Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

I take it as a good sign that Sanders is already on ESPN for his insane TD catch.  Many of the current players can’t claim that honor.  Don’t lose that guy.  Sark needs to make sure he sticks.

I’m just going to take a wild guess that any recruit who signed up to play for Texas is a Texas guy, not a Tom Herman/staff guy.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Mischaracterization of Carrington's role aside, I don't think this is quite true. Some (most?) of the new assistants were competent enough and knew to treat the players like adults, and they responded appropriately. I've seen a few players advocate for the defensive staff.

Heyyyy! Welcome back homie! 

• Hook 'Em 1

LJ Johnson would be a huge first pickup for Sark. I hope he's able to have a good convo with him in a couple weeks because we need depth at RB and aggy fans seem to be content with the RB's on their roster already. I think Sark can get LJ if he sells the "you'll play right away" message correctly

Edited by perfectchaos007

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

LJ Johnson would be a huge first pickup for Sark. I hope he's able to have a good convo with him in a couple weeks because we need depth at RB and aggy fans seem to be content with the RB's on their roster already. I think Sark can get LJ if he sells the "you'll play right away" message correctly

I'd say we have a nearly identical RB situation to aggy in terms of having a good 1st and 2nd string of a junior and a sophomore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I really hope Sark pushes for better facilities in his tenure. We infamously improved our locker-rooms under Herman, but training facilities need a major overhaul or we'll lose several recruits to programs with newer/shinier facilities in the coming years.

The bubble and the baseball facilities are both an embarrassment for a school like UT but might have to wait a bit as the SEZ and Moody Center (and I guess the new tennis facilities) get built.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I really hope Sark pushes for better facilities in his tenure. We infamously improved our locker-rooms under Herman, but training facilities need a major overhaul or we'll lose several recruits to programs with newer/shinier facilities in the coming years.

Shirley, you can't be serious.

What do you think all that activity on the southern end of the stadium has been the last two seasons?

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The bubble and the baseball facilities are both an embarrassment for a school like UT but might have to wait a bit as the SEZ and Moody Center get built.

Baseball just received a fantastic facelift. They just need to go back to grass on the field.

Edited by MuellerHorn

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Was pointing more towards our "bubble" and the practice facilities but yes the new endzone skyboxes look nice

Underneath and behind the seats are going to be the new locker room, training facilities, offices, etc.

Yes, the bubble needs an upgrade, but everything else is going to be brand spanking new.

• Hook 'Em 3

Well after a 2 month or so foray onto the football board my IQ is definitely reduced....anyway...Sark has some solid potential.....he kind of reminds me of a low floor high ceiling recruit....He could fail spectacularly if things go badly but could be amazing....beats Herman or a high floor liw ceiling guy like campbell..

21 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Baseball just received a fantastic facelift. They just need to go back to grass on the field.

The baseball facilities got a facelift but they are not competitive with the top facilities. Places like Arkansas, Miss State, Vandy,  are still MILES and MILES ahead. Not even close. LSU, Wake, TCU, Ole Miss are all much better as well. 

it’s an absolute embarrassment at Texas and CDC isn’t going to have any support from the guys who did help get the baseball and softball upgrades done. 

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

The baseball facilities got a facelift but they are not competitive with the top facilities. Places like Arkansas, Miss State, Vandy,  are still MILES and MILES ahead. Not even close. LSU, Wake, TCU, Ole Miss are all much better as well. 

it’s an absolute embarrassment at Texas and CDC isn’t going to have any support from the guys who did help get the baseball and softball upgrades done. 

Why not?

Roach on potential hires recruiting impact (no I don't think he knows shit but more names at least)

Spoiler

It's a new day for the Texas program.

With the announcement of Steve Sarkisian as the next Texas head coach, the biggest question is what his staff might look like. As we've learned with new hires, getting the initial staff correct is one of the biggest factors for success.

At Texas, a coach should have the resources to hire a staff that can both recruit and develop talent at an elite level. In the coming days, we will keep our readers up to date on any breaking staff news.

Still, we've been working the phones to find out who has ties to Sarkisian, who could help improve recruiting in the state of Texas and what some off the field hires could be.

In this week's first edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we look at potential staff hires for Texas and how they might impact the recruiting scene.

