2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

Depth Chart 1:

image.png.7d4861d3cb1efe04245848dc5fcb3170.png

Depth Chart 2:

image.png.9213782b2deff085a410a0687ecebbf7.png

you know Bama has their pick of 5* or high 4* RBs every year and they will be bringing one in behind you.

let's say he is competing just with his class + the class ahead of him - one side is Jaydon Blue and Jonathan Brooks (injured) and the other option is Camar Wheaton and some RB from LA? plus Jahmyr Gibbs?

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't think it was competition that ran him off.

This is true but Bama's RB room is actually kind of meh which is why they took Gibbs in the transfer portal. They have a bunch of dudes that can't stay healthy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

Depth Chart 1:

Depth Chart 2:

you know Bama has their pick of 5* or high 4* RBs every year and they will be bringing one in behind you.

let's say he is competing just with his class + the class ahead of him - one side is Jaydon Blue and Jonathan Brooks (injured) and the other option is Camar Wheaton and some RB from LA? plus Jahmyr Gibbs?

Actually, the fact that Bama went and got Gibbs means they probably told Miller he could get a lot of snaps as the number 2.  Us going 5-7 probably did us in more than anything.  Still, losing a RB doesn't exactly prompt me to start wringing my hands.  

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You guys that take a guy like Arch Manning at his word about staff members for various programs when he's talking to reporters should take it to DM so the rest of us don't have to be a party to the nonsense. It's fucking idiotic that you're drawing any conclusions on Arch Manning's recruitment or feelings about assistants based on what he told some $9.95er. 

I don’t understand this. It’s kind of ridiculous for you to ridicule me for pointing out an actual quote. That’s weird. If we can’t take players quotes into account then none of this matters. The anti Harris stuff is hearsay. Maybe it’s credible hearsay but it’s difficult to believe that it’s as bad as some say if he is still being employed. Harris has done some good things and built some solid relationships with recruits. That’s easily verifiable. I can attest to that personally because I know kids who he is currently trying to recruit. Moreover, it is not humanly possible for one person to be liked by everyone, even Carrington rubbed some dudes like Jeffery McCullough the wrong way. You could be right about Harris, if so I hope that he corrects his mistakes but you cant deny the positive that he’s done with many members of this class based on what has been reported.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Okay, that's what I was looking for, examples.

Any chance Miller didn't like our competition?  Though I suppose Bijan and RoJo are both gone after next season.

Anderson likes his rodeo stuff so I could see him genuinely wanting to go to A&M as bizarre as it sounds.  Some people like that hick culture.

What is the word on why people don't like Harris?  Can we define what immature means?  Like is there an example of what he does that pisses people off?

Miller wasn't worried about UT's depth chart. Miller resented UT at the same time he wanted to attend UT. There's a guy around Miller that is all UT, all the time. That guy has done some shit that Miller despises associated to creating problems within his family. On top of that, he wasn't impressed with Harris, who was also one of his main points of contact, especially since Drayton had a habit of outsourcing recruiting responsibilities to admin help. Alabama liked Miller as a player, caught UT sleeping on the recruitment, and we next thing we know, Saban slapped a purple mushroom tattoo on Seven Loss Steve's forehead to remind him of who his daddy is. 

Were Miller worried about depth charts, Alabama seems like a poor choice. Every player on Bama's roster at TB was either ranked above or around Miller when they signed or transferred.

In the interest of not pissing off friends, I'll keep my mouth shut on the details of the Anderson recruitment, but I will offer that it was a monumental fuckup across the whole way, and Harris was just a contributing factor. Part of the blame on that recruitment falls squarely on Bryce Anderson's head. He's also not very mature. He committed to Texas and made assurances and then waffled and went elsewhere. I won't be completely shocked if he's a guy transferring, potentially to Texas, after a short stay in College Station. Maybe not, but more likely than other guys to be out fast. 

As to Harris himself, I'll go back to what I've posted on here about him before. He's been elevated to a role in which his responsibilities involve developing depth of relationship with recruits. He was previously just a superfluous viber who'd play video games with guys and help them feel entertained. For the past year, he's also needed to be a guy that gets real with recruits, probes for concerns from their end, for data regarding who else is recruiting them and how, what's being promised, etc. He's also responsible for helping them see themselves at Texas and fitting into the program. The guy sucks at all of that. Carrington was great at it, but also burned bridges leaving and is relegated to TCU and we'll see how he ascends/descends from there.

