Mass casualty event Astroworldfest. Multiple dead. Hundreds injured

FartingMonk

On 11/9/2021 at 2:50 PM, Pancho said:

A&M student who was in critical condition now declared brain dead.

I'm not sure why, but this one hit me hard.  Regardless of where you went to school, you shouldn't die simply by attending a concert.  I threw some money at her families Go Fund Me, and if you'd like to, click here

• Hook 'Em 3

Yeah I feel the same way about the mysterious injection as I do about parents agonizing over drugs in Halloween candy…drugs are expensive, I’m not giving that shit away.  

Except that a psychopathic mass murderer can kill people with a syringe full of Fentanyl. You can’t kill anyone with marijuana gummies. You’d just be wasting them. Not saying that’s what happened to all these people. It obviously isn’t. But it does look a possibility for at least one or two, like the guy in the video I posted above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Bob Lives! said:

Except that a psychopathic mass murderer can kill people with a syringe full of Fentanyl. You can’t kill anyone with marijuana gummies. You’d just be wasting them. Not saying that’s what happened to all these people. It obviously isn’t. But it does look a possibility for at least one or two, like the guy in the video I posted above.

Yeah I’m sure it’s possible, and the evil motivation would be someone who wanted to severely damage Travis Scott reputation by hurting innocent people.  Was just saying it seems like the knee jerk ‘multiple gunmen’ reactions that come out early after a crisis but don’t really make a lot of sense.  

I will eat my fucking shoe live on Surly if a single toxicology report comes back and someone at that concert was maliciously and unwillingly injected with ANY foreign substance.
  • Hook 'Em 6

I still want to know why the guy above had a seizure.

People are stupid. They’ll do and say anything as a defense mechanism if they feel they could even remotely be to blame or could be at fault for something. I’ll eat my other shoe if this person has a history of seizures.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

People are stupid. They’ll do and say anything as a defense mechanism if they feel they could even remotely be to blame or could be at fault for something. I’ll eat my other shoe if this person has a history of seizures.

Wouldn’t it make more sense if he did have a history of seizures? He could just be an epileptic who got triggered by all the AV stuff on the set, or his own voluntary drug use. Whatever it was, in his specific case, it doesn’t appear to have anything to do with the crowd surge that seems to be responsible for most of the other injuries.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wouldn’t it make more sense if he did have a history of seizures? He could just be an epileptic who got triggered by all the AV stuff on the set, or his own voluntary drug use. Whatever it was, in his specific case, it doesn’t appear to have anything to do with the crowd surge that seems to be responsible for most of the other injuries.

The likelihood of him having a history of seizures is slim. The likelihood of him having a history of seizures and being non compliant with his medications is slim. The likelihood of him having photosensitivity induced seizures is slim. The likelihood of him being noncompliant with his meds AND having photosensitivity is ridiculously slim. Not slim enough to bet you a picture of my paystub (Holla! Rocko) but slim enough I feel confident I won’t be eating my shoes anytime soon.
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The likelihood of him having a history of seizures is slim. The likelihood of him having a history of seizures and being non compliant with his medications is slim. The likelihood of him having photosensitivity induced seizures is slim. The likelihood of him being noncompliant with his meds AND having photosensitivity is ridiculously slim. Not slim enough to bet you a picture of my paystub (Holla! Rocko) but slim enough I feel confident I won’t be eating my shoes anytime soon.

Repped for Rocko paystub reference 

Not sure this was posted. Account from Austin concert photographer Daniel Cavazos: https://medium.com/@mr.minnow/astroworld-2021-408fb9da7c00

At the beginning of each performer from Toliver on, I noticed a sound that I could only equate to the sound a sports team’s fan base makes when a goal or touchdown is missed. But this sound was slower and more guttural. I quickly realized it was the sound of the crowd groaning as the surge began. Those in the front row took on the brunt of the pressure. I remember feeling an unusual sense of concern for those in the crowd and kept telling my photo peers that I seriously felt like someone could die in this crowd. I say this only because I have been shooting festivals for over eight years and have certainly seen festival attendees in distress, typically from heat exhaustion or dehydration. In all of the previous situations, I never feared for the life of someone. Medics were always quick to export and care for those in need. Friday afternoon and evening were entirely different, not for lack of concern, but they were simply finding themselves quickly outnumbered by demand....

By the time we arrived at the end of the catwalk, the channel that ran from the tip of the catwalk to the soundboard was full of photographers, videographers, medics, security and Houston Police Department. The space was extremely tight but we were ready to shoot. The second Travis Scott appeared on stage, all hell broke loose. People began pouring over the rails both conscious and unconscious. There were not enough medics and security to pull people out of the crowd. I witnessed a man ask for a medic who, after a few minutes of not receiving any help, fainted in the arms of a friend.

