2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Might be only me, but Choate just tweeting out school mascots of places he visited seems like wasted opportunities.

Send out pics with Coaches that you've just visited Jeff...Ā 

in fairness, Coleman helped him set up his account and gave him pointers.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Might be only me, but Choate just tweeting out school mascots of places he visited seems like wasted opportunities.

It is not only you. His timeline makes him look like the house divided bot or somethingĀ 

https://twitter.com/HouseDividedBot/status/1486406166695587847?s=20

• Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Itā€™s fucking lazy. I get that maybe he isnā€™t strong at Twitter, but fuck man, if youā€™re gonna do it, fucking do it. Donā€™t copy/paste the same fucking thing over and over. Itā€™s not a good look.

I get Sark took a shot with PK and Choate.Ā  resumes were decent.Ā  It didn't work.Ā  time to move on.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, kwood4408 said:

Good to see Choate is in the high school football hotbed of Kansas City.

Missouri always has a few quality recruits, and they're almost always willing to leave the state. We've taken a kid or two from there in several recent classes.

For example, you can see why he was at Platte County:Ā https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=mo

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Agree.Ā  Other coaches,Ā  the high school sends out the tweet thanking the coaches for stopping in.Ā  Anyone have evidence that JC actually has done more than drive through the parking lot to see who was out front?Ā  Reminds me of employees who suck always self promoting to try to get others to believe they don't suck instead of letting their work speak for itself.Ā 

• Rage+1 1

Missouri always has a few quality recruits, and they're almost always willing to leave the state. We've taken a kid or two from there in several recent classes.
For example, you can see why he was at Platte County:Ā https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=mo

There are always a few guys but as a whole, the area is extremely weak for football talent. I lived in Leeā€™s Summit for about 12 years and watched a number of HS games and it was on par with JV talent for the most part. The wild thing is how great the ā€œgoodā€ players look when playing against scrubs. Worked with Aldon Smiths dad and went to some of his games and he might as well have been playing against air. You are right though, unless they have ties to MU they are always looking to go out of state.
  • Like 1

Gary Patterson nugget from 247

Ā 

Ā 

GARY PATTERSON ADJUSTING TO NEW ROLE AT TEXAS

Ā 

10881252.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Ā© Horns247, 247Sports)

Former TCU head coachĀ Gary PattersonĀ has been unofficially on the job for a few weeks and he hasnā€™t wasted any time getting to work at Texas. Patterson has been handling a number of different responsibilities to help the staff, including recruiting evaluations (more on that in a minute), assisting with junior day and monitoring winter workouts.

According to sources, Pattersonā€™s presence has been noticeable at workouts and heā€™s attended every workout while the coaches are out on the road recruiting.

Ā 

Not only has Patterson been present and monitoring workouts, heā€™s also been using this time to get to know the players on campus. Patterson has never been afraid to do things his own way, and it doesnā€™t seem heā€™s been shy about getting involved in the short time since he arrived at Texas.

As for recruiting, I personally hope Patterson has some sort of voice in evaluating prospects. His eye, especially at the defensive back position, could be whatā€™s needed for Texas.

Ā 

Some may recall that Patterson served as a DB coach at several stops prior to him taking over as TCU head coach. When TCU was at its best, a big part of the success was his staffā€™s ability to evaluate and land talented defensive backs.

For a long time TCU was among the best in the country in finding guys in the secondary who turned into NFL players. Guys likeĀ Jason Verrett,Ā Innis Gaines,Ā Ar'Darius Washington,Ā Trevon MoehrigĀ andĀ Travin HowardĀ all play in the league at the moment. This is an area where Patterson could really help Texas on the recruiting front.

Ā 

Speaking of the defensive backs, there is going to be a lot of opportunity and a number of candidates available to fill roles in the secondary for Texas this season.

D'Shawn JamisonĀ andĀ Anthony CookĀ return as veterans in the cornerback room, thoughĀ Jahdae BarronĀ andĀ Kitan CrawfordĀ continue their fight to emerge at the position.Ā Jamier Johnson, along with mid-year enrolleesĀ Ryan Watts,Ā Terrance BrooksĀ andĀ Jaylon Guilbeau, will also work to find their place throughout the spring.

Ā 

Jerrin ThompsonĀ is among theĀ lone veterans returning to the safety room. With the limited experience and depth at the safety position,Ā JD CoffeyĀ andĀ Bryan Allen Jr.Ā could have the chance to prove themselves this spring.

Spring ball will provide some opportunities for playing time in the secondary, but weā€™re hearing the staff liked what they saw from Barron last season and the limited looks they had of Coffey. Sources told Horns247 the coaching staff wants to see Crawford grab the opportunity because of his athleticism and natural ability.

The secondary doesnā€™t lack talent, but there isnā€™t a ton of experience across the board at the moment. While spring could answer a few of those questions, the group is a bit of a concern at the moment.

Ā 

Ā 

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gary Patterson nugget from 247

Ā 

Ā 

His is some Sabanesque shit right here and I like it. All the coaches on the road recruiting? Weā€™ll just leave the ā€œSpecial Assistantā€ to monitor things.

I hope it pays off and he is truly motivated to help the Horns. If he isnā€™t he is doing a pretty good job faking it so far.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1