QUARTERBACKS

AJ Milwee, OC – Arkansas State

This is a name we are hearing a lot about. Sarkisian is a quarterback developer, so I trust him to hand pick a quarterback coach who can communicate his messages clearly and Milwee appears to be that guy. A former analyst at Alabama, and coordinator at Akron, he spent time at East Mississippi Community College before coordinating the Zips. Milwee joined former Bama analyst Butch Jones at Arkansas State last week, but quarterbacks at Texas would be a bigger career move. I haven’t heard much on him as a recruiter, but I’d want Sarkisian to have his guy in this role.

RUNNING BACKS

Stan Drayton

Drayton has been among the most consistent coaches and recruiters on staff since arriving in Austin. He landed players like Bijan Robinson and Keaontay Ingram, and he has Texas in the hunt for LJ Johnson in 2021 and Jaydon Blue in 2022. Drayton previously turned down NFL opportunities to remain with Texas during the 2020 season. If Sarkisian wanted to keep any staff continuity, Drayton is the guy I’d look at on the offensive side of the ball.

Mike Jinks, USC

If Sarkisian wants to add some Texas ties to his staff, Jinks would be a good starting point. A former Converse Judson star who went on to play quarterback at San Angelo State. Following a successful high school run that culminated with multiple state titles at Cibolo Steele, Jinks served as the running backs coach at Texas Tech for three years. Jinks went on to be named the head coach at Bowling Green for three years before being removed. He arrived at USC to work for Graham Harrell in 2019 and served on staff this year as well. He’s been a solid recruiter at USC and has many ties to the high school coaches in this state.  He was also pivotal in USC's recruitment of Bijan Robinson and knows him well.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Kyle Flood, Alabama

Flood is thought of as the top choice right now. It would probably take a coordinator tag to get him to leave Alabama, but we’ve heard there’s some interest there. Flood bounced around the northeast for most of the 90’s before landing at Rutgers in 2005. Flood moved his way up and was eventually named head coach in 2012 before being fired and replaced by Chris Ash in 2015. After two years working for the Atlanta Falcons, Flood found his way to Bama. His recruiting rap sheet speaks for itself while with the Crimson Tide, but I was reminded today that Alabama recruits itself. Technically, Flood has been applauded for the way he teaches the game, and adding a former head coach would bolster the experience in the room for Sarkisian.

Brad Davis, Arkansas

Sam Pittman was regarded as the best offensive line coach in the country before taking the Arkansas job, so it’s important to look at who he chose to be his offensive line coach when he got the chance. A graduate of Oklahoma, Davis was part of Oklahoma’s 2000 national championship team. His coaching career began in high school at Southern University Lab in Baton Rouge, and he spent time as a graduate assistant at Wayne State, Texas A&M and North Carolina. After serving at low level programs Portland State, James Madison, East Carolina and North Texas as an offensive line coach and coordinator, Davis moved on to Florida before spending the last two years at Missouri. Davis played for Pittman at Oklahoma and served under him as a graduate assistant. He’s been a strong recruiter over his time at the power five level, but his current salary of $550,000 would take a lot to top.

Adrian Klemm, Pittsburgh Steelers

Klemm is a name I heard today as one to keep an eye on. He’s currently with the Steelers in the NFL, but the former Pac-12 recruiter of the year has legitimate chops as a recruiter and coach. After playing at Hawaii under June Jones, Klemm won three Super Bowls with the New England Patriots and finishing his career with the Packers. Klemm went right into coaching in 2008 as a member of Jones’ SMU squad. Following two years with the Mustangs, Klemm joined UCLA’s staff under Jim Mora Jr. Klemm did get into some trouble at UCLA and was hit with a two year show-cause in 2016 for “arranging training services and housing for two recruits.” The show-cause will be a hurdle, but Klemm is a name to keep an eye on.

WIDE RECEIVER

Keary Colbert, USC

Colbert played at USC while Sarkisian was quarterbacks coach, and he went on to a lengthy NFL career spending times with the Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions and Kansas City Chiefs. Colbert jumped into coaching in 2010 as a graduate assistant at USC before spending time at Georgia State and Alabama. Colbert returned to USC as a QC coach in 2016 and moved to coach tight ends/inside receivers in 2018. Colbert moved to coach wide receivers in 2019 and 2020. While he’s a dyed in the wool USC guy, Colbert is reportedly very close with Sarkisian and could be looking around with the constant uncertainty around Clay Helton’s job. Colbert has a solid rep as a recruiter and he’s worked with a lot of talent at USC.

