Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

3 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Kingsbury never really had all that much success as a head coach though. A couple of good seasons, but nothing that really made you think 'on the verge' or anything like that. How he got past that interview, no one will ever know. Riley however has actually consistently had double digit wins and grabbed some titles, as well as won a few genuinely big regular season games. I agree he flames out of the NFL eventually after the team(s) get tired of never winning any playoff games. But I can see him regularly bringing those teams to the playoffs and bouncing around a few jobs here and there before the league finally gets tired of his schtick and he ends up spending the rest of his career as an offensive coordinator.

This is correct.  Tech fan wanted him gone.   

15 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Kingsbury never really had all that much success as a head coach though. A couple of good seasons, but nothing that really made you think 'on the verge' or anything like that. How he got past that interview, no one will ever know. Riley however has actually consistently had double digit wins and grabbed some titles, as well as won a few genuinely big regular season games. I agree he flames out of the NFL eventually after the team(s) get tired of never winning any playoff games. But I can see him regularly bringing those teams to the playoffs and bouncing around a few jobs here and there before the league finally gets tired of his schtick and he ends up spending the rest of his career as an offensive coordinator.

He has had those double digit wins in two flag football conferences. Let's see how he does in a real conference next year where physicality is a pre-requisite for success. 

Edited by z009

7 minutes ago, z009 said:

He has had those double digit wins in two flag football conferences. Let's see how he does in a real conference next year where physicality is a pre-requisite for success. 

He thought he was running away from the physicality.  If the pac stayed intact he could have hidden out a bit longer...or that was the plan, anyway.  He's getting exposed well before anyone could have guessed.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I think he was setting up for a shot with the Chargers. There are still poorly managed NFL teams that might take him. It’s funny because he left OU in a smarmy way to avoid SEC. Thought he could easily hang in after dark Pac 12. Decimate. Pac 12 gets blown up and he can’t even hang with the remnants of it. He will get his clock cleaned in the Big 10. If he wants to go pro he’d better do it now. Because his stock is falling. And will fall more with USCs remaining schedule. He’s a great OC/QB coach for the most part but as a HC in the NFL he’ll flame out. I think. 

I don’t think the USC move was about the SEC. At least not at the core. I think it was about having to put in the least amount of effort to be a a successful coach. He is a coordinator at heart and does not want to do the full job of a HC. Certainly not at the all consuming level it takes to win build a national championship level program in college.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t think the USC move was about the SEC. At least not at the core. I think it was about having to put in the least amount of effort to be a a successful coach. He is a coordinator at heart and does not want to do the full job of a HC. Certainly not at the all consuming level it takes to win build a national championship level program in college.

I was under the impression that it was because he was banging some strange and his wife told him if he wanted a second chance they had to move.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I was under the impression that it was because he was banging some strange and his wife told him if he wanted a second chance they had to move.

Everyone knows the best place to take a husband with a wandering eye is to southern cal.  Get away from all the temptations.

As I type that I realize I have a friend who has that exact same thing happen to him.  Had an affair in Texas wife demanded a move to LA.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Caleb is no doubt talented. High QB IQ and all that. I also think he’s a headcase. Both things can be true. Not sure how he’ll translate to the NFL if he can’t handle a defense with a pulse. You get that almost every week in the NFL. His sideline stuff reminds me of OBJ. Not a good look. Jmo.

Why do you think this? 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Why do you think this? 

Watching his behavior on the sideline and such. It’s my opinion. He doesn’t handle pressure well that I have seen (my opinion) and he doesn’t deal well with good defenses. It’s a gut feeling based on personal observation. It’s what I have seen and what I’ve read. I can be 100% wrong. But I don’t think he will thrive in the NFL. Jmo. Not slamming the dude. I watched him in the bowl game (yes a throw away game) v Tulane and saw the same things. 

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Watching his behavior on the sideline and such. It’s my opinion. He doesn’t handle pressure well that I have seen (my opinion) and he doesn’t deal well with good defenses. It’s a gut feeling based on personal observation. It’s what I have seen and what I’ve read. I can be 100% wrong. But I don’t think he will thrive in the NFL. Jmo. Not slamming the dude. I watched him in the bowl game (yes a throw away game) v Tulane and saw the same things. 

Just curious. No judgement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

According to most scouts, Caleb is the closest you’ll see to a Mahomes type player (smaller in size.) very unique skill set. I hope he goes to a team with a good coach that can help to develop him.
i am likely wrong about him in the sense he won’t flame out in the NFL. He’ll probably go on to have a kickass career and I’m happy to eat my words.
Something about him gives me pause. A gut feeling that he might flame out.  I’ve just noticed stuff when he’s struggling or against a better defense and the body language etc he exhibits and all that. I get he’s competitive and is elevating the shit out of his team at USC for sure. 
It would be awesome if he went to a team with a good HC. That’s a huge part of the battle when you are an elite prospect at QB. 

Lincoln Riley has one of the best offensive minds we’ll ever see. He has a lot more chances to make it than most coaches. I get the Sooner angst; his move to LA pulled the curtain back on the pretend show that Oklahoma is anything other than a shithole state. I don’t get it from the others. 

5 minutes ago, statsman said:

Lincoln Riley has one of the best offensive minds we’ll ever see. He has a lot more chances to make it than most coaches. I get the Sooner angst; his move to LA pulled the curtain back on the pretend show that Oklahoma is anything other than a shithole state. I don’t get it from the others. 

Lincoln Riley 

Agree. He’s one of the best offensive minds. I think he may have been artificially inflated in the Big 12 thanks to OU beating up on a bunch of garbage teams (I’m including Texas in that statement).

OU

I literally don’t understand how this shit school and shithole state hasn’t gone the way of Nebraska yet. Maybe it’s closer to fruition now with the portal. They don’t have the resources. Even Oklahomans don’t want to live in Oklahoma. Their only draw is their history of winning. Don’t get me wrong, that’s big. But like Alabama, it’s not going to be enough anymore. 

6 hours ago, z009 said:

No NFL team is taking a chance on a college coach in the immediate future after Kingsbury crashed and burned. 

Shit, he hung in longer than Matt Rhule and Urban F'n Meyer. Off the top of my head, I can only think of JJ and Carroll as coaches who had success in both leagues. Its practically a different sport. 

28 minutes ago, statsman said:

A shithole state that has one thing.  A really good football program that won’t die.  Like a damn cockroach.  You guys thought LR finally killed it.  I laughed.  Let’s see how it works out.  Looks good so far.  Kliff is a great offensive mind too. 😂

edit: also the states are way more similar than you want to admit.  I was born in Lubbock.  Both states are meh.  I’d rather be in Tulsa or OKC vs 95% of Texas.  It’s rural vs urban in most ways.  But keep holding on to ‘one state is a total shithole and the other is awesome’.  Lulz

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Lincoln Riley 

Agree. He’s one of the best offensive minds. I think he may have been artificially inflated in the Big 12 thanks to OU beating up on a bunch of garbage teams (I’m including Texas in that statement).

OU

I literally don’t understand how this shit school and shithole state hasn’t gone the way of Nebraska yet. Maybe it’s closer to fruition now with the portal. They don’t have the resources. Even Oklahomans don’t want to live in Oklahoma. Their only draw is their history of winning. Don’t get me wrong, that’s big. But like Alabama, it’s not going to be enough anymore. 

This is a bad take. Oklahoma is fine as a state and OKC is on the rise, turning into a mini Austin. And the football players are demi-gods in Norman. The only thing that will hold OU back is if they dont have deep enough pockets.  

20 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Lincoln Riley 

OU

What does that say about us then, considering that they just beat us? We have always had more resources than OU, but have only beat them 8 times in the last 25 meetings. They have done more with less for a long time.

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

A shithole state that has one thing.  A really good football program that won’t die.  Like a damn cockroach.  You guys thought LR finally killed it.  I laughed.  Let’s see how it works out.  Looks good so far.  Kliff is a great offensive mind too. 😂

edit: also the states are way more similar than you want to admit.  I was born in Lubbock.  Both states are meh.  I’d rather be in Tulsa or OKC vs 95% of Texas.  It’s rural vs urban in most ways.  But keep holding on to ‘one state is a total shithole and the other is awesome’.  Lulz

I live in Arlington. Have for 35 years. I am 90 miles from the Oklahoma border. I have been to Oklahoma once, a Big Brothers/Big Sisters camping trip at Turner Falls. 

