Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

That ain't it.  They had to shut the basketball team down early last year and fire the entire coaching staff because of all the rape, murder, arson, and rape that was being perpetrated by the team, so they most definitely did not have an impressive and strong record of success in athletics, in the classroom and throughout the community.

Yeah but…..aggy.

And besides a little rape, murder, arson, and rape isn’t so bad if you get to taste conference success, at least according to Baylor.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

I am absolutely shocked by this. I don’t follow AD’s or know whats going on at most schools but having a general knowledge and looking at what AM has done I could not think of a worse leader of a company/athletic department. His failures are staggering and if AM was a company it would be bankrupt because real business don’t have the luxury of donations. I’ve only seen him in action once watching the press conference after they fired Jimbo and he was a stumbling, bumbling, drinking water as a crutch, over his head, afraid, searching for words imbecile. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

The aggy level of mental gymnastics is in full force at tOSU. Apparently stupid and delusional is the way to go through life in Ohio. Ole Miss AND aggy were ecstatic to see him go, but that means nothing!!!

From elevenwarriors

plaintext for darkmode

Spoiler

Posted 3 hours ago (edited)

The aggy level of mental gymnastics is in full force at tOSU. Apparently stupid and delusional is the way to go through life in Ohio. Ole Miss AND aggy were ecstatic to see him go, but that means nothing!!!

From elevenwarriors

Keith7456  12th Warrior  15 JAN 2024, 1:40 PM

Rivals poster that I greatly respect has this to say.

This is a very rare instance where I actually know the person in question: Ross's reputation behind closed doors among university leadership is markedly different than the crazy, petulant, ridiculousness that you're going to hear from the TexAgs frequent poster crowd. Holding Ross accountable for the peccadillos of Hugh Freeze is analogous to holding Gene responsible for Zach Smith. Sure, the buck stops at his desk - but these are professional people and their tasking does not extend to managing personal lives. (IMO). His problem at A&M is the shadow regime of donors that serve as de facto player personnel directors and would be ADs. It's an impossible job. The donors forced that Jimbo extension out of desperation and panic - that wasn't Ross's sole decision. In the AD world, most people will tell you that Ross inherited a disaster wrapped in a catastrophe of mismanagement from Scott Woodward. I'm not saying that Ross is great - I am saying that he is at least good.

305Buck  21 HOURS AGO

Someone pointed out the fact that this guy has been at the forefront of Texas A&M having some of the best sports facilities in the country and will take one look at Ohio State’s football facilities and basketball arena and change everything

Buckslan  21 HOURS AGO

The new president interviewed the A&M AD, Pat Chun, and somebody else and seems is deciding on the A&M AD. That's enough for me honestly. It really feels like someone that's going to take Ohio State into the new world of athletics from facilities to NIL and so much more.

Cecsix  15 JAN 2024, 1:45 PM

Yeah, I am not going to form an opinion yet, but the Aggies fans not liking him doesn’t mean a damn thing to me. Fans are stupid and irrational.

jortnation has no clue about aggy, how aggy 'functions' and who makes the decisions

the big winners here are michigan & especially pedder

bjork may be a reasonably competent AD but he will guarantee tosu does not move ahead of michigan and most likely opens the door for pedder to step up to the #2 pending how the pac teams adapt

+++

there are 7 results googling "ross bjork" "texas nil law"

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q="ross+bjork"+"texas+nil+law"

there are many pieces of great comedy in those results, but nothing i can find about the claim "Bjork helped guide leaders in the Texas legislature in the development of the new NIL law."

My mind is bottled. I just can’t comprehend why tOSU would do this. They seem like a decently competent athletics department. Relatively recent MNCs. Regular basketball success. Good HFB coaching hires. Seemingly sane coaching contracts.  

Why in the hell would they pick a guy who has done the exact opposite of all of those things? Was their collective brain broken so badly by the consecutive losses to Michigan that they decided to go Costanza?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

My mind is bottled. I just can’t comprehend why tOSU would do this. They seem like a decently competent athletics department. Relatively recent MNCs. Regular basketball success. Good HFB coaching hires. Seemingly sane coaching contracts.  

Why in the hell would they pick a guy who has done the exact opposite of all of those things? Was their collective brain broken so badly by the consecutive losses to Michigan that they decided to go Costanza?  
Fuck everything about that shit school and football program, I applaud this hire.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, nnm said:

If tOSU wanted info and/or knowledge about Bjork, they should have consulted with Surly.   Now, I’m not so sure that we would have recommended him as AD, but we could have definitely enlightened them.  This says a lot more about OSU than it does about aggy.