Emmett Jones, Kansas

Any time there’s an opening at wide receivers, I will push the name of Emmett Jones. Jones played his high school ball at Seagoville and then walked on at Texas Tech before entering the coaching profession after graduating from North Texas. Jones rose to prominence as the offensive coordinator for legendary high school coach Reginald Samples at Dallas Lincoln and Dallas Skyline. Jones then moved on to accept the head coaching position at South Oak Cliff before taking a collegiate position at Texas Tech in 2015. When Kliff Kingsbury was fired, Jones took a position on Les Miles’ staff at Kansas. On the field, Jones was integral in the development of Texas Tech receivers Antoine Wesley, TJ Vasher, and Keke Coutee.

On the recruiting trail, Jones was responsible for landing players such as Velton Gardner, Ta'Zhawn Henry, SaRodorick Thompson, Riko Jeffers, and Steven Parker.

Jones would instantly be one of the most dangerous recruiters in the country. He’s been able to put together strong groups at Texas Tech and Kansas, but that would be nothing compared to what he could do with the Texas logo backing him. Jones would specifically shine in south Dallas where his ties to the area and knowledge of prospects provide him with a built-in advantage no other in-state team has.

One south Dallas coach I spoke with said, “He would win recruiter of the year at Texas. It wouldn’t even be close. He will shut down Dallas if they let him loose.”

TIGHT ENDS/SPECIAL TEAMS

Jeff Banks, Alabama

A former Washington State punter, Banks is known as one of the top recruiters in the country. Banks got his start at Idaho State and worked at UTEP and Virginia before taking a job under Kevin Sumlin at Texas A&M. After Sumlin was dismissed, Banks was quickly scooped up by Nick Saban and Alabama. His all-time recruits list reads like an All-American dream team. His wins include Kyle Allen, Christian Kirk, Camar Wheaton, Agiye Hall, Christian Leary, Jalen Milroe, Marcus Banks, Kendrick Blackshire, Ryan McCollum and many others. Banks has experience recruiting nationally, but he’s strong in Texas and the southeast. He’s also known as one of the best special teams coaches in the country so he is an incredibly important hire if Sarkisian can bring him.

Jason Mohns, Scottsdale (Az.) Saguaro

Mohns is currently the head coach at the powerhouse Arizona high school, and he’s likely the next high school coach to make the jump to the big time. Not only would he be a phenomenal recruiter, but he’s known as an offensive genius who could rapidly ascend the college coaching ranks with the right opportunity. I’d expect this staff to be more equipped to recruit out west with the background of Sarkisian and many of his trusted assistants. The Longhorns have been active recruiting in Arizona, and Mohns would provide an advantage in Arizona and anywhere else out west.

Blake Gideon, Ole Miss

Gideon needs no introduction to Texas fans. Though he’s most remembered for dropping a would-be game-sealing interception against Texas Tech in 2008 which cost the Longhorns their only game of the year, he should be remembered for being a two-star recruit who started for four years at Texas and was a two-time captain. After a short NFL stint, Gideon served as a quality control assistant at Florida and a GA at Auburn. After coaching corners at Western Carolina and Georgia State, he served one year at Houston coaching nickel backs and special teams and then moved on to Ole Miss in December of 2019. Gideon is known as an ace on special teams, but his fit is a bit more complicated because he only has experience coaching defensive backs.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Bo Davis, Detroit Lions

Davis should be no stranger to Texas fans as he served under Mack Brown from 2011-2013. Prior to that he had stints at LSU, North Shore High School, the Miami Dolphins and Alabama. After Mack Brown was fired, Davis returned for two seasons at Alabama before moving to UTSA and then to the Detroit Lions. An excellent recruiter with ties both to Texas and the southeast, Davis was responsible for landing Kendall Sheffield, Daron Payne, Raekwon Davis, Quinnen Williams, Jalen Hurts, Terrence Cody and many others. Davis can recruit the southeast along with Houston and east Texas.

