Mass casualty event Astroworldfest. Multiple dead. Hundreds injured

FartingMonk

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Who owns the land where the festival was held? I drove by it yesterday and it looked like an abandoned parking lot with temporary structures. 

NRG Park is owned by HCSCC, which is, I believe, owned by thirds by Harris County, the Houston Rodeo, and the Texans. But don’t quote me on that.

Until this weekend I thought Travis Scott was a nashville country music fucktard. It sucks that there had to be tragic and horrible loss of life in some bullshit circumstances for me to learn he's a different type of fucktard.

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

Great White is still touring and 100 people died at their show. As long as you can insure someone, they will play.

The difference is Great White wasn't their own promoter but Astroworld is Travis Scott's own event, or so I read. Nobody will insure Travis Scott in the future as a promoter. I'm sure you're right, he will have more live performances, but it will be more expensive to insure him and there will be added safety requirements mandated by insurers for his shows and possibly for many other live events.

My son once asked me to watch a live Travis Scott concert with him in Fortnite, and I did.  So this hits close to home. 

Big crowds often lead to injuries and worse.  People should generally avoid them, but concerts are fun and young gonna young.   Whoever let a ten year old in there should probably be charged with a crime, though.  Fucking hell.

Some points about the festival-style set up/why it is dangerous and also liability as well:

“A nationally-recognized crowd safety expert said analyzing what went wrong at the Astroworld Festival begins with the layout of the concert itself. Unlike arena concerts with reserved seating and permanent aisles, a festival-style, standing-room-only setup is the most dangerous.

“From Elvis Presley on, everybody has known this is problematic," said Paul Wertheimer, founder of Crowd Management Strategies.

“It forces people in the crowd to work against each other,” he said. “This is the worst thing that can happen in crowd safety.”

The Los Angeles-based Wertheimer has provided crowd safety guidance for more than 30 years. He said festival-style configurations require special precautions to reduce crowd density and ensure first responders have clear pathways to treat anyone needing medical attention.

Those details should be listed in the concert promoter’s special event permit application. The City of Houston Mayor’s Office of Special Events requires permit seekers to file a security control plan and an emergency medical plan.

"Who approved the risk assessment, the crowd management plan, and the emergency plan ... who prepared those? I want to see that,” Wertheimer said. “And then you're going to find out where everything went wrong.”

https://www.khou.com/article/news/investigations/khou-11-investigates-astroworld-festival-safety/285-bb998b0f-dd65-4814-8a12-5f2471517b44

My son is a Travis Scott fan and has been wanting to go to Astroworld.  He's 13 so there is no chance I'm letting hi go yet, but I'll have to use this as a teachable moment about what can happen if you go to a Travis Scott show.  Maybe he'll rethink it. 

It is a teachable moment, please teach him that Scott’s music sucks and to start listening to good music.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Some really old and out of touch people in here. He’s got 43 million instagram followers and is easily in the top 100 of most famous musicians in the world right now. 

Or people with food taste in music. Having a lot of instagram followers isn’t the measuring stick for talent, intelligence or anything else
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Some really old and out of touch people in here. He’s got 43 million instagram followers and is easily in the top 100 of most famous musicians in the world right now. 

Or people with food taste in music. Having a lot of instagram followers isn’t the measuring stick for talent, intelligence or anything else
  • Hook 'Em 1

Roddy Ricch is donating the money he would have made performing at Astroworld to help with funerals of the victims.  He’s doing more than the actual host!
Not really fair. Scott made an Instagram video from the heart to all his fans. And his baby momma acknowledged something bad happened. What more do you want at an emotional time like this.

Seriously, I'm sure someone in his camp will make sure he understands the financial optics of this.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Not really fair. Scott made an Instagram video from the heart to all his fans. And his baby momma acknowledged something bad happened. What more do you want at an emotional time like this.

Seriously, I'm sure someone in his camp will make sure he understands the financial optics of this.

