2022 Starting QB bet

immamac

13 hours ago, victory88 said:

Casey is okay.  If he had Bama talent around him, Casey would be decent.  The problem is, this offense fucking sucks outside of Bijan and Worthy.  Whittington can’t stay healthy so he’s basically useless every season.  This staff needs a fucking difference maker at QB that can hit wide open WRs which neither Card or Hudson can do consistently.  They need a QB that can be a fucking alpha this team can rally around.  If I’m betting, I’m also betting Sark and company will be raiding the fucking portal to get anyone that can run a route and fucking catch.  It’s absolute embarrassing that this WR crops drops balls that hit them in the fucking hands all season consistently.  While in the portal, get some bigger fucking lineman.  All of Majors, Karic, and Kerstetter are small as fuck.  None of them can move the DL in this big 12.  They can’t do shit.  Bottom of the Pack SEC teams completely whipped us.  They need to completely change how we recruit OL.  Outside of Christian Jones and Hayden Connor, none of these other guys have true size with even remote average play.  Okafor and Imade look like Tarzan and play like Jane.  Tyler Johnson should just quit football all together.  We need bodies at this position to create competition.  

So yeah, I fully expect the coaches to start completely new players at key positions next year because the current talent is fucking bad and the coaches know it.

An absolutely fantastic contradiction within the first 5 sentences. Casey is OK and would be good with talent around him, but he can't hit wide-open WRs. Got it. 

11 hours ago, hookem48 said:

If Card doesn't play the rest of the year why would he stay? He beat out Casey and got pulled at the first sign of trouble. It wouldn't mean shit to beat him out again.

Card looks like a guy that excels in camps and 7 on 7.  He's played what, 1 year of varsity football as a QB?  Just from my eyes, his body language tells me he's not a guy that is going to motivate the team to fight it out in tough games.  He's a quiet kid that barely talks.  During that Arkansas game, he would just go to the bench and sit quietly.  I also saw a QB that was completely flustered while under pressure.  The reason the coaches are starting Casey is because he at least commands some respect from the team as a "leader" and I use that word loosely with him.  Don't get him confused with Sam, Colt, or VY when it comes to leading a team.  He's also starting because when the OL completely whiffs on their blocks, he can at least improvise a little and get the ball out.  Card can't do that right now and it's yet to be seen if he can do it at all.  Putting Card behind this OL will completely kill his confidence.  As a QB, you either have it... or you don't.  I personally think neither is the answer for next season.  We're going to need to get a QB that can hit open WRs and we're going to need WRs that can catch the fucking ball when it hits their hands.  And worst of all, we need a fucking OL that can get a push and understands not to let defenders run through them untouched.  Every week, we have to scheme around our 275 lb center that cannot handle a fucking any NT north of 300lbs.  Just a team full of pussies.  At some point, fuck the schemes... these players need to look at themselves and ask themselves what the fuck are THEY going to do about getting embarrassed every week.  They can either start opting out like I expect them to, or they can nut up and try to show some fucking balls the rest of the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

An absolutely fantastic contradiction within the first 5 sentences. Casey is OK and would be good with talent around him, but he can't hit wide-open WRs. Got it. 

He misses a few throws but if we had good talent, we wouldn't be seeing 5 drops a fucking game.  Casey is inconsistent with his deep throws but he has been hitting more than he misses.  I'm not contraindicating myself.  Casey wins 10 games with Bama talent but he needs teammates to help him out, we don't have that.  We need a QB that is going to say, fuck this shit, I don't need you guys, I got this shit by myself.  Basically what Sam did the last 4 years.  

11 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He misses a few throws but if we had good talent, we wouldn't be seeing 5 drops a fucking game.  Casey is inconsistent with his deep throws but he has been hitting more than he misses.  I'm not contraindicating myself.  Casey wins 10 games with Bama talent but he needs teammates to help him out, we don't have that.  We need a QB that is going to say, fuck this shit, I don't need you guys, I got this shit by myself.  Basically what Sam did the last 4 years.  