Johnny Nansen, UCLA

Nansen has a lot of history on the west coast, and he’s spent quite a bit of time with Sarkisian. After starting his career at Idaho, Nansen worked under Sarkisian at Washington as Special Teams Coordinator, Recruiting Coordinator and Defensive Line Coach. Nansen then moved on to USC where he coached running backs and later linebackers. Nansen left USC this year for UCLA, but we are told he’s a name that Sarkisian could jump on right away. His all time list of recruits includes Adoree’ Jackson, Ronald Jones, Gary Bryant, Talanoa Hufanga, Levi Jones and Maninoa Tufono and John Ross.

Randall Joyner, SMU

Just like Emmett Jones, any time there’s a defensive line opening, I’ll drop the name Randall Joyner. SMU’s defensive line coach is one of the rising stars in the business and could be a candidate to coach defensive line or linebackers. Joyner is known as a strong tactical coach with legitimate recruiting chops. After working under Larry Johnson on Urban Meyer’s staff at Ohio State, Joyner has the big school resume and he’s done a great job at his alma mater. Joyner is happy at SMU, but the right opening could pry him away, and Joyner would add more Texas ties and youth to the staff.

LINEBACKERS

Coleman Hutzler

This will obviously depend on the defensive coordinator hire, but I think there’s a strong argument to keep Hutzler on board for continuity. In his one year on campus, he recruited well, and the linebackers had a strong year under him. We haven’t been shy in talking about Hutzler as a rising star in this business, and it would serve Sarkisian well to keep him around considering the impression he's made since showing up.

)

Tosh Lupoi, Atlanta Falcons

This is the potential golden goose for the Longhorns. Lupoi is tied closely to Sarkisian and is one of the top recruiters in the history of college football. He can coach linebackers or defensive line, and he’s had big time experience coaching at Cal, under Sarkisian at Washington and under Saban at Alabama as his defensive coordinator. Lupoi also spent time with the Cleveland Browns before heading to the Falcons. Lupoi was also once given a show-cause for impermissible benefits. Lupoi overcame that and proved to be one of the best recruiters in the country. His overall list includes Najee Harris, Shaq Thompson, Keenan Allen, Dylan Moses, Jonah Williams, Tua Tagovailoa, Jaylen Waddle, Christian Harris and Trevon Diggs.

DEFENSIVE BACKS

Jay Valai/Chris Ash

Defensive back is the most fascinating spot, because so much depends on who the defensive coordinator is. Still, Ash and Valai proved their mettle as coaches and recruiters this year. The defense was a bright spot on the field this year and defensive recruiting was much better than offensive recruiting. There seems to be a lot of public support from the players for these two coaches, and I wonder if there is any world where they stay on.

Aaron Fletcher, Tulsa

An Austin native who played at Texas A&M Commerce, Fletcher went on to make multiple stops at the high school level (Carter, Lancaster, Desoto, Austin LBJ) before coaching at Houston Baptist. Fletcher’s Tulsa secondaries have been strong performers over the last few years, and national sources speak highly of him as both a coach and recruiter. He coached Cowboys draft pick Reggie Robinson and who was the first Tulsa DB to be drafted in 20 years and the highest drafted Tulsa DB since 1973. Allie Green and Akayleb Evans are up next as draft prospects from Tulsa, and his secondaries have done a great job shutting down high-powered passing attacks like Oklahoma State. His secondary finished Top 20 this year and No. 8 in 2018.

Keith Heyward, Oregon

Heyward is yet another west coast coach with ties to Sarkisian. An LA native, Heyward’s career took him to Oregon State and then Washington and USC where he worked under Sarkisian. Following a year at Louisville, Heyward was hired at Oregon in 2017. Another strong recruiter from the Oregon staff, Heyward’s win list includes Kayvon Thibodeaux, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Marvell Tell, Ykili Ross and Isaiah Langley. Heyward might want to stay on the west coast, but he does have legitimate ties to Sarkisian which makes him a possibility.

HIGH SCHOOL RELATIONS

Bob Shipley

Texas already has one of the best in this role. Shipley is known by every high school coach in the state, and he’s done a great job orchestrating outreach to high school programs. It’s unclear if Sarkisian will choose to go in another direction, but Shipley would be a good person to retain and help bridge the gap with Texas coaches.