His lawyers may tell him if he gives money to anyone, he's providing ammo to plaintiffs in a civil trial.  So, he'll make a nominal donation to some bullshit charity Momma Kris suggests in the name of the victims.  Her dead husband knew OJ was guilty, so she's got some experience knowing how to avoid helping people impacted by criminal negligence, murder, that kind of stuff.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Imagine wanting to go to a a Travis Scott concert

Imagine taking your 10-year-old to a Travis Scott concert. 

https://people.com/music/10-year-old-hospitalized-travis-scott-astroworld-festival/

But, I'm sure despite the fact that Mom and/or Dad should be jailed for child negligence, they will be the recipients of a seven-figure check for their egregious display of parental irresponsibility.

Travis Scott six months from now... 

Pay to the order of... Mrs. Wilbur Starks... seven hundred thousand dollars AND NINE CENTS!...
[Movers remove a table from house] 
Pay to the order of... Iron Balls McGinty... seven hundred thousand dollars AND NINE CENTS!...
[Movers remove a stuffed cheetah from house] 

Pay to the order of... the parents of Shaneequa Johnson... seven hundred thousand dollars AND NINE CENTS!...
[Movers remove a Picasso from house] 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Burnt Orange in OC said:

Imagine taking your 10-year-old to a Travis Scott concert. 

https://people.com/music/10-year-old-hospitalized-travis-scott-astroworld-festival/

But, I'm sure despite the fact that Mom and/or Dad should be jailed for child negligence, they will be the recipients of a seven-figure check for their egregious display of parental irresponsibility.

⬆️ I have thought about that for the last two days. At first, I was like, who does that? Who takes a 4th grader to that kind of madness?  But then I remember going to Southern Star Amphitheater with my friends when I was in 4th or 5th grade.  I don’t remember crushing waves of people at Power Station or Nik Kershaw or Kenny Loggins, though.  

6 hours ago, Burnt Orange in OC said:

Travis Scott six months from now... 

Pay to the order of... Mrs. Wilbur Starks... seven hundred thousand dollars AND NINE CENTS!...
[Movers remove a table from house] 
Pay to the order of... Iron Balls McGinty... seven hundred thousand dollars AND NINE CENTS!...
[Movers remove a stuffed cheetah from house] 

Pay to the order of... the parents of Shaneequa Johnson... seven hundred thousand dollars AND NINE CENTS!...
[Movers remove a Picasso from house] 

The promoters/organizers are screwed.  Not NRG, not the city, and not the county.  HPD and HFD responded appropriately and quickly.  This was not a city/county event.  There were expectations for security and crowd control and attendance that were agreed to and then ignored by the organizers.  Their biggest issue right now is proving to their underwriters that they were within the scope of the policy.  Cue Morgan Freeman saying, "they weren't".
This was fully preventable.  The organizers chose to ignore the issues.  And I know one of the casualties.

I’m curious what it is that you do for a living that qualifies you to say City of Houston had nothing to do with the issues that led to this event.

I've squeezed myself towards the front of many performances and never considered the risk of getting squeezed to death simply from exuberant crowding.  That's pretty sad for the concert-goers, no matter how bad I think Travis Scott's music is.

From that one video of people being lifted up and out of the metal barriers, on first glance it didn't seem dire.  At all.  Kinda like how it's hard to "see" someone actually drowning.  Don't really put it on Scott for not recognizing that situation while he's performing (but the ground-level guards really should be accountable), and not while that one body was lifted in the air as people passing out happens often at these events. 

Last show I saw of Van Morrison everyone had literal seating.  No complaints.

This video shows a person having a seizure in an area close to the stage that doesn’t look like there’s any stampede or crowd crush going on.

Granted, this is just one video. I’ve seen tons of other videos and witness accounts that are very consistent with trampling deaths. So was there more than one thing at play here? I’m interested to hear the autopsy results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk