Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

These guys look like they know what they're doing and the combinations offered insure my next trip to Austin will include a visit.  Is it take out only or seating available? Waiting is no problem as I am retired and have all the time necessary for places like this.  That said, what time would you suggest?  Thanks for your post.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, pch said:

These guys look like they know what they're doing and the combinations offered insure my next trip to Austin will include a visit.  Is it take out only or seating available? Waiting is no problem as I am retired and have all the time necessary for places like this.  That said, what time would you suggest?  Thanks for your post.

They were featured on the latest season of that BBQ show on Hulu hosted by that blonde woman. Can't remember the name of the show. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Church's Chicken wants $22.99 for an 8 piece box of chicken. Shit is fucked up. 

GTFO!!!! Fried yardbird is not filet mignon and that is price gouging at it's finest.  Hopefully the market will rebel and ignore this horseshit pricing.

2 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Terry Black's (Dallas location) still fucks 

44D568CE-7C50-4BCD-8878-F79809A61E8E.jpeg

I'm going to assume that the tray on the right is not loaded with sides and this depicts a total expert move of getting the beef rib and eschewing sides.  You probably were able to walk out under your own power and everything.

46 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I'm going to assume that the tray on the right is not loaded with sides and this depicts a total expert move of getting the beef rib and eschewing sides.  You probably were able to walk out under your own power and everything.

If someone had a wheel barrow to lug my ass back to my truck that would've been handy 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, pch said:

they do.

McGhee was at Freedmens, then Stiles Switch, then The Switch in Dripping Springs. For some reason I think he was somewhere else also but can't remember where.

Spence worked at la Barbecue w/ John Lewis back in the day, Freedmens and The Switch.

they are one of the top places I want to go in Austin next time I am in town, just haven't been able to make it work. Radio is a cool spot, worth your time

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Good friend is in charge of the Troudadour festivals. Hope you had a great time (I hate country music with a passion, but good eats at least). 

thanks for the Surly hookup man! haha

but really, i know a handful of folks who work the events. they keep coming back and enjoy it. congrats to him!

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/14/2022 at 11:25 PM, Hermanator said:

What was Terry Black supposed to pay his mother?

I don't know, but the Kent and the other Blacks were supposed to pay their staff, but instead stole hundreds of thousands of dollars of tips and paid them to managers, so, all in all, it's probably a wash. 

19 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Good friend is in charge of the Troudadour festivals. Hope you had a great time (I hate country music with a passion, but good eats at least). 

No, Chase treated me awful constantly reminding me about that OU loss to Texas the weekend before.  Brutal. 

Edited by DallasSooner

1 hour ago, Native Horn said:

So both of you both go to HEB, but you hang out and drink beer while she shops?  I mean kinda solid, but why not just stay home?

I just found out they have $2 beers on Tuesdays and only went to the HEB to get tortillas and try the BBQ. 

But I could see going to get a few groceries and we both stop off for a $2 beer on the way out.

• Hook 'Em 1

Typically a big fan of Guess BBQ in Waco. Went in yesterday and the food and service were not good. Took forever to get the food and it was cold when they brought it to the table. They weren’t busy at all, not sure why the slow service. Hopefully it was just a one off.

On 6/25/2022 at 1:22 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Went on a barbecue run this morning - wanted to try something new to me in Austin.  Decided to try J. Leonardi's Barbecue on 11th.  Drive past Franklin and see a nice respectable line.  Missed J. Leonardi's on the first pass, then noticed no line, no waiting at Micklethwait's.  Stop at Micklethwait's and pick-up a 3 meat plate with moist brisket, pulled lamb, barbacoa, jalapeno cheese grits, and gouda smoked mac & cheese.  Drove back to J. Leonard's to find out they are closed until further notice.  Damn, I wanted to try something new.

Decided to head to Moreno's BBQ on Mechacha.  Sliced brisket taco, sliced pork belly taco with slaw, loaded baked potato with chopped brisket, banana pudding, shortbread chocolate cookies, and an Arnold Palmer.

No pictures because I got everything to-go.  Micklethwait's has never disappointed me.  Everything was spot on.  Very pleased with Moreno's as well.  Brisket taco with serrano salsa was awesome as was the pork belly taco.  Taco's are a perfect vehicle to sample different meats without purchasing by the pound.  Akaushi  Wagyu brisket was $32/pound and the Duroc pork belly was $25/pound.  Quarter pound of each on the tacos were the same price, $8 and $6.50 respectively, and you get homemade tortillas.  Haven't tried the desserts yet.  Need to save some room for a brisket taco from Valentina's tonight at the Austin FC game.

ETA:  Shortbread chocolate chip cookies are incredible. 

You stopped at all these places on one trip??

Are you like a great big fat person?

14 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

You stopped at all these places on one trip??

Are you like a great big fat person?

I mentioned four places but only visited two.  Most of the Micklethwait meal was taken home for later.  I did eat at Moreno's.  I'm not a great big fat person, but I ain't a little fella either.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I mentioned four places but only visited two.  Most of the Micklethwait meal was taken home for later.  I did eat at Moreno's.  I'm not a great big fat person, but I ain't a little fella either.

Just being a curious smart-ass, hell I gained 15lbs and got indigestion just reading that post