2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

This is an interesting update from FootballScoop, on Freeman/Notre Dame.  Includes names that could impact Ohio State, Iowa State, A&M, and others.

**********************************************************************************************************

Sources: Notre Dame on verge of filling special teams, offensive line roles; DC targets emerge
Marcus Freeman is moving swiftly to build his first full Notre Dame staff
JOHN BRICE

New Notre Dame coach Marcus Freeman is wasting no time in putting together his own Fighting Irish coaching staff.

Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that among the first order of business is the impending hiring of Brian Mason as the Irish’s special teams coordinator replacing Brian Polian.

247Sports also has reported Mason is expected to join Freeman’s staff. The move could be formalized in the next 24 to 48 hours, per sources.

It’s an expected significant first addition for Freeman and the Fighting Irish after Mason played a crucial role in the Cincinnati Bearcats’ run to the College Football Playoff semifinals.

Mason, a five-year veteran of Luke Fickell’s Bearcats’ staff, had served as the program’s special teams coordinator for the past four seasons, and also as the team’s “snipers” coach.

But Mason also has deep Big Ten experience at both Purdue and a lengthy run at Ohio State, where he worked with both Freeman and Fickell.

The move to add Mason comes on a day when the Irish also are parting ways with incumbent wide receivers coach Del Alexander and offensive line coach Jeff Quinn.

Sources tell FootballScoop that Quinn could be in line to join Brian Kelly’s inaugural LSU staff in an off-the-field role but that Quinn, a finalist last month for the offensive line position at Nebraska, also could have additional on-field opportunities to explore.

At Notre Dame, multiple sources tell FootballScoop that veteran offensive line coach Harry Hiestand, considered one of the foremost coaches at his position in the sport, with experience at both the highest levels of college football and in the NFL, is expected to rejoin the Irish coaching staff to oversee the offensive line.

Hiestand, with a couple of different NFL stops with the Chicago Bears and major-college football background at USC, Tennessee and Notre Dame, among others, spent six seasons at Notre Dame from 2012-17.

Amidst the transition from Kelly to Freeman, the Irish lost a pair of key wide receiver commitments, signed just one wideout in their 2022 class – at least the early portion of the class – and also on Sunday saw Kevin Austin elect to forgo his final season at Notre Dame.

But Alexander also helped the Irish develop a number of NFL wideouts during his five seasons in South Bend, Indiana. Most notably, the Irish trio of former wideouts in the NFL consisting of Chase Claypool, Miles Boykin and Equanimeous St. Brown went from Notre Dame stars to NFL starters.

Perhaps most pressing for Freeman among staff moves is at the defensive coordinator position.

Mike Elston, who largely handled play-calling duties in Notre Dame’s 37-35 Fiesta Bowl loss to Oklahoma State last Saturday that marked the first game of the Freeman era, has a guaranteed spot to remain on the Notre Dame staff. Elston was heavily pursued to join Kelly in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, at LSU, but despite visiting the LSU campus, elected to make both a family and career decision to remain on staff with the Fighting Irish.

So who are among Freeman’s top candidates? Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Iowa State defensive coordinator Jon Heacock, Auburn defensive coordinator Derek Mason, Tennessee defensive coordinator Tim Banks, current Jacksonville Jaguars safeties coach and former college defensive coordinator Chris Ash, and current Cincinnati Bengals linebackers coach Al Golden, the former Miami and Temple head coach are all under consideration and that Freeman also is holding some options close to the vest. 

Though they were not on staff together there, both Ash and Freeman have the obvious Ohio State connection. It’s Freeman’s alma mater and where he broke into the coaching ranks under former Buckeyes head coach Jim Tressel; Ash was on Urban Meyer’s Buckeyes’ staff in 2014-15 before Ash became head coach at Rutgers.

Offensively, Freeman has some flexibility. Lance Taylor, widely considered among college football’s brightest young coaches, has been serving as the Irish running backs coach but has positionally flexibility to coach wideouts.

Multiple sources also tell FootballScoop that Freeman could target his former college teammate and close friend Brian Hartline, who much like Freeman, has emerged as a flat-out star in the coaching profession who is viewed to have future head-coaching potential. 

The next days and weeks are certain to be fascinating as Freeman continues to mold this program into the version of Notre Dame football he sees for the future.

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

At Notre Dame, multiple sources tell FootballScoop that veteran offensive line coach Harry Hiestand, considered one of the foremost coaches at his position in the sport, with experience at both the highest levels of college football and in the NFL, is expected to rejoin the Irish coaching staff to oversee the offensive line.