And the coach of Sam got fired. (Not because of Sam, of course.)

It's football.  Players are a requirement.  QB is a requirement, but a QB can't QB without an OL giving receivers time to get into a route and a QB to step into a throw... ESPECIALLY if the OC/QB Coach (who is also the HC) wants a pocket QB and doesn't do a lot of moving/rolling/boot legging to give plays time to develop.

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

A better QB makes the OL look less shitty than they are. Clemson hasn't sent dick into the NFL, but they had explosive offenses due to their elite QB play. It's amazing that people don't understand how a good QB makes the entire offense look much better.

Very few OLs are going to give the 5+ seconds needed for Casey Thompson to process what is going on. Shit, if Thompson had been able to execute the same read he had on Moore's TD, he would have had Moore with  walk in TD and a 21-10 lead. The 2 drops everyone is talking about pale in comparison to the layup TD Casey missed to Worthy, because of his shitty footwork leading to him throwing a fade away jumper of a pass.

You didn't need an elite OL to put those 2 TDs on the board, but you did need a good QB.

Casey had plenty of time against Baylor to throw for over 400 yards.

All of this. Plenty of fetishists worship at the idea of offensive line being some be all end all position, but it's really just a differentiator between otherwise sound and excellent teams.  Mike Leach, Greg Davis and a billion other people have shown that you can make chicken salad out of chicken shit offensively as it pertains to the line if your QB play is good enough. Now, you have to have a sharp QB with a lot of talent that can process shit quickly and a coach that can scheme them up.  We have 1/2 that as even the biggest complainers about Sark should recognize that the guy is an elite level offensive mind. If the QB-ing was good or even at a David Ash level we'd be bitching about shit offensive line play only when we get our shit pushed in by elite teams while we go 10-2, 11-1 in this conference.  
QB is the #1 need in the portal. You get a decent one of those that can just take the free candy Sark schemes for them, pair them with Bijan, Worthy and a couple of WR'ers that won't be terrible I'm sure from this recruiting class and the portal, and the offense is going to be just freaking fine.  

13 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

A better QB makes the OL look less shitty than they are. Clemson hasn't sent dick into the NFL, but they had explosive offenses due to their elite QB play. It's amazing that people don't understand how a good QB makes the entire offense look much better.

Very few OLs are going to give the 5+ seconds needed for Casey Thompson to process what is going on. Shit, if Thompson had been able to execute the same read he had on Moore's TD, he would have had Moore with  walk in TD and a 21-10 lead. The 2 drops everyone is talking about pale in comparison to the layup TD Casey missed to Worthy, because of his shitty footwork leading to him throwing a fade away jumper of a pass.

You didn't need an elite OL to put those 2 TDs on the board, but you did need a good QB.

It’s funny how the opposite is also true and quite frankly more important imo than the QB. An elite OL controls the game, and you can do almost whatever you want whenever you want. And that can be seen in college or the NFL. 

but that really ain’t the argument here. The question is whether a QB will transfer in and be the starter. And from my standpoint, looking at the offense, I can’t see a QB wanting to come here, having to compete against at minimum 2 guys already in the program, and playing behind an OL that is not good. There’s no way to sugarcoat that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So I haven't been keeping up with roster rules with the portal and covid years and stuff. How big of a class could we legally take in one year and how long to turn over the roster ala Saban's early Alabama years? Can Sark hand out medicals and transfer letters of recommendation all willy nilly, or are we stuck at 25-28 kids per year? 

2 hours ago, taybo20 said:

It’s funny how the opposite is also true and quite frankly more important imo than the QB. An elite OL controls the game, and you can do almost whatever you want whenever you want. And that can be seen in college or the NFL. 

but that really ain’t the argument here. The question is whether a QB will transfer in and be the starter. And from my standpoint, looking at the offense, I can’t see a QB wanting to come here, having to compete against at minimum 2 guys already in the program, and playing behind an OL that is not good. There’s no way to sugarcoat that. 