• Hook 'Em 5

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Y'all saw a guy who was actually good at connecting with recruits with Carrington. Dude got raves from recruits who couldn't wait to take pictures with him, mothers tweeted about him, he was featured in commitment videos.

Do you really think occasional generic "he's a nice guy" quotes about Harris in 9.95er reports are the same thing?

I don’t think anyone believes he’s an elite Director of Recruiting. It’s just hard to believe that his presence in the program is something that should be lamented.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

Depth Chart 1:

Depth Chart 2:

not showing for Bama is Jace McClennan 

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I don’t think anyone believes he’s an elite Director of Recruiting. It’s just hard to believe that his presence in the program is something that should be lamented.

"He's bad at his job. I don't understand why people don't like the fact he still has his job."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I don’t understand this. It’s kind of ridiculous for you to ridicule me for pointing out an actual quote. That’s weird. If we can’t take players quotes into account then none of this matters. The anti Harris stuff is hearsay. Maybe it’s credible hearsay but it’s difficult to believe that it’s as bad as some say if he is still being employed. Harris has done some good things and built some solid relationships with recruits. That’s easily verifiable. I can attest to that personally because I know kids who he is currently trying to recruit. Moreover, it is not humanly possible for one person to be liked by everyone, even Carrington rubbed some dudes like Jeffery McCullough the wrong way. You could be right about Harris, if so I hope that he corrects his mistakes but you cant deny the positive that he’s done with many members of this class based on what has been reported.

We can talk recruiting all day long on this board without concerning ourselves one bit with the coachspeak that a guy like Arch Manning has been taught from childhood when it comes to the press.

I realize part of the fun for some of you guys is to read the interviews with players and then react, but if the interview shows zero discernible signs that a player has a single "con" for any of the schools he's discussing, he's bullshitting the reporter. That's 95% of the quotes from any recruiting article unless a player is off the record. When one does say something negative, we all see it and discuss it because it's at least not bullshit. Do you understand the difference?

As to Harris, there's simply a difference in how people on this board view program and team building from one another. Some of us want to see excellence within the organization and know what the traits for that look like, and the rest of the board is okay with new mediocrity because it isn't the same as the old mediocrity. As for guys like me, we're never going to be okay with "hey, some recruits seem to like this guy. that's more guys than a dead body, so it could be worse. i'll take him." So it's okay that we agree to disagree. 

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We can talk recruiting all day long on this board without concerning ourselves one bit with the coachspeak that a guy like Arch Manning has been taught from childhood when it comes to the press.

I realize part of the fun for some of you guys is to read the interviews with players and then react, but if the interview shows zero discernible signs that a player has a single "con" for any of the schools he's discussing, he's bullshitting the reporter. That's 95% of the quotes from any recruiting article unless a player is off the record. When one does say something negative, we all see it and discuss it because it's at least not bullshit. Do you understand the difference?

As to Harris, there's simply a difference in how people on this board view program and team building from one another. Some of us want to see excellence within the organization and know what the traits for that look like, and the rest of the board is okay with new mediocrity because it isn't the same as the old mediocrity. As for guys like me, we're never going to be okay with "hey, some recruits seem to like this guy. that's more guys than a dead body, so it could be worse. i'll take him." So it's okay that we agree to disagree. 

Thanks for this response. I understand your perspective better now and I think I tend to agree. I have seen so many disaster hires within this program over the years so I guess that it has made average seem attractive to some degree. Wow that’s crazy. You are right.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

people don't dislike him or think he is shitty as a person, they just seem to think he is less than great at his actual job.

he clearly is less good than Carrington was

i guess the question for you is, are you willing to settle for average (at best) when there are better potential options on the table AND if DOR is a job where you think it's ok to settle at all.

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Miller wasn't worried about UT's depth chart. Miller resented UT at the same time he wanted to attend UT. There's a guy around Miller that is all UT, all the time. That guy has done some shit that Miller despises associated to creating problems within his family. On top of that, he wasn't impressed with Harris, who was also one of his main points of contact, especially since Drayton had a habit of outsourcing recruiting responsibilities to admin help. Alabama liked Miller as a player, caught UT sleeping on the recruitment, and we next thing we know, Saban slapped a purple mushroom tattoo on Seven Loss Steve's forehead to remind him of who his daddy is. 

