Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

I have always gotten the perception Riley is a total bitch. Running off to the Pac 12 to avoid the SEC merely reinforces this, and also why I don't think he is a world class coach who will rake in championships. Guys like Saban who have the edge run to the fight, not away. Saban went straight into the conference who was in the middle of an unprecedented run of titles and basically lifted his leg on them.

Not really?  

Saban joined Alabama on Jan 3, 2007.  Florida wouldn't win the 2006 season title until 5 days later. 

The previous 6 champions: Texas, USC, LSU, Ohio State, Miami, OU.

They were not on an unprecedent run of titles when Saban joined Alabama.   5 days after Saban started, the SEC reeled off the first of 7 straight titles, 3 of those won by Saban.  Unless he could see the future for this "unprecedent run", the SEC had only won 1 title since 2000 (and it was Saban's!) 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

I have always gotten the perception Riley is a total bitch. Running off to the Pac 12 to avoid the SEC merely reinforces this, and also why I don't think he is a world class coach who will rake in championships. Guys like Saban who have the edge run to the fight, not away. Saban went straight into the conference who was in the middle of an unprecedented run of titles and basically lifted his leg on them.

Lol. Saban went to Alabama in 2007. SEC had won a staggering one in a row. Hardly in the middle of an unprecedented run. And that run was largely due to Saban.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lol. Saban went to Alabama in 2007. SEC had won a staggering one in a row. Hardly in the middle of an unprecedented run. And that run was largely due to Saban.

Florida didn't win that title until 5 days after Saban took the job.  So more like 0 in a row. 

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I've always gotten the impression that coach leaving is like a break-up. Just go. You aren't going to be "friends" afterward. There's no real benefit to sticking around any longer than you need.

Now leaving in the middle of a dinner with recruits like Tuberville? That's a bit different.

Yup. Nothing bitchy about it. Go in, drop the news, wish them the best, move on. No point sitting around hugging and crying.

Just now, Js1 said:

Florida didn't win that title until 5 days after Saban took the job.  So more like 0 in a row. 

Well I stand corrected. Bringing it back to that original statement about running versus fighting, I think Riley is smart to "run." I don't think it's the scared decision. I think it's the objectively smart move.

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

The plane did not turn around. Repeat, did not turn around.

Waiiiiiiitttt a  minute. So he boards in the middle of the night. Flies WEST to California. And then lands in daylight? And with completely different clothing on? 

We're supposed to believe this is the real Lincoln Riley and not some Hollywood stunt double designed to cause havoc in the college football world with this fake Riley to USC story? Nice try. Wake up sheeple.

11 minutes ago, G650 said:

The SEC that Saban went into had just won 1 championship with a team that many thought shouldn’t have even been invited to the championship game, and was 3 years removed from having an undefeated Auburn get left out of the championship game.  He created the SEC dominance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Waiiiiiiitttt a  minute. So he boards in the middle of the night. Flies WEST to California. And then lands in daylight? And with completely different clothing on? 

We're supposed to believe this is the real Lincoln Riley and not some Hollywood stunt double designed to cause havoc in the college football world with this fake Riley to USC story? Nice try. Wake up sheeple.

True. And where are all the in-breds with trumpets and trombones? (asking for aggy)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

You're gonna have to stay with me here, what if, what if, he changed his clothes on the plane?

Anyone recognize the other dudes?  One of them looked like he was 30.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

No idea what to make of the next OU hire. It's been over twenty years since they've done a coaching search. Stoops can do the bowl game, but he's gained 30+ pounds and has been enjoying the good life. He's made his money, & can't imagine him wanting to jump back into the grind, long term. There's not a slam dunk hire out there. It's a dangerous time for the Sooners. 

It’s more then 30. Hope he checking his blood sugar.

12 minutes ago, Chopper said:

There are quotes above about an extremely quick team meeting. "Goodbye. Please understand. I'm leaving," and that was about it. Sure I get he's out the door but damn he's been there for years with some of those guys. He gave them 2 minutes of his time. I get where someone could say it's just business but to me his approach to the team was callous and bitchy. I don't care if he emailed his resignation to the administration...I do think he owed more to the team and players. Like at least 5 minutes more.

I'm not saying he needed to hang out for a few weeks. Don't get where people are reading that.