So you assume both QBs will come back and we won’t add any transfers on the OL? Those are certainly interesting assumptions to make. 

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So you assume both QBs will come back and we won’t add any transfers on the OL? Those are certainly interesting assumptions to make. 

The assumption that any transfers to the OL will make them better isn't necessarily wrong, but it isn't right either. There is no way to know. We had transfers come in on defense this year, haven't really been great have they. But losing QBs to gain a QB? That just sounds like it isn't going to work out. So maybe we lose 1? Maybe...and then one comes in. Doesn't mean they are better than what left, nor does it mean they are better than what is here. It would be great if we could get that guy, but I'm gonna be pessimistic that we find another Joe Burrow out there.

6 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

The assumption that any transfers to the OL will make them better isn't necessarily wrong, but it isn't right either. There is no way to know. We had transfers come in on defense this year, haven't really been great have they. But losing QBs to gain a QB? That just sounds like it isn't going to work out. So maybe we lose 1? Maybe...and then one comes in. Doesn't mean they are better than what left, nor does it mean they are better than what is here. It would be great if we could get that guy, but I'm gonna be pessimistic that we find another Joe Burrow out there.

There’s a Grand Canyon-sized gap between Joe Burrow and better than our current QBs, but sure. 

6 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

This is Texas Football. If/when Card and Thompson transfer they’ll probably end up on a team we’ll have to play somehow in the regular season or a bowl game and they’ll torch us for the best game of their career.

They are both going to Utah.  Not on the schedule in regular season, but hey, bowl?

5 hours ago, victory88 said:

Card looks like a guy that excels in camps and 7 on 7.  He's played what, 1 year of varsity football as a QB?  Just from my eyes, his body language tells me he's not a guy that is going to motivate the team to fight it out in tough games.  He's a quiet kid that barely talks.  During that Arkansas game, he would just go to the bench and sit quietly.  I also saw a QB that was completely flustered while under pressure.  The reason the coaches are starting Casey is because he at least commands some respect from the team as a "leader" and I use that word loosely with him.  Don't get him confused with Sam, Colt, or VY when it comes to leading a team.  He's also starting because when the OL completely whiffs on their blocks, he can at least improvise a little and get the ball out.  Card can't do that right now and it's yet to be seen if he can do it at all.  Putting Card behind this OL will completely kill his confidence.  As a QB, you either have it... or you don't.  I personally think neither is the answer for next season.  We're going to need to get a QB that can hit open WRs and we're going to need WRs that can catch the fucking ball when it hits their hands.  And worst of all, we need a fucking OL that can get a push and understands not to let defenders run through them untouched.  Every week, we have to scheme around our 275 lb center that cannot handle a fucking any NT north of 300lbs.  Just a team full of pussies.  At some point, fuck the schemes... these players need to look at themselves and ask themselves what the fuck are THEY going to do about getting embarrassed every week.  They can either start opting out like I expect them to, or they can nut up and try to show some fucking balls the rest of the season.

If Texas had Bama's OL., Card maybe up for the Heisman. He has the talent and the most on the current roster by a large margin. The issue is Texas does not have an OL that can protect for 5 seconds, so there really is no reason to talk about how Card or Casey will look in a perfect situation. Playing behind Bama's line is almost like playing 7 on 7 for 80% of the season. Casey had time to throw for 400 plus yards vs Baylor. This is one of my favorite stats:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