Were Miller worried about depth charts, Alabama seems like a poor choice. Every player on Bama's roster at TB was either ranked above or around Miller when they signed or transferred.

In the interest of not pissing off friends, I'll keep my mouth shut on the details of the Anderson recruitment, but I will offer that it was a monumental fuckup across the whole way, and Harris was just a contributing factor. Part of the blame on that recruitment falls squarely on Bryce Anderson's head. He's also not very mature. He committed to Texas and made assurances and then waffled and went elsewhere. I won't be completely shocked if he's a guy transferring, potentially to Texas, after a short stay in College Station. Maybe not, but more likely than other guys to be out fast. 

As to Harris himself, I'll go back to what I've posted on here about him before. He's been elevated to a role in which his responsibilities involve developing depth of relationship with recruits. He was previously just a superfluous viber who'd play video games with guys and help them feel entertained. For the past year, he's also needed to be a guy that gets real with recruits, probes for concerns from their end, for data regarding who else is recruiting them and how, what's being promised, etc. He's also responsible for helping them see themselves at Texas and fitting into the program. The guy sucks at all of that. Carrington was great at it, but also burned bridges leaving and is relegated to TCU and we'll see how he ascends/descends from there.

Appreciate the response, truly.  A lot of posters like to parrot your initial posts, but they don't have details.  I can read your posts too which is why I quote you and you alone.  I don't need their two cents on the subject because ultimately they have nothing of value to offer.  This is a very valuable and detailed response.

Hope Sark gets this ship righted, but if he doesn't at least NIL should help the next coach with regards to recruiting moving forward.

23 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This is an absolute microcosm of the entire staff (on and off the field) and hence the program right now. 

CheeryCheerfulLamb-size_restricted.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Say what you will about Burnt Ends and Horns with Heart, but if we flew an airplane banner to rid ourselves of some lackey in the recruiting department it would take this site's reputation to 11. 

Maybe this is what we should use the BAMF money on.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I'd mentioned that people had thrown his name out there when it first surfaced and IT published his name. I thought about it the next time it popped up somewhere and convinced myself it was lazy idiocy from $9.95ers for the complete lack of logic attached to it.

I believe I was the first to refer to a big name TE, people put two and two together on the name. FWIW the person I first heard it from does have a habit for lack of logic...

I have a serious issue with Harris staying if he is in fact a guy with talent that needs development. There is now an organizational issue that really can’t be fixed.

You leave him in the role, he won’t perform and Texas suffers. You demote him or reassign him, you derail his career and he poisons the organization at Texas. You put a boss over him, you create organizational confusion and you demotivate him, poisoning Texas.

Whereas, If you have him go somewhere else to get some good experience, he could actually come back someday potentially as a better manager.  And in the mean time, Texas can bring in a stronger person. 

The only hope here is that they have a person ready to come in at a senior level that will really mentor him, have the roles nailed down so tightly that there’s zero confusion, and Harris has the right attitude, as does the new hire. I put the odds at about 10% 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have a serious issue with Harris staying if he is in fact a guy with talent that needs development. There is now an organizational issue that really can’t be fixed.

You leave him in the role, he won’t perform and Texas suffers. You demote him or reassign him, you derail his career and he poisons the organization at Texas. You put a boss over him, you create organizational confusion and you demotivate him, poisoning Texas.

Whereas, If you have him go somewhere else to get some good experience, he could actually come back someday potentially as a better manager.  And in the mean time, Texas can bring in a stronger person. 

The only hope here is that they have a person ready to come in at a senior level that will really mentor him, have the roles nailed down so tightly that there’s zero confusion, and Harris has the right attitude, as does the new hire. I put the odds at about 10% 

Doubt this is the plan but Choice was GT’s offensive recruiting coordinator and supposedly a stud so could probably do some mentoring. Obv Glasscock and the other coaches can be teaching him too. Harris’ deleted tweet is actually interesting here - maybe some learning/mentorship plan is what sold him on staying.

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Doubt this is the plan but Choice was GT’s offensive recruiting coordinator and supposedly a stud so could probably do some mentoring. Obv Glasscock and the other coaches can be teaching him too. Harris’ deleted tweet is actually interesting here - maybe some learning/mentorship plan is what sold him on staying.

