2022 Off-Season Thread: No Kool-Aid, Just Flavor-Aid

BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Eric Nahlin (Inside Texas) on video giving update that money, lawyers may push back to SEC till 2024.  Supposedly blOU can't afford to move earlier...

I have a feeling the original plan was for us and OU to finish out the contract (announce the year prior). That way we would avoid exit fees. 

I can see the timeline getting moved up a year now that aggy tried its damnedest to torpedo the deal. It would probably happen sooner if it wasn't for broke ass sooner... But then again, Texas isn't big on throwing away money outside of bad coaching hires.

38 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

I have a feeling the original plan was for us and OU to finish out the contract (announce the year prior). That way we would avoid exit fees. 

I can see the timeline getting moved up a year now that aggy tried its damnedest to torpedo the deal. It would probably happen sooner if it wasn't for broke ass sooner... But then again, Texas isn't big on throwing away money outside of bad coaching hires.

God knows we haven't been spending it on linebackers and tight ends . . .

• Haha 1

This currently on TexasSports.com

Del Conte:  "While I've got you, Football is always a hot topic. Coach Sark closed out a talented top-five recruiting class last week and the team is hard at work in preparation for the spring season that begins in late March. Be sure to get those season ticket renewals in, and we'll see you all at the Spring Game on April 23. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m., but we'll have a full day of festivities, so stay tuned to all of our platforms as those details will be rolling in soon. 

6, my bad.  Didn’t adjust for ST to DT and neither did my shitty new calendar aggregator app 

plus Baylor at Texas baseball at 1:00p. And the Lion King at bass.  Parking should be a fucking  delight. 

19 minutes ago, Delta Charlie said:

April 23 is going to be a big day.  The Spring game is that day at 6 pm.   Right across the street that night will be a Bon Jovi concert at the Moody Center.  

Texas Longhorns Baseball also has a game against baylor April 23rd in Austin, so guessing it will start at Noon or 1pm CT

CDC will have a lot of festivities going on around DKR during that day too...

FI1iC95XEAo0weE?format=jpg&name=large

Texas Football Orange-White Game presented by Living Spaces -- April 23

Spring Game admission is FREE as part of the annual ‘Made in Austin Weekend’

Texas Athletics is proud to announce the annual 'Made in Austin Weekend' will be held April 22-24 on The University of Texas campus. Events feature a variety of fan experiences that celebrates what makes Austin so unique: live music, specialty food and beverage offerings, live art installations, and -- most importantly -- the Texas Longhorns!

Events are centered around the annual Texas Football Orange-White Game, presented by Living Spaces, on Saturday, April 23 at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium at Campbell-Williams Field. The spring game will be the first glimpse for fans to see the Longhorns in action before the 2022 season opener against ULM on Saturday, Sept. 3. 

All activities surrounding the Orange-White Game are FREE admission. 

Defending Big 12 Champion and preseason No. 1 Texas Baseball will also host a critical Big 12 series against Baylor that weekend at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

Visit TexasSports.com and follow @TexasLonghorns on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for exciting updates as additional 'Made in Austin Weekend' details are revealed including Bevo Blvd presented by H-E-B, Longhorn City Limits, Smokey's Midway, and Hook 'Em Hangout

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Nahlin said the other day that Kitan Crawford is also at safety now.

Thinking a little more on this.

CB  Watts

CB  Jamison

N  Barron

S   Cook

S   Crawford

Something like that. I'm sure we'll see a bunch of Brooks and Allen by the end of the year. 

From FCB

— Take this for what it’s worth, but a team source said while quarterback Quinn Ewers has been whistling passes to receivers in throwing sessions, he hasn’t been moving real well in offseason conditioning after telling team trainers about feeling pain in his hip. Could be something, could be nothing. We’ll see.

14 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

From FCB

— Take this for what it’s worth, but a team source said while quarterback Quinn Ewers has been whistling passes to receivers in throwing sessions, he hasn’t been moving real well in offseason conditioning after telling team trainers about feeling pain in his hip. Could be something, could be nothing. We’ll see.

……plz say sike

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

From FCB

Sad Arrested Development GIF

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

59 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

From FCB

I was promised no Kool-aid, just Flavor Aid and Surly delivered. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/8/2022 at 10:31 AM, LTtxfan said:

Eric Nahlin (Inside Texas) on video giving update that money, lawyers may push back to SEC till 2024.  Supposedly blOU can't afford to move earlier...

