California Getting a Jump on Black Friday Shopping

Harrison Bergeron

Just took a Texan around for two days to see the sights and enjoy the weather on the peninsula.  Verdict: way too cold and oh my god it’s so expensive.  

Counterpoint:  Lubbock. 

I couldn’t think of a couple more diametrically different places in the US.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I just took a look at the MLS.   Palm Springs has 30 active listings under $300,000.  All condos, of course. 

For Single Family Homes, there are a dozen under $500,000.  Highest active listing is 12,900,000.  

I was going to say, there are plenty of SFHs under $1M considering the median price on a house in the state is like $750k, but then I realized what a bizarre statement that is to a Texan audience. To CR this thread, fuck the 50+ years of NIMBYism that have left most current and future Californians a generation of renters. Austinites should pay attention. 

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

• 1 month later...

Nothing to see here.  Just the Federal Government surrendering it building in San Francisco.

https://fortune.com/2023/08/14/remote-work-federal-workers-san-francisco-work-from-home-crime-drugs/

“In light of the conditions at the [federal building], we recommend employees…maximize the use of telework for the foreseeable future,” HHS Assistant Secretary for Administration Cheryl R. Campbell wrote in a memo.

iT's HaPpEniNg EvErYWheRe!!1!!11

• 1 month later...

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/26/target-says-it-will-close-nine-stores-citing-violence-and-theft-.html

• Target said it will close nine stores across the country after struggling with crime and safety threats at those locations.
  • Target, which has nearly 2,000 stores in the U.S., has been outspoken about organized retail crime at its stores and said theft has driven higher levels of shrink.
  • Target is closing locations in New York City, Seattle, San Francisco and Portland.

Those cities have something in common.  

For the Surly Leftists though:

Sesame Street Mystery GIF by PBS KIDS

Excited to hear about the law and order in those cities from @Foosters

Further fun in the land of law and order.

https://abc7news.com/oakland-business-strike-businesses-close-tuesday-crime-robberies/13830589/

"Demand that our governments - city, state and federal - fulfill their end of the social contract to provide basic safety in our streets," said Jennifer Tran, Ph. D, President of the Oakland Vietnamese Chamber of Commerce, to applauses. "Without basic safety, there is no business. Without basic safety, there is no community. Without safety, there is no city."

RiGhT WiNg FoX ProPagAnDA!!11!!!!!!!1

Higher levels of shrinkage?  We sure Target wasn't just in the pool too long?  ;) 

Urban Target locations on such tight margins, given the overhead of their real estate, that any tick up in any kinda loss (theft, employee attrition, utility rate increases, etc.) can break a Target easily.  9 outta 2000 is actually low considering inflation and G&A overhead at their inner-city stores.  shit, look at the one on the Drag by UT as an example.  You can't get within 50 yards of it during move-in week each semester, but the other 49 weeks a year---it's a ghost town.  It's 2 employees and a security guard, they can't afford anything else.  It looks like a K-Mart that's been looted most of the year because they don't even bother to re-stock shit.  Many of those "hip, urban Targets" are just subsidized "retail activations" held up by the suburban larger stores that make the company all its money.  I guess, that and online orders which is how most urban residents shop at targets anyway.  Mainly because it fucking blows to carry all that shit home 9 blocks in the winter.  Massive footprint retail is dying anyway, may as well speed it up by grabbing some gum and boxed wine out the side door.

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Further fun in the land of law and order.

https://abc7news.com/oakland-business-strike-businesses-close-tuesday-crime-robberies/13830589/

"Demand that our governments - city, state and federal - fulfill their end of the social contract to provide basic safety in our streets," said Jennifer Tran, Ph. D, President of the Oakland Vietnamese Chamber of Commerce, to applauses. "Without basic safety, there is no business. Without basic safety, there is no community. Without safety, there is no city."

RiGhT WiNg FoX ProPagAnDA!!11!!!!!!!1

your party has a congress person who lied ABOUT everything to win an election, he catfished his district and your party does nothing about it because losing a seat is more important then doing what is right

your party has a congress person who goes out in public has her fake tits fondled and rubs her dates cock in front a large group of people and your party does nothing about it, family values my ass

The head of you party is under 90+ felony indictments, is a pathological liar, is completely disconnected from reality, tried to overthrow the US government and your party supports him

So fuck you from us "lefties" if we don't take a word or point or "owning" the libs seriously, GET YOUR FUCKING HOUSE IN ORDER  before you start flinging poo

Edited by Smax
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Smax said:

your party has a congress person who lied ABOUT everything to win an election, he catfished his district and your party does nothing about it because losing a seat is more important then doing what is right

your party has a congress person who goes out in public has her fake tits fondled and rubs her dates cock in front a large group of people and your party does nothing about it, family values my ass

The head of you party is under 90+ felony indictments, is a pathological liar, is completely disconnected from reality and your party supports him

So forgive us "lefties" if we don't take a word or point or "owning" the libs seriously, GET YOUR FUCKING HOUSE IN ORDER  before you start flinging poo

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGZJd0GZ6zISBTKokH8NGCAQooCRol-RSTAlv8kL--BuGyIU54

tell me more the office GIF

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Like, with a cloth????