You will see the Zack Wilson is the slowest NFL QB to get the ball out with an average of 3.1 seconds. Rothlesberger and Brady are 2.5 or lower. That is what a good QB does. He sees the field and delivers the ball inside of 3 seconds. I have my doubts that Casey or Card are capable of that. My issue with Casey is his arm, so no matter what he is going to be limited. IF he makes a massive jump in accuracy and anticipation, he could be successful, but he would need to be elite in those areas. I doubt that happens. So right now Texas is stuck between a limited QB and Adonis in shorts. Maybe one of them takes a major step, but the OL is not going to get close to Bama by next year, so finding a QB that doesnt get stuck on his first read and gets the ball out decisively is probably the easiest way to improve the  offense. Its that or find a 3-4 OL in the portal that are ALL Big 12 caliber, I would think the lottery would offer similar odds for success

Edited by Codaxx

8 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I'm loving y'all talking yourselves into Ewers in real time.

How dare you. I would never want a QB who has the nerve to use Ohio State supporters for their hard earned $$ then come back to his home state after the checks cleared.

On 11/2/2021 at 6:23 AM, Sgt Hulk said:

Guys.   I had a dream last night. I dreamt I was a dove flying over the sea. And then I dove into the ocean... And I swam with the dolphins. I was two animals joined as one... which meant - good things are coming. Good things.

Wow..... where do you get your weed?

• Haha 2

On 11/1/2021 at 10:38 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

I really can’t imagine rooting for Spencer Rattler. That might be the only thing that could make IT football even less fun. Rattler it is I guess. 

you're looking at it wrong.

Rattler throws a TD - celebrate!

Rattler gets sacked - celebrate!

Rattler throws 40 yard post - celebrate!

Rattler gets vicious late hit while OL stands around and watches - celebrate!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not to advocate for the devil, but to my never played QB or been a coach but watched a lot football eyes..

Casey misses things on the field like most college QB's, but seems to read things better than the Indianopolis Colts of the NFL's 2nd string QB...and doesnt overthrow deep balls as often. #notSambashing

10 minutes ago, ousux said:

Not to advocate for the devil, but to my never played QB or been a coach but watched a lot football eyes..

Casey misses things on the field like most college QB's, but seems to read things better than the Indianopolis Colts of the NFL's 2nd string QB...and doesnt overthrow deep balls as often. #notSambashing

All good. 
Casey QBR- 61.3 (8th in the Big 12. Keep in mind the highest QBR current in the Big 12 is Bohanon at 75.6, so 8th in a bad QB year)

SAM- 2020 - 76.6 (3rd in Big 12)

2019- 77.6 (2nd Big 12)

2018- 77.3 (4th in Big 12)

I would say the current offense is a lot more friendly for a QB. Sark seems to get Casey 2-4 deep shots with wide open WRs a game. 

Casey's QB efficient rating by Quarter

Q1- 222.1
Q2- 135.5
Q3- 162.6
Q4- 137.4

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Fun bet. Does anyone remember when people on this forum were worried about Thompson's draft status affecting our future QB depth chart? I remember.

Hahahaha. Me too. 

I didn't realize this was a thread. Good shit. 

My logic is simple. Major Appleblack isn't going to cut it at QB and Sarkisian knows that better than anyone. He's all he's got right now, but that is going to be a prioritized change heading into the spring. The staff doesn't think House of Cards has the stones. It ain't going to be Wright or Lourd next season. 

The staff is going to add between 35 and 40 new players this offseason between transfers and recruiting. Yes, you read those numbers. There will be at least 15 guys heading for the door that aren't seniors, and it might be as many as 20. 

One of those players is going to be a transfer QB and a potential windfall to the program. One of those guys is Maalik Murphy and one of those others might be Devin Brown from Utah. 