It's very rare that you see a coach with this level of success leave to join a program with far less recent success. If a guy rips off a couple of seasons at a non p5 school and takes a job at a blueblood, it's easier to justify and the school kind of expects it.

Leaving OU for any job not in the NFL was always gonna end this way. It's a big FU to the team. I don't recall, but I'm guessing Jimbo didn't spend much time singing Kumbaya with his team in Tallahassee. These meetings will never go well.

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Yup. Nothing bitchy about it. Go in, drop the news, wish them the best, move on. No point sitting around hugging and crying.

Agree.  Maybe at one point in time I would say the coach owes the players more since he sold them a bill of goods when they were 17 years old, but in the age of the transfer portal and NIL they are capable of making/taking these business decisions.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I would just like to point out the dynamic of stoops and ou handing Riley a very well run program on a silver platter. That doesn’t happen very often in CFB.

And what did he do? He stuck it up their ass and nuked the whole thing by taking the whole staff to a different school with apparently zero notice.

That’s some heartless shit. I’m sure they’ll be fine but it makes me smile.

My business partner is an OU fan. When I spoke to him this morning he sounded extremely sad. They are all taking it hard. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not really?  

Saban joined Alabama on Jan 3, 2007.  Florida wouldn't win the 2006 season title until 5 days later. 

The previous 6 champions: Texas, USC, LSU, Ohio State, Miami, OU.

They were not on an unprecedent run of titles when Saban joined Alabama.   5 days after Saban started, the SEC reeled off the first of 7 straight titles, 3 of those won by Saban.  Unless he could see the future for this "unprecedent run", the SEC had only won 1 title since 2000 (and it was Saban's!) 

Yes, I definitely start the run with Saban, and he absolutely knew where CFB was heading

10 minutes ago, Blotto said:

It's very rare that you see a coach with this level of success leave to join a program with far less recent success. If a guy rips off a couple of seasons at a non p5 school and takes a job at a blueblood, it's easier to justify and the school kind of expects it.

Leaving OU for any job not in the NFL was always gonna end this way. It's a big FU to the team. I don't recall, but I'm guessing Jimbo didn't spend much time singing Kumbaya with his team in Tallahassee. These meetings will never go well.

Gotta give him a little credit for meeting with the team at all. As mentioned previously, Tuberville didn't even do that and managed to insult several recruits at the same time. 

That’s the easiest job in America to replace though.  Find someone that can say “just grab the dude in front of you and don’t let go”

We’re now 15 years removed from having an above average offensive line unit. Most years, we struggle to field five linemen who can get a single hand on people in pass protection and consistently get hats on people in the run game (let alone be able to square up and hold people).

Aftermaths of our inside run game include big dudes by themselves looking lost or dudes on the ground next to one or more of their teammates.

4 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Gotta give him a little credit for meeting with the team at all. As mentioned previously, Tuberville didn't even do that and managed to insult several recruits at the same time. 

When Les Miles left OSU, he wanted to address the team and the AD told him to GTFO. Maybe ou didn't want him in there for more than a couple of minutes.

3 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

We’re now 15 years removed from having an above average offensive line unit. Most years, we struggle to field five linemen who can get a single hand on people in pass protection and consistently get hats on people in the run game (let alone be able to square up and hold people).

Aftermaths of our inside run game include big dudes by themselves looking lost or dudes on the ground next to one or more of their teammates.

I think that was an "OU holds on every play" joke

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Is there a chance Venables would come back?  Didn't Stoops basically throw him under the bus?

Yes, but we are talking about a HC gig at a legit football factory.  He would probably get over it.  I get that he probably doesn't have much desire to be a HC because if he did he would probably already be one, but I doubt he'd turn down that kind of money.

Stoops is the worry. No not that he is going to go back to full time on the field coaching where he was starting to lose a step but that he’s now involved. Folks are calling him interim coach. My guess is he is going to be more hiring consultant under the guise of interim coach. 

“Bob, get in there for the next month. You already have kept up with the program go look under the hood at the nuts and bolts and tell us what we need to hire for in terms of head coach and staff.”

What a fucking luxury to still have a former coach that decorated you can use in that manner.  I’m not counting on OU screwing up a transition with him positively involved. They sure as shit didn’t the last time he set them up with Lincoln. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This may go down as one of the biggest blows to a program ever if they don't get the incoming hire right.