You're fine with minority business owners getting crimed out of business.  Noted.

It would be one thing if you brought a coherent argument with data to support your points but you don't. You posts memes and gotcha headlines, you're nothing but a worthless troll who brings ZERO to this forum. Welcome to my ignore list

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

You watched that and think it proves all is well in Seattle?

LOL

You watched that and actually believe that the reporter saw someone "shooting up" on his drive from the airport to his hotel?

Not saying that it doesn't happen, but, man, the consistency that Republicans see homeless people doing heroin the second they set foot in a big, scary city is uncanny!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

reading(or in this case video watching) is fundamental

from above

Fair enough.

On that Fox News segment, the clearly gay reporter taking that job just so he can be on tv is so bleak. We've got way too many disappointed theater kids in this country.

• Haha 1

And what I found was that the main information that we have about retail theft ostensibly increasing actually comes from a lobbyist company — a retail lobbying firm that says, “Retail crime is up, it costs us $90 billion a year, it’s a big issue, and we need stiffer sentences in order to deal with it.” But when I dug deep into their report, what I found was that retail theft, by their own accounting, has remained stable from 2016 to about 2022. So even their own numbers don’t give us a sense that the problem is increasing.

https://www.marketplace.org/2023/09/11/is-retail-theft-really-rising/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, elfenix said:

As we are all fully aware, facts and figures don't stack up to Facebook memes, feelings and Fox News reports. 

They (you know who) FEEL like violent crime, retail theft, etc. is increasing, so therefore, it is.  Fuck your facts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Explosion Reaction GIF

Not what I'm saying at all.

90% of the cities worth a shit in this country at least skew towards Democrat rule. Every city has rough areas, some more so than others. Crime is bad. Homelessness is a tragedy. We shouldn't want our leaders to have apathy towards it. Do you actually think that they do? Do Republicans have any suggested solutions for the above, or nah?

The constant hand-wringing about "Democratic-run cities [that you haven't been to] that are dissolving into crime-ridden hell holes!" is such obvious, manufactured bullshit from the usual right wing think tanks that of course it's your pet project.

I could show you hundreds of statistics proving that it's generally safer to live in a city than the country, and you wouldn't give a shit. Because it's all about the narrative.

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, Js1 said:

As we are all fully aware, facts and figures don't stack up to Facebook memes, feelings and Fox News reports. 

They (you know who) FEEL like violent crime, retail theft, etc. is increasing, so therefore, it is.  Fuck your facts.

People in the communities served by the above mentioned Targets are going to feel it in their pocket book.

Just wait for the inevitable cries of Target being racist for closing inner city stores.

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

LOL.  I don't watch the fox news drivel that is posted here, but my wife pulled it up on her phone earlier and I caught a few seconds of it.  My god, they really just don't give a FUCK about reality.  People literally telling them they are full of shit and the cities aren't that bad, but the "reporter" just kept plowing ahead like they were in full agreement.  Just wild.

On 6/28/2023 at 9:29 AM, Biff Tannen said:

I would argue this is mostly because of Fox News.  The rurals are scared shitless of an imaginary boogey man they've been conditioned to fear over the past 40 years.

I live in rural, small town texas. My liberal friends in San Fran, Europe, even in Austin, worry about my safety.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just returned from LA after dropping off my kid for college.  Spent a week every day from 9am-midnight out and about shopping, eating, attending sports events and tourist sites.  Amazingly I didn’t get robbed, assaulted, raped or murdered once even though I wasnt open carrying.  Also didn’t see any crime being committed except for a couple trophy wives misdriving 500k vehicles.  I feel so lucky to have made it out alive!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

i normally don't even watch these clips but thanks for this one. that lady at the end was awesome.  her 'oh no you were in a car they were hurting you so bad' bit had me laughing.  good for her.

Republicans being scared of cool places seems like a win/win honestly.  

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Just returned from LA after dropping off my kid for college.  Spent a week every day from 9am-midnight out and about shopping, eating, attending sports events and tourist sites.  Amazingly I didn’t get robbed, assaulted, raped or murdered once even though I wasnt open carrying.  Also didn’t see any crime being committed except for a couple trophy wives misdriving 500k vehicles.  I feel so lucky to have made it out alive!

No bum poop on the sidewalk? 

Tell me how many other Target stores exist in these 4 cities. I know, do you?

Tell me how many competitors exists in these cities. I know, do you?

Cool. Go fuck yourself afterwards. Thinking there isn’t competition that exists in cities for these customers shows again you haven’t been to these places.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Incredulity said:

funny ha ha

or 

funny as in the dark human tragedy unfolding in San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, New York....

You have solutions to that dark human tragedy?

I'm betting it involves locking non-violent offenders away for life in for-profit jails.

11 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Tell me how many other Target stores exist in these 4 cities. I know, do you?

Tell me how many competitors exists in these cities. I know, do you?

I’ll gladly listen to your report, Slugger.

12 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Cool. Go fuck yourself afterwards

Awww… you got upset.  It’s going to be ok, Tiger.