I cannot think of a reason why I would go to Oklahoma. I have gone to New Mexico, to ski. I might visit Arkansas. I could see doing that. Can you help? Why might I want to go to Oklahoma?

If you gave me a choice of taking a weekend in Alpine or OKC, I’d make a reservation at Reata and look into those Margarita lights. 

I don’t think it’s just me. 100 years ago, Oklahoma had eight representatives. Now it has four?

In the 1940s, Oklahoma decided they wanted their flagship university to have a kick ass football team. Texas decided they wanted their flagship to be a kick ass academic institution. 

Both succeeded in their goal. Which was smarter?

7 minutes ago, statsman said:

I live in Arlington. Have for 35 years. I am 90 miles from the Oklahoma border. I have been to Oklahoma once, a Big Brothers/Big Sisters camping trip at Turner Falls. 

I cannot think of a reason why I would go to Oklahoma. I have gone to New Mexico, to ski. I might visit Arkansas. I could see doing that. Can you help? Why might I want to go to Oklahoma?

If you gave me a choice of taking a weekend in Alpine or OKC, I’d make a reservation at Reata and look into those Margarita lights. 

I don’t think it’s just me. 100 years ago, Oklahoma had eight representatives. Now it has four?

In the 1940s, Oklahoma decided they wanted their flagship university to have a kick ass football team. Texas decided they wanted their flagship to be a kick ass academic institution. 

Quit being obtuse.  If it was OKC or Midland - Midland represents a lot of what most of Texas is like - you’d choose OKC, if you were honest.  Hell, drive around Arlington (awesome burb bro) and Edmond and it’s no different.  And I was in both places and GTFO. They suck.  Have places all over and you couldn’t pay me to be in either state.  Why are you in Arlington?  Can you answer me that?  Come to Miami.  I still spend some time in Chiraq - beats Texas.  A place in San Diego.  Can host you anywhere.  Why shithole Arlington?  God damn that’s depressing.  Is it still 100 there?  

edit: a flex about living in Arlington.  Lol.  I’ve seen it all now.  35 years!!!! 🤣

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

OKC is a legitimate dump but Arlington is basically indistinguishable aside from Jerryworld.

Tulsa is a nice town. Eastern Oklahoma is quite pretty. OU sucks.

Also let’s not be stupid about why OU isn’t Nebraska. They are a blue blood football program with one of the single biggest talent hotbeds in the country in their backyard and an administration committed to doing whatever it takes to support a winning football program.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

OKC is a legitimate dump but Arlington is basically indistinguishable aside from Jerryworld.

Also let’s not be stupid about why OU isn’t Nebraska. They are a blue blood football program with one of the single biggest talent hotbeds in the country in their backyard and an administration committed to doing whatever it takes to support a winning football program.

LOL.  OKC is a shithole that’s basically the same as Arlington, BUT Jerryworld makes Arlington recognizable as different in some way.  Not really a bonus, but at least you can figure out which dump is which.  

Not laughing at you, with you.  Nails it.  

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Swirls and queso at "The Mont" by stadium in Norman kick ass

This guy gets it. Nothing better than a swirl before a home game. My wife and I park right by there for every home game and have one on the way in. You can get pretty fucked up on them. Never tried the queso, too much of a boozer. I’ll be in Norman tomorrow, might try it at lunch. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

This guy gets it. Nothing better than a swirl before a home game. My wife and I park right by there for every home game and have one on the way in. You can get pretty fucked up on them. Never tried the queso, too much of a boozer. I’ll be in Norman tomorrow, might try it at lunch. 

Went on a road trip for chicken to Eischen's

banner-eischens-okarche.webp

So much fun and history...