Richard Barrett, Kennedale

If Texas chooses to move on, Richard Barrett would be a strong candidate. The Kennedale head coach is a legend in the high school ranks and knows just about anyone there is to know in the state of Texas. With over 30 years of experience and deep ties within the THSCA, Barrett is a guy who inspires respect from coaches around Texas.

Chris Gilbert, Lancaster

Chris Gilbert would be an inspired hire for this position if there were an opening. Gilbert grew up in south Dallas and has extensive coaching experience there. Gilbert is currently a member of the Texas High School Coaches Association board of directors for Region 3. He’s well-known and well-liked by other coaches in the state of Texas, and he would help the Longhorns recruit in Dallas where they struggled under the previous two coaching staffs.

OFF THE FIELD ROLES

Mason Smith, Mississippi State

Smith is young, but he made a huge mark in his first year at Mississippi State. If you noticed that the Bulldogs made a big impression in Texas this year, Smith is a huge reason why. A native of Houston, Smith is experienced in recruiting Texas and Louisiana. When talking with kids and families Mississippi State was recruiting, his name came up multiple times. Smith was a big reason the Bulldogs landed Sawyer Robertson, Daniel Greek and Teddy Knox. He also had a huge hand in Mississippi State picking up transfers KJ Costello and Tyrell Shavers. It would likely be easy to get him back to Texas since he’s a native.

Marshall Cherrington, Cal

Cherrington currently serves as Director of Recruiting Strategy at Cal, but he’s a guy who’s name constantly pops up when talking to other personnel people around the country. A graduate of USC, Cherrington served as a team manager and recruiting assistant when Sarkisian was with the Trojans as head coach. Cherrington also worked as a player personnel analyst for Washington before coming to Cal. He’s been with the Bears for 3 years and helped them bring in their best class in a decade. If Sarkisian is looking for his own version of Bryan Carrington, this might be the guy.

80COMMENTS

Cooper Petagna, Oregon

Petagna serves as Director of Recruiting for the Ducks, and he’s another name I hear a lot about when talking about up and coming personnel analysts. Petagna is originally from the south and spent time working at Cincinnati, Michigan, LSU and Alabama before taking a job at Washington. A source told me Petagna was one of the most trusted evaluators for Chris Petersen at Washington, and he’s respected in multiple circles. Petagna has drawn NFL interest and I was told he knows how to organize and put a board together better than anyone in the country. If Texas moves on from Derek Chang, Petagna is a guy who could fill that role.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I get the impression he really wants to go to Texas because he's had nothing but reasons to commit almost anywhere else.  Waiting for me seems to be about seeing what happens at Texas.  Seems like a program guy if Texas can land him.  

19 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Joe Cook doesn’t think LJ will pick Texas. I’d like to hear how the SAD/Drayton - LJ in home visit goes before I give up on him. 

Texas needs to hit the portal shopping market if they miss. 

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Joe Cook doesn’t think LJ will pick Texas. I’d like to hear how the SAD/Drayton - LJ in home visit goes before I give up on him. 

Texas needs to hit the portal shopping market if they miss. 

It'd not a bad year to have a recruiting witch come in given the GigaPortal environment we're about to see.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

We infamously improved our locker-rooms under Herman....

If I'm Sark, as soon as I see we're about to start the next phase of renovation I'll learn to swing a sledgehammer. Then I'll have video from 19 angles as I destroy something with it. That will make an even bigger joke of Herman's staggering effort. In retrospect, that was an early sign that Mr. Mensa was way more of a thinker than a doer.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

If I'm Sark, as soon as I see we're about to start the next phase of renovation I'll learn to swing a sledgehammer. Then I'll have video from 19 angles as I destroy something with it. That will make an even bigger joke of Herman's staggering effort. In retrospect, that was an early sign that Mr. Mensa was way more of a thinker than a doer.

I wouldn't call him that much of a thinker either in retrospect 

18 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

...why would CDC tell the media that?

Because Herman is such a big douche that even CDC doesn’t like him.

I’m wondering if there is more to this than just the eyes.  Seems like everyone wanted him out.  Is he that big of a prick and asshole?

27 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Because Herman is such a big douche that even CDC doesn’t like him.

