Act person you thought would make it big but didn’t

closetohumping

15 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

lacey chabert never made it as big as her titties

I thought she was so fetch

my best friends wedding is on.  Yeah too depressed to watch cfb.  Dermot Mulroney never made it big. Somewhat surprised. 

I think this was peak Cameron Diaz as far as attractiveness

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I thought she was so fetch

my best friends wedding is on.  Yeah too depressed to watch cfb.  Dermot Mulroney never made it big. Somewhat surprised. 

I think this was peak Cameron Diaz as far as attractiveness

i found cameron diaz  10/10 in the Mask.  downhill ever since

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/18/2021 at 8:47 PM, Davis Lane said:

Oh and Nikki Cox

5b6a7bc5f140e7147d9c671a11b532a8.gif

WideZigzagAtlanticbluetang-max-1mb.gif

She hit the ground running in the CW rip off of Married With Children called Unhappily Ever After playing the Kelly Bundy role. Unfortunately, she married the guy doing the voice of The Bunny, Bobcat Goldthwait who was 16 years older than her. Money grab achieved.

• 3 weeks later...

If we're going with disappointments rather than "being big"...

Andrew Garfield - Solid career but I was expecting a ton after The Social Network. Since Spiderman he's been a peripheral guy.

Michael Fassbender post 2015 - the dude goes from Hunger to Inglorious Basterds to Shame to 12 Years a Slave to Steve Jobs and then...  No decent movies in 6 years.

Sean Bean - Two different phases of disappointment. Thought he'd be big after Goldeneye then thought he'd be big after Game of Thrones. His post GoT IMDB reads like Nicholas Cage.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/21/2021 at 2:28 AM, RPM said:

She hit the ground running in the CW rip off of Married With Children called Unhappily Ever After playing the Kelly Bundy role. Unfortunately, she married the guy doing the voice of The Bunny, Bobcat Goldthwait who was 16 years older than her. Money grab achieved.

It’s not as though we have evolved standards since that time, as evidence by reality TV, but I was trying to think if we had any current TV shows which were so low brow that the female lead just had to be sexy even if they were horrible actresses.  Then I remembered “Two Broke Girls.” 

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Some of y’all have crazy expectations for making it big. “I mean, sure, Actor X was in these 6 well known movies and a couple huge blockbusters- but what now?” Lulz. Ed Norton, Michael Fassbender, and yes, Andrew Garfield all made it big as actors. 

I clearly said disappointments rather than making it big.

If Daniel Day Lewis's only movie after The Boxer would have been The Ballad of Jack and Rose, that would have been a disappointment.

3 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Some of y’all have crazy expectations for making it big. “I mean, sure, Actor X was in these 6 well known movies and a couple huge blockbusters- but what now?” Lulz. Ed Norton, Michael Fassbender, and yes, Andrew Garfield all made it big as actors. 

Ok but look at this from Wikipedia:

“According to the review aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes, Norton's most critically acclaimed films are Primal Fear (1996), Everyone Says I Love You (1996), The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996), American History X(1998), Fight Club (1999), The Score (2001), Frida(2002), 25th Hour (2002), The Illusionist (2006), The Painted Veil (2006), Moonrise Kingdom (2012), The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014), Birdman (2014), Sausage Party (2016) and Isle of Dogs (2018).[172] His biggest commercial successes are Red Dragon(2002), Kingdom of Heaven (2005), The Incredible Hulk (2008), and The Bourne Legacy (2012), all of which grossed over $200 million worldwide.[64]”

How many of those do you associate with Norton? I haven’t seen them all but I’d only consider a few of them to be Ed Norton vehicles. Yes he’s had a good career but not the kind I expected from a breakout award-winning role in 1997 (he never won anything else notable). 

On 11/7/2021 at 12:04 AM, Stringer said:

Over a 2 year period, Julia Ormand had Harrison Ford, Greg Kinnear, Brad Pitt, Aidan Quinn, Richard Gere and Sean Connery fighting over her.

Not much has happened since.

Saw her on one of the Walking Dead shows. I didn't recognize her at first but after wondering why I was attracted to this grandma it clicked. She was an old 90's crush.