So only 3 lame duck years in the big 12 yay

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

From FCB

That much reverse cowgirl has to be murder on the joints. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

From FCB

“Could be something, could be nothing “ gives away the game. Pure made up bullshit to drive clicks. Vague reference to possible injury+ disclaimer that it could be nothing. I remain shocked people pay to be jerked around by these sites

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

From FCB

image.gif.7e4fcf3d572993e775617eae4a521dfa.gif

• Haha 2

From FCB

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

If true, that's a huge disappointment IMO because IT was so high on Kitan Crawford as a CB prospect during the 2020 recruiting cycle.

Unfortunately, it be more an indictment of the lack of speed at safety than his skills at CB.

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

If true, that's a huge disappointment IMO because IT was so high on Kitan Crawford as a CB prospect during the 2020 recruiting cycle.

Y'all understand here that the folks behind these $9.95 websites know almost as much, maybe even as much, as my dumb ass?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Red Five said:

Nahlin said the other day that Kitan Crawford is also at safety now.

2 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Y'all understand here that the folks behind these $9.95 websites know almost as much, maybe even as much, as my dumb ass?

It wasn't just IT that was high on Kitan Crawford. I'm pretty sure 247 was high on him too.

2 hours ago, pacman said:

Unfortunately, it be more an indictment of the lack of speed at safety than his skills at CB.

At this point, I don't understand why folks are fretting over the safety & nickel positions. UT is gonna have so many bodies to throw at those positions when fall camp comes around in August. I'm more worried about does UT have enough outside cover CBs on the roster. At least 2 other young CBs on the roster are considered guys who could move to nickel or safety long term. I think the UT coaches notice this too because both Nahlin & Burton of IT have each individually reported this week that sources tell them that recruiting speed on defense is a big priority for the coaching staff in the 2023 recruiting cycle.

4 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

both Nahlin & Burton of IT have each individually reported this week that sources tell them that recruiting speed on defense is a big priority for the coaching staff in the 2023 recruiting cycle.

As opposed to the goal of every previous recruiting cycle to recruit slow plodders on defense? 

You really need a couple of snake oil assholes to sell you the information that the coaches want fast guys on defense? 

Neyor kool-aid for my dark mode family.

For those who sound surprised, remember, Neyor had as many touchdown catches for Wyoming last season as Xavier Worthy had for Texas (12).

And Neyor did it in a run-heavy offense that ranked No. 117 nationally (of 130) in passing offense.

Wyoming’s emphasis on the run is a big part of why Neyor (pronounced Nay-OR) entered the transfer portal after catching 44 passes for 878 yards and 12 TDs.

“He told me, ‘Coach, I think I can do more,’” said Laban DeLay, who coached Neyor at Arlington Lamar and is now the head coach at South Grand Prairie.

“Because of the offense he was in (at Wyoming), he only got two or three targets per game.”

Thanks to Chris Gilbert, UT’s director of high school relations, the Longhorns, who were late to the recruitment of Neyor, got involved just in time, because Neyor was this close to shutting down his recruitment and signing with Tennessee.

“Chris (Gilbert) called me about Isaiah,” DeLay said. “I told him, ‘I’ve been expecting your call, but you might be too late.’

“But Sark (Steve Sarkisian) called Isaiah right after that, and then Sark and Jeff Banks went in-home with Isaiah, and two days later, he was in Austin enrolling.

“I think Sark did a good job of selling Isaiah on how well he’d fit into his offensive system and stressed the opportunity to contribute right away. I think those things got through to Isaiah.”

So far, the feedback from team sources on Neyor has been almost as universal as it was for Worthy once Worthy got on campus last June.

“This dude (Neyor) is cold as (expletive),” one team source said. “Fifty-fifty balls are his.”

Another source said Neyor has blown people away with his route running during throwing sessions and has “the same competitive fire that Worthy has and makes for a big target with his length.

“This guy’s got a long stride and covers a lot of ground,” the source said. “And then he goes up and snatches the ball. He’s got oven mitts for hands — huge.”

So, what’s Neyor’s story and how did he end up with only one Division I offer (Wyoming) coming out of Arlington Lamar?

Neyor was a basketball player who had never played football when he transferred to Arlington Lamar as a sophomore after moving to Texas from Minnesota.

It was in a computer animation course taught by then Arlington Lamar receivers and junior varsity coach Daniel Wilkinson that Wilkinson noticed “a slender kid with what looked like size 15 shoes,” DeLay said.

“We always tell our coaches, ‘Recruit our own hallways,’” DeLay said. “And that’s where we found Isaiah. We talked to him about joining our off-season strength and conditioning program in the spring of his sophomore year, and he didn’t sound too sure about it. We asked him to give it a try, and I told all of our players and coaches to take Isaiah in and encourage him. And he stayed with it. The rest is kind of history.”