Texas isn’t the place to teach someone, especially for that role. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Are members of the coaching and support staff State of Texas employees?  If so, do they fall under the same HR guidelines (protection) that other state employees fall under?  The reason I ask is that it's damn near impossible to terminate any State of Texas employee, even "for cause."  Once you have passed the probationary period there is very little recourse for termination.  A job with the State of Texas is almost like for life if you want it.  I don't know, but this may contribute to the chronic bloat and rot inside Belmont.

24 minutes ago, Speedway said:

Are members of the coaching and support staff State of Texas employees?  If so, do they fall under the same HR guidelines (protection) that other state employees fall under?  The reason I ask is that it's damn near impossible to terminate any State of Texas employee, even "for cause."  Once you have passed the probationary period there is very little recourse for termination.  A job with the State of Texas is almost like for life if you want it.  I don't know, but this may contribute to the chronic bloat and rot inside Belmont.

Sure doesn't impact our ability to fire football coaches.

• Haha 2

Can’t believe anyone pays $9.95 to those sites when @closetojumping actually says what’s going on. Imagine IT or whoever writing something like what he wrote about Bryce Anderson above. 

I know some people who knew B Harris at LSU. Seems like a ‘nice’ guy but from what CTJ says, seems ill-suited for a ‘director’ role. Don’t think it’s catastrophic that he’s staying on in the role but also not a great data point.

Weird that the defense was god awful and everyone kept their job. 

6 hours ago, golfclap said:

who is they? Sarkisian and CDC? No one is holding them accountable for fielding the worst Texas team of the modern era.  

Uhm, WUT? Montana State was a fucking top 10 team and won the Patriot 3 years running only to be eliminated from the playoffs by NDSU, and SHSU twice. They won their conference 7 times in 10 years with Kramer and Ash before Choate was hired. Choate built fuckall. The dropoff in our LBs from Hutzler to Choate was a fucking cliff and there's no reason that he should still be employed at Texas. 

Patriot?? What the fuck conference do you think Montana State plays in? It sure the fuck isn't the Patriot with Lehigh, Fordham, Colgate, Bucknell, Holy Cross, Lafayette, and Georgetown.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sarks comments after the K state game were interesting he said “I’ve never majored in wildcat but we have the personnel to make that a big part of our offense moving forward” I bet Marion’s Go-Go could be used in the wildcat stuff. Sark could give him that portion of the O, if he wanted to

If he believes this, that has significant potential for next year.

There was some discussion about us not being able to sustain long drives this past year on this here board. Sark said that himself too.

Pretty sure we had 4 drives of 9 plays or more versus KState. Did we suddenly figure that out in game 12? I think No. Was RoJo not healthy enough for that critical mid-season stretch? Not sure. I believe it was a lack of commitment to it as a change of pace that was forced due to injuries in the final game. The wildcat with Robinson and Robinson. That’s a lot for a defense to account for. Add Whittington and Worthy, and you’ve got some great personnel for that package. It ain’t no Deuce Vaughn on 4th and 1 good, but it could work.

That was one potential solution to the times when we had stretches of 3 and outs. The jet sweep/pop pass was another drive starter we failed to use during these stretches. That was what kick started the offense vs WVU.

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

There was some discussion about us not being able to sustain long drives this past year on this here board. Sark said that himself too.

Pretty sure we had 4 drives of 9 plays or more versus KState. Did we suddenly figure that out in game 12? I think No. Was RoJo not healthy enough for that critical mid-season stretch? Not sure. I believe it was a lack of commitment to it as a change of pace that was forced due to injuries in the final game. The wildcat with Robinson and Robinson. That’s a lot for a defense to account for. Add Whittington and Worthy, and you’ve got some great personnel for that package. It ain’t no Deuce Vaughn on 4th and 1 good, but it could work.

That was one potential solution to the times when we had stretches of 3 and outs. The jet sweep/pop pass was another drive starter we failed to use during these stretches. That was what kick started the offense vs WVU.