Screenshot_20231015-212033_kindlephoto-52676858.thumb.png.bdbd4b4e45b744b1dbf724ed2abb089f.png

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

Story goes they put Everclear in the sangria part of the swirl, so a couple of those are a problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah I’ve seen several very well respected scouts say he’s the best prospect ever at QB. I just think he’s bored at times and pressing at other times, playing with such a shitty defense, he has to bail out.  Barring injuries imo he should be a very good pro, if not an all pro.  

I think he could light lincoln riley on fire at midfield and kick his defensive coordinator in the nuts, then fuck a cheerleader on the sidelines on the way to an Antonio Brown style sendoff and still be the number one pick. He is a special player. I think he just knows he cant put this team on his back and win anything this season. He has clearly lost confidence in the defense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

This is Riley's 7th year as a head coach, and his defenses have been consistently awful in all seven years. I don't see that magically changing. He is a Leach disciple that believes flag football is the way to go.

Flag football is under consideration as an Olympic sport. Riley could be our national Olympic coach.
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

If Norman wasn’t just a couple of hours from DFW, it probably would be Nebraska football wise. As long as it’s nearly as local to DFW as Austin is, they’ll get recruits that don’t want to go far from home.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

California is still a community property state (i.e., wife owns 50% of the marital property / earnings), and CA also allows way more generous alimony than Texas in a divorce (I would assume Oklahoma is more like Texas in placing limits on spousal support payments).  

The women know what they’re doing.  Respect.

Having just gone through this a few years ago, Oklahoma is a "No Fault" divorce state, meaning martial assets are supposed to be* divided 50/50 no matter the reason for the divorce.

* This, of course, is pending lawyer shit in drafting up the decree, but the idea is that it's 50/50 no matter what

I'm not certain the alimony situation, as my ex- and I both have good jobs and she didn't ask for any so it was a non-issue for us.

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

If Norman wasn’t just a couple of hours from DFW, it probably would be Nebraska football wise. As long as it’s nearly as local to DFW as Austin is, they’ll get recruits that don’t want to go far from home.

Yeah I mean Norman is closer to DFW than most of Texas (geography wise), and they have long recruited the entire state. Plus, for being a small-ish state, Oklahoma punches above its weight on per-capita blue chip football recruits.... not on the level of like a Louisiana, but Oklahoma does produce a good amount of P5 players every year, considering our size.  And Oklahoma is going to get almost every blue chip the state produces in any given year unless the family has ties to OSU or something and we can manage to nab them.

13 hours ago, gmr548 said:

14 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

14 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Quit being obtuse.  If it was OKC or Midland - Midland represents a lot of what most of Texas is like - you’d choose OKC, if you were honest.  Hell, drive around Arlington (awesome burb bro) and Edmond and it’s no different.  And I was in both places and GTFO. They suck.  Have places all over and you couldn’t pay me to be in either state.  Why are you in Arlington?  Can you answer me that?  Come to Miami.  I still spend some time in Chiraq - beats Texas.  A place in San Diego.  Can host you anywhere.  Why shithole Arlington?  God damn that’s depressing.  Is it still 100 there?  

edit: a flex about living in Arlington.  Lol.  I’ve seen it all now.  35 years!!!! 🤣

All of this.

I grew up in OK and have lived extensively across the Texas cities at various points and I can safely say that all of these posts are right.  90% of both states are complete rural shitholes.  If you took the state borders away, you would be able to tell the difference between the two.  The burbs are essentially the same except the Texas burbs are more expensive.  (Mostly.)  

The cities are like any other city.  There are good parts and bad parts.  Yes, large swaths of OKC and Tulsa are shitholes but they have some good neighborhoods.  Same with the Texas cities.  

If you were to make me pick between OKC and Dallas, I actually might pick OKC for various reasons but if you asked me that 10-15 years ago, I'd say "Dallas" before you even finished the question.  They've done more than any city in America to improve themselves over the past few decades.  Sure, both Dallas and OKC have their upsides and downsides but the difference between the two isn't like it used to be.