Hiestand, with a couple of different NFL stops with the Chicago Bears and major-college football background at USC, Tennessee and Notre Dame, among others, spent six seasons at Notre Dame from 2012-17.

I'd be a little concerned about this hire assuming its an on-field role and not as an analyst/consultant.  Hiestand left Notre Dame to go back to the Bears where he was coaching just to accrue enough years to earn his NFL pension.  Despite being one of the all time greats (and having previously been a great coach in Chicago) he was a disaster and I have to wonder just how motivated he is for the job.  And he won't recruit anyone.   Will be interesting to see.

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'd be a little concerned about this hire assuming its an on-field role and not as an analyst/consultant.  Hiestand left Notre Dame to go back to the Bears where he was coaching just to accrue enough years to earn his NFL pension.  Despite being one of the all time greats (and having previously been a great coach in Chicago) he was a disaster and I have to wonder just how motivated he is for the job.  And he won't recruit anyone.   Will be interesting to see.

What makes you say this? His all time recruit list is pretty fine, and with his resume I assume to a degree he can toss his bona fides on the table and probably do pretty well.

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

What makes you say this? His all time recruit list is pretty fine, and with his resume I assume to a degree he can toss his bona fides on the table and probably do pretty well.

He'll be a decent enough recruiter, and will coach the fuck out of college OL. I wouldn't even interview him, just bring him on.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It was my understanding/recollection that one of the reasons he gave for taking the Bears job is that he was done with the recruiting aspect of college football - it was a young mans game. 

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

It was my understanding/recollection that one of the reasons he gave for taking the Bears job is that he was done with the recruiting aspect of college football - it was a young mans game. 

Maybe. Not sure how much he'll truly have to do, like I said. Sounds more like he just didn't want to work with Kelly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Sources: Notre Dame on verge of filling special teams, offensive line roles; DC targets emerge. Marcus Freeman is moving swiftly to build his first full Notre Dame staff  by JOHN BRICE

...Perhaps most pressing for Freeman among staff moves is at the defensive coordinator position. Mike Elston, who largely handled play-calling duties in Notre Dame’s 37-35 Fiesta Bowl loss to Oklahoma State last Saturday that marked the first game of the Freeman era, has a guaranteed spot to remain on the Notre Dame staff. Elston was heavily pursued to join Kelly in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, at LSU, but despite visiting because he visited the LSU campus, he elected to make both a family and career decision to remain on staff with the Fighting Irish.

Fixed it for John Brice

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

So are we done with staff changes? Players are about to arrive on campus in like a week.

Can't believe nothing has happened other than Coleman/Drayton. Good thing our defense was SO well coached last year

It appears so.  was predictable Sark would save his "I fired the DC" card for next year.  but you know..."patience, my friend."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

So are we done with staff changes? Players are about to arrive on campus in like a week.

Can't believe nothing has happened other than Coleman/Drayton. Good thing our defense was SO well coached last year

I am definitely a little surprised by it but the coaching carousel isn't anywhere close to over. And there's still a lot of unemployed guys out there who can be hired in off-field roles. The way I see it, constantly making reactionary decisions and shuffling chairs on the deck every year hasn’t been working, so maybe it’s time to stay the course for back to back years and not make wholesale changes and see what happens.

What’s the worst that can happen? We continue to suck? Already experienced 12 years straight of that.

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I am definitely a little surprised by it but the coaching carousel isn't anywhere close to over. And there's still a lot of unemployed guys out there who can be hired in off-field roles. The way I see it, constantly making reactionary decisions and shuffling chairs on the deck every year hasn’t been working, so maybe it’s time to stay the course for back to back years and not make wholesale changes and see what happens.

What’s the worst that can happen? We continue to suck? Already experienced 12 years straight of that.

Yeah not over yet I suppose. I'm not saying to fire everyone but clearly something wasn't working. 

Even if not on-field, I expected changes to the support staff, etc.

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Bowl season just now ending except for Bama and Jawja staffs.  This is also the final NFL regular season weekend.  And of course, if you're after an assistant that is on an NFL team headed for the playoffs, it might mean an additional few more weeks delay before hiring them.

Still might be reasons no moves have been made yet on Texas defensive staff ??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah not over yet I suppose. I'm not saying to fire everyone but clearly something wasn't working. 

Even if not on-field, I expected changes to the support staff, etc.