I’m wondering if there is more to this than just the eyes.  Seems like everyone wanted him out.  Is he that big of a prick and asshole?

It is still dumb. No good can come from it and it makes CDC seem petty.

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

...why would CDC tell the media that?

To deflect from the terrible year he’s had as AD. Once again highlighting his own unprofessional behavior. 

Herman being an unlikable fuckface was known before he was hired here. Losing makes his attitude and behavior untenable. 

any player that was involved should be shown the fucking door. Hernan being a fuckface is irrelevant —- if they were negatively recruiting against the University of Texas they can take a step back and fuck their own face. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

To deflect from the terrible year he’s had as AD. Once again highlighting his own unprofessional behavior. 

Herman being an unlikable fuckface was known before he was hired here. Losing makes his attitude and behavior untenable. 

any player that was involved should be shown the fucking door. Hernan being a fuckface is irrelevant —- if they were negatively recruiting against the University of Texas they can take a step back and fuck their own face. 

Bingo. CDC is covering his own ass. He’s been pretty incompetent throughout this whole ordeal and had to get benched. Better for him to put all the blame on his also incompetent and douchebag head coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, golfclap said:

tom cruise GIF

13 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I've seen a couple of comments on it, but what is the situation with Milroe and the Brocks with the COVID rule. I'm assuming it doesn't apply? As well, why isn't there more smoke around Milroe with Sark being his primary recruiter?

Supposedly a lot of recruits are really pissed about it. No way Saban let’s these kids out of their LOIs either. Who knows what happens with Milroe and Earle if this move is made earlier and without question, if Herman was not the coach this season the brocks would have signed with texas

7 hours ago, golfclap said:

He lost a tremendous amount of support from the “young” (sub 55) BMDs with his bungling of this entire process. The job is simply too big for him.

I give credence to your opinion, but I would truly like details on how he bungled the entire process.  It seems his bungling is only transparent to those in the know.  How about opening the drapes for the great unwashed.  Is there more beyond not firing Herman after the OU game?  Herman's contract is a Fenves albatross, we've been led to believe.  Did he somehow drive Urban away?  

2 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I give credence to your opinion, but I would truly like details on how he bungled the entire process.  It seems his bungling is only transparent to those in the know.  How about opening the drapes for the great unwashed.  Is there more beyond not firing Herman after the OU game?  Herman's contract is a Fenves albatross, we've been led to believe.  Did he somehow drive Urban away?  

There's discussion about this on the CDC thread on the football board.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Supposedly a lot of recruits are really pissed about it. No way Saban let’s these kids out of their LOIs either. Who knows what happens with Milroe and Earle if this move is made earlier and without question, if Herman was not the coach this season the brocks would have signed with texas

I think the COVID transfer applies to them too. Bud Elliot wrote some garbage piece on 247 that all of our commits should be let out of their LOI because of CDC's vote of confidence. He tried to anticipate some of the retorts, one of which is the following: 

"Just use your transfer" - Athletes are now granted a one-time transfer due to the COVID-19 situation. While this is great news for players, it is unjust to force players to burn their transfer before they even set foot on campus. The proper remedy is a release from the NLI.

38 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

So is obligatory fuck the Brocks still a thing or no? Asking because new shit has come to light.

29 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

without question, if Herman was not the coach this season the brocks would have signed with texas

I'm not sure that would have been as easy of a slam dunk as you think.  They absolutely hated Herman and I'm sure that factored in significantly, along with the fact that they didn't want Hand coaching them.  But, clearly getting drafted is their main concern, which is understandable.  Nothing we hypothetically we would have done last offseason would have changed how they viewed Alabama.  So whoever we had hired as Head Coach and offensive line coach last season, it still wouldn't be able to compare to the factory that is Bama in regards to getting kids drafted. 

There is a lot of other stuff that Bama has in place that Sark will hopefully try to replicate, whether it be strength and conditioning,   the mental coaches they employ, the nutrition, etc. etc.  I mean let's face it, they are a machine.  Just getting rid of Herman doesn't make us = to Bama in the Brocks eyes I don't think.  I honestly think Bama was a pretty easy choice for them, and having a different head coach at Texas wouldn't have been enough to overlook all their perceived benefits of going to Alabama.