Urban Meyer or Bust Part 2: Groping at Straws

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

With all due respect...

Urban’s not walking through that door. Neither is Saban. Accept that. Stop hiring their assistants hoping to find the next best thing. That’s not working. Stop looking for easy answers and go find a coach to coach Texas. Maybe conduct interviews of interested parties. Look for the right fit, not a splash hire.

Just my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

With all due respect...

Urban’s not walking through that door. Neither is Saban. Accept that. Stop hiring their assistants hoping to find the next best thing. That’s not working. Stop looking for easy answers and go find a coach to coach Texas. Maybe conduct interviews of interested parties. Look for the right fit, not a splash hire.

Just my opinion. 

There’s only like 5 championship caliber coaches in country and they are all currently comfortable and well paid.  This notion that Texas is just going to poach a great coach because “we’re Texas” is delusional.  Every hire is taking a chance.  Just keep rolling the dice hope it works out

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

With all due respect...

Just my opinion. 

It’s a good opinion

1 hour ago, Chad said:

Urban ain't coaching here, he'd suffer a heart attack by the time the conference slate set in from having to deal with a team filled with quitters and miscreants.

He'd never have to deal with them because they'd flee or he'd drive them into the portal before the Summer was over.

That being said he's not coming................this year.  After next year?

He's not going to be fired, and even if he was there's nothing here that has gotten more attractive since he turned down Texas a year ago. USC and LSU are inarguably easier turnarounds. And Sark's not getting fired this year. With that six year deal, almost certainly not getting fired after next year either.

Last night at least opens the door for Sark being shown the door in three years instead of four, after the opening SEC season removes all doubt that he is capable of even being Seven Win Steve here. The verdict will be in on Dave Aranda at that point, so he is certainly a name to watch for me. If Baylor continues to play well as the roster fills out with Aranda's guys, that's probably the closest possible option to the mythical Surly approved proven P5 winner that's also not already at a destination job. Jeff Traylor just signed that huge extension at UTSA and might actually still be there two years from now. If UTSA is a consistent winner under him I don't know how he isn't seriously considered given his Texas recruiting history, P5 success or no. Joey McGuire will also have the chance to show he can coach at the P5 level at Tech, though the sample size would be smaller.

Texas is probably going to continue to be mediocre under Sark but at least the timing of this is lining up with some options, unlike the mess that was getting rid of Tom Herman.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

With all due respect...

Just my opinion. 

We don’t have a foundation for anything you are saying. The problems aren’t with the coach, it’s everything that leads to hiring these said coaches. And until that is fixed…nothing will be