10822829.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Isaiah Neyor (Photo: Icon Sportswire, Getty)

Neyor played on the JV team as a junior, because of his late transfer to Arlington Lamar (in the spring of his sophomore year) and because he’d never played football before.

“He tore our varsity up on scout team,” DeLay said. “Any time the JV got in trouble, we just threw it up to him. He went up and tore the ball out of the sky and made a play.”

DeLay said one of his strongest memories of Neyor at Arlington Lamar was in the 7-on-7 Championship Bracket in College Station the summer before his senior season.

“It can get really hot in College Station during that 7-on-7 tournament,” DeLay said. “And I just remember Isaiah making one acrobatic catch after another. Some guys were getting worn down in that heat, but Isaiah wasn’t. We were down by six against Arlington High and had one play left. Literally, the ball was snapped as time ran out, but Isaiah caught a 35-yard touchdown pass, and we advanced. He wanted the ball in the big moment.”

In Neyor’s senior season, he caught 35 passes for 813 yards and eight touchdowns, averaging 23.2 yards per catch. He was one of three receivers on the Arlington Lamar team who ended up getting attention from college recruiters, including 2020 Oklahoma signee Trevon West and 2021 Stephen F. Austin signee Cameron Brady.

In addition to his massive hands, seemingly tireless endurance and big-play capability, Neyor showed a passion for blocking. DeLay said he had a chart for pancake blocks by his offensive linemen at Arlington Lamar but started one for the receivers, too, because of the blocks being delivered by Neyor and West.

“Isaiah’s a great teammate, because he’s a really humble kid with a strong work ethic,” DeLay said. “He’s not going to be the one beating on his chest, saying, ‘Give me the ball more.’ He just wants to do whatever it takes to help his team win.”

Because Neyor was such a late bloomer in terms of his initial college recruiting process, the offers weren’t there.

“By the time Isaiah started breaking out in his senior year, we were pushing hard to get the word out there,” DeLay said.

“But Wyoming was really the only one who said they had a scholarship available for him. We were really thankful for that, and because Isaiah had spent time growing up in Minnesota, he didn’t mind going to Wyoming, where he knew he’d be playing in the cold. Some guys from Texas don’t like doing that. Isaiah didn’t mind.”

Neyor redshirted as a freshman at Wyoming in 2019 and then started showing he could play at the college level in 2020 by averaging 31.0 yards per catch (eight catches for 248 yards). In 2021, Neyor was named second-team All-Mountain West with his 12-touchdown season.

Side note: Former Longhorns’ player and defensive line coach Oscar Giles was announced last week as Wyoming’s new defensive tackles coach by head coach Craig Bohl.

Neyor’s recruiting process the second time around was completely different. He took a visit to USC and Tennessee and loved both. He committed to Tennessee, because coach Josh Heupel and the Volunteers were on him quickly and appeared to have immediate playing time available.

Neyor was just about to shut down his recruitment when Chris Gilbert called DeLay, and Sarkisian then made contact with Neyor.

“Texas got involved maybe a week after interest in Isaiah started blowing up,” DeLay said. “Oklahoma was three to four days after Texas. Notre Dame called after that, and by then, Isaiah had already narrowed his list and wanted to be done with the recruiting process. It came down to the offensive system and his ability to contribute right away, and I think that’s why he ended up picking Texas.”

DeLay still laughs when he thinks about how Neyor ended up playing football.

“Football wasn’t a thing of his until Coach Wilkinson pulled him out of that computer animation class in the spring of his sophomore year,” DeLay said. “I remember him being sore as hell after that first day in our offseason program. But I told the coaches and our kids, ‘You make sure he comes back tomorrow.’”

Sarkisian has said Neyor’s recruitment out of high school was impacted by COVID-19.

But it wasn’t impacted by the global pandemic as much as it was by his late move to Arlington Lamar and by his never having played football before — and by playing only one year on the varsity (as a senior).

“We kept telling recruiters, ‘We don’t know his ceiling,’” DeLay said. “I know he’s really grateful to Wyoming for giving him an opportunity. He made this move, because he has a deep desire to be more involved in the offense, expand his ceiling and play in the NFL.”

Edited by cdain3
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, C-Man said:

From FCB

So now we know that FCB's source is on the training staff.  

11 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I just wanted to post a humorous meme. (Also, the majority of the last 12 years of Texas Football has conditioned me to expect the worst.)

this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things-you

• Hook 'Em 1