Act person you thought would make it big but didn’t

closetohumping

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Child act persons actors are always a tough bet since you never know what they're going to turn into when they're an adult. 

Edward Furlong (drugs), Haley Joe Osment (went from cute kid to weird looking adult) and Patrick Fugit (Almost Famous) are a few examples. 

True. I didn’t think Nicholas Hoult was going to amount to much when I saw About a Boy, because I thought he was kind of awkward looking. But he’s developed some nice acting chops and has had some good performances as an adult.

1 hour ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Guy Pearce should be a bigger act person.  He had LA Confidential and Memento right together which were both super loved and critically acclaimed.  Then he sort of went to supporting guy with just one or two big roles in the 20 years since. 

14 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

carrie henn.jpg

Pierce, like a lot of Australians, went home.  He’s very active in the Australian movie/drama scene.  

Carrie Henn (and I suspect you knew this) Was pulled out of Hollywood after Aliens by her parents, who wouldn’t even take phone calls from agents.  She became a school teacher in the Central Valley.  She has since reappeared on the convention circuit, but for years she would barely acknowledge she was in the movie. Getting her autograph on Aliens stuff is doable now, but it was the holy grail for nearly two decades.

Her parents were adamant they did not want her to fall victim to the curse of the child star. 

I always though Danny Huston would do more.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Steve Guttenberg was in every movie in the 80s/ early 90s. Then. Poof. I think the aliens from cocoon took him away. 

I was home late and drunk one night and watched the weirdest movie on Prime. Called Original Gangster.  Kind of a black comedy I guess. Set in London but the premise was that the main character worked for a NYC mob boss who was hiding out by running a crew while wearing a blond wig and callIng himself John Baptiste or something.  

Guttenberg played the mobster.  
original-gangster-850x600.jpg

Edited by Liquor and Poker
Found a pic
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Became a big tv star on NYPD Blue and then bailed to make it big in the movies.  That flopped so he returned to tv on a show that lasted just long enough to make him a meme.

mqdefault.jpg.b9ea5fe68bb68d8034bc9a1657273624.jpg

He’s been on CSI for nearly 2 decades.  While it’s not Movie famous, if you know anything about TV money, Caruso is rich AF, even by Hollywood standards. 

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

He’s been on CSI for nearly 2 decades.  While it’s not Movie famous, if you know anything about TV money, Caruso is rich AF, even by Hollywood standards. 

10 seasons.  Estimated net worth of $35 million which I wouldn't consider rich AF by Hollywood standards.  It's probably not even Surly 1%

7 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Carrie Henn (and I suspect you knew this) Was pulled out of Hollywood after Aliens by her parents, who wouldn’t even take phone calls from agents.  She became a school teacher in the Central Valley.  She has since reappeared on the convention circuit, but for years she would barely acknowledge she was in the movie. Getting her autograph on Aliens stuff is doable now, but it was the holy grail for nearly two decades.

Her parents were adamant they did not want her to fall victim to the curse of the child star. 

Yep. She has a lot of screen time in the new Aliens episode of The Movies That Made Us series.

6 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Steve Guttenberg was in every movie in the 80s/ early 90s. Then. Poof. I think the aliens from cocoon took him away. 

If I recall correctly, Guttenberg’s contract for Police Academy was based on percentage of the take which turned out to be a surprisingly huge amount and he got so filthy rich that he really didn’t need the acting gig anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

If I recall correctly, Guttenberg’s contract for Police Academy was based on percentage of the take which turned out to be a surprisingly huge amount and he got so filthy rich that he really didn’t need the acting gig anymore.

He either did some baller spending or terrible investing; Est. net worth today is 17-20 million.

20 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

He’s supposed to be a huge asshole.  Nobody will work with him.

Also has a net worth north of $200 million. He did make a small appearance in Inglorious Basterds and has done some work as a producer on some big projects, so he’s still working. But, yeah, probably something to the asshole reputation as the 90’s SNL guys all seem very close, yet you rarely, if ever, hear Myers name mentioned with that group or by that group. Dana Carvey told Howard Stern a few years back that Myers’ Dr Evil character was a direct rip-off of his own impression of Lorne Michaels. Seemed pissed off about it, too. 

14 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

10 seasons.  Estimated net worth of $35 million which I wouldn't consider rich AF by Hollywood standards.  It's probably not even Surly 1%

You are correct sir.  That’s crazy, I just assumed CSI Miami was still on, but I also haven’t watched anything but football on CBS in at least a decade. I guess I got it mixed up with the Mark Harmon procedural.

The guy who got truly stupid rich off CSI was William Petersen.  He got a cut of the backend of the franchise when agreed to do the show as an executive producer. 

17 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I was home late and drunk one night and watched the weirdest movie on Prime. Called Original Gangster.  Kind of a black comedy I guess. Set in London but the premise was that the main character worked for a NYC mob boss who was hiding out by running a crew while wearing a blond wig and callIng himself John Baptiste or something.  

Guttenberg played the mobster.  
original-gangster-850x600.jpg

Parodying or imitating Mickey Roarke from The Wrestler with that look? 

1 hour ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Dana Carvey told Howard Stern a few years back that Myers’ Dr Evil character was a direct rip-off of his own impression of Lorne Michaels. Seemed pissed off about it, too. 

I heard him tell that story a few months back. May have been on one of the final Conan shows.