Lied to everyone 
Nuked the program two weeks before NSD1
Raided staff
Raided recruits and stole their largest recruiting pipeline
Piefaced the administration
Ran off in the middle of the night

It's almost as if... Lincoln Riley was a sleeper cell instituted long ago by the BOMC.   Long game bitches. 

Unfortunately I have had the same thoughts about the Aggies and Sark.

I have seen people saying that Castiglione has known for a while, but I can't see how that would be the case. The fact that Lincoln is about to torpedo their recruiting class could do some real damage.

16 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Is there a chance Venables would come back?  Didn't Stoops basically throw him under the bus?

I keep hearing whispers that something in his background causes issues for HC roles.  I have no clue what it is, probably just BS.  I think he's been good staying at Clemson because one of his sons is on the team.

43 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This may go down as one of the biggest blows to a program ever if they don't get the incoming hire right.

Lied to everyone 
Nuked the program two weeks before NSD1
Raided staff
Raided recruits and stole their largest recruiting pipeline
Piefaced the administration
Ran off in the middle of the night

It's almost as if... Lincoln Riley was a sleeper cell instituted long ago by the BOMC.   Long game bitches. 

I definitely hate Lincoln Riley a lot less than I did a couple of days ago.

This almost makes up for what he did to that brisket.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

I would have guessed -- whether Riley is a man of character or not -- he is at the least a man who attempts to portray that he's of strong character. The news of him being extremely callous and bitchy out the door is surprising. But it is, how you say, totally fucking awesome! Fuck BLO U!

I love it.  He wasn’t even told about the move to the SEC.  LOLOL.  Byeeee

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

I keep hearing whispers that something in his background causes issues for HC roles.  I have no clue what it is, probably just BS.  I think he's been good staying at Clemson because one of his sons is on the team.

The only thing I'm "aware" of (thirdhand rumors, etc.) is that he had an issue with a donor's daughter, but that was 20+ years ago at KSU.  He's not welcome there, certainly, but the rest of it is on his temperament and desire to focus only on a smaller job.

4 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

The only thing I'm "aware" of (thirdhand rumors, etc.) is that he had an issue with a donor's daughter, but that was 20+ years ago at KSU.  He's not welcome there, certainly, but the rest of it is on his temperament and desire to focus only on a smaller job.

That’s what I’ve heard.  Seems odd.  I did hear he can be incredibly temperamental.  But I don’t see how that’s a deal breaker if you’re winning games. 

14 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Stoops is the worry. No not that he is going to go back to full time on the field coaching where he was starting to lose a step but that he’s now involved. Folks are calling him interim coach. My guess is he is going to be more hiring consultant under the guise of interim coach.  “Bob, get in there for the next month. You already have kept up with the program go look under the hood at the nuts and bolts and tell us what we need to hire for in terms of head coach and staff.”   What a fucking luxury to still have a former coach that decorated you can use in that manner.  I’m not counting on OU screwing up a transition with him positively involved. They sure as shit didn’t the last time he set them up with Lincoln. 

Bob is like the "Cheshire Cat" now that Lincoln is gone -- has to be some great stories around Ole Stoop's dinner table after his brother Mike was fired by Riley.

BbJntxAIGQ=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

The SEC that Saban went into had just won 1 championship with a team that many thought shouldn’t have even been invited to the championship game, and was 3 years removed from having an undefeated Auburn get left out of the championship game.  ESPN created the SEC dominance. 

FIFY

5 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

There are no skeletons in the closet that allow you to be one of the highest paid coordinators at one of the premiere programs but keep you from getting HC gigs.  There are plenty of programs that want to win at all costs.  It's as simple as he likes where he's at and doesn't want to cut his HC teeth at Arkansas State or somewhere similar.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

What are the “tampering rules” as far as a coach telling his team he’s leaving then winking at all the 5 star players who he might want to portal with him?

Lincoln: <calls up Caleb Williams former HS coach> Hi coach how’s it going, as you may have heard i am now at USC.  Are there any good players I should look at?  Uhhuh, cool cool, yea punter, ok got it.  Hey by the way here’s my new office number, give me a ring if any of your FORMER players might be interesting in transferring.  I’m looking to sign a transfer quarterback.  Do you have any recent five star qbs that might be interested in coming to USC?  Yea sure you call around and ask, I’ll be waiting. “

at least that’s how I imagine it goes down.