Edited by Cairn Horn88
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

If tOSU wanted info and/or knowledge about Bjork, they should have consulted with Surly.   Now, I’m not so sure that we would have recommended him as AD, but we could have definitely enlightened them.  This says a lot more about OSU than it does about aggy.

Nah, we would have recommended him. We love dumpster fires, couch burning, etc.

Plus makes tOSU less relevant, a win for Texas going into the playoff era.

• Hook 'Em 3

They’re gonna get rid of Ryan Day. Need a hatchet man and someone to sign off on the next hire with a stupid contract. This guy has experience.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

A couple of days ago, I was debating college football with a coworker and talking about how almost every team seems to wander the desert for a decade or so after long periods of success with the exception of Ohio State, who seem to always be a contender. 

But hiring Bjork is one way to start a desert era. Congrats to the Buckeyes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

A couple of days ago, I was debating college football with a coworker and talking about how almost every team seems to wander the desert for a decade or so after long periods of success with the exception of Ohio State, who seem to always be a contender. 

But hiring Bjork is one way to start a desert era. Congrats to the Buckeyes. 

The Earl Bruce/John Cooper years were very meh. 

10 hours ago, TXUT said:

I am absolutely shocked by this. I don’t follow AD’s or know whats going on at most schools but having a general knowledge and looking at what AM has done I could not think of a worse leader of a company/athletic department. His failures are staggering and if AM was a company it would be bankrupt because real business don’t have the luxury of donations. I’ve only seen him in action once watching the press conference after they fired Jimbo and he was a stumbling, bumbling, drinking water as a crutch, over his head, afraid, searching for words imbecile. 

This seems like a really bad hire. The best I can tell from listening to commentary in the local media is that he’s a good fundraiser and will put a lot of focus on NIL. Given what we know about his resume as an AD, I don’t think that justifies the risk. Surely there are more proven administrators out there who are also good at fundraising.

Sigh. It is what it is. A lot of people were under the mistaken impression that Gene Smith was a good AD when he was actually really, really bad. Like he cost the football team a national championship bad. How an AD at tOSU survived that will always be beyond my comprehension. He did a few good things but the list of his failures and shortcomings is long and not relevant to this thread. But if the new guy is a good fundraiser and can do it without nickel-and-diming the fanbase to death then that will be an improvement. (Smith once tried raising the price of spring game tickets from $5 to $20. That blew up in his face and he lowered the price again but not until after a lot of $20 tix were sold.)

Still, it’s possible that we’ll need to be looking for new coaches in football and basketball in the near future. I’m not sure I trust this guy to A) make the right decision to replace a coach who needs to be replaced and not give them a hefty extension and raise instead, or B) hire the right replacement if he does make that move.

I can’t say our new university president is making a good first impression with this hire. 

• Prepare your anus 5

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Curious how he explained the Jimbo years 

"I didn't hire him but don't ask about the extension. While I did fire him, I also convinced all those aggys to fork over $100M for nothing."

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m not sure I trust this guy to A) make the right decision to replace a coach who needs to be replaced and not give them a hefty extension and raise instead, or B) hire the right replacement if he does make that move

How does Head Football Corch Mark Stoops grab ya?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

make the right decision to replace a coach who needs to be replaced

He'll let the the boosters make the decision. It's what he did at aggy, and it's what Ohio State wants.

44 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Seems like a terrible hire but the Third aggy Law of Thermodynamics states the graph will intersect at “Elko was Bjork’s last mistake for us” and “Wow tOSU is doing pretty great” in 36 months.

There’s also that, right? Bjork leaves A&M and Ohio State wins a national championship 3-4 years in, Aggies will have the opportunity to once again reflect and ask themselves whether it is the school’s culture, rather than the people they hire, that is the problem. And the result will be the same as it ever was. 

12 hours ago, TXUT said:

I’ve only seen him in action once watching the press conference after they fired Jimbo and he was a stumbling, bumbling, drinking water as a crutch, over his head, afraid, searching for words imbecile. 

Wasn’t he the one at SEC media days crying (like almost to the verge of tears) when it was announced Texas was going to the SEC?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

The Earl Bruce/John Cooper years were very meh. 

Yeah Earle Bruce only won 75% of his games, won 4 conference titles in 9 years, finished in the top 15 8 years in a row before his last year.

Cooper won 71 percent of his games, 3 shared conference championships and had a nice run from 93 to 95. He went 111-43-4.  He just couldn't beat Michigan (2-10)

For comparison Fred Akers won 73 percent of his games. Mack won 76. DKR won 77.

