Mass casualty event Astroworldfest. Multiple dead. Hundreds injured

FartingMonk

(CNN)At least eight people are dead and many others were injured Friday night at the Astroworld Festival in Houston, officials said.

"We had scores of individuals that were injured," Houston Fire Chief Sam Peña during a news conference early Saturday morning.

The fire chief described what unfolded as a "mass casualty" incident, saying it began as the crowd began "to compress toward the front of the stage" around 9:00-9:15 p.m. local time.

That caused some panic, and it started causing some injuries, he said.

"People began to fall out, become unconscious and it created additional panic," Peña said.

The cause of deaths is pending the medical examiner's determination, he said.

Peña said 17 patients were transported to local hospitals, 11 of whom were in cardiac arrest. He confirmed that one patient was 10 years old.

In addition, more than 300 people were treated at the field hospital set up near the festival, Peña said,

The concert drew about 50,000 attendees, he said.

Those who attended the concert shared on social media the chaos that ensued. Medical personnel were so overwhelmed with the injuries that some audience members attempted to administer CPR.

The concert's livestream showed Travis Scott pause his performance to look on in confusion as an ambulance with lights flashing pulled into the venue.

Astroworld organizers did not immediately respond to CNN's request for comment early Saturday morning.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Imagine your last moments on earth being crushed to death by a crowd of fucktards at a Travis Scott concert. 
Jeez. 

After the Great White fire, my friends and I vowed we would never go see some show to people watch or out of curiosity or whatever, because it would be recorded forever nd ever that you died in the terrible Molly Hatchet tragedy in Beaumont, Texas or something like that. People would be like "Oh that is so sad...but what the fuck was he doing at a Molly Hatchet show in Beaumont?"

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

History repeats itself.  See the The Who concert in Cincinnati. People think they’re missing out, and then others start to run and push because everyone else is doing the same.

as for the other scenes of people bypassing security, it makes you realize that security procedures at most events only work if the crowd wants them to work. Most of us see someone in a official security windbreaker or golf shirt, and we comply. If enough people do not want to comply, security personnel can’t do much. Sure they can tackle a few people but what is that accomplishing if 50 run past you.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, CooterBrown said:

Why? Unless he was an owner of the fest or incited the riot, he’s just a contracted performer who’s not involved in any organizational logistics.

Yea so certainly not educated in human law (stick to birds mostly) but there is a history of this with him and his events. 

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

This may be the end of Travis Scott because it sounds like a lawyer’s dream.

He will be more famous after this. And I bet there is some production crew if not NRG that will be liable, not him personally. And in fairness, I’m assuming he had no idea what was going on during the concert.

I am looking forward to hearing why the police didn’t stop the show as they must have had zero knowledge whether more people were continuing to get hurt. Perhaps the police on site didn’t feel empowered to do so or they were afraid of crowd if they stopped it.

Actually that sounds like a bunch of made up shit.  If you were knocked the fuck out so bad that you don't even know how you got to where you are it's doubtful you're going to start performing CPR and directing emergency responses as soon as you come to.  CPR will wear you the fuck out quick, no way someone that was unconscious moments earlier is going to pop up and start giving CPR.

Obviously with 8 people dead and many injured this was a shitshow of highest proportions, but I'm not sure that one particular account was all that truthful.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

History repeats itself.  See the The Who concert in Cincinnati. People think they’re missing out, and then others start to run and push because everyone else is doing the same.

as for the other scenes of people bypassing security, it makes you realize that security procedures at most events only work if the crowd wants them to work. Most of us see someone in a official security windbreaker or golf shirt, and we comply. If enough people do not want to comply, security personnel can’t do much. Sure they can tackle a few people but what is that accomplishing if 50 run past you.

Just illustrates that assholes will be assholes, and there are a LOT of assholes out there.

• Like 1

Actually that sounds like a bunch of made up shit.  If you were knocked the fuck out so bad that you don't even know how you got to where you are it's doubtful you're going to start performing CPR and directing emergency responses as soon as you come to.  CPR will wear you the fuck out quick, no way someone that was unconscious moments earlier is going to pop up and start giving CPR.
Obviously with 8 people dead and many injured this was a shitshow of highest proportions, but I'm not sure that one particular account was all that truthful.

Always the nurses bro, always. Just smile and say thank you, then dismiss everything they just told you. They’re a special kind of stupid
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

After the Great White fire, my friends and I vowed we would never go see some show to people watch or out of curiosity or whatever, because it would be recorded forever nd ever that you died in the terrible Molly Hatchet tragedy in Beaumont, Texas or something like that. People would be like "Oh that is so sad...but what the fuck was he doing at a Molly Hatchet show in Beaumont?"

Why is wrong with Molly Hatchet?  

• Hook 'Em 2

What do you mean “what the fuck was he doing”?

Obviously, he was flirtin’ with disaster.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

From ages one through six, Webster [Scott] lived with his grandmother in South Park, Houston. Located in south-central Houston, the neighborhood was notorious for crime and had an impact on a young Webster, "Growing up, my grandmother stayed in the 'hood so I seen random crazy shit. I saw mad bums and crazy spazzed out motherfuckers, I saw people looking weird, hungry, and grimey. I was always like, 'I gotta get the fuck out this shit.' It gave me my edge—it made me who I am right now."

24 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

They way these young people had been behaving all day, it doesn’t surprise me one bit. 

I was in a mosh pit at a Beastie Boys concert in SA a long time ago in my youth and the crowd starting just grabbing random people and picking them up and flinging them over the security gates around the stage. I was one of the people that happened to. I didn’t enjoy it at all. Security guy caught me. This is a horrible situation. I understand from this that Travis did pause the concert multiple times before the surge was triggered at 9:00 pm. Terrifying. Crushed to death. 

“Before chaos erupted, Travis stopped the show several times during his 75-minute set ... after noticing some of the fans in the front seemed in distress. He told security to make sure they weren't hurt. At one point Travis asked for security to help a specific individual.“

https://www.tmz.com/2021/11/06/travis-scott-astroworld-concert-stampede-dead-drake/

I’ve been to something like 15 ACLs at this point and after those first few years, I find myself getting more and more reluctant to really get into big crowds…part of it out of sheer laziness (keep me close to the pissers and bars out on the perimeter), but also partly out of fearing the power inherent in large crowds.  Luckily a few years back they moved the stage at rock island because it was creating a huge crush between it and the beer tent, just navigating that several times during the afternoons was scary enough.  

Feel awful for those people.  

• Hook 'Em 1

My son is a Travis Scott fan and has been wanting to go to Astroworld.  He's 13 so there is no chance I'm letting hi go yet, but I'll have to use this as a teachable moment about what can happen if you go to a Travis Scott show.  Maybe he'll rethink it. 

• Hook 'Em 1