1*LWQpoMEM7z56OfZ4eHw4bg.jpeg

1*71641XBVfndC-VpWK9D1Hg.jpeg

Even in the low res screenshot you can see the density of the people at the corner/axis of those photo pits/pathways.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Most people don't have a history of seizures. But most people who have seizures do have a history of seizures. Many times people who have a history of seizures and then go on to have another seizure do so because they're being non compliant with their medications. 

It's like you've never met a diabetic. 

• Like 1

Gayle King interviewed Travis Scott's representative (a former Baltimore Mayor) on the CBS Morning Show this morning.  I watched figuring there would be some good questions thrown at her.  Holy shit, it was nothing but a commercial for deflecting the blame.  Not even a single real question.  At one point the rep said they had something like a 500 page procedural manual for the shows and under those procedures only two people could stop the show (I think it was the producer and executive producer, but I'm not sure exactly what she said) and the Travis Scott couldn't have stopped the show even if he wanted to.  That didn't even elicit a comment.  I fully expect that if Travis Scott himself were on the show she would have knelt down and kissed his ring.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Gayle King interviewed Travis Scott's representative (a former Baltimore Mayor) on the CBS Morning Show this morning.  I watched figuring there would be some good questions thrown at her.  Holy shit, it was nothing but a commercial for deflecting the blame.  Not even a single real question.  At one point the rep said they had something like a 500 page procedural manual for the shows and under those procedures only two people could stop the show (I think it was the producer and executive producer, but I'm not sure exactly what she said) and the Travis Scott couldn't have stopped the show even if he wanted to.  That didn't even elicit a comment.  I fully expect that if Travis Scott himself were on the show she would have knelt down and kissed his ring.

My wife was watching that while we were feeding the younglings.  Holy Shit what a dumpster fire of an interview.  Trying to make him into some sympathetic figure in this whole ordeal.  My blood was boiling.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

6 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

My wife was watching that while we were feeding the younglings.  Holy Shit what a dumpster fire of an interview.  Trying to make him into some sympathetic figure in this whole ordeal.  My blood was boiling.  

Gayle is up Oprah’s ass and Oprah is up Kardashian/Jenner ass so none of this is the least bit surprising. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

Gayle is up Oprah’s ass and Oprah is up Kardashian/Jenner ass so none of this is the least bit surprising. 

Yep. I remember when Oprah blew millions on a reality show for Lindsay Lohan that she couldn't be bothered to show up filming. But that's just couch change for Oprah. Kardashians have so many people on their payroll it is beyond comprehension. 

8 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep. TMZ has been lockstep along with this. The narrative is that Travis had no idea...nope. Let's put aside the fact that he encouraged his fans multiple times to rush the stage...jump the walls/barriers...there was adequate enough video on Twitter and elsewhere when festival goers were jumping on stage where it is audible he said "Who is telling me to stop?" or something similar. Plenty of videos from those there (and while its been discussed there is a time and place for all that...glad so many were taken of the vantage points) suggest there is no way he couldn't see ambulances driving through the crowd. Multiple people jumping on stage begging for it to stop. 

Having been in a few mosh pits...I would say there is typically a culture that when someone goes down people form a wall and try to protect someone. Only one experience I had was the opposite. The idea that he had NO IDEA at all is infuriating. NO way that is true. Sure, he went to D&B and partied with Drake and blah blah blah Kylie and blah blah blah...but you would have had to have had a blindfold on not to know what was happening in the crowd and on the stage. Too much video to suggest otherwise. 

Not sure this was posted. Account from Austin concert photographer Daniel Cavazos: https://medium.com/@mr.minnow/astroworld-2021-408fb9da7c00

At the beginning of each performer from Toliver on, I noticed a sound that I could only equate to the sound a sports team’s fan base makes when a goal or touchdown is missed. But this sound was slower and more guttural. I quickly realized it was the sound of the crowd groaning as the surge began. Those in the front row took on the brunt of the pressure. I remember feeling an unusual sense of concern for those in the crowd and kept telling my photo peers that I seriously felt like someone could die in this crowd. I say this only because I have been shooting festivals for over eight years and have certainly seen festival attendees in distress, typically from heat exhaustion or dehydration. In all of the previous situations, I never feared for the life of someone. Medics were always quick to export and care for those in need. Friday afternoon and evening were entirely different, not for lack of concern, but they were simply finding themselves quickly outnumbered by demand....
By the time we arrived at the end of the catwalk, the channel that ran from the tip of the catwalk to the soundboard was full of photographers, videographers, medics, security and Houston Police Department. The space was extremely tight but we were ready to shoot. The second Travis Scott appeared on stage, all hell broke loose. People began pouring over the rails both conscious and unconscious. There were not enough medics and security to pull people out of the crowd. I witnessed a man ask for a medic who, after a few minutes of not receiving any help, fainted in the arms of a friend.

Even in the low res screenshot you can see the density of the people at the corner/axis of those photo pits/pathways.
That's too many damn people for a concert. Especially a concert with shitty music.

Shit draws flies.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

That's too many damn people for a concert. Especially a concert with shitty music.