But OKC vs Arlington?  M'kay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I mean Norman is closer to DFW than most of Texas (geography wise), and they have long recruited the entire state. Plus, for being a small-ish state, Oklahoma punches above its weight on per-capita blue chip football recruits.... not on the level of like a Louisiana, but Oklahoma does produce a good amount of P5 players every year, considering our size.  And Oklahoma is going to get almost every blue chip the state produces in any given year unless the family has ties to OSU or something and we can manage to nab them.

Yeah, the smartest thing Switzer ever did was make OU a defacto Texas program.  He always found reasons to play games in the state and recruited Houston really well along with DFW.  He even wanted OU to join the SWC at one point.  Now, DFW is at least twice the size as it was just 20 years ago.  Also, OU as a school has always had a large number of Texas students.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Lincoln Riley 

OU

I'm sure you've seen a couple of the threads on this site where UT parents are encouraging their kids to leave the state.

20 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, the smartest thing Switzer ever did was make OU a defacto Texas program.  He always found reasons to play games in the state and recruited Houston really well along with DFW.  He even wanted OU to join the SWC at one point.  Now, DFW is at least twice the size as it was just 20 years ago.  Also, OU as a school has always had a large number of Texas students.

Nah, Barry didn’t start that. Bud Wilkinson 47 game win streak is directly tied to half the squad being from Texas. Barry just kept up the recruiting strategy Bud had already established. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

100 years ago, Oklahoma had a population of two million and Texas had a population of four million. Now, Oklahoma has four million and Texas has a population of 29 million. The fact is, Texas has grown, and is growing, in a way Oklahoma isn’t. 

Yes, OU’s strategy for a long time has been to recruit Texas, to claim it as their recruiting territory. That, and a willingness to pay more, has been effective. 

Now, they’re joining the SEC. They have to outbid Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, LSU, and … Texas. This will be harder than outbidding Tech or OSU. 

Back to Riley- this guy has a career record of 72-14, is currently 6-1, and people are bagging on him? Only a moron would prefer Brent Venables as coach to Lincoln Riley (and I get that OU will probably start out 12-0 this year)

49 minutes ago, statsman said:

100 years ago, Oklahoma had a population of two million and Texas had a population of four million. Now, Oklahoma has four million and Texas has a population of 29 million. The fact is, Texas has grown, and is growing, in a way Oklahoma isn’t. 

Yes, OU’s strategy for a long time has been to recruit Texas, to claim it as their recruiting territory. That, and a willingness to pay more, has been effective. 

Now, they’re joining the SEC. They have to outbid Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, LSU, and … Texas. This will be harder than outbidding Tech or OSU. 

Back to Riley- this guy has a career record of 72-14, is currently 6-1, and people are bagging on him? Only a moron would prefer Brent Venables as coach to Lincoln Riley (and I get that OU will probably start out 12-0 this year)

Had no idea LR posted here.  But Arlington beats Muleshoe.  Here we are.  
Look at this statsman.  He’s gotten worse EVERY year.  Moron. 
Trend continues this year.  Goes from losing a NY 6 to not even making one.  Worse EVERY SINGLE YEAR.  😂

06269622-238F-4A59-9BFC-8C5F78805EE3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

What's lost in all of this the OU program was in a solid place when he took over and to Chi's point, they got worse every year.  They didn't fall off a cliff but people who watched the games could tell.  By his last season, they were exactly what USC is now.  They had CW who bailed them out of games against bad teams but otherwise, the roster wasn't very good and the S&C was significantly below average.

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

What's lost in all of this the OU program was in a solid place when he took over and to Chi's point, they got worse every year.  They didn't fall off a cliff but people who watched the games could tell.  By his last season, they were exactly what USC is now.  They had CW who bailed them out of games against bad teams but otherwise, the roster wasn't very good and the S&C was significantly below average.

Riley is a good offensive mind, and I think it took a couple of years for coaches to figure out how best to play against him.  But what he had was some transcendent college quarterbacks/athletes in Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts and Caleb Williams.  Two Heisman winners and a Heisman runner up.  Who's athleticism and creative play making ability outside the normal scripted offense was key to their and Oklahoma's offensive success under Riley.

I imagine Riley is looking for an NFL or new job right now for when Caleb leaves.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

DFW is definitely blOU's best recruiting territory