Act person you thought would make it big but didn’t

closetohumping

On 11/7/2021 at 7:48 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Child act persons actors are always a tough bet since you never know what they're going to turn into when they're an adult. 

Haley Joe Osment (went from cute kid to weird looking adult) are a few examples. 

Topher!

source.gif

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Scatman Crothers didn't rocket to stardom like I thought he would after a reoccurring role on Chico and the Man and important role in The Shining.  Hell, I haven't seen him in anything in decades.

Or Hong Kong Phooey

Edit:  Dammit.  It was right there in front of me.

Edited by DDD Dad

On 11/7/2021 at 12:28 PM, remoh said:

Brendan Fraser. He was epic in blast from the past, george of the jungle 2, and the mummy 2. 

This is a good one. And he's actually in the middle of a little renaissance. He got fat and depressed and pretty much quit acting for like a decade. But he's been really good in some good shit lately, like "No Sudden Moves" and he'll be in Scorsese's "Killers of the Flower Moon." I like redemption stories like this.

https://www.gq.com/story/brendan-fraser-career-renaissance-killers-of-the-flower-moon

Hail the Brendan Fraser Renaissance

Brendan Fraser, Mummy Vanquisher is gone. Meet Brendan Fraser, prestigious actor.
October 25, 2021

Image may contain Tie Accessories Accessory Suit Coat Clothing Overcoat Apparel Human Person Necktie and Crowd Brendan Fraser attends 'No Sudden Move' during 2021 Tribeca Festival at The Battery on June 18, 2021 in New York City.Courtesy of Santiago Felipe for Getty Images.

•  
  •  
  •  

“Whatever happened to Brendan Fraser?” was a popular refrain during much of the 2010s, when the one-time blockbuster star all but vanished from the spotlight. Then in 2018, GQ finally asked the source; the answers were unexpectedly moving and emotionally charged. Yet it also didn’t quite seem as if a resurgence was on the horizon: Fraser had a solid role in the underrated FX drama Trust; performances on cult shows like Doom Patrol followed. But his dashing, mummy-defeating days were clearly behind him.

And yet now we seem to be entering, improbable as it is, Fraser’s comeback era. It started with A24, as good film news usually does these days. The studio acquired Darren Aronofsky’s The Whale, which will feature Fraser as a 600 pound-man who lies in a bathtub binge-eating out of “guilt,” which, honestly, sounds like a pretty weird watch. But, hey, Fraser and Aronofsky, we’ll take it!

Things only go up from there. When Steven Soderbergh revealed he cast approximately 15 of the coolest actors alive for his new crime thriller No Sudden Move, Brendan Fraser’s name in the mix was a surprising but welcome sight. As one of the shadowy go-betweens who kicks off the film’s inciting incident, he more than acquits himself amidst the players who we’re used to seeing in gritty crime stories like this. Which may be how he landed on Martin Scorcese’s radar—Fraser will be part of the troupe for Killers of the Flower Moon alongside De Niro, Leo, and probable new heavyweight Oscar contender Jesse Plemons.

And now, Big Fras is getting in on the superhero gold rush: he'll star opposite Leslie Grace in the upcoming Barbara Gordon/Batgirl solo film from directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah (best known for helming Bad Boys For Life). The word, which is at this time, still unconfirmed, is that he'll play the DC villain Firefly.

How did this happen? Fraser himself is as surprised and grateful as anyone, judging from a video that went viral this week of him tearing up when told that fans are rooting for him. But he seems to have shrewdly re-molded his image and expanded his range. He doesn’t have the figure or the agility to be Rick O’Connell again, vanquishing CGI hordes of evil as a Club Monaco version of Indiana Jones. In No Sudden Move he’s unlike you’ve ever seen him before—an irritable, hulking heavy whose presence bodes danger and uncertainty. It’s far from the affable guy who typically toggled between dorky, affable and action/adventure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

tim riggins was not a good act person.  glad that coach taylor, tami, vince, and landry are the ones that made best out of that show.

Shit. I forgot Michael B Jordan was in that. He's probably a bigger "star" than Jesse Plemons, but I think Jesse Plemons is viewed as the more "serious" actor. 

On 11/6/2021 at 2:57 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Richard Grieco

On 11/6/2021 at 10:37 PM, DougO said:

Gary Coleman. TV Star of the 80s, but never got very big.

On 11/7/2021 at 4:38 AM, Parliament said:

Ron Livingston. He owned every scene he had in BoB.

On 11/7/2021 at 6:28 AM, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Guy Pearce should be a bigger act person.  He had LA Confidential and Memento right together which were both super loved and critically acclaimed.  Then he sort of went to supporting guy with just one or two big roles in the 20 years since. 

Mike Myers isn’t in anything anymore.  I guess he’s just rolling around in Shrek money. 

For real though, Luke Perry deserved the post-teen heartthrob act person treatment Robert Pattinson is getting now.  Glad QT featured him in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. 

Guy Pearce is precisely who I'm thinking.  