Our online started playing better

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

this is what has me concerned about Sark.  He's a we're gonna run our shit guy.  He was literally forced into wildcat at the end of a gun.  for god's sake change some shit up and maybe we get a couple more wins.  how can you be a OC/Head Coach at this level at this time and not know wildcat inside and out?  its not the triple option or wishbone.  it's also why the second half collapses didn't shock me.  good DC's will stop your shit if you don't adjust.  yeah, I know, but what about Bama?  it will be years before we are in Bama's personnel position.  he could run his shit and eventually it would work. 

not firing PK or at least someone on defense is the icing on the cake.  epically awful.

the fortunate recruiting close with the great NIL stuff and Cristobal bolting for Miami may save him but I'm not really seeing a guy who is really ready to cut shitty coaches(Coleman was a Herman holdover). Hell he couldn't even fire Harris(going by what CTJ is saying it appears to be very warranted).

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this is what has me concerned about Sark.  He's a we're gonna run our shit guy.  He was literally forced into wildcat at the end of a gun.  for god's sake change some shit up and maybe we get a couple more wins.  how can you be a OC/Head Coach at this level at this time and not know wildcat inside and out?  its not the triple option or wishbone.  it's also why the second half collapses didn't shock me.  good DC's will stop your shit if you don't adjust.  yeah, I know, but what about Bama?  it will be years before we are in Bama's personnel position.  he could run his shit and eventually it would work. 

not firing PK or at least someone on defense is the icing on the cake.  epically awful.

the fortunate recruiting close with the great NIL stuff and Cristobal bolting for Miami may save him but I'm not really seeing a guy who is really ready to cut shitty coaches(Coleman was a Herman holdover). Hell he couldn't even fire Harris(going by what CTJ is saying it appears to be very warranted).

I agree with a lot of this but the "fortunate recruiting close" argument is overplayed. NIL is going to help Texas a lot and this staff is much better at recruiting than some posters like to admit. 

I don't see this recruiting class being an outlier or some type of miracle finish because Cristobal bolted. I bet Sark lands similar level classes on a yearly basis if he finds a way to win a few games. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Maybe it makes me a dumbass, but I’m choosing hope at this point. Hope that he can learn and adjust.

RoJo is the perfect wildcat QB. Well assuming he in fact can throw a little, but we haven’t seen that attempted. 4th and 1 versus Pig and 3rd and 1 versus OSU. Bijan blown up both times. We didn’t have enough bodies to block em or they were too far to get there. Those were true we’re gonna run our shit like you mentioned. Both crucial plays in determining the outcome.

Also in my mind was the thought that he’d overcome by stockpiling talent recruiting the Alabama way. NIL may help that. And the Oline haul says maybe he can.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I agree with a lot of this but the "fortunate recruiting close" argument is overplayed. NIL is going to help Texas a lot and this staff is much better at recruiting than some posters like to admit. 

I don't see this recruiting class being an outlier or some type of miracle finish because Cristobal bolted. I bet Sark lands similar level classes on a yearly basis if he finds a way to win a few games. 

I agree they have the chops but it was headed for likely outside the top 10.   they got a couple of pretty good assists.

yes it would be nice if the guy could coach us to 9 or 10 wins next year.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

this is what has me concerned about Sark.  He's a we're gonna run our shit guy.

That's what concerns you? Every coach ever is a 'run my shit' guy. He's going to run what he knows and what has been successful before and what is implemented in the game plan. No coach ever majors in something they aren't familiar with. The wildcat is a change-up. It should never be a fastball. It worked against Kansas State because they were not expecting it and they are a below average football team who were dropping defenders into Cedar Park out of fear that Casey Thompson was somehow going to throw one of his moon balls over their heads. The 4th and 1 at Arkansas and 3rd and 1 against OSU far from automatic wins if we converted. We were trailing both games (and by a wide margin in the Arkansas game).  Roschon Johnson wasn't even healthy the previous 3 weeks leading up to the Kansas State game so the opportunities to run it more weren't there.

It's a nice wrinkle to have and I'm sure it will be in the playbook next year, but it's not something you hang your hat on to get out of offensive funks against competent opponents. It's most successful when it's set up well by picking up yards with your base offense.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Did we suddenly figure that out in game 12?

We figured out in game 12 that are only path to a 5 point victory against a below average Big 12 team was to literally take the ball out of our QB's hands and start snapping it directly to one of the only players on the roster who has any heart.

Not something I would try to replicate against Bama next year. 

The wildcat is a nice changeup and RoJo is a good player, but if we are running it more than a handful of times per game next year against good teams we are in big trouble. 

• Hook 'Em 6