John Cooper is the worst coach tOSU has had since 1950.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

Yeah Earle Bruce only won 75% of his games, won 4 conference titles in 9 years, finished in the top 15 8 years in a row before his last year.

Cooper won 71 percent of his games, 3 shared conference championships and had a nice run from 93 to 95. He went 111-43-4.  He just couldn't beat Michigan (2-10)

For comparison Fred Akers won 73 percent of his games. Mack won 76. DKR won 77.

John Cooper is the worst coach tOSU has had since 1950.

Honestly didn't know they had that much success under those guys.  I guess that tells you how much I've paid attention to the Big 10 through the years. 

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Honestly didn't know they had that much success under those guys.  I guess that tells you how much I've paid attention to the Big 10 through the years. 

I mean no school or program in sports has had a run like Ohio State since the 50s. It's legit incredible, a deal with the devil was made.

13 hours ago, TXUT said:

This.  The guy made the biggest mistake in college football history and....he's a sought after individual?  What am I missing here?  Is tOSU run by waterheads?  Their program will spiral.  They let A&M off the hook.  I was waiting for his firing after the Jimbo debacle, but my thinking was, "They can't fire him.  If they do they will have to admit that they made the biggest mistake in history and that they are a laughingstock.  They never have, never will and simply cannot do that."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

This.  The guy made the biggest mistake in college football history and....he's a sought after individual?  What am I missing here?  Is tOSU run by waterheads?  Their program will spiral.  They let A&M off the hook.  I was waiting for his firing after the Jimbo debacle, but my thinking was, "They can't fire him.  If they do they will have to admit that they made the biggest mistake in history and that they are a laughingstock.  They never have, never will and simply cannot do that."

I do think there is credence to the theory that he didn't have the final say on any of their disasters.

Sharp, their BOR, and Texags do ultimately make all the decisions there. Loogie and Zwerneman torpedoed the Stoops hire by stirring outrage amongst their followers. The hive mind made it impossible for Bjork to make the hire in the end. I am not defending him as a good AD, but there is definitely as much external meddling at A&M as anywhere. That place is an absolute shitshow, or in Herbstreit parlance, "a cesspool."

For Bjork, Ohio State is a huge step up in relevance and visibility. I think how A&M's idiot fans shit all over themselves from mid-October on made it nearly impossible for him to stay there. Reminds me of Byrne after the SEC move (that he was against). Bowen Loftin was the hero and Byrne had to eject.

Since Wally Groff, A&M has claimed to want a professional Athletic Director, but they absolutely do not.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

That place is an absolute shitshow

Going to be fun to watch them go after a new AD.  Doubt the RC thing is going to happen (darn it) but you wonder how deep in the barrel they are going to have to reach for someone willing to take that job.  

Just now, TOR said:

Going to be fun to watch them go after a new AD.  Doubt the RC thing is going to happen (darn it) but you wonder how deep in the barrel they are going to have to reach for someone willing to take that job.  

They'll offer enough money that someone will see it as a great stepping stone, if nothing else.

On 1/15/2024 at 4:32 PM, US183 said:

Are these guys wearing those 7 day shitters? Probably got them from the Qatar branch. Looks like the dude on the bottom right already had a 5 day start.

image.jpeg.8e8d242caef58089448745cdeb46bdf4.jpeg

image.jpeg.d042864621415815ac27e98c828b58f9.jpeg

I see they both have earned the Typing award as well as the one for Surfing.. Good for those goofy bastards. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I do think there is credence to the theory that he didn't have the final say on any of their disasters.

Sharp, their BOR, and Texags do ultimately make all the decisions there. Loogie and Zwerneman torpedoed the Stoops hire by stirring outrage amongst their followers. The hive mind made it impossible for Bjork to make the hire in the end. I am not defending him as a good AD, but there is definitely as much external meddling at A&M as anywhere. That place is an absolute shitshow, or in Herbstreit parlance, "a cesspool."

For Bjork, Ohio State is a huge step up in relevance and visibility. I think how A&M's idiot fans shit all over themselves from mid-October on made it nearly impossible for him to stay there. Reminds me of Byrne after the SEC move (that he was against). Bowen Loftin was the hero and Byrne had to eject.

Since Wally Groff, A&M has claimed to want a professional Athletic Director, but they absolutely do not.

The extent to which Looch has any real influence in their athletic dept is a sad indictment of their organization.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I can't think of the last AD or head coach from A&M being poached for what seems to be a upward move.  Other than the tennis coach who UT went after?

Woodward definitely moved up to LSU and then he set aggy back over a decade by clowning them into extending jimbo

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1