On 11/7/2021 at 9:05 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Steve Guttenberg was in every movie in the 80s/ early 90s. Then. Poof. I think the aliens from cocoon took him away. 

Pretty sure he was screwed in Three Men and a Baby.  He was the dork of that trio, other two the handsome leading men.

On 11/7/2021 at 10:28 AM, remoh said:

Brendan Fraser. He was epic in blast from the past, george of the jungle 2, and the mummy 2. 

Yep. And I'll add Tim Robbins

On 11/7/2021 at 1:45 PM, mr. sunshine said:

Jason Patric. He had a nice little run there with Lost Boys, Rush, Sleepers.  I guess Speed 2: Cruise Control did him in.

He was allsome in Your Friends & Neighbors 

I think he was screwed once he did the Alamo.

So I mentioned Tim Robbins.

Luke Wilson made it big, ok, but he's pretty much faded hasn't he?

Kirk Cameron

John Stamos, famous, but did he make it big?

Skeet Ulrich.

2 hours ago, tx ind said:

How the fuck we gonna talk about Brendan Fraser and Encino Man hasn’t been mentioned once?

Well if we are speaking of primate comedic stylings, i prefer george of jungle to encino man. You could have gotten him tagged with encino man together if you were just faster on the gun. 

ps: never seen encino man. I will rectify this immediately (or as time permits) and get back to you all with a report. 

ps2: peak brendan fraser is actually blast from the past for me. saw that movie like 10 times. 

8 hours ago, irishtexan said:

This is a good one. And he's actually in the middle of a little renaissance. He got fat and depressed and pretty much quit acting for like a decade. But he's been really good in some good shit lately, like "No Sudden Moves" and he'll be in Scorsese's "Killers of the Flower Moon." I like redemption stories like this.

https://www.gq.com/story/brendan-fraser-career-renaissance-killers-of-the-flower-moon

Hail the Brendan Fraser Renaissance

Brendan Fraser, Mummy Vanquisher is gone. Meet Brendan Fraser, prestigious actor.
October 25, 2021

Image may contain Tie Accessories Accessory Suit Coat Clothing Overcoat Apparel Human Person Necktie and Crowd Brendan Fraser attends 'No Sudden Move' during 2021 Tribeca Festival at The Battery on June 18, 2021 in New York City.Courtesy of Santiago Felipe for Getty Images.

•  
  •  
  •  

“Whatever happened to Brendan Fraser?” was a popular refrain during much of the 2010s, when the one-time blockbuster star all but vanished from the spotlight. Then in 2018, GQ finally asked the source; the answers were unexpectedly moving and emotionally charged. Yet it also didn’t quite seem as if a resurgence was on the horizon: Fraser had a solid role in the underrated FX drama Trust; performances on cult shows like Doom Patrol followed. But his dashing, mummy-defeating days were clearly behind him.

And yet now we seem to be entering, improbable as it is, Fraser’s comeback era. It started with A24, as good film news usually does these days. The studio acquired Darren Aronofsky’s The Whale, which will feature Fraser as a 600 pound-man who lies in a bathtub binge-eating out of “guilt,” which, honestly, sounds like a pretty weird watch. But, hey, Fraser and Aronofsky, we’ll take it!

Things only go up from there. When Steven Soderbergh revealed he cast approximately 15 of the coolest actors alive for his new crime thriller No Sudden Move, Brendan Fraser’s name in the mix was a surprising but welcome sight. As one of the shadowy go-betweens who kicks off the film’s inciting incident, he more than acquits himself amidst the players who we’re used to seeing in gritty crime stories like this. Which may be how he landed on Martin Scorcese’s radar—Fraser will be part of the troupe for Killers of the Flower Moon alongside De Niro, Leo, and probable new heavyweight Oscar contender Jesse Plemons.

And now, Big Fras is getting in on the superhero gold rush: he'll star opposite Leslie Grace in the upcoming Barbara Gordon/Batgirl solo film from directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah (best known for helming Bad Boys For Life). The word, which is at this time, still unconfirmed, is that he'll play the DC villain Firefly.

How did this happen? Fraser himself is as surprised and grateful as anyone, judging from a video that went viral this week of him tearing up when told that fans are rooting for him. But he seems to have shrewdly re-molded his image and expanded his range. He doesn’t have the figure or the agility to be Rick O’Connell again, vanquishing CGI hordes of evil as a Club Monaco version of Indiana Jones. In No Sudden Move he’s unlike you’ve ever seen him before—an irritable, hulking heavy whose presence bodes danger and uncertainty. It’s far from the affable guy who typically toggled between dorky, affable and action/adventure.

Will check out fat brendan’s latest works and issue a report on that too. 

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Didn’t the CSI guy retire right after that show? Seem to remember that once he made his money, he was done and now sits on the beach making 20%.

Petersen or Caruso?  Petersen has always been picky AF about his roles. He turned down lead roles in both Platoon and Goodfellas.

Idk about Caruso.  