Julia-Ormond-TWDWB.jpg

On 12/13/2021 at 9:19 AM, Buzzrock said:

“According to the review aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes, Norton's most critically acclaimed films are Primal Fear (1996), Everyone Says I Love You (1996), The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996), American History X(1998), Fight Club (1999), The Score (2001), Frida(2002), 25th Hour (2002), The Illusionist (2006), The Painted Veil (2006), Moonrise Kingdom (2012), The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014), Birdman (2014), Sausage Party (2016) and Isle of Dogs (2018).[172] His biggest commercial successes are Red Dragon(2002), Kingdom of Heaven (2005), The Incredible Hulk (2008), and The Bourne Legacy (2012), all of which grossed over $200 million worldwide.[64]”

How many of those do you associate with Norton? I haven’t seen them all but I’d only consider a few of them to be Ed Norton vehicles. Yes he’s had a good career but not the kind I expected from a breakout award-winning role in 1997 (he never won anything else notable). 

Read somewhere that he’s hard to work with

On 12/13/2021 at 11:19 AM, Buzzrock said:

You forgot about Motherless Brooklyn and Leaves of Grass.

9 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Ehhh, this is pretty awful. Worse than what Courtney Cox (no relation) did to herself. Unfortunately, Nikki also had a drug problem and I'm sure that contributed to her downfall. So sad, she was an absolute 10 on Unhappily Ever After.4MTYVJVLJAY44YONUYYN56YE74.jpg

I think y'all are being harsh on her.  She's had a phenomenal 45-year run as the lead guitarist in "Electric Mayhem" 

On 12/13/2021 at 1:01 AM, fellside said:

If we're going with disappointments rather than "being big"...

Andrew Garfield - Solid career but I was expecting a ton after The Social Network. Since Spiderman he's been a peripheral guy.

Michael Fassbender post 2015 - the dude goes from Hunger to Inglorious Basterds to Shame to 12 Years a Slave to Steve Jobs and then...  No decent movies in 6 years.

Sean Bean - Two different phases of disappointment. Thought he'd be big after Goldeneye then thought he'd be big after Game of Thrones. His post GoT IMDB reads like Nicholas Cage.

image.gif.4b91321b02d36b007c5a254d2bb5d11f.gif

On 12/14/2021 at 9:39 PM, Dutchrudder said:

Ehhh, this is pretty awful. Worse than what Courtney Cox (no relation) did to herself. Unfortunately, Nikki also had a drug problem and I'm sure that contributed to her downfall. So sad, she was an absolute 10 on Unhappily Ever After.4MTYVJVLJAY44YONUYYN56YE74.jpg

Jay Mohr.  The opposite of "why didn't he make it big" ie "why is this guy on my screen and how is he the leading man opposite of J-Anniston

If you google just about any of these actors, you'll see they're working regularly. A lot of stuff gets put out there in movies and TV, so you just don't happen to be watching the things they appear in.

I might argue that the lack of quality roles in popular movies and TV limits the opportunities for actors to do something distinctive. The comic book movies have characters that can be filled by any number of different actors. It's pretty much the costume in the starring role.

These actors are doing a lot of work and making good money. Breaking through with an exceptional product is difficult.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

If you google just about any of these actors, you'll see they're working regularly. A lot of stuff gets put out there in movies and TV, so you just don't happen to be watching the things they appear in.

I might argue that the lack of quality roles in popular movies and TV limits the opportunities for actors to do something distinctive. The comic book movies have characters that can be filled by any number of different actors. It's pretty much the costume in the starring role.

These actors are doing a lot of work and making good money. Breaking through with an exceptional product is difficult.

Yeah and looking like a guy like Edward Norton, I figure he's probably got enough money stashed away that he just picks projects he likes.  He clearly likes working on Wes Anderson films.

Seemed like everybody that was in American Graffiti had a solid career, but Paul Le Mat, that played John Milner's career never took off.

American-Graffiti-John-LaurieSteve.png

It's pretty crazy how many of the even fringe characters became stars.

Harrison Ford, Richard Dreyfuss, Cindy Williams, Mackenzie Phillips, Kathleen Quinlan, Suzanne Summers, all went on to have solid careers. Le Mat was featured, and had solid on screen charisma, but never did much else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m sure he is like the poster boy in the modern era for getting typecast, but it still seems weird how brief his career actually was.  

You would have thought he'd turn up in a Chuck Norris or Jean Claude film along the way.