Oh for sure, something was wrong and it wasn't all on the players. Maybe PK had a come to Jesus meeting with Sark after the season and said I screwed up X,Y,Z and this is what we are going to do to fix it. I have no idea. It's probably not something we will know until the ball is kicked off next fall.

Hopefully the support staff stuff becomes more and more background noise because we have actual recruiters at pretty much all 10 on-field spots now. Guys like Carrington and Harris (to a much lesser extent) seemed to be counted on more on previous staffs because they were having to try to pick up the slack for a position coaches who couldn't pull their weight on the trail. Wasn't the rumor that Drayton basically outsourced a lot of his recruiting to Harris? Certain coaches seemed to need someone else to help do their job for them and find out information about kids. IT even mentioned today that they don't think Choice would have lost someone like Miller last cycle. The upgrades at RB and WR coach should hopefully help all around because they can relate to the guys they are recruiting and actually do damage on the trail. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you saw the subtext it said he recently took a huge paycut. So...yeah. 

I knew there had been a cut in salary, but holy hell it was a lot more than I had remembered. I just knew he got the years and there was a lot of incentive based stuff attached. Ya, definitely squeezing.

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe. Royal came here. Campbell seems like your typically Midwestern guys they'd kick the tires on, I'd guess. 

23 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Toothy from over there in Ames, maybe...

What Heacock does with the domers DC job will provide a lot of insight here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, RGBIII said:

This is got to be Harbaugh course correcting after taking a pay cut last year

Idk, man. Harbaugh is a better NFL coach and could leave without entirely embarrassing himself at his alma mater. There are some nice open jobs and soon to be open jobs like Minnesota, Chicago, LV, and Trevorville to fall into, so, yeah. I think he leaves. 

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Idk, man. Harbaugh is a better NFL coach and could leave without entirely embarrassing himself at his alma mater. There are some nice open jobs and soon to be open jobs like Minnesota, Chicago, LV, and Trevorville to fall into, so, yeah. I think he leaves. 

Maybe, either way he will get paid. Raiders or Broncos make sense

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

This is got to be Harbaugh course correcting after taking a pay cut last year

Hope Harbaugh going to the NFL comes to fruition. Some of these NFL head coaches make stupid money while providing mediocre results at best. It's not like Harbaugh was terrible with the 49ers as he made the NFC Championship game each of his first three seasons and played for a Super Bowl.

You know Jacksonville has decent weather all year, Jim.

Edited by UDontKnow

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I doubt he would go to Jacksonville, but boy, if he went there and turned things around after the Urban Meyer disaster, that would be one way for him to get back at Meyer.

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The McCaskey's love them some Harbaugh - I expect the Bears to make a big move to try and get him.  And then try to re-unite him with Vic Fangio (as DC) in Chicago.

Wasn't Day rumored for the Bears pretty heavily? I thought that plus the Coombs uncertainty was why we were able to flip Brooks.

Edited by Vertigo

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Wasn't Day rumored for the Bears pretty heavily? I thought that plus the Coombs uncertainty was why we were able to flip Brooks.

I think that rumor was solely based on the fact that Justin Fields is QB in Chicago.  George McCaskey and Harbaugh have a friendship going back 30 years and it would be a pretty big shock if they didn't reach out to him (or haven't already) once Nagy is gone.  They're likely hiring a new GM as well though - so that may delay/complicate things.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think that rumor was solely based on the fact that Justin Fields is QB in Chicago.  George McCaskey and Harbaugh have a friendship going back 30 years and it would be a pretty big shock if they didn't reach out to him (or haven't already) once Nagy is gone.  They're likely hiring a new GM as well though - so that may delay/complicate things.

Godfrey has mentioned it, so I'm not sure if it's based solely on that 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

well we did the Todd Orlando experience one extra year when it was obvious he needed to go.

something could change but I doubt it at this point.  only hope is some who knows what the fuck they are doing against big 12 offenses gets on the support staff to help.

we are drawing to an inside straight for next year on D.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

well we did the Todd Orlando experience one extra year when it was obvious he needed to go.

Orlando's 2018 year certainly wasn't as bad as this past year, but I understand your point. The warning signs were there, just like the warning signs were there this past year. Orlando didn't use the offseason to adjust and I also think his overall strategy of just trying to blitz more to cover up weaknesses was never going to work. We will see if PK suffers a similar fate. We will likely know by the end of the UTSA game.

Edited by Hookem2147