I will take my chances on one of those 3 guys being the guy versus anyone on campus on right now. Some might shit themselves about Murphy, and fine, I also seriously doubt its him, but they're going to have a player at QB who can make all of the throws, and quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, taybo20 said:

The question is whether a QB will transfer in and be the starter. And from my standpoint, looking at the offense, I can’t see a QB wanting to come here, having to compete against at minimum 2 guys already in the program, and playing behind an OL that is not good. There’s no way to sugarcoat that. 

you just have to hope that some of these 5 star QBs are built different and think they can immediately come in and fix everything.  gotta play on the egos.

as bad as our OL is, we still put up points, and we'd have more with a more accurate QB.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

The staff is going to add between 35 and 40 new players this offseason between transfers and recruiting. Yes, you read those numbers. There will be at least 15 guys heading for the door that aren't seniors, and it might be as many as 20. 

I'm feeling flush.

This is Sark's year to churn. He didn't recruit any of the guys on the roster, so he can talk shit about them to potential transfers.

20 hours ago, taybo20 said:

fce177f9-24d8-4eb6-9a64-d4bfd7a9a696_tex

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hahahaha. Me too. 

My logic is simple. Major Appleblack isn't going to cut it at QB and Sarkisian knows that better than anyone. He's all he's got right now, but that is going to be a prioritized change heading into the spring. The staff doesn't think House of Cards has the stones. It ain't going to be Wright or Lourd next season. 

One of those players is going to be a transfer QB and a potential windfall to the program. One of those guys is Maalik Murphy and one of those others might be Devin Brown from Utah. 

I will take my chances on one of those 3 guys being the guy versus anyone on campus on right now. Some might shit themselves about Murphy, and fine, I also seriously doubt its him, but they're going to have a player at QB who can make all of the throws, and quickly. 

I had lost all of the Kool Aid high, but if that happens it maybe back. That would mean they actually get it and are trying to fix shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:

JFC this is an idiotic take. Sam is significantly better than Casey and would’ve looked much better in Sark’s offense.

Sam just won an NFL backup job in his rookie year. Casey will be lucky to ever sniff an NFL practice squad. 

• Like 2

JFC this is an idiotic take. Sam is significantly better than Casey and would’ve looked much better in Sark’s offense.

Sam just won an NFL backup job in his rookie year. Casey will be lucky to ever sniff an NFL practice squad. 
You're right Casey may never win an NFL roster spot, (didn't many of us predict Mayfield and Murray would wash out due to their lack of size and game not translating well to the NFL?) but am I wrong in saying we took some L's and needed heroic 4th quarter comebacks often because Sam was throwing behind receivers, not putting any touch on deep balls or staring down his first read and then immediately tucking to run if that guy was covered? We're talking about his first year as full starter..just like Casey is this year.

Once again, not bashing Sam..just saying Casey isn't as awful as many here make him out to be. I can't think of a single L this year that's all on Casey..losing has been a team effort..with a little nudge from the zebras when the opposing team tried to lose to us.

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

For up to seven spots, and after that it's back to the previous 25 man counter rule 

Caught up on why I got tagged (est 35-40 new players). I think we have a spot or two left over that will go to next year, which puts us at 33-34 new scholarship players. I bet the two special teams recruits walk-on for a year (after they've been on campus for a year, they can be put on scholarship without counting against the 25), which puts us at room for 35-36. I'm sure a couple of lower rated players aside from the special teams guys will be announced with the class but will walk-on for a year while getting tuition payed for under the table for through NIL (Bama has been doing this for a few years now). Once the 85 is filled and the number of walk-ons starts to add up, the number to watch is the 105 players max you're allowed to carry during the offseason. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ousux said:

You're right Casey may never win an NFL roster spot, (didn't many of us predict Mayfield and Murray would wash out due to their lack of size and game not translating well to the NFL?) but am I wrong in saying we took some L's and needed heroic 4th quarter comebacks often because Sam was throwing behind receivers, not putting any touch on deep balls or staring down his first read and then immediately tucking to run if that guy was covered? We're talking about his first year as full starter..just like Casey is this year.

Once again, not bashing Sam..just saying Casey isn't as awful as many here make him out to be. I can't think of a single L this year that's all on Casey..losing has been a team effort..with a little nudge from the zebras when the opposing team tried to lose to us.

