2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

As a cultural fit he would not be a good fit. He self scouts and develops defensive schemes to match his opponents. It would not mesh well with PK’s approach. 

PKs approach being take an old can of spaghetti Os throw it at the wall in February and that’s your scheme until the follow February 

Let's say Lanning does get OU... Fickell would seem to make more sense, but Joe C. seems to prefer to hire coordinators over established head coaches... Muschamp becomes the new Georgia DC.  Despite the fact that I still think we should throw $5 million a year at Boom, we're probably not going to swing our dicks like that.  If Elko gets a HC job, we might be competing for a new DC with aggy, assuming we do the smart thing and are letting PK go after NSD1.  Things could get interesting in an area outside of HS recruiting between us.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Should be noted that 'Special Assistant to the Head Coach' is the title Jerry Kill had at TCU - so Gary P is definitely familiar with the idea.

I thought that sounded familiar to what Kill did. GP had his staff set up where pretty much his analysts or special assistants helped the coordinators create a scheme/game plan for the week while the position coaches were freed up to recruit and coach their groups. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think we will get a good read on Patterson's role based on the supporting staff. Patterson will want some of his assistants on staff if he's going to be truly involved with the defense. 

Assuming Texas actually hires Patterson of course. 

Why do we always never do the most logical smart move?

15 hours ago, ONE YARD said:

Dick was an on the field coach right?  It’s been so long I can’t remember

yes. he was AHC/DE coach but was basically brought on board to look at WTF was going on after the second black saturday.

Reese was let go and Gerg Robinson was hired for 2004.   

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Should be noted that 'Special Assistant to the Head Coach' is the title Jerry Kill had at TCU - so Gary P is definitely familiar with the idea.

Didn't realize Bob Stoops had this title at blOU:  "Stoops, who retired as head coach in June 2017, remains under contract with Oklahoma as a special assistant to the athletic director and thus was eligible to fill in on the practice field. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2020/12/01/bob-stoops-coaching-oklahoma-after-covid-issues-staff/3787190001/

Thx for this info @MrBig

• Hook 'Em 1

Patterson has always been edgy.  Something this defensive staff could use more of.  Hopefully, it's at least a Co-DC situation with PK focusing on the front and Gary on the back end.

I think Sark as offensive playcaller really needs the defense to run well on gameday without him.  Patterson seems like a good approach to that.

He has also been an excellent talent evaluator which it looks like we are going to need.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, burdine said:

Patterson has always been edgy.  Something this defensive staff could use more of.  Hopefully, it's at least a Co-DC situation with PK focusing on the front and Gary on the back end.

I think Sark as offensive playcaller really needs the defense to run well on gameday without him.  Patterson seems like a good approach to that.

He has also been an excellent talent evaluator which it looks like we are going to need.

This. Sark needs to free up as much time as possible to focus on the offense. Bringing in GP would help him do that while also hopefully fixing the defense.

I know, I know, people say that's not what a good head coach would need to do! Who fucking cares, it's what is needed and it could actually work.

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

While everyone else is in Ewers land, might be a good time to mention that Brian Kelly just canned Tommy Moffitt from LSU

I would like us to do that yes. Going from Herman's teams making every game a rat fight in the fourth quarter to Sark's teams rolling over and showing their bellies was not pleasant and S&C feels like a big part of that.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I wonder how that would work out - I read about the Alabama S&C setup when Sark was hired and they've got two guys they pulled from IMG who created a new Sports Science department at Alabama.

Pretty sure that guys a Moffitt disciple

Nope that was the last guy that left for GA

Edited by Michael Knight