Shit draws flies.

This was the barricade setup. I’ve never seen anything like this at a festival.

4270B000-0D86-4A0E-83CA-6866662D9306.jpeg.7ffee8244e698d3e9626ccdbf5b49158.jpeg

Dad was with him and tried to stay near the back, but still got trampled:

Treston held Ezra high on his shoulders as the countdown began to Scott's performance at NRG Park on Nov. 5. The pair stayed toward the back of the crowd because Treston said he thought it would be calmer. But as soon as Travis Scott took the stage, he said that's when people started pushing.

Treston lost consciousness and Ezra fell to the ground. At the mercy of concertgoers, the 9-year-old was trampled.

When Treston regained consciousness, he could not find his son anywhere. He rushed to on-site medic tents, as well as several hospitals. After filing a police report, he later received a message from an officer that included a picture of Ezra.

When he got to the hospital, Treston learned Ezra's major organs had been damaged, his brain was swollen, and he was on life support.

https://abc13.com/astroworld-festival-tragedy-ezra-blount-child-injured-at-travis-scott-concert-2021/11236835/

Even so, and he was (I guess) trying to be responscible,  I would never, ever put my under-12 kids in the middle of an SRO mob.  Never.  Ever.  Never ever.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, jkates said:

No thanks. That kid's parents suck. I'm all for pressing charges against them. Taking a 9 year old to that show? Gross.

You should get on the news and air that bullshit opinion on camera for all to see. Or file a citizens complaint with the cops. 

Or you could try to stop being such a complete piece of shit. 

46 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

You should get on the news and air that bullshit opinion on camera for all to see. Or file a citizens complaint with the cops. 

Or you could try to stop being such a complete piece of shit. 

Ha. I should try to get on the news with this commonly held belief? What a stupid opinion and emotionally-challenged response. I should file a complaint with the cops? Why? Did they violate the law? Last I checked, it is not illegal to have a different moral code than me. Either way, the cops are already involved and don't need a keyboard Karen "helping" them out.

We disagree here though I'm not sure why. Do you think the kid's parents are to be praised for taking him to this concert? Do think the dad made a great decision to take his 9 year old to a lineup that included Young Thug, SZA, Lil Baby, Drake, Travis Scott, etc.? Do you think a 9 year old should be exposed to those lyrics and the crowd that comes along with them? Do tell. Or don't.

Edited by jkates
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jkates said:

Ha. I should try to get on the news with this commonly held belief? What a stupid opinion and emotionally-challenged response. I should file a complaint with the cops? Why? Did they violate the law? Last I checked, it is not illegal to have a different moral code than me. Either way, the cops are already involved and don't need a keyboard Karen "helping" them out.

We disagree here though I'm not sure why. Do you think the kid's parents are to be praised for taking him to this concert? Do think the dad made a great decision to take his 9 year old to a lineup that included Young Thug, SZA, Lil Baby, Drake, Travis Scott, etc.? Do you think a 9 year old should be exposed to those lyrics and the crowd that comes along with them? Do tell. Or don't.

Doubling down eh troll?  So you’re a “proud of it” piece of shit.

Why would I try to convince a proud of it piece of shit troll who blames the death of a nine year old on his parents for attending a concert with gasp, vulgar language. Seems like a waste of time to me. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Doubling down eh troll?  So you’re a “proud of it” piece of shit.

Why would I try to convince a proud of it piece of shit troll who blames the death of a nine year old on his parents for attending a concert with gasp, vulgar language. Seems like a waste of time to me. 

Noted. I'll mark this in the win column for me. 

7 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Would you have taken your 9 y.o. child to that festival?

I don't know Jimmy from a hole in the ground, but in my experience the people with the strongest opinions on what parents should or should not do is the people who don't have any.

For cloakroom asswipes who live in a world of zero sum thinking, it's impossible that the event coordinators can be at fault and that this kids' parent could have made a really stupid decision bring him in the first place.  It's both, for fuck's sake!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, jkates said:

No thanks. That kid's parents suck. I'm all for pressing charges against them. Taking a 9 year old to that show? Gross.

2 hours ago, jkates said:

So his parents should be charged even though they didn't violate the law? They made a poor decision - one that I wouldn't make.  They didn't commit a crime and its cruel and asinine to say they should be charged with a crime after losing their child in a tragic accident.

A 6 year old girl died in the Aurora movie theater shooting.  Should we charge her paralyzed mother for bringing her daughter to an R rated movie?

Edited by VivaNaranja
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, VivaNaranja said:

So his parents should be charged even though they didn't violate the law? They made a poor decision - one that I wouldn't make.  They didn't commit a crime and its cruel and asinine to say they should be charged with a crime after losing their child in a tragic accident.

A 6 year old girl died in the Aurora movie theater shooting.  Should we charge her paralyzed mother for bringing her daughter to an R rated movie?

My "pressing charges against them" is how I feel. I do not want anyone to be charged if no laws were broken.