparently stole tips from employees and gave it to managerial staff, then blamed their payroll processor. 

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2022/09/20/blacks-barbecue-tied-to-illegal-tip-sharing-by-federal-investigation/69506351007/

I hate this kind of bullshit. I am a generous tipper to the service provider. I don’t blame servers for kitchen fuckups and include the cost of comped items in my calves. I do not like tips being split between servers and other staff who are paid full hourly. And this kind of shit from Terry Black is inexcusable. I’m not looking to be financing his general labor costs for staff. The Feds should have forced full back pay with interest. I got plenty of places to eat bbq; I won’t darken his door.

23 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I hate this kind of bullshit. I am a generous tipper to the service provider. I don’t blame servers for kitchen fuckups and include the cost of comped items in my calves. I do not like tips being split between servers and other staff who are paid full hourly. And this kind of shit from Terry Black is inexcusable. I’m not looking to be financing his general labor costs for staff. The Feds should have forced full back pay with interest. I got plenty of places to eat bbq; I won’t darken his door.

I agree. But Terry Black’s wasn’t included in the tip theft (at least this time). 

12 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

How about Terry Blacks opening a new location in Lockhart?  I knew I had read that the owners of Terry Blacks and the original Blacks weren't social anymore but to think you open up a new location in Lockhart is pretty ballsy. 

i don't think any of the 3 parts of the family are social anymore - "Original" Blacks, Terry Blacks or Kent Blacks

23 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its hard finding legit black bbq these days. Browns, rudys, j leonardis, kinfolk, and distant relatives are all i can think of in centex

eddie murphy nodding.gif

23 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its hard finding legit black bbq these days. Browns, rudys, j leonardis, kinfolk, and distant relatives are all i can think of in centex

• Haha 1