On 11/7/2021 at 3:45 PM, mr. sunshine said:

Jason Patric. He had a nice little run there with Lost Boys, Rush, Sleepers.  I guess Speed 2: Cruise Control did him in.

He was allsome in Your Friends & Neighbors 

Jason Patric turned down Tom Cruise’s role in The Firm. Four years later he was in Speed 2. Life comes at you fast. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Airheads was on one of the movie channels yesterday and I watched the last hour of it. I’d like to think that was peak Brendan Fraser, but it is probably this gif image.gif.950120ecc3b63afa2670308ebaa3b277.gif

I’d say peak Brendan Fraser was Scrubs or the Mummy. 

7 hours ago, remoh said:

Well if we are speaking of primate comedic stylings, i prefer george of jungle to encino man. You could have gotten him tagged with encino man together if you were just faster on the gun. 

ps: never seen encino man. I will rectify this immediately (or as time permits) and get back to you all with a report. 

ps2: peak brendan fraser is actually blast from the past for me. saw that movie like 10 times. 

Encino Man has some one liners but lower your expectations.  This isn't Hot Tub Time Machine or Good Will Hunting.  

1 hour ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Jason Patric turned down Tom Cruise’s role in The Firm. Four years later he was in Speed 2. Life comes at you fast. 

Ouch.

They both are obviously still A-list guys but didn't Brad Pitt and Will Smith turn the Matrix down?

I thought Fraser sunk himself when he did that movie with Rikki Lake

Edited by closetohumping

Petersen or Caruso?  Petersen has always been picky AF about his roles. He turned down lead roles in both Platoon and Goodfellas.
 Idk about Caruso.  
Petersen turned down the Henry Hill role in Goodfellas (rumored to have refused to audition for Martin Scorsese), and the Michael Cheritto role in Heat thar went to Tom Sizemore.

About Platoon, he said he didn't want to go sit in a ditch in the Philippines for 8 weeks for no money.

He's an odd dude. Talented, but not that talented. Ray Liotta must thank his career everyday for Petersen saying "nah, I don't audition for parts, Marty." He fell into a perfect cartoon role in CSI and made bank so not a bad life, but seems like dumbassery on his part on several levels.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Petersen turned down the Henry Hill role in Goodfellas (rumored to have refused to audition for Martin Scorsese), and the Michael Cheritto role in Heat thar went to Tom Sizemore.

About Platoon, he said he didn't want to go sit in a ditch in the Philippines for 8 weeks for no money.

He's an odd dude. Talented, but not that talented. Ray Liotta must thank his career everyday for Petersen saying "nah, I don't audition for parts, Marty." He fell into a perfect cartoon role in CSI and made bank so not a bad life, but seems like dumbassery on his part on several levels.

Plus he was in To Live and Die In LA which is a ducking hell of good movie.   But yeah, he definitely moves to his own drum. 

In a way, he should be on this list.  He’s been in a lot of good stuff, but never became an A lister. 

all women are dq'd from this thread imo because their shelf life is so short.  if you slip just a touch on your looks, and that happens to everyone, you aren't guaranteed anything in hollywood.  there are very few roles that go to women where looks aren't key, and  frances mcdormand gets all those.

9 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

all women are dq'd from this thread imo because their shelf life is so short.  if you slip just a touch on your looks, and that happens to everyone, you aren't guaranteed anything in hollywood.  there are very few roles that go to women where looks aren't key, and  frances mcdormand gets all those.

Well, and the Harvey Weinstein scandal shows how the casting couch hits women especially hard.  The curse of the best supporting actress is no bullshit: Mira Sorvino, Elizabeth Shue, Marisa Tomei…. It’s amazing how many of those actresses suddenly became “difficult to work with”

There have been rumors for years that Scarlett Johansson had a certain amount of ethical flexibility when it came to getting early roles. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Rachel Leigh Cook. Was such a cutie in She’s All That, and is still pretty to this day. Also a good act person. Not sure why the lead roles dried up so quick. 

Seeing as this has been on HBO recently, I've been thinking about it..the casting folks that put Rachel Leigh Cook as the "nerd/ugly duckling" is some of the worst casting in the history of movies.

She's hot as balls and was the prettiest chick in the movie.

Edited by Tylerocks

1 hour ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Nah.  Anniston, Reese Whitherspoon, Silverstone, Dunst, etc are all olds that are still hot imo.  I don't think their looks are the issue if they're not getting A-list type roles here.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Seeing as this has been on HBO recently, I've been thinking about it..the casting folks that put Rachel Leigh Cook as the "nerd/ugly duckling" is some of the worst casting in the history of movies.

She's hot as balls and was the prettiest chick in the movie.

Yeah, but you couldn't tell because she had those glasses on most of the time.

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2021 at 10:08 AM, yoladu said:

Ben Foster should be a household name. Not sure he wanted to be "big" though.

Ben Foster Biography | Fandango

He absolutely nailed the West Texas accent and manerisms.  Just spot on.  He sounds just like me and my Abilene friends when we are getting thick into the accent.

YS7GFKS6PEI6NHLKXDK6TWGKPQ.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3