I dont really get the 1st year thing. There is a difference between a true freshmen and kid in his 4th year at the program. No game is specifically on a player. Worst QBR in a game this year? 

Casey vs OSU- 11.3

Card vs Ark - 13.5

yeah, it was that bad. 

4 minutes ago, ousux said:

We beat a TCU team missing about a third of its starters despite Casey's shitty play. We beat OSU if he doesn't throw the pick-six. He's missed open deep balls in each loss that he started. He doesn't see guys who are open all over the field because he locks onto one player before the snap, and doesn't find other players unless he bails from the pocket and runs around, which defeats the purpose of Sark's offense which schemes guys open all over the field that a decent pocket passer with a decent arm should be able to find in his sleep. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 11/2/2021 at 8:25 AM, GTX Horn said:

This is Texas Football. If/when Card and Thompson transfer they’ll probably end up on a team we’ll have to play somehow in the regular season or a bowl game and they’ll torch us for the best game of their career.

I don't think we are in Utah's league to even face them in a bowl game :(

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, ousux said:

Sam was better in 2018 than Casey’s been this year, and that was Sam in Year 2 versus Casey in Year 4. You’re also failing to take into account that Sam had to play in Herman’s shitty system while Casey gets the benefit of playing under Sark. Casey has had a ton of open deep balls he’s either not able to throw accurately or just never sees. He’s been way worse in that category than Sam was. 

Casey missed at least 4 open deep balls in the Baylor game alone. He killed us in the OSU game, and he was absolutely horrible against TCU and Bijan barely saved us from losing due to him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ousux said:

not even close to the same offense and Casey doesn't have to be our leading rusher.

We beat a TCU team missing about a third of its starters despite Casey's shitty play. We beat OSU if he doesn't throw the pick-six. He's missed open deep balls in each loss that he started. He doesn't see guys who are open all over the field because he locks onto one player before the snap, and doesn't find other players unless he bails from the pocket and runs around, which defeats the purpose of Sark's offense which schemes guys open all over the field that a decent pocket passer with a decent arm should be able to find in his sleep. 
I mean sure..if you dont factor in an O-line that often cant even give Casey 2 seconds, or give the best running back in CFB at least a step before he's met with half the defense. Not sure Tom Brady would have a lot of success with zero pocket on most passing downs and receivers who run poor routes and cant catch balls that hit them in the hands. Give Casey a better supporting cast and he could at least be Jalen Hurts..with less arm strength.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Hahahaha. Me too. 

seems like a lot of effort to win 7 games - dcar

Edited by hookem48
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, ousux said:
11 minutes ago, Fud said:

I mean sure..if you dont factor in an O-line that often cant even give Casey 2 seconds, or give the best running back in CFB at least a step before he's met with half the defense. Not sure Tom Brady would have a lot of success with zero pocket on most passing downs and receivers who run poor routes and cant catch balls that hit them in the hands. Give Casey a better supporting cast and he could at least be Jalen Hurts..with less arm strength.

He's missed quite a few routine open deep balls when he had time to make the throw, which would have broken those games open. He's also thrown some terrible interceptions when he had the option to not throw the terrible interceptions. He also at times misses seeing receivers breaking open on shorter routes

I'm not sure why he's comparable to Hurts considering he's not nearly the athlete 

We have other issue outside of Casey, but that doesn't excuse Casey's at times poor play. I think there are quite a few QBs out there who'd have this team at a better record. 

7 minutes ago, ousux said:
18 minutes ago, Fud said:

Lol wut. You’re really exaggerating the state of our current offense. We might have the best two skill players in the whole country and we have a couch who schemes a lot of open throws for Casey. Our O has issues, but they’re not near as bad as you’re making them out to be. 

and your comparison…good Lord. Casey has a noodle arm, Hurts has a cannon and Hurts is an elite runner with the size to carry it 15+ times per game. The two are not similar.