Just because it showed up on my Youtube - Barry Sanders' top 50 runs

52-80

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Commence the “if you put Barry Sanders on the 1990’s Cowboys” argument.

Hell, “if you put Barry Sanders on the 1990’s Houston Oilers”

But that’s how you can tell how special he really was: that he had a HOF career on a team that was arguably the least conducive to achieving that reality.

Edited by hpslugga

He put people in the blender every game.  Seems like half of those highlights were vs. Tampa Bay...he terrorized them.  I've never seen another back with that combo of being able to maintain close to top speed while cutting, just the elite-of-the-elite.  He also had enough power to break tackles and the balance, the vision...just the whole package.  Wonder where he would have ended his career if he didn't hang it up early.

47 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

i knew he had that 2500+ yd year at OSU.  didnt know it came along with 42 TDs (same single-season).  thought someone typo'd on wikipedia.

So those numbers include the bowl game?  Back then bowls didnt count in official stats but they do now, and it’s wiki so they can count how they wish. 

imagine if he had 12 games plus a ccg plus a bowl or two playoff games. 

41 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

i knew he had that 2500+ yd year at OSU.  didnt know it came along with 42 TDs (same single-season).  thought someone typo'd on wikipedia.

He damn near had 3,000 rushing yards, that season was the most insane I have seen. It's when a player makes it look so easy, that's when it's amazing.  Guy would have over 200 yards and 4 tds at the half. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So those numbers include the bowl game?  Back then bowls didnt count in official stats but they do now, and it’s wiki so they can count how they wish. 

imagine if he had 12 games plus a ccg plus a bowl or two playoff games. 

44 total touchdowns with the bowl game (includes 2 receiving).

without bowl game its 37 rushing + 2 receiving for 39 total.

fucking insane.

I was as die hard as they come when it came to the Dallas Cowboys and I argued constantly about Emmitt being better.  Thankfully, I grew up, matured, and came to realize it's really not close.  Barry is GOAT.  

Now, was Emmitt a better fit for that Dallas team, hitting holes and playing through the dislocated shoulder, etc?  I'd argue Emmitt was a better fit for those Dallas teams then Barry would have been.  

Also, a great story Barry Switzer would tell after a few too many drinks...Sanders' hs coaches made a highlight tape to get the word out on him, it made it to Stillwater and was supposed to hit Norman next...Pat Jones never let that happen.  Maybe the story is bullshit but Barry just laughed because he said he'd have done the same damn thing.  

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

As someone who’s not really an NFL fan and was too young to remember 90s football, I don’t really know who the better RB was. I do know that Sanders’ highlights are without a doubt more fun to watch.

Running for your life every other play due to a terrible O-Line will help with the highlights.

Fortunately for us, and Barry, he had the abilities to make something out of nothing.

Best is subjective, but Sanders has been the best rb I ever watched, and it's not really close. I mean as great as Ricky's season in 98 was, Sanders last year in college was something else. The rb tandem of Thurmon Thomas and Sanders in 87 was sick.

Screenshot_20211225-161818_Chrome.jpg.9d7820514c3755fc96469db9a7a545b9.jpg

Fucking Detroit sucked so bad, they robbed us of getting to watch a full career from Sanders. 

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Barry is the GOAT, but there are a lot of people that forget how truly special a player Emmitt was as well.  Excellent runner, really good receiver and devastating pass blocker.   Wasn’t just his line, dude had excellent quickness, balance, and vision.  

Early 90s Emmitt was something to behold. This made me watch Emmitt highlights, and his balance, vision, cutting and speed were special. His ability to avoid direct shots was uncanny. 

Sanders is the best runner I’ve ever seen. Emmitt was a generational great, and he gets whitewashed when discussing Sanders because they played at the same time. They were both great. I’m glad we had Emmitt and I appreciate Barry as probably the best runner I’ve seen, including Earl. Never really saw Jim Brown. 

Just throwing this out there.

One day up at the Big East Tournament after lunch there was a group of about six of us, including Dave Wannstedt, and the conversation turned to football, as it usually does. I asked Coach who was the hardest guy to draw up a defensive gameplay. He said it came down to two guys, Sanders and Favre. He also said that even though Sanders was an all-time great you always kind of knew from where he would start the play. But in Favre's case when he started improvising it made him harder to defend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Just throwing this out there.

One day up at the Big East Tournament after lunch there was a group of about six of us, including Dave Wannstedt, and the conversation turned to football, as it usually does. I asked Coach who was the hardest guy to draw up a defensive gameplay. He said it came down to two guys, Sanders and Favre. He also said that even though Sanders was an all-time great you always kind of knew from where he would start the play. But in Favre's case when he started improvising it made him harder to defend.

Further proof wandstedt is an idiot. That explanation makes no sense whatsoever.  

• Haha 1

Emmitt is to the NFL as to what Ron Dayne is to college. The right situation at the right time.

Basically the argument against Barry was that he wouldn’t hit the hole.

You don’t have the season at Oklahoma State that he did or the career at Detroit that he did unless you are 100% awesome. No one can top those accomplishments for such crappy programs.

Sanders quit because his team didn't win.
Emmitt didn't allow his team to lose.
Emmitt is better.

Note: I once played pickup basketball with Emmitt PLUS my oldest son is partially named for him.  (I had two great-grandfathers also named Emmitt.)  I'm biased.

Sanders didn’t really have support from the top down. He wanted to play for a quality team and Detroit isn’t that. Dallas isn’t now, but Jerruh ain’t afraid to spend to try and win.

35 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Emmitt is to the NFL as to what Ron Dayne is to college. The right situation at the right time.

Basically the argument against Barry was that he wouldn’t hit the hole.

You don’t have the season at Oklahoma State that he did or the career at Detroit that he did unless you are 100% awesome. No one can top those accomplishments for such crappy programs.

The Lions had several seasons in a row with 2 1000 yard receivers and had one with 3 1000 yard receivers, plus Barry.   And people always shit on their line but forget that Lomas Brown was one of the best to velvet play the game.  

8 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

Sweetness, Sayers, Brown, Campbell prove otherwise.

As Good as Sweetness, Sayers and Brown were, Barry was better.  He just flat was better.  Sweetness was incredible, Gale couldn’t stay healthy, and Jim Brown was heavier than the average starting defensive lineman at the time.  

Earl was also incredible but was run into the ground.  His impact was great, but that’s not even a conversation.  

The Lions had several seasons in a row with 2 1000 yard receivers and had one with 3 1000 yard receivers, plus Barry.   And people always shit on their line but forget that Lomas Brown was one of the best to velvet play the game.  

They had years with good offenses. Herman Moore was very good. QBs put up some numbers but not sure how a good a guy like Scott Mitchell was.

They weren’t on Tv all the time so that’s probably a reason the rest of the Oline guys are unknown.

37 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

As Good as Sweetness, Sayers and Brown were, Barry was better.  He just flat was better.  Sweetness was incredible, Gale couldn’t stay healthy, and Jim Brown was heavier than the average starting defensive lineman at the time.  

Earl was also incredible but was run into the ground.  His impact was great, but that’s not even a conversation.  

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.  GOAT in my book is Sweetness.  Just amazing all around.

8 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

They had years with good offenses. Herman Moore was very good. QBs put up some numbers but not sure how a good a guy like Scott Mitchell was.

They weren’t on Tv all the time so that’s probably a reason the rest of the Oline guys are unknown.

Lol, I’m not sure how “velvet” came through in my post.  Was holding my almost 2 month old in one hand.   Meant to say one of the best to “ever” play the game.  

Just now, MIkeHoncho said:

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.  GOAT in my book is Sweetness.  Just amazing all around.

I won’t argue it too much.  Got to watch all of Barry’s career and the latter parts of Sweetness (though I’m a big dork and have watched hundreds of hours of NFL films breakdowns of all of these players).   Just my opinion 

47 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Not according to this they didn't. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_1,000-yard_receiving_trios